Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

Great news indeed.

I listened to the debate most of it yesterday and was genuinely impressed by the quality of the executive and equally stunned by the mad, bad and demented performance of some of the Councillors. It certainly has coloured my voting intentions for the upcoming local elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live in North Strand, Larbre ensured all of us that the people and local politicians wouldn't stand for it and the traffic plan would he reversed. Surely he's not wrong about Dun Laoghaire too? But he speaks with such confidence??? What gives??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The modal filter for Tivoli road, is that going to be the entire length? Just wondering about access to parking in the IMC Cinema car park which I use quite often, I suppose we go via York Road now instead? (coming from Loughlinstown direction).

Also a pensioner on Mulgrave St is a family friend and I occasionally bring her firewood as she cannot get it delivered there. The traffic is all one way along that road so usually I'd go down via Tivoli Road, Cross avenue seems to be one way too, so how will people get to Mulgrave Street once Tivoli is off limit to cars? Unless walking/Cycling?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What are the changes to the plan at Clarinda Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I suppose politicians need to have a way of linking an online account to the human. I'd say that was well played by your contacts alright.

"Motions to remove the filter from the scheme were defeated by 24 votes to 14."

• Advertisement

So are Larbre's high up politician buddies all lying to him or what? I'm so confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

Have there been any maps published of the changes to come? None of the news articles covering it seem to have bothered to include one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Came across this, although it seems Mary Hanafin is listed in error - She did not vote to remove the modal filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

As a matter of interest which councillors put on s mad bad demented performance.

No matter which side of the debate you were on you have to admit those councillors put in a very long night and they were respectful of others opinions.

I watched it too, not all of it but one thing that struck was the very low level of engagement in the face to face consultations in the libraries etc, think about four hundred in total actually sought information from officials present, this indicates there are many residents are totally unaware of what these changes actually mean.

The low level of engagement in the Sallynoggin area was telling too,the Monkstown Farm area is going to take hundreds upon hundreds of cars daily, suspect many of the locals havent grasped this but i suppose if you dont engage and dont object then the Tivoli road residents will fill the space with noise and get what they want.

This is what this is, a nimby gentrification of one area, go on and on about the safety of Tivoli Road children going to school and pretend there arent Monkstown farm children going to school at all. The Monkstown Farm roads are very narrow, very narrow footpaths too, no cycle lanes, very short front gardens, the roads will simply collapse.

I cant see Monkstown Farm people accepting this destruction of their environment, condensing so much traffic into these narrow roads,this is not going to end well.

I also heard the reference to how successful low traffic neighbourhoods in London are, was surprised this was let go without challenge, Lambeth council has suspended an LTN after a bus took more than two hours to travel less than three miles!!!!!

A recent UK Government commissioned report into the ambulance service has advised also that lives are a risk due to delays caused by ambulance crews having to negotiate past bollards, I most certainly would not be buying a house in Dalkey now, imagine being rushed in an ambulance from there to Vincents,trying to get through all that congested traffic, every minute counts, think i would make sure my affairs are in order.

• Advertisement

You will be going round in circles and coming back to meet yourself.😀😀😀😀

Much handier to go to the cinema in Stillorgan or UCD, free surface parking in both, half price tickets every wed in Odeon stillorgan and UCD is about six euros all fay.

DL is going to be just like Blackrock, nothing but coffee shops and obstruction, eg planters and benches, sodding wet everywhere.

Hopefully there are events planned for these empty spaces at night otherwise a drinking drug taking anti social element will take over.

I have never in all my years walking around DL have never seen many Gardai, a big effective presence will be required once Georges St is pedestrianised.

I certainly wouldnt fancy living anywhere near it.

No I don't believe that Mary Hanafin is listed in error. I listened to her speak on this and she talked about being conflicted, wondered if it was in the greater good and then voted to remove the modal filter.

As far as I can recall, it was the only time that she voted against the initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Please stop propagating myths Maisie.

From

"The DfT report, which covers only schemes installed from 2020 onwards, noted that where there had been problems, for example with emergency services, this tended to be when schemes had been rushed through or were new, and the issues tended to ease over time.

While the Met police and one ambulance service reported initial problems, overall “LTNs do not adversely affect response times for emergency vehicles”, the report said."

Here's what ACTUALLY delays emergency vehicles - private cars.

And here's what reduces the needs for ambulance calls - having people who exercise regularly, especially through walking or cycling - less heart attacks, less cancers, less strokes.

They were all respectful of each others opinions which, was nice to see. Management, of whom I'm always a critic were very professional and on the ball which was also nice to witness.

I think, that they were there until 2am was due in part to a lot of grandstanding and individual councillors bringing up pet topics which had nothing to do with the issue or added any value to the debate. They could have been out by 10 without the waffle. But I suppose that's local politics.

You can see it all on the website

https://dlrcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

Mary Hanafin voted against the proposals to remove the modal filter. The missing 14th person who voted to remove the modal filter was Jim O'Leary (FG)

Looking a the pdf on https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/living-streets-dun-laoghaire/supporting_documents/Part%208%20Planning%20Report%20Dun%20Laoghaire.pdf its quite sensible, just the through traffic on Tivoli is blocked off or modaled off! For people actually going into the town its not too restrictive.

That said the "Road Safety Improvements" at the junction between Glenageary Road Lower and Corrig road have the potential to cause traffic jams depending on how that's implemented I suppose:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I listened to a lot of it as well. What surprised me a bit was the lack of basic knowledge of the scheme amongst some councillors. For example there was a suggested amendment to ban escooters and ebikes from the pedestrian area. This was debated until someone pointed out that as it is pedestrianised and not shared space then this was irrelevant. But it took up some time and went off on tangents about wattage of ebikes ect.

I thought for a while that the amendment to increase parking by 10 spaces in Clarinda Park and do away with some of the public realm might succeed. It was a very tight vote. 20 to 18 I think and one councillor changed her mind to vote against the amendment at the last minute so very close to the Clarinda Park proposals not getting passed at all..

Looking forward to seeing how it all finishes up but I think it is a good plan and like some of the other posters I will be reconsidering who I vote for...

Maybe I'm wrong but she voted for the motion which as post #4164 above, called for a removal of the modal filter. I heard it and was surprised!!

The Irish Times is correct.

Yes apparently it was an individual (disgruntled?) HSE employee, with no authority to speak on behalf of the HSE.

• Advertisement

What surprised me a bit was the lack of basic knowledge of the scheme amongst some councillors

To my mind, that's where a lot of the time was wasted, with the confusion caused.

How come the Irish Times reported this as the HSE position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lazy journalism, the HSE has. Press office to issue statement. Journalists should know this

Thats why I was surprised when you called them demented.

The ones who opposed it believed its a bad plan, I do too as there is simply no where for the Tivoli Road traffic to go and we are going to be back here looking to close through roads through Monkstown Farm.

The same officials assured us closing Seapoint to cars Southbound wouldnt cause issues but its the traffic diverted from here thats now clogging Tivoli Road. The officials will move onto better things and DL residents and visitors will have to live with the consequences of these plans.

I mean could we not have closed Tivoli Road and Georges St Lower to trial it, why waste two million euros, its going to have to be reversed, its simply not going to be possible to divert that volume of displaced traffic anywhere.

Prettying Georges St up is like making s purse out of a sows ear,its used as a means of getting to Tesco and no amount of planters or big bird yellow frames is going to change that.

And does anyone believe ebikes and scooters are going to make their way down to the seafront to go northwards,they are going to fly down pedestrianised Georges St, who is going to be there to stop them.

Maybe address the Query to the Irish Times, surely they checked the facts.

What about people going to Dalkey.

I used to access Dalkey via the coastal road.

Google maps is now directing me through Monkstown Farm, traffic was so bad there on Friday and thats with Tivoli Road open.

I have pals living in Dalkey and they are furious.

There should be a firm committment given now that if DL town deteriorates further and if traffic becomes unmanageable then decisions will be taken to reverse this plan.

or people could drive places less and avoid all the traffic, it's easy if you try

I can see both sides of this, good for the locals I suppose, but not so great for the rest of us. Sallynoggin roundabout is pretty much at peak capacity as it is, can only imagine this is going to push more cars coming and going to/from Dalkey and parts of Killiney through it so thats going to be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

All these plans are lovely and i hope it works out for everyone in DL. But the biggest problem is the poor Public Transport we have in this city. I work in DL and i commute from the City Centre. I had to come into the office one Sunday to do something. I went to Connolly at 7.30am not thinking and to my astonsishment it was closed and the first dart south on a Sunday was 8.47am. So i walked over to O Connell street and got the 7 bus at 8am. So IMO putting a modular block on Tivoli road is only going to inconvience motorists and cause congestion to other areas nearby. The biggest problem i see in DL is that it cant attract big name retailers. There is so much potential but for one reason or another it seems to be only low cost retailers with horrid signage. As another poster said it will be full of coffee shops. I count 20 within 5 mins walk of my work place.

Advertisement