Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jesuisjuste

This sketch for sure is much more incriminating than the other sketch I had seen which was comically bad. I haven't actually seen this, is it from the same individual, how long after the first sketch was this taken, and was it after other suspects had been excluded or before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Why was the fire lit soooooo close to the house. And is that the way Ian Bailey got rid of any rubbish whenever he had stuff to get rid of. And if so was that the location he used?

I asked earlier, but was on a bit of a long thread so you may have missed it, but I would be interested in whether you would agree that there was a period of time in the immediate hours, and probably days, weeks even when there were a significant number of more viable candidates than Bailey?

I mean this from the perspective of the investigating Gardai contemporaneously, rather than looking back from the present day.

Having a fire in a rural area in the garden was very common at that time in Ireland. I even remember it happening in housing estates in more urban areas around my neck of the woods tbh, burning old furniture, clothes etc. instead taking the effort of going to the dump, and paying to dump it. They have really cracked down on that stuff in recent years. I'm not sure what difference it makes being closer to the house, what are your thoughts on that? Other than further evidence of Bailey's buffoonery of course. Since there is no contemporaneous evidence stemming from the fire that I can see, and the Gardai seem to have dismissed collecting evidence personally I would probably rule it out as being important in building a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The fire was before the murder?

Only according to Bailey and Thomas.

They claimed the fire was no later than early December.

But neighbour Delia Jackson said she was home from London at Christmas time and saw the fire then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Yes there was certainly suspects. In terms of viable, there's a complete lack of hard evidence in this case, or rather surviving hard evidence. There's certainly some mysteries about the case that should have been cleared up. The picture of the boot print is one for example. If there is a picture of it, but its not one of the exhibits, then what happened? Was the exhibit mislaid deliberately or accidently or simply never entered? It seemed to tie in with a similar mark across her neck area. So potentially it was a crucial clue, one of the few imo.

After that you are looking at motives. Is there any evidence of her falling out with someone or being in dispute with them. Was someone angry with her, without her even knowing it (and therefore not recording it somewhere).

If it was a morning murder, did she come across a local and argue with them? Without naming names, was there a local who passed that way every morning, used to doing something or other, and didn't take kindly to being told they were maybe trespassing or the gate should remain closed, something along those lines.

But without hard evidence, its difficult. And you are largely dealing with circumstantial evidence. If it was a local, maybe ranks were closed around them, and nobody was willing to talk. This was common in certain parts of Ireland up until quite recently, with a negative view of informers.

As for Bailey, he did himself no favours, but more so in the long run. He probably stumbled into prime suspect territory, simply with his early actions and big mouth. But in the long term, he also did himself no favours either, with regards conflicting alibis, telling a court he had a feeling the night before. Also his daft theories about who might be responsible just made him look a bit desperate.

I may be mistaken, but I believe she didn't say she saw the fire, just that she heard/smelled the fire, is that correct? I'm not trying to be disagreeable, I just want to make sure we are not providing misinformation.

This distinctions are not important when us armchair investigators are coming to our own conclusions/opinions, but are absolutely critical when building a case to bring before a DPP and jury. Since the thread is about a cold case review, we should try to be thorough, and not add to the confusion.

If I am mistaken here though I apologise up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't know, only going on what I recall hearing on the West Cork podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

There's no need to be looking for further clarification

She went as far as confirming she has a specific suspect/s

She made clear her wish not to identify

An explanation was given previously as to why they had no photos of the cuts . It seemed plausible at the time

If I recall it was that they didn't have cameras routinely?

Makes no sense they have photos of a fire but only sketches of the scrathces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm old enough to remember when this case was featured on Crimeline.

And if I remember correctly they did show a photograph of the alleged "boot print" and it was almost invisible; a shoe-shaped impression on a tangle of long blackberry stems and trampled grass. Extremely difficult to take a plaster cast of (in the classical Sherlock Holmes manner, lol) and they also mentioned that other people had walked around the area before it was segregated as a crime scene - I'm guessing Ms Foster and the first Garda to arrive, at least.

If my recall is right (and I'm sure there will be no delay in correcting me me if it's not) this "impression" was so vague that it would be extremely difficult to estimate the shoe size and almost impossible to determine the brand. Bigger than a woman's, and boot-ish was about the most that I could see.

It does seem clear that the opportunity was lost to narrow down the time of death very early on

Doesn't look invisible to me, there is a definite imprint of a thread, there are companies out there who do investigate prints based off photographic evidence, I would be interested in what they come up with, but the print above would definitely rule out a load of candidates imo. In addition there is size evidence. It is not near as good as a plaster cast, but a cast is just a 3D print of the imprint, a photo is 2D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You're right - no brambles, trampled grass: and about half of a boot print.

This photo looks better than my fuzzy recall; the tread pattern is clear enough to easily check against "real boots" - no wonder the Guards were interested in the eyelets in the bonfire!

On the other hand, it seems that this angle of inquiry went no further. I wonder why? Was every boot on the peninsula examined and accounted for? I doubt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Read the post,

I asked if two people may have been involved, nothing about identity. But thanks for butting in there.

Be simpler if they had the DNA and compared it to everyone local as has been done

Checking everybody's boots is tricky sure they wouldn't provide the boots used at scene

Just to clarify I think people are getting hung up on the semantics around the term viable. In the process of a cold-case, there is a revisiting of the evidence, sequence of events etc. that is carried out to re-build up the case, and see if it comes to the same conclusion. By conclusion I don't mean necessarily a different suspect, it could be the same suspect, but the events happened in a different way than is currently thought.

