Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Why do politicians never refer to the epic over-population of the planet and its impact on resource depletion and pollution? The Earth's biophysical limits were crossed decades ago.

Countries, like Ireland, with stable or falling birthrates should urgently be looking at ways to adapt their economic systems within their ecological limits. And countries with high birthrates need to find ways of lowering them. To think that economic growth can continue forever is magical thinking.

There is a great deal of economic and social injustice in the big picture but there is no chance of finding solutions while the global population continues to explode. Cries of 'more houses' fail to take account of the bigger picture. Even sand (required for concrete) is running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Why are Ukranians not included on that graph do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ukrainians are not classed as 'asylum seekers', as they haven't claimed asylum (even though they are actual refugees fleeing a war). They are here under the EU's 'Temporary Protection Directive', designed to facilitate the sudden arrival of a large number of refugees in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks. Yes, I understand they are not considered IPAs, but to all intent and purposes, they are treated the same way by the govt, in so much as they still require housing and financial support.

It would have been helpful to show the numbers in the graph, with a clear distincition between the two groups, as this would demonstrate that the total numbers of IPA/Ukranians coming into the country are on a downward curve, not an upward one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the distinction is because they are from a European country and prospective EU member state. Also and because of this, they haven't 'permanently' moved to Ireland with no intention of ever returning to Ukraine - quite a few people who arrived after February 2022 did indeed subsequently return home.

As for the numbers, there are clearly far more people from Ukraine here than there are IPAs in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Yeah it's pretty grim. My post about Paris was in reference to things getting worse in the summer, as the French have a functional police force, while we have a notional one. It won't take much for an incident to spark up and cause chaos in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've seen the US and Australia brought up as examples a few times over the past few months on here.

How their spending Vs success rate at stamping out illegal immigration isn't as good as they'd hope.

And therefore Ireland implementing measures won't work well either. So it's all pointless.

Just a point from a geographical perspective that I feel needs to be made; we are simply not comparative to either.

The US has a massive land border with the South American continent. It's the go to destination for economic migration since it's inception.

Australia is the beacon of western civilization in the oceanic region. It can be reached via makeshift boat/cheap flights from a whole range of locations in Indonesia, Papa New Guinea and even further away, it is therefore somewhat accessible to a large portion of illegal economic migrants from south east Asia, central Asia and even further afield.

Ireland being a glorified rock on the western edge of Europe surrounded by rough seas and neighboured only by other successful rich nations means we are at a huge advantage when it comes to controlling immigration.

All we have to be is less attractive than the UK and a handful of EU countries for unskilled migrants and refugees and many of our current problems around these issues would pretty much simply fizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How do you solve a housing shortage? How have governments don't it in the past?

build homes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although the world population contrinues to rise, and will do so for several more years, you will be reassured to hear that fertility rates have and are falling in many, many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Compared to the UK and Mediterranean, Australia is a much further distance by boat. They've never actually received a large number by boat, or a large number of boats. From these stats and similar I've seen the most boats they've received in a year was 300.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/asylum-boats-statistics/

The Uk has had 45,000 boats attempting to cross in a year. The Australian push back policy does look to have been effective, but between 2013 and 2017 when the policy started they only had to push back 31 boats.

As for us being less attractive than our EU neighbors that might be difficult given we've the 2nd highest GDP in the world and an open border with a country which receives a huge number of boat crossings. Will the Uk's Rwanda policy be effective if it ever gets off the ground? The Australian offshoring policy on which it was based looks a total disaster. It didn't seem to bring about any reduction in attempted numbers, cost a fortune and lead to treating people arguable as bad as the Magdalene Laundries, workhouses etc. Yet this is what a lot of our anti-immigration movement seemingly want to cheer for.

Babies and children were exposed to extreme levels of violence, abuse, neglect, assault and trauma, both within the detention centres on Manus Island (2012–13) and Nauru (2013–) and subsequently in the community in Nauru, causing severe harm to their health, well-being and development. Parents reported that their children played with cockroaches because they had no toys.119 Children as young as five reportedly attempted to kill themselves.120 Children were wetting the bed until early-to-mid adolescence.121 Despite being repeatedly warned of the potentially irreparable harm to children, Australia continued to transfer and hold them offshore, did not take steps to protect them effectively from identified harms, and resisted evacuating critically ill children even when they had been determined to be in need of immediate psychiatric treatment in an in-patient child mental health facility.122 By 2018, children on Nauru were so traumatised that several began to present with a rare psychiatric condition known as traumatic withdrawal syndrome (or ‘resignation syndrome’), involving progressive social withdrawal and reluctance to engage in usual activities. The most serious stage of the disorder is when the child enters a profound withdrawal and is unconscious or in a comatose state, at which stage many were evacuated to Australia.

https://www.kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au/sites/kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au/files/Policy_Brief_11_Offshore_Processing.pdf

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Posts-R-Us

Why doesn't the government temporarily suspend the asylum process, at least at Dublin airport, and force the airlines to return people who destroy their documents, like what happens when you arrive in a country without a valid visa? A temporary suspension until we sort out our own house, and have space in dedicated processing centers to actually host new asylum applicants?

And for the inevitable responses regarding our international obligations - EU countries brought in temporary border controls between Schengen countries during the refugee crisis - again it doesn't have to be permanent. Surely its the logical thing to do, when we are literally giving people tents to sleep on the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

We have a government that essentially takes orders from NGO's, who will never let them do something like that. Its like the government has been kidnapped by the NGO's, and is holding a gun to their head in the form of legal action.

Hopefully with the recent referendums we are seeing the start of a backlash against NGO driven policy.

This question has been asked and answered several times already.

What you see on tv when people show up without a valid visa isn't really applicable to the asylum process. Most people in the invalid visa situation will simply turn around and willingly go on the return flight. From what I can gather, if there's any doubt on the person being refused entry from the flight origin country, both immigration services will work together to find a country earlier in the person's journey who will accept them. The airlines will simply facilitate the person on the flight, they don't actually deal with any of the legalities of the situation.

What some countries, such as Australia and the US do, is to have a pre-clearance system to make it next to impossible for anyone to board a flight to their country who might seek asylum. I'm not sure how that would work in Ireland being within the CTA and EU. If it was possible I'd imagine it would have no affect on immigration other that to make the process slower and more bureaucratic for people who wanted to travel into and out of the country in general. Anyone wanting to claim asylum could come through without documentation anyway as we have an open border with NI.

TLDR: Ryanair doesn't have a convenient solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,265 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I regret watching this as it makes my blood boil

It's basically Ireland's version of the Calais Jungle. Some scourge on our country that it's come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Posts-R-Us

I don't think you understood me.If someone is arriving without documentation, ie, without valid proof they can enter the country, then the airline that they arrived in with should return them to their point of departure. Most airlines refuse to bring someone who doesn't display valid proof they can enter the destination country, as they will be stuck trying to bring them back. If I try to fly to Thailand without a visa, the airline must bring me back.

And a temporary suspension of the asylum process, would mean rejection for someone landing without documentation claiming asylum, as we don't have the ability to accommodate any more applications.

The open border with Northern Ireland obviously makes stopping all undocumented entries impossible, but you can make it more difficult as a deterrent. Perfect is the enemy of good after all.

I think the airline must bring you back but in practice it seems immigration will liaise with the country you've arrived from that they'll accept to take you back.

An example came recently where an African guy arrived through Iceland. I'm not sure what happens that single guy if we try to force the airline to take him back. But if it's happening with any sort of regularity either the airline or the origin country will start insisting on pre-clearance checks.

Let's say there's 3,000 IPA's coming in to Ireland each year through airports. Do you really think airlines and origin countries are just going to start dealing with that many people on our behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

Unfortunately it isn't quite as simple as that. Infrastructure is needed first. Things like water for example.

