Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess no-one really has a handle on the how quickly a return should happen/how quickly a product is consumed.

Like my instincts (based on almost no evidence) would be that a single purchase of a 500ml bottle of Coke Zero should be consumed quickly, but a 2L bottle of Coke Zero may take longer. A slab (either beer or soft-drink) may be something that people store for a few weeks before using, so the 18 or 24 cans in this may skew the return figure downwards.

And we don't really know yet what peoples plans are re the point at which they'll return. Like will they wait until they have 10 items (or 20, 50 or 100 items) before returning?

So I think there is going to be a 'lag' for a few months before we get reliable figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is still alot of products not in scope in circulation. If they are only collecting 5m containers a week by June it would be a failure but its still only 6 weeks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

There is old stock still being sold without the logo. We're in the changeover phase, all cans/bottles will have the R logo on them from 1st June.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You're supposed to stop them to robbing you by withdrawing your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My return experiences, attempted twice, of bringing bags of 20+ cans (all of which had deposits paid, albeit some had no logo, and were purchased after 1st feb) showed over 75% being rejected for invalid barcode.

Therefore, my cans will continue to go in the green bin and I've switched to buying glass bottles for beer and 5Ls (instead of 2Ls) of water. Glass bottles that go in the black bin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Jesus , modern life is **** enough , let people have things that make them feel slightly better, even if yes its slightly unhealthy .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I assume you've checked the barcode checker on the re-turn website.

If so then yeah what's happening to you is completely wrong... Contact re-turn by email with the details of the work canteen and they should put a stop to it. Get your work colleagues to do similarly to speed it up

They probably won't take them if the re-turn logo isn't on the product

If the canteen is charging you a deposit on non returnable items they are robbing you not Re-turn.

Just stop buying them and as Red suggested lodge a complaint.

If you read this thread you will see I have been very vocal in my opposition to this scheme. How the hell am I blaming you??

Your canteen as well as making a profit already are now adding 15 cent to your purchase just because they can. Remove their new found profit and the profit they were making on your orange by bringing your own. That was my suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

I checked this last week, there are some not in scope, but I would not say a lot. Here is my post. 78% of 174 items I checked had deposit payable. I checked a leading supermarket, where most people will do their shopping, so I believe it is a good measure.

If you have any data to show that in scope items sold with deposit is lower than 78% I would love to see it, albeit I am not sure anything is published.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

I wonder how much money has been lifted out of the publics pocket at this early stage on being charged deposits that cannot be gotten back.

Their teething issues should not be costing us money. Absolute scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Just think if even 1% or even 0.5% of supposedly of 5 million cans/bottles purchased daily are not returned for credit! Am to pissed of at this joke of a scheme to do the maths.

Re-turn will hide behind the lag, thats for sure, but that road will also run out soon.

My thoughts are that 200m in-scope items have sold since Feb 1. 5m, we know from re-turn, have been returned.

• Absolutely, a large portion of the 200m items were old stock
    • - albeit the ratio of these is probably less than 20% and falling - just 4 more days until wholesalers / producers can sell out of scope to retail.
    • Certainly, some are currently sitting in bags or bins at home, until the next shop run when they can be RVM'ed.
    • Yes, some are sitting in fridges and presses not yet consumed.
    • BUT some have been put in green bins / waste bins just as they always have been

I personally think the majority of the 195m items unaccounted were put in green bins / waste bins as before. Remember, to succeed, Re-turn needs to wholly replace kerbside recycling, there is no other way to get to their raison d'etre - 90% target.

I suggest the early signs is that people are not doing what we expected them to do. If people were compliant, I think we would be seeing maybe 25% return ratio - certainly not 7.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Don't worry lads, I'm sure any money not returned will be given to climate change organisations. After all, that's what this is all about, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Your company only has an exemption from taking back the empties, like a small shop that doesn't have the room for a RVM. They don't have an exemption from charging the deposit, like pubs and restaurants do. They will still have to pay the deposit back to Re-turn (unless they are charging for non-returnable cans and bottles, which is wrong).

My work canteen is the same, where we're supposed to bring the empties home/to an RVM to get our deposit back. I haven't bought any yet though.

Assume 20c an item (between 15c and 25c).

4m items in scope sold per day (charged 20c), curently 300k a day are returned.

So thats 4m x 20c IN and 300k x 20c OUT, or 3.7m items a day at 20c kept. €740k per day at current March 2024 run rates.

Obviously, the situation is fluid - the number of items on which deposits are paid will keep going up (towards 5m by June 1), and the ratio will also keep going up you would imagine. But certainly it looks like Re-turn will be cash rich at the end of the transition period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I haven't used this yet. But upon purchasing groceries in Dunnes yesterday, the lady on the checkout pointed out to me that my 1ltr fresh oj bottle was returnable. It never occurred to me tbh as I didn't notice the R sign and it turns out I have one already sitting in the fridge at home that has it too.

The label is unnoticeable. Why is it not holographic or at least instantly recognisable? A black little R under the barcode is all it is.. And I doubt many labels will last in and out of the fridge for long. The label on the current bottle is wrinkled, damp and I'd say will be torn by the time it's empty. Surely the plastic should be embossed rather than depending on a label?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

BUT BUT BUT they are Not For Profit!!!!!!!!!!!

They are legally not for profit, correct. This does not meant they are a charity, or that they are 'Not for benefit'. Any additional cash they have has to be dealt with by adjusting their future income. They can do this by a number of means (examples, not exhaustive):

• raising their spend (on say marketing)
    • raising the retailer levy of 2.2c
    • lowering the producer fee
    • lowering the deposit
    • selling the recyled material at a lower cost

Unlikely the shopper will benefit, it must be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

Hieroglyphic labels and embossed plastic, for goodness sake! We want our hand held over everything.

You've been on this thread so you knew about this scheme before yesterday but you didn't realise the drinks container you were buying might have a deposit on it? The logo is there, all you have to do is look at the label. They lady serving pointed it out to you but still isn't enough, you want hieroglyphic labels or embossed plastic. But when the cost of the new labels or the cost of changing bottle manufacturing so they're embossed just for the Irish market is passed on to the consumer and added to the sneaky price hikes that are already being added you'd be first to complain, because some people just have to complain about silly stuff.

Ireland has a history of not for profit organisations that are swimming in cash. Onsite gyms and daily yoga sessions. A small salary for the CEO who also gets benefits one could easily live on. Car allowance, expense account.

You seem to be missing the point.

If the canteen as you said is charging you a deposit on a non refundable item they are wrong and you should take it up with them.

Also you have the option of lodging a complaint with Re-turn.

In the meantime you shouldn't buy any more juice from the canteen.

That's good consumer advice not gaslighting as you earlier accused me of doing to you.

Calm down and take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Can we get re-turn to fund public drinking fountains and bottle fillers in all towns and villages if they are cashing so much money in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement