Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭jamesd

Whats the expected team for Thursday night since we are well up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

Great news about Edwards. It’s no secret that Klopps influence and authority over transfers has grown since he’s been here and certainly since Edwards and Ward left, so nice to see the club restore take that responsibility back ahead of getting a new manager in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

They are going after Richard Hughes from Bournemouth too.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kelleher

Bradley - Gomez - Quansah - Robertson (C)

Szobozlai - McConnell - Clark

Salah - Gakpo - Koumas

is what I'd go for. Hopefully Jayden Danns is back fit and bench of Adrian, Virgil, Tsimikas, Endo, Elliott, Mrozek, Gordon, Danns, Musialowski, Diaz, Nunez, Mac Allister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

45 mins for Salah definitely anyway

• Advertisement

I see a big summer of change, not just the manager obviously. Long term decisions to be made on Salah and Van Dijk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I think Salah will play 45 mins of this anyways. Maybe 60 but 45 is more likely. Szobozlai will get a chunk too and maybe this is the first 45 in order to babysit the 2 lads. Both need minutes to shake off the rustiness, Salah especially.

Robbo could play 45 but that is putting a bit of a bit too much emphasis on the 45 min job share half time subs. At least Tsimikas is there, but we want Robbo getting back up to speed again for the run in.

The only real worry is at CB again. We want to rest VVD but I'd like to give Bradley at bit of a break too. That would mean that Gomez has to go RB and the CBs aren't really there. Konate is meant to be back for the cup game but I wouldn't like to rush him. Nallo has been on the bench a couple times but at 17 probably isn't ready yet.

Nallo isn't in the Europa squad so can't play, he's not eligible for List B and there's no space on List A for him (it's already been completed for this season anyway after Matip was removed for Adrián)

There's no young CB options eligible for list B that have been anywhere near the first team yet

Scanlon played in one of the group games at LB so could be in the squad but he stunk out the place that night and hasn't been seen since.

Williams, Phillips, van den Berg, Beck, Chambers, Ramsay all on loan.

Defensive players has to be the priority in the summer. CB and LB.

Out of contract this summer:

• Adrián
    • Thiago
    • Joël Matip

12 months remaining on contract when new manager comes in:

• Mohamed Salah
    • Virgil van Dijk
    • Trent Alexander-Arnold
    • Kostas Tsimikas
    • Tyler Morton
    • Nat Phillips
    • Marcelo Pitaluga
    • Vitezslav Jaros

24 months remaining on contract when new manager comes in:

• Andy Robertson
    • Ibrahima Konaté
    • Caoimhín Kelleher
    • Ben Doak
    • Rhys Williams
    • Sepp van den Berg

Lots of big decisions in that first full year, some of these expiries will actually help the new manager make some decisions but others will be quite the headache

I think Scanlon was seen in crutches at the end of the Man City game so that would suggest to me that's out for a while.

LB has to be looked at alright. it's an uncomfortable conversation to have as Robbo has been a great player for the club. But he has put in the hard miles, and he is a player that relied on physical attributes moreso than technical attributes. Similar to Hendo in a way. At 30, how many more big seasons can he give the club? He's starting to pick up a couple injuries in the last couple seasons too, after a few years of being available for / playing nearly every game. Will Edwards (and Hughes) be open to giving him a new contract next summer at 31 and 1 year remaining? Edwards was against giving Henderson a new contract in a similar situation.

Yeah I think CB will have to be looked at alright with Matip leaving, but with the breakthrough of Quansah maybe the search is more geared towards a Klavan type signing (or even another Matip!) as opposed to another Konate type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They are reporting that

I'd say the top three will be gone. If Matip hadn't gotten a bad injury and Klopp wasn't leaving I think he might have gotten a one year extension.

Mo and Virgil will be offered two year deals I'd think. TAA and Morton 5 years and Tsimksas a 4 year. Phillips will be sold, possibly the two young lads as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Talisman

Crystal Palace supporters I know say there was a rumour in January of an agreement in principle for Liverpool to sign Marc Guehi in the summer. He's a player the club showed an interest in last summer.

