Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the disc/callipers split in Irish Racing.

• 11-03-2024 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Looking at pictures earlier from Newbridge racing seemed a fairly even split between disc brake bikes and callipers. But wondering if that is the case.

would it be 50/50 or what have the racers here noticed. Also how is it safely wise with the stopping power of both mixed in a group.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In my experience it's starting to get close to 50:50 now, depending on the race. Certainly going to make wheel changes a bit more complicated but that's likely to be mainly stage races.

Differences in stopping power? Haven't noticed any issues. It's not like we're using the brakes much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Not much difference until it rains and then its pot luck who's around you and how fast they/you can stop!! Ive been on rim until this year and i didnt feel comfortable stopping in really wet condition. Ive had a few experiences of narrowly missing crashing as i squeahed up should to shoulder to guys who were both disc either side who could break a lot sooner, i still dont like a bunch but at least Ill feel a little better this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a few lads yesterday overshooting on rim brakes in desperate conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I have rim breaks on my winter bike and disc on my racing bike. Subjectively I didn’t feel too much difference going from rim to disc but when I went back to rim……

no comparison the stopping power of disc is far superior particularly in the wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I’m used to using bother with road and mtb but wondered was it leading to many probs in groups alright.

I used to do mechanic on the ras for years. I’d dread it now with all the changes of spec in the bike industry. Seems like in an effort to be more efficient it’s less practical for the amateur riders who don’t have spare wheels etc.

suppose the main thing I was wondering was how common calliper breaks were in racing now because based on those pics in newbridge there seems to be plenty about still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From a racing perspective, I don't really want lads slamming on the brakes, even in a crash. This goes for rim or dsc. If you are close enough to the crash that you'd have to slam on to have a hope of stopping, you are close enough that you'd probably be better off just keep goign and hope for the best. The same for Crit circuits like Mondallo or Corkagh. Riders hitting brakes going into corners like they are in rush hour traffic. These are courses where brake usage should be minimal to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im only referring to braking when there is already a crash! Takes a lot longer on rims in the wet to come to a stop.

In most cases are only useful if you are far enough behind, if you are right behind, in my opinion, probably better off going straight through. Had a guy crash in front of me in Corkagh, pulling the brakes would have caused me and others to crash. I just went off road and came back in. Same in Mondello, if you can get through without stopping, you are 100% off better off. Easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Seem to remember Sagan pulling a few quality saves out of the bag in various races back in his heyday...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

did neutral service at a stage race last year. about a 50/50 split in the car in terms of rim/disc spares from the riders. thankfully nearly all disc road bikes are 12mm thru axles, but the issue would have been the 140 vs 160 rotor option. we might have only had 1 rear wheel with a 140 rotor. so I think its probably in the riders interest to all run 160 front and rear to minimise the risk of being stranded without a wheel with 140 rotor. And I think the vast majority of bikes would just run 160s all round. oh, and thru axles can vary between 5 and 6mm removal - so had to have both those at hand to get the axle out.

we had to be on the ball in terms of eyeballing the bike as we pulled up, to ensure as quick a change as possible. I usually look for the rim brake caliper first, then is it a front or a rear. think we coped well enough, but definitely required a lot of concentration to get things done efficiently.

would definitely suggest the race organisers reach out to the teams and riders ahead of time and advise a bit more rotor standardisation and maybe even a thru axle standard too, for quick removal.

the other issue was 12 vs 11 speed. but I think it'll get you going no matter what wheel you put in. I recall getting a 9 speed wheel from neutral myself in a race, and my 11 speed setup not liking that too much, but got home ok I suppose.

a couple of riders refused neutral, and decided to wait for their own team car. which is fair enough I suppose. a bit risky if the race is split up though, and your team car is with a different group.

personally, I'm still running rim brakes on all my race bikes. don't feel the urge to get new bike just yet, and happy enough with braking performance, as well as the lack of squealing 🤔

I'd always take whoever pulled up first, having had a team car pass by me waving in a stage race. Thankfully a club from across the pond pulled up and sorted me out with a tube and after a few minutes of assistance. I punctured again and thankfully some parents of a junior gave me a wheel to get home. Met them at the finish line to hand the wheel back. Never wait for the team car, if they aren't right behind you, they never thought you would stay out there or you are already out the back.

Advertisement