Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

@tobefrank321

Would love for you to follow up to the replies to your posts and defend your point of view, and not just ignore them.

It gets pretty old when there is good discussion here, someone comes in and posts opinions to the contrary as if they are gospel, then just disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭prunudo

And the same age profile who benefited greatly from soaring property prices during the 90s and will also boast about enjoying holidays abroad and the ease of moving around on their public transport systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Let's not make this into a phoney Generation War. Lots of "over 50s" will benefit directly from this while they're still working, just as lots of "young" people will.

So some naysayers are old? Well, some of the Datmouth Square mob are younger too. Age is not the determiner here, please don't try to spin it that way...

You're right, apologises. The naysayers the media roll out may be in that age group, but I shouldn't label them all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's fair however a majority of those most vocal about it in the media happen to be from that age group.

• Advertisement

It's not fair, because they aren't objecting because they're "old people". That's a line of thinking that leads to the kind of us-versus-them crap that screws us all.

The "old people" you see opposing this project are opposing it for exactly the same reasons that younger people believe too; but, being retired or semi-retired, they have more time to spend on the day in, day out work of making objections.

People who are in favour of a plan won't put so much effort into saying so: you only ever hear the ones with an axe to grind. You hear very few people of any age supporting this project with the same kind of dedication that the naysayers show, but we all know just from talking to people that the overwhelming majority of the population is in favour of it.

Ill agree to disagree so because when I see and hear in media a majority of older voices objecting and many for absolutely spurious nonsensical reasons like McDowell and McDonald then im within my right to point out that their ages link them and tbh i think much of their objections comes form the very well known entitlement of that generation. I never claimed all over 70s are like that just those that are over 70 and are objecting to it reek of age based entitlement.

Just call it what it is: entitlement.

Age has nothing to do with this. MacDonald I don't know, but McDowell was just as much an entitled p__ck thirty years ago before he was "old".

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Where was the nitpicking about the cost of motorways on boards?

In contrast, one poster constantly put up pictures of empty post-opening interchanges like it was a Good Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Paul2019

Hello, man here in his 60s, living in Dublin 4, married to another man in his early 70s. We both walk, cycle, use public transport and occasionally drive.

We have been vocally in favour of priority for public transport for decades, are in favour of modern architecture as well as conservation, are not afraid of high rise, and are not afraid of new development close to us. We are as frustrated as anyone else with the pace of progress in this city and country.

There has been an outbreak of nauseating, cliched ageism in some recent comments that would suggest that some people should revisit some of their favourite stereotypes.

Ageism is right down there with sexism, homophobia, racism and all the other ugly "isms".

Any chance you might give it a rest?

• Advertisement

Empty interchanges are a good thing, it shows they were planned for future increases in traffic. Sadly, future proofing projects is something we generally aren't very good at in this country.

Besides, if you want to take a photo of a structure, surely its better to get it when yraffic is light and less noise in the photo.

Yes, but they're not really "empty" either. Just because there's no traffic right when the photo was taken, it doesn't mean there's never any traffic.

I was a keen photographer at one point and I still take the odd picture now and then, and I reckon any decent photographer could get you pictures of even the M50 empty if you wanted them. Just after dawn on a Sunday morning in Summer you'd have a good few chances: it's only got to be free of cars inside the camera's field of view for the time it takes to take the picture. You just need to wait for that moment before clicking the shutter button. (this is true of all photography really)

But, Metrolink: the same thing applies. I guarantee that, once in service, there will be trains running completely empty between stops at certain times (7-10 pm is always very quiet) . Nobody is going to photograph these and claim ML was a waste of money because it's empty sometimes, because there'll be too much evidence of full trains in the peak travel times for a claim like that to fly...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Whenever people point to a photo of something, and say "look, it isn't being used!", I always think of the movie 28 Days Later, where a young Cillian Murphy stumbles around a deserted London. People had wondered how they'd managed to get permission to close Piccadilly Circus for the movie, but it turns out that they didn't have to, they just shot it when there was no one there. If they can find a time with Piccadilly Circus empty, then it's no surprise that they can find empty times anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plus something to keep in mind going forward, you can now use AI to remove objects from a picture. Plus there are older photography “tricks” where you take multiple pictures of the same scene and then combine them to remove what you don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

God, people love to do this with cycling infrastructure — "look! it isn't all clogged up like the roads are with cars, nobody must be using it!"

People without any ability to logically reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Metrolink Oral Hearings started back up today, with the areas up for discussion being Estuary all the way to Northwood. Notable speakers are the Veterinary Hospital at the Swords roundabout, Hugo Byrne (land owner apparently), Lidl and Sainfoin Property Company Limited (seems to be Comer group).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2024/03/11/metrolink-will-not-support-15-storey-tower-block-in-ballymun/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

We must redesign the metro to support an apartment block that lidl haven't even applied for planning permission yet

That's some absurd reasoning, sure based on that the entire network should be redesigned to accommodate 15 storey structures because someone at some point might want to build one somewhere.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Lidl had not notified TII or anyone else prior to today (11 March) and have been in discussion with Lidl about the site for years.

Something smells.

Dr Ronan Hallissey, representing TII, said this would require a redesign of the tunnel at the location, “and we don’t think that’s reasonable in the context of a proposed new development that’s just appeared for the first time today”.

TII had worked for a number of years with Lidl to establish parameters for high density development on a different part of the supermarket site Dr Hallissey said. “In fact the proposed Metrolink station design for this site has accommodated that, and has been designed to allow for two buildings adjacent to our site”.

TII very politely telling them to please f**k off. ABP will not entertain maybe's and if's as an objection, very clear that this is about trying to secure some compensation.

• Advertisement

TII also put up a doc with responses to some public figures. Nice to see them telling Colm and Michael "You're wrong, and here's why."

Sainfoin came to an agreement and now support the project.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even worse;

"Senior counsel for Lidl Eamon Galligan said the fact the proposed developed was revealed for the first time at the hearing was “of absolutely no relevance”."

i live very near the mtro line and it's going to impact my plans to build ireland's first spaceport (which i'm very glad to announce with this very post).

i shall be seeking €1bn in compensation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

John Lahart TD commented upon the lack of public consultation? Is he absolutely taking the **** piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

ABP have a new schedule for the oral hearings up, with some interesting stuff there now. Today we'll hear from Albert College resident committee, Hampstead RC, and our old friends in GADRA. The Church on Collins Avenue and Ballymun Road has two hours assigned to it. Mostly just other citizens then, but those are the ones with the most time assigned to them.

The Vet Hospital from Swords has been squeezed in to tomorrow, lumped in with Hedigans weirdly enough, taking a bit of the two hours that had been assigned to Hedigans. Must have had an issue with turning up yesterday.

Thursday was assigned solely to the OPW, but this has now been cancelled, with the OPW now having a 1 hour slot on Tuesday, 19th March. Somewhat interesting, but probably only reflects the fact that they've reached agreement on every site bar SSG. OPW was always down as TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

The previous planning app from Lidl for their Northwood site was for 4 and 5 storey buildings.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/68400

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

As if DCC are going to start granting permission for 15 story tower blocks in Ballymun of all places. Such a load of rubbish, a blatant grab for compensation that will not be entertained.

I'm impressed by TIL's response to the public representatives. I think they're doing well with their PR, hearings appear to be going well all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Isn’t that site very close to the 15 story Metro hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The breathtaking irony here is that a 15 storey residential block in Ballymun is not really viable (especially from a DCC planning perspective) if there's no Metrolink running through the area!

Advertisement