And water is just one thing. You can't just go building houses anywhere, things like GPs, school places etc will be required.

All of those things need to be planned for and sorted before we start building tens of thousands of houses and the water issue alone could take years to remedy.

That is what makes the current situation unsustainable. If it keeps going as is there'll be thousands more living in tents in Dublin and probably in other cities too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

Australia’s “push-backs” of asylum seeker boats are illegal under international law and “may intentionally put lives at risk,”

Yes, that's the whole point of defending the borders with an armed force, as any country should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

If an asylum seeker somehow manages to get on a flight to Ireland, that's it. They're here and they have the right to apply for asylum even though they may have broken the law to get here. Very few people are sent back on the flights they got off.

Even if airport officers know that the asylum seeker already has asylum in another EU country, they still cannot send them back to that country. What happens is the officers will register the arrival, take finger prints, and get a taxi for the asylum seeker to go into Dublin and stay in accommodation (if there is any available. Also, our taxi bill must be enormous!).

The asylum seeker is also given an appointment to attend the International Protection Office (IPO) where their application will be considered in detail. This process takes ages of course and then there are appeals until such a point that we just give up and let them stay in Ireland on "Stamp 4" (a pathway to citizenship and the same permission we would give to say the non-European wife of an Irish person).

In cases where the IPO rejects someone's appeals, we still don't physically deport them.

If the asylum seeker already has asylum in some other EU country, then we can ask that country if they will take charge of the asylum seeker again. That country usually says no (unless, I imagine, it's Ireland. I'm sure we take our escaped asylum seekers back no probs!).

The asylum seeker always gets to enter Ireland and walk around freely once they can get themselves here. Some may try to go to the UK and then claim asylum there.

This is why we must do all we can to ensure that chancers cannot board planes in the first place. And this is where increasing our visitor visas comes into play. A visitor visa is pre-authorisation to present at our border. Airlines will not allow a passenger to board without a valid visitor visa if indeed the passenger requires a visitor visa, because airlines are fined for allowing this to happen. Granted, airline staff can make mistakes and sometimes they don't know which nationalities need visitor visas, so they let the certain people board planes by mistake.

Also, to get around visitor visas, asylum seekers will often use fake EU passports to board flights. Then they dispose of these documents. So this is why airline staff need to be better trained and better technology is needed to identify fake documents. Again, this will prevent chancers from getting on flights in the first place.

Do you think we're going to deploy our army along the six counties?

30,000 people died trying to cross the Mediterranean in the last ten years.

Do you really think they'll be deterred by having to get a flight into Belfast and the bus across the border, instead of flying direct to Dublin?

Sorry you wasted all that time typing but this really isn't a good idea, at most it's a token gesture that'll just put hassle and cost on all the other people coming in and out of the country.

Building houses is hard, I very much agree.

All the more reason then not to vote in a bunch of anti-immigration loudmouths who'll achieve nothing but to prop up another 5 years of FFG government and the disastrous housing policies that come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are young men in your area lining up to enter the construction industry like they used to in the past?

They certainly aren't in mine.

I've worked on sites and while the money is good it can wreck the body over time and people these days are better educated and there are easier options with better salaries out there for them.

Do I need to spell it out for you that with a labour shortage in the construction industry your bright idea of "build homes" is pie in the sky stuff similar to what the likes of PBP would come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ok.

So who would you like to see in power instead to sort things out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

This suggests we should have visas for all non-EU countries, except maybe the USA?

The construction industry isn't attractive enough to young people as is.

Need to get salaries up for the people actually doing the work and commit to long term public investment.

Gotta move to left economic policies to see this happening.

• Advertisement

For the reasons above I'll be voting SF or SF.

Nothings going to change on immigration anyway so why waste a vote, or worse, vote for someone who'll join another FFG government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement