Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

Please see paragraph after the word "Note".

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jesuisjuste

I am aware, and to me that indicates a recent death but I have no forensic training. I may be wrong but as far as I have seen neither the DPP, or the pathologist pulled in the time of death based on any of the evidence discovered. The guards of course pulled it in, but that is just a reflection of what they believed based on the other evidence they looked at, not based on the facts of the forensics as far as I can tell.

I do think that some of the evidence could provide further clarity on time of death though if revisited thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What they gained one way they could lose another. So lets say a garda or gardai, or ambulance personal contaminated the scene and for example stepped on a suspects footprint, which potentially was the only clue linking the suspect to the murder.

Now lets say its determined the time of death was a certain time, the suspect was in the general vicinity at the time, but there is no actual evidence they were close to the victim or potentially murdered them because the most important piece of hard evidence was destroyed.

What then?

Scene preservation essentially means having only minimal necessary people attending the scene doing necessary activities, everyone else should stay out, and nothing should leave the scene if possible without forensic examination.

I believe determining that somebody is certainly dead by one authorised person walking from beyond the cordon, reaching from a distance to check a pulse for e.g. is a necessary task, but tbh I don't think it would have mattered either way, and perhaps the guards on the scene felt that way too. They should be transparent about that though, we shouldn't have to guess.

I spent nearly 30 years as a Forensic Investigator half of which was with The MetropolitanPolice. I dealt with numerous murders and major crimes so I do speak with some authority on this subject. So when I read an article which has been plucked off the internet where the author spells the word greater as "grater" I find it hard to take it seriously.

• Advertisement

What's the point of having a time of death if you have no hard evidence to link the crime to someone? In this case the boot print (alleged or otherwise) was one of the few actual hard evidence clues! In fact it may have been the only actual clue! Unless someone can think of another one?

I mean it is hypothetical, but I'll entertain your point, I would say at worst, in this specific instance we would be in basically the same situation we are already in today, with no justice for Sophie after 27 years. To be honest though, I do think this is mostly a moot point.

In general though, in other instances of accidents and attempted murders, you would save a life, and you wouldn't be dealing with a murder at all, but attempted or whatever equivalent crime there is, with a living witness, that's why the protocol is set up and should always be followed, for the greater good.

I would love to hear directly from the attending guards, if any of them are still alive, based on current 30 years more experience and perhaps countless further murders (to which I would imagine they have been way more clued in to what to do) what is their opinion on the state of the blood etc., and body condition now? Some of the guards have been very vocal, but I haven't seen much from the ones whose evidence we discuss on here.

Everyone makes typo errors, including myself on a regular basis!

I agree its a moot point. If you contaminate the crime scene, it makes a conviction much more difficult. That is logical. Particularly in this case where the shoe print potentially could have been vital.

So as I said sure you could have determined she was a small but unlikely possibility she was still alive, but if you accidently tampered with vital clues, you could easily ruin the whole murder investigation and make a future conviction impossible.

You have it your way. I know my job and I know how it should be done. I was taught that preservation of life is paramount, which doesn't mean that you don't do everything humanly possible to preserve the scene. But I would certainly not want to face the family of a victim who had died because I had made an assumption that life was extinct from a distance.

And that will be my final word.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss, in fact it is probably one of the top couple of pieces of potential evidence. We have boot evidence at the scene, and boot lace eyelets in Bailey's fire, clearly extremely valuable information, in particular if you believe Bailey did it. It is about the best possible chance you could tie him to it of current available evidence.

FWIW I believe the pathologist thought they were Doc Martens based on body imprint. I assume the print is not ruled out as being a doc marten either, looks like it could be to me. I would also assume that they did investigate the eyelets, and they weren't a match (or inconclusive), or else we would have heard all about it and it would be in the DPP report. Doesn't rule him out of course either.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zola1000

@bjsc thanks for reply good few posts back regarding files the guards have and not releasing to DPP. some great posts here also. I'm still at loss though about various angles we keep trying to eek out when we won't have any reasonable change in for example time of death etc.

What I think we need to know is following

-has guards much other detail not out in public on other evidence , avenues for to review other suspects from the original time to now

-do we have exact concise list of physical items which remain in Garda procession for enhanced DNA analysis and what is timeline for completeness of such techniques on these items.

-will these techniques delay the cold case review file with DPP etc or when expected to conclude

-will Jim Sheridan's french angle be considered a possibility

I feel without any new credible evidence which can be truly verified in way back up original circumstantial evidence along with DNA , it's almost unthinkable the DPP can perform the U-turn that people think to steer towards IB.

The early morning time of death and food found in body is certainly a really important angle for me think it further opens lots of other suspects but I don't have anything as we don't have any true evidence. If number of people have passed away and others who are maybe in somewhat accessories to crime or protecting someone..they clearly feel it's not as bad to carry that guilt as it would be to someone who actually performed this horrific crime.

Like does anyone actually think we can get something new out of this case.. that original DNA checks hasn't..I know thats bleak.. but this case is so seriously compromised it maybe too late revive in way we want. We don't understand our legal system use multiple circumstantial evidence to string story together without some form of DNA go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Jim Sheridan needs a hook for his new show

So I'm guessing it would surprise you to know that the exhibit list makes no mention of a boot mark recovered from the scene nor of a single item recovered from the fire at The Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

Mods close thread, nothing to see here

Thanks for that critical information. It doesn’t surprise me. To clarify , the picture of the boot print does exist though, and it would be possible to carry out further analysis of that image to uncover additional information about the boot worn by the assailant. There are certainly images of Bailey from the timeframe, and I presume many other suspects as well, which could be cross-referenced.

At for the boot lace eyelets from the fire, is there any description within the exhibit list which contains anything left from the fire. If not, that would indicate to me that the Gardai did not consider it pertinent evidence, or it led them away from the line of enquiry they were following and so they didn’t bother to capture it at all. It is forensic evidence of the suspect after all, way more valuable than hearsay and he said she said. If they didn’t see value in retaining it, we should give much weight to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the shoe print matched Bailey's shoe size, I'd hazard a guess we'd have heard about it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The boots have gone down in importance since yesterday anyhow

Nothing new around here

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zola1000

@bjsc. This is excellent career and thanks also for posting. I'm in no such area myself but since reading this case over years I've found it baffling.

What do you think the approach of cold case review team is right now?

Would you consider that in all seriousness the case has to literally started from beginning using all possible avenues rather than focusing on suspect. Do you feel in standard investigations this approach taken by guards was inexcusable given they didn't have required information and should have kept investigating base broad?

What do you think of various evidence gathering , have you seen cases before where police had no camera and they take sketches of victims hands for scratch marks evidence. How can that even be used as evidence?

What do you think of loosing a gate? So was it said no credible DNA could be obtained and it was discarded. Would that not be changed into today's new DNA tech?

Lastly manipulation of witnesses and tampering with witness statements. On any investigation if that happens how do you start again with credible witnesses and evidence gathering. Have you seen the like of such before?

Thanks

I agree with you @tobefrank321 it is one of the critical pieces of hard evidence, and is still something that could be pinned to a suspect, whether one believes that it's Bailey, or someone else, it would be extremely helpful to identify the boot size, and brand etc. I personally still believe the evidence is there to do this identification based off the pictures available. They are clearly not Nike Air Max for example....

Time of death is very important though as if you can identify it really helps to eliminate candidates early on and enables the investigation to proceed much more quickly. In addition if the time of death is confirmed then it enables further scrutiny of tenuous alibis. Without weighing in on his guilt, if the time of death could be conclusively given as prior to 1.00 a.m., it would completely exclude Bailey as an example, if it could be identified as at say 3.30 a.m. it would very much put him way up the list of candidates.

FWIW, although Harbison didn't reduce the timeframe of death, I believe given that Sophie's last meal was 2-3 hours before her death, we can reasonably exclude the timeframe of around 4.30 to perhaps 8 a.m., I think it's highly unlikely that she got out of bed to eat nuts and cut up a loaf in the middle of the night (i.e. between 1.30 a.m. and 6 a.m.). The possibility can't be totally excluded, but statistically is unlikely. This timeframe however doesn't really exclude anyone that I can tell unfortunately, so is again probably moot, unless we had access to the plethora of alibis gathered to look for discrepancies.

There is a handful of other forensic evidence still available however, unless or until it has been excluded I personally think it is still extremely valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A time of death is a starting point in the investigation and can be used to check against alibis, etc. so it is quite important in any investigation.

As it stands, there is no certainty over the time of death which lends itself to many assuming it was during the night and allows the Bailey theory. Whereas a morning murder is much less likely to be linked to Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"At for the boot lace eyelets from the fire, is there any description within the exhibit list which contains anything left from the fire."

@bjsc had just told you this;

So I'm guessing it would surprise you to know that the exhibit list makes no mention of a boot mark recovered from the scene nor of a single item recovered from the fire at The Studio.

"....I do have a specific person or people in mind...."

Do you think there may have bee two people involved in the attack on Sophie?

The apparent different ages of the blood could also indicate two different stages by possibly two different individuals?

That's fair, I misinterpreted, or passed too quickly through the comment. Having said that, I would have thought there should be photos of the remnants and location of fire.

The bigger question I would have though is why are there no items from the fire in the exhibit list, in particular the boot eyelets, has anyone got a reasonable explanation for that?

"I would have thought there should be photos of the remnants and location of fire."

There are;

It was just outside the rear door of the studio.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have thought there should be photos of the remnants and location of fire.

Given the sketch (rather than photo) of the marks on Bailey's hands, it comes as no surprise that there are no photos of other items.

Thanks, I remember seeing this photo now. It is evident that they had the competence to take the photo, and given the visibility of the contents of this fire, I would say it is extremely problematic that the police did not take the contents into evidence. There are numerous remnants and unburnt materials, you probably could fill a black sack with them. The only assumption one could make is that there was nothing of evidentiary value found within, unless someone has another reason they can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even more curious is that there's retired Guards involved in the case, interviewed about the case years later, and they mention the contents of the fire trying to link it to Bailey in an incriminating way, yet they actually didn't log what they found as exhibits for evidence when they were working on the case!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The only assumption one could make is that there was nothing of evidentiary value found within, unless someone has another reason they can think of?

The fire was before the murder?

• Advertisement

Perhaps, I would still consider that under the subset of nothing of evidentiary value. Nothing to add to the case in finding justice for Sophie.

Advertisement