I think Morton, Tsimikas, Phillips, Williams, Jaros, Adrian, Matip, Thiago and van den Berg will never play for us again straight off

Then decision to be made on Salah, Virgil, Pitaluga, Robertson, as well as Ramsay, Beck and Carvalho who are contracted until 2026 but are out on loan (out of those latter 3 only Ramsay still counts as u21 next season for PL squad purposes)

Trent, Konaté, Kelleher, Doak should all get extensions, no downside to any of those. I'd also extend Mo and Virgil I just don't think it's straightforward at the money they must be on plus their age but if it's up to me I'm signing them asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hopefully Edwards is coming back with a new 10 year plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Even though Alisson has a contract until 2027 I have a bad feeling he could be leaving this summer after Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep, second club on the cards...

Maybe that other club can buy players, nurture them, then swap with us and we won't have to worry about FFP, that's the done thing, right? 😋

Post edited by Electric Nitwit on

I think his stock will never be higher, if we extend him it's to preserve the transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Second club bit is interesting, going from FSG looking to sell Liverpool not too long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bring Olise too if we're considering Palace players. He'd be a great understudy for Mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Rafa has been sacked by Celta Vigo.

👀

Was coming, don't like to see him sacked but let a lot of points go late on in games in February and now close to relegation zone.

Sometimes you just need the new manager bounce at the right time of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Morton dropped by Hull in recent games I thought.

Benched last match but played the full 90 in the previous 3. He's started most of their matches recently

He has played in all but 3 of the league games this season. A few weeks ago, Rosenior said he needed to be rested and having Seri back from the AFCON tournament would allow some rotation.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the multi-club model. Especially if it's a UEFA club where there are some muddy waters with ownership of players etc. I've been against other clubs trying to exploit FFP by having it, so there's no change when FSG are looking to do it. A portfolio of clubs takes the uniques away from clubs, for a start, let alone the whole movement of players & funds to skirt around rules and using one club just to benefit another.

We've seen before that FSG do try things that fans don't want, but would be appealing to them on a business side. Most clubs nowadays are at it so maybe they are looking at it with a view of 'can't beat them, join them'?

One 'business side' activity that would suggest that FSG undertook recently to suggest that they are open to making adjustments to their model was that they took out a loan to fund player purchases. It's not unusual for clubs to fund player purchases through loans, or to sell-off transfer fees to external credit facilitators (like the Coutinho deal), but we haven't really seen Liverpool use these for buying players under FSG. There's a few ways of looking at this, but maybe it's a sign that they are willing to push the boat out a little more now on transfer spend when in recent years they were more reserved and didn't make that extra 1 signing when needed such as 21/22 needing a CB in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

The idea of a feeder club (if that's what this is) seems to have only come out today, so with FSG its hard to know how long they have been sitting on this and where they want to go with it.

Bradley and Elliott have recently had very positive loan experiences, and others have done well also, so maybe that has focused FGS's mind on the fact that the right environment is very helpful. The fact that the FFP rules are quite favorable to selling homegrown players may have lead them to believe that the best business answer is to have the young players get blooded at a well run club which things are done on a similar basis to Liverpool.

On the credit facility, I'd be cautious about reading too much into that. FSG have always wanted the club to be self sufficient, but with the construction work ongoing I could see a scenario where they didn't have the cash at that particular time to do the deal and they took the pragmatic decision to borrow it.

Hopefully someone writes a good book on the inner workings on FSG at some point, would be very interesting.

Good point about the the stand redevelopment affecting cash flow.

I suspect that it'll be a club on the other side of the Atlantic. There was a Forbes article last year that delved into the soccer boom in North America in the last few years. The demographics for the audiences for traditional sports (NFL, NBA, NASCAR, NHL, PGA) in the U.S. are much older (10-25 years on average) than for soccer. The tv audience for the U.S.A vs England game at the World Cup Finals was larger than that for any domestic sporting event excluding American Football. FSG will want to diversify their portfolio and acquiring a club as the appetite for the sport grows in the U.S. makes a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think there’s talk of FSG looking at a South American club to buy, more a case of scouting there and plucking the rewards to sell for profit, I doubt we will be sending players their for loan for example.

Think the Salah and VVD contract issues will be very interesting with Edwards back on board, Hendersons new deal would not have happened if he was still there at the time and look what happened there. Now, Salah and VVD are playing at the top of their game and not comparable to Henderson per se, but will larger multi year contracts be offered to 30+ old lads with a lot of miles on the clock? Certainly will be an interesting one to see.

UEFA have reserved Croke Park to serve as a Fan Zone for the Europa League Final. 🤑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

One way to sort it is to have them meet now in the Quarter-finals if both make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

According to David Lynch this is the current time line for players to return from injury

Croke Park is a smart move because it means you can make it a ticketed fanzone (free) which is easier to coordinate and crowd control

But then again you don't know who's going to make it. The 2011 final was in the Aviva and they were giving away tickets on the day as 2 Portuguese teams couldn't sell it

Similar happened in the rugby in the older Lansdowne Road in 2003 for the Heineken Cup Final, was a massive sell out before the semi finals as it looked like it could be Munster v Leinster in Dublin but then both lose to French teams in the semi and they get 28,000 people to watch Perpignan v Toulouse in a stadium that holds twice that

It's really only a problem for UEFA if it's Rangers or us getting to the final. Or if it's one of the Italian teams like Roma just because of how much hassle they are

That's generally more optimistic than I thought 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

To add to that,seemingly konate was out running on grass today at training and he might make the Fa Cup game this Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

If Liverpool make it they could fill the aviva and croke park with just Liverpool fans. Klopps last European adventure is going to attract everyone. Doesn't matter if Qarabag make the final, never mind rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Everyone has Salah sold here. He does have the option to run down his contract for mega money. He also has to look around to see where he gets the success he wants.

PSG won't win the CL. Real are signing mbappe. Bayern wont pay him crazy money. Barca are screwed. Italian clubs aren't good enough or rich enough. City and arsenal are the next best teams in Europe and i really don't think he'd go to them.

I actually think he wants to stay long term. His problem now is that klopp is gone and Edwards' maths will push him to get rid.

VVD is the captain and seems to love it. I'd guess he'd love to step into the leader void left by Klopp. Be the arm around the shoulder guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could definitely see Mo staying another few years, as long as we get in a good manager to matches his own ambitions.

As you say, there's not a lot of places for him to go, and I really don't see him taking the Saudi option this young. That'll still be waiting for him whenever he wants it.

Yeah, not true at all that everyone has him sold. I genuinely believe we'll get to enjoy him for a few years yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think Mo will stick around.

I was impressed on Sunday work how we nullified Haaland and De Bruyne but seeing this makes me appreciate it even more. After the first ten minutes when we adjusted and settled, this is every single successful pass KdB made...

I've stolen this from 442's analysis which, as always, is brilliant (13min video)...

And UEFA are yet again going to sell general admission tickets weeks before knowing who's going to be in the final leaving less tickets for genuine fans of both teams that get there and inflating the secondary market

I look forward to missing out on the ballot again if we get there. Ticketing is such a scam these days. UEFA are clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It would be awful for Arsenal if Rice got crocked for like 10 games this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jota is the one we miss most, playing his best football before getting injured. I don't miss Allison at all, that's the best compliment I can give Kelleher.

I think they both run down their contracts and walk in 12 months, 33 and 34 then, I don't see any new contracts been offered as they would have to be increases on current terms.

Be good to have both next season for the transition to a new manager.

I'm not sure wage increases would be needed - both their last deals were signed with them at their absolute peaks. Same terms would probably be enough. Think it all depends on the options available to them when the time comes - though as captain I could see Virg wanting to stay.

For older players it's always a case by case basis - but in both their cases, they look like maintaining their ability for another few years yet, both aging well. Virg can practically walk through games, and Mo has value as a more central player even if he loses a little pace at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I couldn't see wage increases being needed, more negotiating on the length of the contract I reckon, neither player would accept a two year contract and their starting position would be doubtful after that.

Shame this is Arsenal's last game until after the international break, as the extra time could've left them a bit leggy. I'd like to see 'em get through though. Would actually kind of like to see them win the CL - they're one of the few teams that could probably take City on their day, so the further they go the better (and of course it distracts them a bit from the league).

• Advertisement
Advertisement