Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

It's about as bad of a decision as you will see. It's just such a simple and obvious foul. Just like Nunez winning the penalty, it's a simple and obvious foul. It shouldn't take more than 2 seconds on the pitch for the ref to give it. For the VAR, it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to tell the ref it's a penalty and have a look at the monitor.

TitianGerm, you'll be waiting a long long time to see a video where such a high boot isn't give as a foul. Let alone 40-50% of these high boot situations not being given as a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd imagine it must matter because that's what they're saying Oliver called it as and what VAR agreed with

I can't remember exactly what the quote was but the commentator said that the VAR check was complete on the basis of it being a natural height to clear the ball or something like that

So suggestion to me is that if Doku gets the ball first it's OK. The problem is though I don't think he does and 24hrs later people like Dermot Gallagher who's paid by Sky to talk about these things says definitively "There's no question Doku gets the ball first" and "Oliver thinks Doku hits it first, and he was right"

I have no idea why Sky don't challenge that, they own the footage and the slow motion replays. The 2 guests both say that they think it hits Alexis first but they don't question Gallagher on it or show him the slow motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What McGinn did was a definite red, just like a forceful high foot will always be called.

I'm not taking a side on whether it should be called or not. My personal opinion has no bearing on anything.

The simple fact is some card it and others don't.

Don't mix up what I'm saying with me defending anything. It appears you are doing that.

I simply stated that different referees have different opinions on things.

I said that suggesting that a referee is treating Liverpool unfairly is ridiculous.

I also said that Nunez scored a goal a couple of weeks ago where his foot was very high and close to a defenders head and it wasn't called but another referee would have called it.

I'm sure if the referee did call it you'd be on here telling us how referees are unfair to Liverpool. The fact you had weren't on here telling us that Nunez getting away with that and calling yesterday's incident a definite yellow card would make you a hypocrite, that's if you seen the Nunez one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Only seen the highlights on YouTube so obviously can't comment on the flow of the game but it did look like Liverpool should have at the very least had a chance with the Pen at the end to walk away with 3 points.

Had City, who are at full strength lost to that Liverpool side it would have been bad..

Arsenal have hit form - just have to wonder if they'll hold it for the final 10 games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the distinction is contact with another player. I think it’s true that a dangerous high foot that doesn’t make contact is sometimes called, sometimes not. I can’t think of any examples where a dangerous high foot that does make contact isn’t given as a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

TBH honest, regardless of the non penalty, Liverpool had 3 guilt edge opportunities to win that game in the 2nd half. They should have put them anyway!

Bar the first 20 minutes, City were unbelievable poor. Liverpool completely nullified De Bruyne and once you do that, you effectively reduce City to 9 men as Haaland is ineffective without him on the ball. City only sparked again towards the end by replacing De Bruyne with Doku and changing tact.

Arsenal will be thrilled with what they saw yesterday as they're more than capable of taking the game to City, the same as Liverpool did yesterday. I was just so surprised by the City performance. This is time of year when they usually lay down their credentials, blow their title rival out of the water in the grudge match and romp home the remainder of the year. But they just looked confused, uncomposed and tired for large spells. I think Arsenal could beat them at the Etihad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Last week on Konaté by Yeats

Liverpool didn't get the foul but got given the drop ball

And everybody else was outraged by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

From Law 12: Fouls & Misconduct

PLAYING IN A DANGEROUS MANNER

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Doku's challenge must not have met the criteria. 🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You are genuinely just talking circular nonsense.

I am watching football at all levels for nigh on 40 years and I have not once seen an incident like yesterday, where there is a clear high foot making contact with the chest area, and a foul has not been given. Yesterday was the first time I have ever seen the ref say play on in such a clear incident (and with VAR at hand so the ref being unsighted shouldn't be an issue).

You said earlier that 40/50 % of these go unpunished, not even a foul given - it can only be taken that you are on the complete wind up at this stage.

btw, my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool. It's a simple football decision, it's embarrassing that people get bogged down on who they support when discussing such things. Your comments about Nunez and me be a hypocrite are straight out of one flew over the cuckoo's nest. Do you want me to go through every decision regarding Liverpool over the last few years? I'll start with one yesterday, Salah should have been booked for diving. At the same time, Kyle Walker probably should have had 5 yellow cards in the match. Does this make me a Liverpool or City supporter in future in your eyes?

This is it. This shouldn't have to be explained to some folk.

A Liverpool fan trying to now sound less silly is the answer to that question you ask.

As I said I'm just talking about the facts.

As mentioned above the tackle on Konate by Yeats is a recent example of the foul not being called nevermind carded.

I had no idea you were a Liverpool fan until I read your first post in this conversation. I really don't care who anybody supports. I support Athletic club and I like Blackburn Rovers. I've no skin in the game. I'd have been happy to see Liverpool beat City yesterday as I'd just about rather see them win the league than City. I really hope Arsenal win it as it's been a long time since their last title.

I honestly have no idea what you are on about at his stage. I await your evidence that 40-50% percent of chest high challenges with the boot are waved play on by refs.

There's a serious issue in the game if people genuinely believe that Doku didn't yesterday doesn't constitute a foul.

Just to clarify, I never said I'm a Liverpool fan. Your commentary around that is absolutely embarrassing. I support my LOI team and the ROI. And a gra for Milan also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man City's press officer working extra time in the last 24 hours, setting up an interview with Sky Sports to defend the refereeing decision yesterday!

Pep already had his comments before the game about the referee and now this afterwards.

• Advertisement

I'm getting tired of you saying I believe it wasn't a foul. I never said that.

I don't have to provide evidence that it's not called as often as it is. If you disagree then you provide evidence that I'm wrong.

I said based on your posts that I came to the conclusion that you are a Liverpool fan. That would go some way to understanding your ridiculous posts, accusations and insulting comparisons.

Anyway I've said my bit as regards it. Personally it think all high challenges should be blown up as a foul. There's lots more stuff that is let go by some referees quite often that in my opinion should not be let go.

And another thing, yesterday what Ederson did is a foul because he prevented a goalscoring opportunity and should have been a red card. At the same time Nunez dived like he had just been shot. He should get a yellow card for that, all dives should be a yellow card. If you watch it again you'll see that Nunez has begun to dive before he gets to Ederson's leg.

So just in case you get it wrong, definite foul, penalty and red card is what should have happened. The dive should be punished as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The irony of your username to suggest Nunez should be booked for diving for that penalty is frankly the most ridiculous post match comment I’ve seen yet.

... dived, or feckin tried to avoid getting smashed with planted feet by a body flying into him at speed?! If you're considering that a dive, then literally no-one can ever move to try to avoid contact again without being booked. I mean, by that rationale Mac Allister dived too by pre-emptively turning his body to try to avoid the chest high studs-up boot coming at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Wiped out is what match of the day said about the tackle on Nunez. I don't think he could get a red on double jeopardy if it's still a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lads why do ye even bother engaging with him/her. They are clearly here to troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As a side not aswell as the constant refereeing debates I'm sick of hearing about the supposed injury crisis or inexperienced team Liverpool have.

Whether its due to Klopp or just a fantasic infrastructure in place Liverpool have insane depth from their academy. Theres a minimal if any drop in quality with regard these youngsters coming in. Liverpool have an insane production line going at the minute.

Hes been crocked all year but last year Bajcetic was actually an upgrade on Fabinho when he broke into the team, This year Bradley is already better than Trent at RB, theres very little between Quansah and Matip when it comes to backing up Konate/VVD so it just makes sense to put any minutes into Quansah to develop him over Matip who is winding down at this stage. Similarly they've a splattering of backup midfielders who wouldn't be regulars (Thiago/Gravenberch) injured but again doesnt actually affect the team as McConnell/Clark have been adequate to take their places on the bench.

Nunez should be booked for diving?? The keeper had to go with an injured foot from kicking him so hard...please go and give your head a wobble FFS.

I didn't say there wasn't contact. Read my list again, I said he started his dive before he got to Ederson's foot. A simple jump up in the air would have avoided contact.

I did say it was a penalty, I did say Ederson should be sent off.

Just because my opinion differs to yours does not mean I'm trolling. I could report you but I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

The fact the fringe players coming in have done great doesn’t mean it’s still not a point that Liverpool are in the midst of an injury crisis and that said players are inexperienced for the most part. They had their 2nd choice keeper, 2nd choice RB & LB starting and 5th, arguably 4th choice centre half starting along side Van Dijk.

Quality finish from Isak there, he would be a fine addition for a lot of teams around IMO.

