Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ederson is a header - he's a brilliant keeper, but this was the most Ederson tackle you'd ever see. He dived into a slide tackle last week and just barely touched the ball before taking the man out. He was the right side of the line by a couple of millimeters. He's nuts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Latest reports on Toney are that Arsenal arent keen anymore, Arteta doesn't like his attitude apparently. Isak would be a solid signing but near impossible to prise away from Newcastle I'd say. Similar to Watkins at Villa, both excellent strikers but a pipe dream signing either unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Osimhen would seem the obvious one for someone needing a striker to go for. Still only 25, so the ideal balance of being at his peak while still having resale value in a few years. Similar enough situation for Lautaro Martinez, though ~18 months older.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you need to try and always be right, you should know that denying a goal scoring opportunity hasnt been an instant red card for a while now, unless deemed deliberate. If a player has deemed to have made a genuine attempt at playing the ball, they may only be cautioned.

And keepers have been concerned penos and getting booked for less than what ederson did for the longest time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Villa might have to sell players this summer coming because of PSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can be sick of hearing about it (or maybe sick of seeing them do well despite it?) but it doesn't make it less true.

You've picked an odd example in Bajetic.

Alison, Salah, Jota, Matip, Konate, Sobo, Nunez, Jones.

Honestly, it's be ridiculous. Quansah and Bradley being revelations hardly changes that and, imo, it's actually been some time since we had someone from the academy break through for any sustained period of time bar Trent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Irony of it, given that man utd fans are bemoaning injuries constantly for our being utterly dreadful (6th place flatters them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its a thing I mentioned called depth. I get some people will refuse to acknowledge (for bantz purposes) that theres any difference between Amrabat and Bradley playing full back due to injuries which is in reality daft.

Uniteds crisis has led to a considerable drop off in quality with regard the replacements. Liverpools has led to zero quality reduction thanks to the strength of their academy + existing depth. Calling something that has no effect a "crisis" is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Ah here, it's obvious to anyone who's played a bit of football that Nunez made the most of that challenge in the way he fell over as it's not natural to do that. Given the standard of refereeing players have to sell fouls at time to guarantee a penalty and that's exactly what he did. Don't get me wrong it was a definite pen but it Nunez just sold it a little more by jumping up into it and going for a swan dive as he expected the contact. You see it often enough when players expect contact and fall over just as a defender pulls out of tackle.

Kane has been excellent at doing this and while a bit grey area in the rules, it gets results and that's what Nunez guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

That doesn't change the fact that image posted was not the moment of contact between Ederson and Nunez.

It was the point of contact, very visible from the camera angle following Nunez too. Even in the photo itself you can make it out and just shows that it wasn't some reckless challenge and Nunez just made the most of it by jumping into it to guarantee a foul. If such a tackle would occur on the halfway line on a 1v1 break, I guarantee the attacker would just adjust and keep running.

Why didn't United keep Reglion or that young FB they loaned out as cover? Then you'd have a FB playing FB.

There's nothing stopping ETH bringing through a young CB as cover rather than playing Shaw there for example earlier in the season.

What happens if Onana picks up an injury this weekend? You'll be playing Byandir who's had one game all season. Surely he could have been given a few more appearances earlier in the season to get a bit of familiarity with his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Contact was with the right knee first, photo is after that if you look at Ederson's right knee

There are Liverpool fans that hadn't heard of Quansah, Clark, McConnell, Danns etc in August, let alone rival supporters. There were a few on loan in League One last season, a similar standard that Rhys Williams, Ben Woodburn, Sheyji Ojo & Tyler Morton have played in recent years. Others were still playing u18s last season and this season, a couple had just moved to the u21s to try play games.

To suggest that these players were ready and able first team players for a title race from the get-go this season is laughable. And to suggest that all of them to come in playing at the same time in order to try deflect away from an actual first team injury crisis is even worse again.

I don't see Pep or Arteta playing all these academy players at the same time, consistently, in the title race. I know Man City have been selling their kids to lower league teams for big money a lot recently but they are not exactly playing them all (Lewis & Bobb have got games alright). A 13 minute cameo at the end of a 6-0 win is the only time that Arsenal have played a player under the age of 22 this season in the PL. You'll be doing well to find any youth players playing in their cup games, so Arsenal certainly are not giving them minutes.

"A 13 minute cameo at the end of a 6-0 win is the only time that Arsenal have played a player under the age of 22 this season in the PL"

That's insane, I wouldn't have thought that! Believe Liverpool have double figures for number of players under 22 with league minutes.

Viewed it a few times just to be sure but as you can see from the repeats here it does seem to be pretty much the point of contact.

Not really the point I'm making here so no need to go for the freeze frame accuracy and doesn't change the fact Nunez sold the foul (still a definite pen).

Agreed, as an Arsenal fan I applaud Liverpool's ability to make up for these injuries with unproven academy kids. Sure the team is rode their luck at times but if this were to happen at other clubs, they would struggle a lot more. Sure look at city without Rodri/KDB, they struggle hugely without them. Arsenal have had arguably their best midfielder and starting striker out for most of the season in Partey and Jesus with a fair few injuries in defence but thankfully have been able to use experienced backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In fairness, Arsenal don't have many minutes in that stat because they invested in it over the last 3 years. Saka, Saliba & Martinelli are all 22. Though I agree with what you're saying in relation to Liverpool

Party isn't Arsenals best midfielder. He can't even stay fit to actually play.

• Advertisement

My bad should have specified deep lying midfielder as when he is fit and firing on all cylinder has been a one man army enabling swift counters and freeing up the rest of attack to do their thing. As excellent as Rice has been, a fully fit Partey is more influential and would be a starter alongside him as seen at start of season when the two of them dominated without even playing together. Rice lacks the technique and ability receiving the ball and turning as well as dribbling and disguised passes like Partey but obviously excels in other areas and has been a vital player this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Partey was absolutely incredible the first half of last season when Arsenal got 50 points. Him and Rice was certainly the dream midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

There is a double jeopardy rule for last few years so he cannot be sent off whilst it is in the penalty box if the ref deems he made a genuine effort for the ball which he did.

I have played several sports and broke several bones as I still have a good few plates and screws in though for me it was painful for a long time, still is to some extent when it is cold, I cannot tell if the pain was instant or there was a delay of a 1-2 secs when those injuries occurred

He cant even stay fit to actually play

Isnt that the point of half the conversations here..... players not being fit to play?

Yeah if the dial is switched to 22-27 year old bracket, it wouldn't be a bad guess to say that Arsenal are way out in front of a lot of teams in the league, let alone the top 3.

As mentioned by @djan, Arsenal have had a few injuries to players like Timber, Jesus etc but the back ups have been expensive experienced players who can slot in like White/Gabriel/Jorginho/Havertz. They haven't been kids. Those experienced players have nearly helped Arsenal more than the injured players would have, at times, IMO, as they have the stronger heads. I think there's something in Jesus & Zinchenko that doesn't scream steadiness to me and I wouldn't trust them in the run in personally. Having 'steadier' players playing instead of them can have a more stabilizing affect on the other players and Arsenal's defensive record has improved since Zinchenko has been out and Kiwior has stepped in.

Yep you are right, the core of the squad is now in 22-26 year old bracket....... Gabriel, Kiwior, Saliba, Tomiyasu, Rice, Odegaard, Havertz, Saka, Martinelli, Vieira, ESR, Jesus

• Advertisement

As a Liverpool fan the injuries have been a positive as once Matip was ruled out for the season, then it looked like we had 3 CB in VVD, Konate who is injury prone and Gomez. I definitely thought we would have buy 1-2 CB in the summer with one being a proven CB so would cost 50m+. With Quansah being so good and consistent, then I think there may not be a need to buy anyone or someone with potential. Similar situation with Bradley.

Matip and Thiago are out of contract in June, both big earners who have not played much this season so definitely scope for improvement in the summer given the area that needed most investment being defence may not need much if any investment.

They've built the team well last couple of years (though I'm still far from convinced on Timber and said that last summer, I don't think he's of the right quality)

Feels a bit like Liverpool a couple of seasons into Klopp when he properly had a squad of his own players, at the time of losing the 2018 CL final he had Salah, Mane, Alisson, van Dijk, Fabinho, Firmino, Robertson, Matip all between 22-26 with squad players like Keita and Oxlade Chamberlain in the same range and youngsters like Trent and Gomez coming through. Only Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner and Henderson were regular first team players that were older and that's the area of the pitch you want experience anyway. It was only upwards for that group after that final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I don't know if I agree with PJ but you aren't arguing his point.

He's saying the work Liverpool have done on their academy means they have great squad depth from those players. They are able to call on them and know they are of a high quality. Which from the evidence shown has been true. There seems to be a nice little group of players coming through there.

ETH could have thrown in a young CB sure... who would you have suggested? Utd don't have the same level of quality in their youth team at the moment. If we did then it would be used as we badly need it.