In the above you are taking the term "viable", and trying to associate it with "provable", I would take it more to mean "feasible" and extend that contemporaneously to the individuals who are investigating the case. Within the minutes and hours after many murders (including this one), there is usual minimal obviously provable evidence available (things like DNA have to be tested, weapons need to be identified etc.), however there is usually a pretty big list of viable suspects. As time moves forward the list of suspects will wax and wane a little, before reducing down to a select few, or one prime suspect. On the flip side, the list of evidence will be gathered and grow.

In this case I believe that contemporaneously, to the people doing the investigating, if they were following a standard protocol, Bailey would have been way down the list of viable suspects at the time. He would have been less of a suspect than the immediate family, than previous partners, after the people who were in the immediate vicinity at the time, after the people who were well acquainted with Sophie, after the people who lived closer than 4 km to the site, after people who had any form of relationship with her at all, all the way down to people who had no known relationship, or possibly would have met her once or twice. There was probably somewhere between 50-100 more viable candidates on that list, at that time. This was whittled down very quickly within hours they were probably able to eliminate half the people, and over the next few days plenty more. Bailey shot up the list over the coming days and weeks. Anything that comes later on (beyond perhaps the firs 8 days or so), is essentially meaningless when it comes to the justification of the Gardai to make him essentially the only suspect, how did they eliminate other suspects. What was the reasoning for these decisions? It was in the missing jobs book, the pages may have removed, but the information was not eliminated from the various Garda's minds. Many of those gardai are still around today, and it appears that there is no one willing to talk about it. This withholding of information is preventing justice for Sophie.

FWIW I can think of a couple of possibilities for why this is the case, one of which would explain even more why they focused on Bailey.

It should be noted, it wasn't the investigators findings of the evidence that moved Bailey up the list in those early days, it was mainly his actions and odd behaviours. If he had called in sick and said he was out of the journalism game when contacted, it probably would have been days before they got around to looking in to him. Then they probably would have called to the house, and Jules would have said they were both in bed all night, and there would have been no one else in the premises to dispute this, and they would have likely moved on further down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

I have thought about that too. The boot mark made me think that but it’s much harder for two people to keep a secret for so long.

To be clear then, for transparency, from the West Cork podcast archive (https://www.westcorkpodcast.com/relatedmaterial) it says she didn't see it:

Delia Van Hemmen, nee Jackson

Worked with Bailey at the Schull fish factory during his first winter in West Cork, rebuffed his romantic advances. They became neighbours in Lissacaha when Bailey moved into Jules Thomas’s studio house. Says she smelled a bonfire burning on Bailey’s property around Christmas, 1996.

• Advertisement

Kerry Baby John’s parents kept their secret for near 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

Yes that’s true.

The particularly viscous nature of the attack on her face - a jealous woman?

"it says she didn't see it:

Says she smelled a bonfire burning on Bailey’s property around Christmas, 1996."

Bit hard to miss it;

Posted above, but on the morning of the murder I would put the viable (i.e. feasible; not provable) candidates as such: To the people doing the investigating, if they were following a standard protocol, Bailey would have been way down the list of viable suspects at the time. He would have been less of a suspect than the immediate family, than previous partners, after the people who were in the immediate vicinity at the time, after the people who were well acquainted with Sophie, after the people who lived closer than 4 km to the site, after people who had any form of relationship with her at all, all the way down to people who had no known relationship, or possibly would have met her once or twice. There was probably somewhere between 50-100 more viable candidates on that list, at that time.

I get that you disagree, that's ok with me.

Indeed, whether what she says is true or she is mistaken, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold up in court.

In any case given the Gardai decided not to take any evidence from the fire I think it is pretty much inconsequential as I mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes the number of 50+ is alluded to here, but without the log that should be there of how the suspects were processed \ arrived at Bailey it is hard to know how properly the 50+ were investigated.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-probing-sophie-murder-once-31977979

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm not disagreeing with all that it's too much to get around

On the 50-100 anyway

Persons connected to sophie would be "potential" suspects i would say.

I wouldnt use the word suspects in relation 50-100 persons

Bailey became a person of interest and there bits of evidence pointing to him. The value of which is disputed .

It is pretty much impossible for us here to know, however there are people still out there who do know in the vast majority of individual suspects. First port of call is the Gardai doing the investigations. This means the collective group of people. Those jobs books would have been looked over and added to numerous times by many people as the case is being built. Did they have an incident room, many discussions would have occurred over the following days and weeks about the candidates and rounding on Bailey. There is no doubt that many of the Gardai believed imo that Bailey did it but what brought them to that conclusion, it would be good for them to release that information? This information should all be available from the memories and minds of these Gardai. That is what the cold-case review should be looking at imo. Perhaps they correctly identified Bailey, but through illegitimate methods, or alternatively maybe they excluded someone else for the wrong reason, we just don't know, but they do.

The other resource is the people who were investigated themselves, Leo Bolger comes to mind, he and his wife talk about how he was investigated and excluded. I'm not sure who else, if anyone talked about that publicly, but almost certainly did privately with others.

• Advertisement

Apologies you didn't use the word suspect in relation to 50-100

Persons connected are viable candidates i suppose

Bailey came into focus and the bits of evidence pointed to him

Advertisement