Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Aontu have canidates to vote for in next election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,764 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"doesn't remotely align with the Irish public"

34% of voters were against abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Aontú should replace the Ú with a D.

Mar níl ach AON TD acu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I understand what you mean but the abortion part in particular is a step too far for many.

They wont get any real support. 1 or 2 maybe 3 seats tops.

I think what you are looking for really is perhaps a party that is stricter as far as immigration is concerned, but I dont see a potential governing party with that outlook emerging at present.

How do you assimilate that statement with a Referendum that the majority of folks didnt care enough about to even bother voting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

On Friday here was a massive turnout for a referenedum which does not effect a large % of the population for what are the opening shots of the assult to topple the circus which dictates our country!!

• Hands up here, I joined Aontú today. They are the lone voice which broadly expresses what I am thinking, and Peadar Toibín is showing outstanding leadership as. Imparted to other current party leaders. They are the only party which has emerged in this noise of government parties & majority opposition being totally out of touch with the majority and it presently is listening to the citizens in political isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Good for you. I disagree with pretty much everything aontu stand for, but I also believe that political parties are important and if one aligns to your beliefs, more power to you.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Although it's refreshing that Aontú at least ask questions about immigration, a quick scan of their website reveals somewhat vague and unambitious policies.

Processing asylum claims in six months is hardly a massive improvement? I'd like to see 7 days.

Destroy travel documents = sent home: good.

Module housing also available to Irish = good.

I would give them a vote in LE and GE, but not my first preference.

"The asylum application process is shockingly slow. People genuinely seeking asylum should have their applications processed within 6 month and those who are not genuine and who don’t fulfil the criteria should be sent home within 6 months. False applications take resources off those who really need them.

Those who destroy their travel documents to confuse the application process or make it slower and longer should be sent home. It must be remembered that this is a small cohort of people. None the less we can’t afford to entertain for years those who are not asylum seekers but pretend to be.

Services or housing that are designed to help asylum seekers should be also available to Irish people in real need. For example, providing modular accommodation for asylum seekers and not for homeless Irish people is bound to sow division within society.

The Debate

Ireland should have a debate around the issue of immigration. It must be an honest, respectful and responsible discussion. Suppression of the debate will not make its necessity less but will push the natural anxiety of some underground to be harvested by less responsible people. Honest concern with regards migration can quickly be transformed into anti migrant sentiment by unscrupulous politicians and activists. Grave wrongs have been committed and lives have been lost when some politicians seek to manipulate anxiety to make political capital from this issue.

Suppressing an honest debate cedes the issue to these people. Our current government have held no useful dialogue on this issue and drawn on little of the expertise that is available in assessing and planning for immigration. It is a dereliction of duty to all our people that we muddle through blindly.

When people come to Ireland they must be treated with equality, respect and dignity. Discrimination of any sort is not acceptable and must be rooted out.

A sustainable migration plan should have broad democratic support after being discussed honestly and informed by the opinion of genuine experts. It must also fulfil our international and ethical responsibilities. Aontú seeks a migration plan that meets our obligations as a people, is economically and culturally enriching, humanitarian, and is sustainable in terms of capacity. The answer does not lie in extremes, its a nuanced debate that lies neither in walls nor in open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

They don’t appear to respond to questions directed to them on their website. I asked if they had any plans to run candidates in my in the next election. Nothing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think it was contrarianism more cynical opportunism using a referendum to publicise his party

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm a Liberal sort of chap but I can't help feeling the best place to be is a rebel Liberal in a Conservative ireland

Good summary, but how do they propose to send people "home" in 6 months?

If they have no docs, where is home?

In short, Is there any meat on the bones of the policy or is it all just populist soundbyte?

We can't have an immigration system whereby the deliberate destruction of travel documents by an illegal immigrant results in that immigrant acquiring the ability to stay in the destination country forever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And we don't, you have been reading far to much social media nonsense. First of all the destruction of documents does not happen at the border or at the detention centre so you have no chance of proving it happened and second destruction of the documents does not increase your chances of being granted residence, it means that your country of origin will not accept you back so you end up in some kind of suspended state.

What we need is a solution to deal with such people. At the moment all European states do the same thing - eventually give up on trying to send them back and just accept them. It is far to expensive to keep them locked up for ever, so perhaps some kind of very restricted residency - confined go using public transport, cap on wages, required to do regular community service... basically try to ensure they never get to live the dream while ensuring basic human rights.

I was replying to @BlueSkyDreams, who asked:

"Good summary, but how do they propose to send people "home" in 6 months?

If they have no docs, where is home?"

What are the answers to @BlueSkyDreams questions?

Those two questions imply that it is difficult to remove people who deliberately discard their travel documents.

I disagree with "give up trying to send them back and just accept them".

By doing that, we have rewarded the criminal

Yes, but what is Aontu's proposal to address this?

Where is the meat on the bones.

Well they are only party that admits we have a flawed immagration policy so that the starting point unlike all our other elected political parties with their heads in the sand,Our government made a big song and dance about cutting payments to new coming Ukrainins before last christmas but never bothered implementing these measures but they will pot up the carbon tax on heating oil without blinking an eye in the guise of saving the planet !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It is weird that any time there is a new party that seems to be more in tune with the working man, suddenly people are very interested in policy, as if they've ever read the policy of established parties.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

Established parties tend to have established policies, people know what they stand for. Because they are established.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

I think it very unlikely that the public knew what Aontu thought, or Aontu cared what the public thought, about the referendums.

Aontu fits the broken clock analogy.

All the 'Yes' politicians and parties back peddling is embarrassing though. In many cases they likely thought 'Yes' was the popular way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Exactly. We're not individuals, we've no right to our own national desires, we must take in the whole world to the point of ruination because some Irish people once emigrated. I really struggle to comprehend how the fascists can't understand this.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic, Aontu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I was tempted to vote for them in Northern Ireland election but chose not to vote for anyone. They seemed to believe in traditional Irish values. It seems if you are Irish nationalist you have no choice but to vote for ultra liberal parties. I noticed that Joe Brolly's brother was one of their politicians who was a former teacher of mine. His personality was similar to Joe's so that put me off voting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have no stated policy on divorce. They have previously accepted people who left the SDLP due to their support for same sex marriage but, again, have no stated policy.

I'd say they probably know that neither would plausibly be rolled back; but their core reason to exist is being anti abortion; which also wouldn't pass at a referendum. And the Supreme Court interpretation of the much looser provision for all graduates to have Seanad votes pretty much guarantees that you could not ban it legislatively without a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were founded to push a policy that the majority rejected. The party solely exists for that purpose, otherwise Toibin would still be on the SF front bench and would have been out campaigning for Yes/Yes like the rest of the party.

If you think that there's anything solid behind them going No/No, you're going to find the first branch meeting pretty challenging.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Based on the opinions expressed here Aontu should have a far higher % share of the electorate then the opinion polls suggest but they badly need more canidates to run in local and European elections .Surely Tobin has a great chance of being elected as an MEP ,pity they have not a few more elequent politans because at this stage in the game they are the only hope that middle Ireland have of representation in this country,.What is badly needed is a party who's policy is to secure our borders and prevent some of our most beautifull town and villages turn into cesspits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Would be nice to have a party that isn't on the far left when it comes to social issues. There's a serious lack of choice in Irish politics, Sure the majority voted for abortion but still 30% didn't, right now no political party represents that sizeable number of people.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The irony within your post. You feel that there is no choice in representing your views on an anti-choice party 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

No I'm just not pro killing babies in the womb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Based on the opinions expressed here Aontu should have a far higher % share of the electorate then the opinion polls suggest 

And what conclusion does one draw from that I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are many reason why people didn't vote.

Not caring or really what was in it was the main.

As for the no vote there also was many reason, it been called woke, wording, how we view our mother's againstvthe goverment. So no just because Aontù had a similar argument does not mean they are popular or people believe in there message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

My post doesnt mean i think aontu will be riotously popular just because they were on the same side as the popular vote

It was just my response to the idea that really the vote was much closer but the yes people didnt come out etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Aountu haven't a hope in urban centres, and unless they know the right people to fix the roads then they'll fall flat outside the Pale too. Most people haven't a clue who any of them are, they should have gotten their names out there during the referendum when the momentum was with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

One of their candidates in Cork City supporters an evangelist that believes he can cure autism by baptism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anna Daly. Runs Life FM. Regularly hosts anti vaxers and pro Russian bots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Becky Kealey also running in Cork. Was on Matt Cooper before the referendum and she came across as slightly deranged. They really don't have anyone credible.

Had a feeling it'd be her. Luckily I'm south central now so she's not near me.

• Advertisement

She was a South Central candidate in the last GE. Not sure where she'll be for the local elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They don't lean far enough to the right for me although I'd agree with some of their policies.

I still think Toibin is a shinner though just under a different name now and would still be with them if Mcdonald let the member have a free vote in the abortion referendum.

Is she? I thought she was north central. Doesn't really matter, not a chance of a seat anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The poll here before the recent referendums was a better barometer of public opinion than any other opinion poll I'd seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sure you might as well say that McDonald is still a FFer.

She would probably be still with them only she didn't get the nod to be put forward as a candidate.

But I'm happy to see her exactly where she is single handedly costing the shinners votes every time she opens her mouth.

Her bosses up in the Ardoyne won't be best pleased.

Sinn fein won the most tds they ever did in the last election with Mary Lou as leader. They will win more this time, with her as leader. How exactly is she costing them votes every time she speaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Aontu only have 1 TD but they don't even seem to have anyone else who's even close to becoming one. Who was the most successful Aontu candidate beyond Toibin in the last election? Did they even get to keep their deposit?*

As for their councilors - it may seem impressive that they got 3 elected in 2019, 1 year after the party was formed. However, they actually had 7 councilors (who had defected from other parties) before the election so in that context it was a mixed bag, at best.

They may have been the only party in the Dail to back the No votes but that doesn't mean that all No voters are suddenly interested in voting for them. These upcoming local elections are huge for them. Those are traditionally the springboard for politicians to get into the Dail. I'll be interested to see what their messaging will be like going into that.

*Just looking at the 2020 results. They received 41,575 votes and ran 26 candidates. Peader Toibin received 7,322 of those votes. That means that the other 25 candidates received an average of 1,370 votes each. Unless there was another outlier amongst that bunch then I reckon that that means that the rest of them all lost their deposits.

She is costing them votes on immigration because the people in traditional working class areas especially in Dublin who voted for SF last time now see them as traitors with their open borders policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Both Renua and Aontu were established on anti abortion views and ran candidates. The fact that only one of either was elected (not a chance that Tobin was elected on this view rather than his good Republican one) clearly means that the vast majority of 30% who voted against the referendum don't see it as their main issue in everyday life. The reason being that it is nothing more than an ideological one.

By now running in the euro elections Tobin is practically admitting that Aontu as a political party in Ireland is a dead duck, he's running for the hills in an attempt to secure his own political future, it's a clear eff you to his party colleagues.

Advertisement