Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ribs1234

What’s with all the posters saying that Ireland wouldn’t have been able to keep the ball for 90 seconds without giving away a penalty? Week after week the provinces can do it. England managed to hold on to it for longer in the end game without sealing off so the proof that the Murray kick was the stupidest choice is in the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

because it was very unlikey and they were in a dangerous position so close to their own line, pretty simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I would agree if the player coming in was Hansen or someone like Nash who's gone well there. Even though Larmour is well established at test level he hasn't done enough in his recent showing's to warrant making the XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not in your own 22, while the referee is fully aware that you're trying to kill the game. It's insanely risky. One player slips off his feet and its game over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭phog

Teams (provinces included) seldom play the ball in their own 22 for periods of time, even less so against teams that have been better at the breakdown for almost the entirety of the match.

And again, even less so when trying to kill the clock, you have refs screaming use it, then the pressure on your own team not sealing off or to not knock the ball on.

I'll guarantee you, had Murry not kicked and we gave away a penalty, we'd have the same heads screaming why didn't he kick the ball away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I dont know if you know how betting actually works but -4 is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Depends on how you play it, this is coming I expect from BOD talking about the NZ game, he was roaring at them to stop the one out runners and do a little play between two to three players because the ref will give a penalty. Not to kick the ball away

Against NZ it was one out runners and it was also a ref who loved a high scoring game and didn't like teams closing out games.

The kick was the wrong position and then if they wanted to take from that position then a player with a better boot....

But I still think with 90 seconds left Ireland could of kept the ball in the forwards and played the game out but it's just an opinion

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Should have just thrown it to Baird and let him run it in from 80m.

lowe should have moved infield but he stayed on his wing, passing to crowley probably would have gained the same amount of ground more or less

and its 'would have' not 'would of'

• Advertisement

I won't say anything about the lack of Capitals 😂

Anyway as I said it's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So..... who likes the globetrotters this week?

correct in that i also made a mistake, arguably yours was much worse though

Nah don't think that mate.

Especially when you consider the post you quoted doesn't include the words 'would of'

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frisch_The_Frenchie

If James Ryan was fit and starting against England, we win that match. I get Joe is the shiny new toy, but our strongest pack has Ryan in the row. Very frustrating to see how few fans (of any province) get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Seadin

I can't understand some people on here saying that Murray did the right thing to kick the ball away. We were in a glorious position to run the clock down. 90 secs is very short. If the English haven't got the ball they can't score.

Murray is a poor player and is rusty for not being directly involved the last few seasons. He lost us that game and no hiding that. When he looks back at it he will know he made a really terrible decision that cost us the Grand Slam. I hope Ireland aren't dented by this and wake up for Scotland next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We didn't lose the game from one single moment, we were incredibly lucky to even be that close on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, we could have been a score or two down by half time, England probably should have had another try at least. We lost because England brought their absolutely best Twickenham game and we weren’t ready for it. 6/2 conspired with injuries to ruin our defence and far too many players had poor games, Murray being only one of them.It’s a pity about the b2b slam slipping away but this should chasten Farrell somewhat. He loves having to deal with adversity or whatever but he got it wrong on Saturday and it cost us. That at least shakes off the wc exit, we have new tragedies to come to terms with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Because if was the correct percentage play. You won't find one coach who would think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

It's very frustrating how fans grossly over rated James Ryan. To think that him merely being on the pitch means we would have won on Saturday. The arrogance knows no bounds. He's a good player, not a great player. 7.5/10 standard relative to other second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The option to kick was correct IMO, it would have been a hell of risk to keep the ball deep inside our half for 90 seconds.

However giving Engkand a lineout on our 10 metre line was not the right option. I was actually surprised they didn't try to catch and drive and win a penalty.

To my mind we needed to put the ball into their half and meet them just inside their half even if it had meant not finding touch and letting them run back at us.

Two games stick out in my mind, both against NZ, the game that never happened in 2013. We kept the ball and ultimately paid the price and in 2018 we kicked it back to them late on and held on (although I think NZ needed a try rather than a penalty). There's probably no right or wrong answer. But at the time I felt the kick was the right option, it was just poorly executed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

90 seconds isn't short. It's far, far longer than the average ball in play time for a single passage of play.

Referees operate on the basis that teams should be dissuaded from playing negatively to kill games so, in those scenarios, they are hyper-attentive to any indiscretion. Combine that with England surely absolutely flooding every breakdown to force a turnover/penalty and the chances of an Irish player going off their feet, instigating an illegal clear out or not coming through the gate perfectly is extremely high, far more so than in the other 78 minutes.

Regardless, it was a planned move. This wasn't Murray just deciding to kick it. There was a break in play and it would have been discussed and potentially word being given from the coaching team. Win the line out, set up a ruck using your freshest and strongest carrier further out the field to ensure clean ball with a much better angle for the kick. That is all discussed in advance.

The issue wasn't that it was the wrong play. The issue was that it was a poor execution of the right play. A player of Murray's kicking ability will be disgusted with not even reaching the 10m line from the edge of his 22 from that spot. England get a strike play opportunity well inside our half as opposed to potentially having to launch a different play if they were 10-15m further back which is where Murray would have been hoping to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

A sh*te box kick under pressure to the 10 metre line was certainly not correct. A kick into space with the chasers organised may have been appropriate a couple of phases later. With 6 fresh forwards on the field they should have backed themselves to play a few phases.

Thing is, from when Murray came on, he was always looking to kick, especially after we took the lead. It seemed like he had a misplaced sense of needing to take on all the responsibility himself. Like he decided he needed to protect Crowley or something. When Crowley had actually been one of the better performers and definitely was never found wanting in possession even if his kicking wasn't spectacular (a lot better than Murray's out of hand though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

Indeed you are correct but to immediately go for a kick and not go through one or two phases and get Lowe into a position to kick was a mistake. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

The kick was the wrong option as proven by the result. 2 points up and giving them the ball in our half is the wrong decision.

Yes refs don't like teams running down the clock but they can't do anything about it if the team doesn't do anything to give away a penalty.

Many teams have done this successfully and we are one of the best in the world.

Kicking the ball out and giving them time to settle and run a strike play was silly. If kicking the option should have been Lowe going very long, however keeping the ball was still a better option.

Cave or Lenihan said last night that in those 90 seconds you could have up to 8 phases of play, that's way too long to be pussy footing around in your own 22 in the dying minutes of a match, more so when England were not being dominated by our pack.

One of the issues was that our winger was on the other side of the field so the kick chase wasn't really an option but even then our defence wasn't to the standard we have come to expect from Ireland.

For whatever reason, we were below par and England upped their game, that's why we lost.

Kicking the ball out and giving them time to settle and run a strike play was silly. If kicking the option should have been Lowe going very long,

Well Lowe wasn't an option at time or he'd have been there as a receiver from Murray. For whatever reason the play was called that Murray would kick the ball form the back of the ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lowe could have been an option after one or two phases.

Advertisement