How the hell did he start his dive before contact when his last move was to touch the ball away before he got tackled?? How can you dive and take the ball around the keeper in the same move, he literally got kicked within milliseconds of touching the ball. And got properly hoofed too.

I don't even know whyI engaged in this one, you're either a complete WUM or someone who has never touched let alone kicked a ball in his life, good luck.

Terrific player alright, if a bit injury prone. Arsenal were very interested in the past, but the price-tag was too high for them and Newcastle swooped in instead. He probably was overpriced at the time, since it was mostly based on potential - but he's since earned that valuation with his performances.

Great player Isak...I know Arsenal are hard on getting Toney, but Isak would be the one for me if I was an Arsenal fan.

Given Newcastle's riches it'll be next to impossible to get anyone out of there that they don't want to lose, short of players running down their contracts. They signed him to a 6 year deal, so he's got 4 more seasons remaining after this one.

• Advertisement

I played for 30 years and Ive been coaching 12 now and that's not including the coaching jobs I did in my 20s.

This is just before contact and you can see that Nunez is well into his dive. The face on him like he's just been shot. 😁

Anyway, nice goal from Isaak. Newcastle have been poor but it's 1-1. Chelsea just haven't created enough chances in the final third with all the possession they've had.

That’s a good shout actually he would do well at Arsenal, Newcastle by all accounts have to sell to buy, he’d cost Arsenal a lot but they would sell to them I’d say.

That image really doesn't look like it's before contact, especially when you watch the video and look for that moment.

Also - just go back and look at the incident in real time. There is literally no time for someone to dive there.

That picture is showing the contact and if someone over 6 came running out at me full pelt and kicked me full force in the leg as i was sprinting past him, I wouldn't be exactly smiling!

Nunez dived, you couldn't make this stuff up. We really are through the looking glass people. We live in a world of pure make believe now.

It is right before contact. If he'd jumped over him there's less chance of injury as well. He took contact because he started diving before he got there and didn't have time to get his feet up.

Also you wouldn't have a face like that on you the second you felt contact, it takes a second or two before the pain hits. I'm sure you know that from personal experience.

Literally just go watch the incident at regular speed and decide if you really think there's time there for making faces and dives. The whole thing happens at absolutely breakneck speed.

This is an argument that only exists in slow-mo, where narratives get added based on ignoring physics. It's an argument that doesn't exist in real time.

(also, your reference image is definitely after contact - just look at the video again and watch for that raised arm. he's already been clattered at that point.)

Ya, if they could negotiate with Newcastle. He would be a serious coup.

My main issue with Toney on the field is he offers very little in the way of work rate and defensive play, bar City with Haaland, not many top teams will accommodate someone like him.

• Advertisement

This is gas stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not sure you could be anymore wrong about this

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

You sounds like an expert in sports management, coaching, pain management which believe me if you have kids differs greatly from person to person:)

Their keeper is out for a month because of his rash challenge, his rashness turned the game.

It is just a mistimed challenge from a keeper who does not usually do a lot of tackling in matches because yes he is a keeper which I learnt from 150 years of coaching:)

Quality stuff from Mudryk that.

I played for over 30 years and was fouled many times. Not once did I feel pain instantly, it always took a second or two at least to register in my brain.

As for Ederson's injury, I never discussed that. If you are trying to suggest I didn't say it was a rash challenge I don't know where you are getting that from? Maybe be ause I said he prevented a goalscoring opportunity you came to the conclusion that I didn't think it was a rash challenge? I just mentioned the prevention of a goalscoring opportunity because that's an instant red card.

• Advertisement

He looks like he's fiiiinally starting to find some confidence in recent weeks.

Any more wrong about what? His dive? His facial expressions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Look at the position of the ball. If that image was the moment before contact then Ederson would have been sent off for such a wreckless challenge.

Why would the keeper attempt to take down an opponent when the ball was already that far away and going to run out of play before anyone got near it?

From the position of the ball it's obvious that the contact occurred moments before hand, Nunez had just nudged it out of Ederson's path when the contact was made.

Please stop with the dive talk, you're just making yourself sound silly on this one....

As for the facial expression stuff, christ I don't even know where to start with that. Do we need to take a record of everyones facial reactions now to gauge where they're at on the pain barrier? Like if Jesus goes down in his next Arsenal match, can we be like, ah he shouted louder this time, its still a penalty, but yellow card for the over exuberance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 28 table

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement