Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Beirne easily makes the SA XV and the likes of Ryan & McCarthy are there or there about, in a combined team Beirne and Etzebeth would easily be the starting SR and then the likes of McCarthy, De Jager, Ryan, Snyman would all be around the same level. Jean Kleyn wasn't even good enough to make the Irish training squad yet was good enough to make the SA 23 6 times last season, sometimes you need to stop putting the opposition on a pedestal and just look at the facts. Kleyn along with the likes of Orie and Mostart (the current version ofcourse, he used to be a great player) wouldnt make an Irish squad and if they did they wouldnt get near the 23 bar a lot of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

For the RWC and ignoring development, the future and all other stuff that was thrown around at the time, Kleyn would have been a better option for Ireland than McCarthy.

There are some posters on another thread claiming that McCarthy wasn't even ready for the intensity that England brought last Saturday.

Regardless of all the same guff poster about Kleyn I really don't understand how Farrell missed out on using him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The only way he is useful in a year or two is if we have significant injuries and none of the younger guys improve.

From an IRFU perspective they aren't at a 'pretty high level' if AF does not believe they should be in his expanded panel.

If a player is good enough they've shown they can be getting Irish caps within weeks of arriving on the island.

It doesn't really impact the IRFU planning at all so I am not sure why they would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

McCarthy might be in a year, Ryan has no shot. McCarthy is a pretty raw player honestly. Tons of potential but raw as hell.

I mean this isn't exactly apples to apples as we play different systems but still. Baird i think would be in south african contention pretty quickly in back row.

I can't even get around the mindset that has ryan and snyman on same level. Every team in the world would choose the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its the same paradox where scotland are actually not that great but because they bring their game up for england theyre suddenly seen as world beaters

• Advertisement

Capture capping a player and what you'd previously posted about giving them 'a shout in the Irish set up' are two very different things.

Again, AF isn't building a culture that would do that to a player. His words would lose a lot of meaning with the guys in camp.

I mean exactly but also both those things happen all the time in international rugby. Those aren't small risks .

If it happens and Frisch is still available then he gets his shot, if he isn't then they pick another guy.

AF isn't going to block a player's pathway based on an eventuality like that.

Given how little Ireland planned to rotate during the WC, Kleyn would have made zero difference to the Irish team and was no loss that he got to play for the country of his birth and win a WC.

Even if he was fit right now he wouldn't be getting into the Irish six nations side either.

AF 'missed out' on absolutely nothing, it would have been Kleyn who would have missed out if a sizeable portion of Munster fans got their way and he was given a capture cap.

That's what planning is though, right? Making decisions based on eventualities.

I see where you are coming from on the culture aspect. There is something to that but its hard to quantify.

• Advertisement

McCarthy on current form would definetly be there or there about, Ryan on current form wouldnt get in but going back to the last RWC the general consensus with neutral is Ryan and Etzebeth would likely have been the starting 4 & 5, largely because they complimented each other the best. Based on his reputation alone Ryan would be in the conversation at least with De Jager & Snyman.

You are right about the systems argument but ultimately someone like Kleyn should be making an Irish squad at the very least if he's good enough to make the SA 23. Especially if SA's SR depth is as strong as you are making out.

I think the issue here is you like many listen/believe too much media and it leads to you putting certain players on a pedestal regardless of what the fact's show. In the Ryan/Snyman case the former has up until this season been a key player for Ireland and considered virtually undroppable whereas the later has started only 1 match against a tier one nation since 2018. Sometimes just looking at the facts and stats is the way to go, just because you have a great highlight reel doesnt automatically make you world class, especially in a position as attritional as second row.

Simple, he missed out on him because he wasn't good enough for our squad.

Well those posters are talking nonsense, McCarthy showed up well against NZL at the RWC and France (who have more powerful forwards than England) so he should have no issue being ready for England.

Seeing someone as emergency cover and planning to have them involved in future 23s are very different things.

I dont think the culture aspect is hard to quantify any more than how you could quantify the loss of any of these players. These players spend more time with their club mates than the international squad - if they hear AF and the IRFU is misleading players and hurting their careers why would anyone trust them?

Imagine how upset Healy would be currently if AF had given him a capture cap, like many here wanted, and he never saw the light of the Irish squad again, especially if he was mislead during the process. He'd be riding the bench or in the stands for Munster knowing he could be elsewhere.

If Munster did tell the IRFU that the French were sniffing around Frisch and AF threw him in as a late sub against Wales or Italy and never brought him into a squad again he understandably wouldnt be happy. Other IQ players would also think twice about joining Irish sides if they felt the system would try to capture cap them and block their future career pathways.

There are so many downsides for the IRFU, with emergency squad depth being the only short to medium term upside.

Kleyn was a much better option for Ireland at the time of the RWC, long term, McCarty might have been the better option but that will be hard to quantify as both players are basically playing international rugby in different competitions and against different oppositions.

Kleyn was in no way 'a much better option' as AF was never planning to rotate his side significantly during the tournament and the 22 minutes McCarthy played outside of Romania, only due to another player getting injured, and during that time he performed well.

The performance we've seen of McCarthy justified his selection. It's easy enough to quantify, Kleyn is too slow and isnt skilful enough for Ireland.

I think its more grey than you are painting it. You could tell Frisch the truth. You could be in our plans going forward, you have x and y to work on and we want to cap you. I don't think you should cap someone just because they could leave, but both kleyn and frisch are good enough that its a real possibility.

I really would love to see a poll on this with non irish and non south africans because i think snyman would walk it.

I'd turn it around and say we are way too much into the irish bubble and overrate some of our players.

There is no evidence that AF hasn't had those exact conversations with the players.

Frisch was on the Emerging Ireland tour so I'd be shocked if he wasn't given things to work on to get him into the Irish picture and get caps.

McCarthy may certainly be faster, Kleyn offers more though in the scrum and in counter rucking. McC has a tendency to use up energy on rucks that are lost and to cough up penalties

I reckon Kleyn (if in the Irish RWC squad) would have seen more game time than McC.

• Advertisement

True but the idea of capping someone is that you guarantee that all that development will happen in ireland. You can straight up tell him that and he can say no to the cap. It doesn't have to be a secret.

The player has already decided to pick up their life and move to Ireland. What the capture cap does is say 'if things do not work out for you when trying to break into the Irish squad we want to ensure you've less choice in your career'.

The talk in the thread earlier was pretty disturbing, wishing that they'd given Healy a capture cap so he could have been forced to stay in Ireland with Scotland off the table for him and if he wasnt needed at Munster he could be forced to go to Ulster or Connacht.

A player developing and potentially playing for Ireland is already spoken with them before they sign for a province. If everyone is being straight up with each other then there is no reason for a cap until the player is needed.

You can look at polls all you want but the evidence is here for all to see, started the 3rd test v Wales in 2022 is his only start against a tier 1 side since 2018. The fact that some fans call him "world class" or think he'd walk into a combined Ireland/SA side show how poorly informed some fans are, he's very talented and has potential to be world class on his day but come on, lets get back to the real world for just a second.

20 wins from 22 games a win record of over 90% would suggest our players are just fine...what's overrated is suggesting a player that's started 1 test match versus a tier 1 nation in 6 years would "walk into" a combined Ireland/SA side though.

All the evidence points to you being wrong - there was very little rotation throughout the squad, even for guys who were in camps and getting caps for years.

There was no chance they were parachuting Kleyn in and giving him minutes outside of an injury crisis.

Mail from MRSC tonight.

MRSC Membership & Season Ticket Renewal Dates

We are delighted to announce that 2024/25 Season Ticket and Munster Rugby Supporters Club Membership renewals will open on Tuesday 2nd April at 10AM

Of course we would want to ensure they have less choice. That's good for ireland. We want good players to stay in ireland.

The underlying assumption you are making is that none of these guys would ever be good enough for ireland so its some kind of cruel move. That's not it at all.

Yea in the real world, any coach would pick the 6'10 guy who can offload over anyone and dominate in the lineout over a guy who hasn't had power in years. Jesus christ, its like hardcore delusion.

The only knock on Snyman is health. That's it. Otherwise he is a far superior player.

Ireland have tons of absolutely world class players. I don't think anyone but Irish fans thinks Ryan is one of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any coach except Rassie Erasmus and Jacques Nienaber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Advertisement