Kambwala and Forson got min over the last few weeks but in truth, I wouldn't see a future at the club for either. Our 2 biggest talents are probably still a bit too young to be thrown in (Amass and Lacey).

Fernandez was let go to Benfica as ETH seems to have been under the impression that Shaw and Malacia would be fit and available from Jan/Feb. Feck knows whats happening with Malacia.

The Liverpool youth players coming in are a bit more mature. It's a complement to their youth system and the work done.

Oh I forgot about Timber :) He did look excellent against City in Community Shield but of course has to come in and prove himself.

Fully agree its a bit like that Liverpool squad 5 years ago.

Worth noting though that Liverpool's strategy has been to poach top youngsters from other academies as well as developing thier own. This didn't happen earlier in Klopp's tenure but it definitely shifted and you now have first team minutes for the likes of Bobby Clark (Newcastle academy), Trey Nyoni (Leicester City), Harvey Elliott, Fabio Carvalho (both Fulham), Calvin Ramsay (Aberdeen), Ben Doak (Celtic), Amara Nallo (West Ham - yet to play first team for Liverpool but has been on the bench), Stefan Bajčetic (Celta Vigo), Kaide Gordon (Derby County), James McConnell (Sunderland), Callum Scanlon (Birmingham)

This is worth noting because even though some of these came through the academy in the last year and look like organic products, many of these cost a significant sum for their age in transfer fee, at least 500k for each of these with some of them costing millions.

• Advertisement

Good point on the "academy" players origins. Would only consider players as being from. The academy if they've played at least 3 years in it before going first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I see Rafa Benitez sacked again..frees him up to go back to Liverpool in the summer. Lot of Liverpool fans were saying how lucky Everton were to have him and he knows the city and does good work for charity.

Apparently Malacia's surgery earlier in the season was a botch job. He was meant to return in January around the same time that Regulion was released, but he has had to go back for a 2nd surgery to re-correct the first one.

As good as Arsenal have been recently, think they have 8 wins in a row in the league, should they go draw and loss in the next 2 games their season is over on March 31st, fickle world is football though I see them beating Porto easily this evening so doubt it will happen.

No chance. He's a legend but not high on the target list right now.

He could absolutely still do a good job at a club like Everton though should they choose a change in the summer

Myself, I always have said that if a player plays for a clubs u18 team (and then u21 team) for a period of time, they can count towards their academy players. So for example I would count Ben Doak as a Liverpool academy player, but not Harvey Elliott even though both were signed at 16.

I do understand the argument of clubs moving for fees and can they really be counted, and I do somewhat agree with it, but at the same time some of those players are moving at 15 or 16 years of age. They're not exactly senior players are they? The fees are to build relationships, pay development fees and avoid tribunals. The players are playing a couple of years at u18 & u21 level and may never make the step up.

Bringing in youth players from external sources is nothing new either. It's not like Garnacho or Paul Pogba are born & bred Mancunians but they are Man Utd academy graduates. With the academy catchment area rules heavily favouring those clubs based in London, and clubs like Chelsea exploiting this by having localised pre-academies in different locations, the need to sign player at 15/16 to enter the academy then is the next best thing to bringing through direct localised talent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As an aside, Chelsea's entire strategy since Boehly took over seems to be trying to exploit loopholes in the system like you've mentioned there, the lengthy contracts for amortization of massive fees... it's not really working out for them though is it😂

I'm not criticising it, it's certainly working. I don't really think it matters too much. But I do think in terms of Liverpool it's relatively new. I know there were the likes of Raheem Sterling, Conor Masterson, Samed Yesil etc before that were brought in for substantial fees but those seemed more opportunistic than calculated at the time, the core was still to bring through the local lads as much as possible. But now it seems like a core strategy to scout the best talent from other academies and use the weight of the club to convince them to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I didn’t know about all the ‘poaching’ Liverpool have done. I thought they were extremely lucky to have such a seemingly good bunch arrive at the same time. But it’s not luck if you are hand picking players. Academies can’t turn average players into stars.

All the big 6 buy young players for their academies, I would guess the difficulty is keeping their feet on the ground at those ages from 16yrs-19yrs, very few of those big prospects make it, in one of the interviews recently from one of the Liverpool academy players, they said their phones are taken from them when they arrive until they leave & if they have a car it has to be 1.3l or less; seems a good approach to try and keep them as level headed as possible. Of course all clubs may have similar approaches, I only became aware of it via that recent interview.

• Advertisement

it's a mix. You still have Danns, Koumas, Quansah, Bradley, Chambers, Beck, Alexander-Arnold, Curtis Jones and Kelleher from the academy, that's 9 players with minutes this season who were at the club from a young age.

The 2 main differences in past couple of years has been the bolstering of this group with the 'poached' youngsters from other academies which makes the underage teams better, and the 2nd thing is closing Melwood (the first team training facility up to November 2020) and moving the first team to the academy ground at Kirkby

So for the past few seasons the first team have trained with the academy players. Apparently there's regular pick up games between them, and players with injuries are in recovery sessions together whether they are first team or academy.

This has been a huge transition and now instead of 2 completely separate environments (where there was literally an employee tasked with moving players between Kirkby and Melwood), it's now just one melting pot of players and coaches working together daily.

And as you say, it's more sophisticated now than just luck, they're clearly working hard at creating an elite academy and not relying on just a lucky few talents coming out. This is also the strategy with keepers where they talk about a 'goalkeeper centre of excellence' which is why Taffarel the ex-Brazil goalkeeper was brought in even though there's already a first team goalkeeper coach. It seems a lot more grown up and professional now than 15/20 years ago and it's not by accident or luck, they seem to know what they're doing.

The end result is that the kids this season look much more well adjusted to the first team than the crop when Klopp came in that played first team (Teixeira, Woodburn, Ibe, Sinclair, Ojo etc etc)

Look Rafa was great for Liverpool but they're battling up around the top of the table now and going deep in cups so unfortunately Rafa doesn't appear to be able to manage that anymore. He's perfectly fine for a club like Everton though.

Edit: I see someone else had the exact same thought before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Exactly maybe I misspoke or something but it was most definitely a compliment.

Like thinking back to when they had to play Rhys Williams a few years ago. That was an injury crisis and he definitely was a raw weak link that was immediately targeted by opposition. Thats generally how kids go.

But the last year or two they have been spitting out ready to go first team players that simply aren't the typical raw youngster making basic errors from that obvious lack of experience. Bajcetic, Quansah and Bradley all stepped in and never looked out of place (ie. like Williams had).

I credited the academy but turns out its also that combined with an agressive youth recruitment policy (thanks @8-10 ) but its working an absolute treat now. It gives Liverpool an amazing depth that no other team has. Thats why Klopp can turn to and play so many of those kids, they are already ready to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bradley and Quansah are fantastic players particularly, and fully ready for regular first team action - though I wouldn't minimize the impact of the spate of injury's either. The drop in individual quality from the likes of Jota, Mo, Nunez down to Koumas, Danns, and Gordon is still monumental, as is the drop from Mac Allister, Endo, Szoboslai to McConnell, Clarke and Nyoni. There are some great prospects there, but relying on those sorts of lads too much definitely isn't sustainable.

The big benefit has just been how well drilled they are in the basics of the position - anyone who comes in knows the basics of their role, which makes life easier for the remaining senior lads as they can at least still play the plan rather than having to adapt too much to cover for lads getting out of position. So while you still definitely lose out on the levels of individual talent lost to injury, the impact is mitigated a bit by maintaining the basic framework.

That thing of having one way of playing, right across the whole club, is huge - that's what makes it work, rather than the kids necessarily all being prodigies or something. I would bet there are academy kids at other clubs who are better individually, but when they come into their own first teams they don't have that element of knowing exactly what cog they are in the machine, and so don't fit in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Didn’t even know who Rafa was managing, had to check. Te team that sa lied him have had 8 managers since 2018. Tough board to please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The academy and first team train at the same complex now, it's definitely eased the path and transition into a first team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

None of these Liverpool teenage prodigies have played more league minutes than Willy Kambwala this season and are being treated as if they're being relied on in any meaningful way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think the only one calling them prodigies seems to be you.

Alot of those youngsters have already proven to be reliable when called upon, hence why they are being mentioned. Not often that so many basically make their debuts and get a few appearances around the same time, not just league games.

No idea who Kambwala is, don't think I've seen or heard of him - no matter how many minutes he has, more than Bradley apparently - mustn't have had the same effect.

The only new face I can think of at United is Mainoo - who has done well.

I had to Google who that is and who he plays for and minutes. Looks like he's got 107 in PL and 122 in all competitions

Luke Chambers, James McConnell, Bobby Clark and Ben Doak are the Liverpool teenagers with more minutes than that

• Advertisement

I think Liam is trying to catch you in a gotcha moment. He said "league" and "teenage". Lots of the Liverpool young lads who've played in the league are 20 and the younger guys have played in the cups and EL.

I could be wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement