Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two hours for the church? dunno what they'd need that for; it's quite obvious it's going to be massively disruptive for them, not sure you can say much more than that!

(FWIW i know the chap who's PP there, but not from his job. nice chap.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

I hope they'd have the foresight to be granting permits for 15 stories right beside metro's. Why wouldn't you put dense apartments right next to a metro station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

After the Metro is built, a 15 story building might be OK.

However, it certainly should not be built instead of the Metro, or too close to the Metro, and certainly not before it is even put in for planning permission.

What chancers thought this was worth even turning up at the oral hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hope they'd have the foresight to be granting permits for 15 stories right beside metro's.

Lidl want to build it on top of the metro, and apparently only decided as much yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

In Ballymun, of all places...it's like they're saying "let's keep repeating the same mistake".

High-rise residential isn't how you get density up. It's much more effective (and much more attractive for occupiers) to build 3x the area at 5 stories than put up one 15-storey building. The amount of land needed is pretty much the same too.

• Advertisement

Ballymun flats didn't end up the way they did because they built too tall. They ended up that way because they have no amenities. If somebody is willing to foot the bill of building tall, let them at it.

No argument with this, they're fools trying to get the tunnel moved for it. Just wanted to make the point that there is no reason not to be building 15 story flats in Ballymun, particularly with the Metro going in. Would be highly desirable given the location.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The newest article from the hearings, and it's basically all the standard complaints about any large developments. "Too much traffic, too much disruption, too much noise, too many car parking spaces being taken, the church might as well be gone, etc".

Someone even said "are we in Amsterdam here?" in relation to bike parking.

In other words, they're all complaints that ABP have ignored for years.

The residents committees even said that the works will have a detrimental effect on school intake, even while the schools themselves have said that they support the project

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

"The church might as well be gone" ... well all the customers will be gone by the time metrolink is finished anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Let’s be honest, ML will probably run over on cost and time - let’s,not write a blank cheque, but let’s also be honest, this is adult, serious engineering with all sorts of complexities, most of which hopefully have been factored in, but this is what happens- experience elsewhere tell us this. However, the benefits will be enormous and this will be forgotten, indeed the clamour will be to,extend …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭alentejo

They could move the Ballymun Metro stop to Terenure ;) Could put up with several years of disruption if there was a shiny new metro at the end of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The height of the towers made them much more expensive to maintain than if the same number of dwellings had been built at 5-6 stories: money that would otherwise have been used to encourage amenities to be put in place had to be spent on maintenance.

High-rise residential only makes sense in city centres, where tenants will pay the higher costs in order to be close to everything in the city. In suburbs, and especially as social housing, it has a very poor record.

The high density of Barcelona, London or Paris is from swathes of five to six-storey residential blocks, not towers.

there were multiple reasons why Ballymun failed, the height of the towers may have exacerbated other problems, but it wasn't the root cause.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The big blocks at the Oral Hearing today are Hedigans, with 2 hours, Bindford (a development company that has an SHD on the Old Bakery site south of the canal), and Shandon Mill Residents company (further up the canal), both with 1 hour.

Hedigans are obviously claiming to be distraught at the thoughts of their historic pub being CPO'd and demolished, while attempting to ignore the fact that they twice submitted plans to demolish the pub and redevelop it.

Bindford will be most likely be saying that the works impact on their site, but ultimately that's a load of old crock.

Shandon, honestly have no idea, presumably they're going to complain about traffic and noise, etc.

We are definitely into the more emotive side of the hearings, where they attempt to make up for the lack of technical strength of the submissions by increasing the emotions involved. "The CHURCH will be GONE!!!/Our poor children will be RUN OVER by the trucks every single day!!!/We live in a village!!!/ Etc!!!". Definitely more annoying, but ABP has never really taken any of these kind of complaints on board. We just have to suffer through it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

It wouldn't be awful for AbP to ask in advance if their objection is purely based on traffic / noise / "I don't like construction near my house" and telling them to PFO with those. There's a not-insignificant cost to the state in holding these hearings and there is definitely a limit to useful public engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thats hilarious that they twice previously tried to look to demolish it themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Only bettered by Lidl.

The were saying, for the first time at the hearing, that they planned to build a 15 story tower over the Metrolink tunnel and the tunnel would prevent them from doing so.

And, to top that, their SC saying the sudden announcement of their plan would have no bearing on the validity of their claim, even though no plans exist and no submission for Panning has yet been made. One has to bear in mind, that TII have been in prolonged contact with Lidl for the period of Metrolink design.

Talk about going Full Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭VonLuck

A lot of articles seem to be referencing more detailed information that I haven't seen elsewhere. Are drawings available on the website or is it just the CGI renders?

Hedigan's seems to have accepted that they are getting CPO'd, at least from this article. They may have had more to say in their submission, but the general gist of the article is that they'd like the pub to be remembered in some way, and that perhaps the station could be called Brian Boru, as Glasnevin doesn't really reflect the location, which is somewhat fair enough.

TII were very noncommittal, with the spokesperson mentioning that they take it on board, with maybe the possibility of a name plaque at the station.

Of all the kinds of submissions that I'd take issue with, this doesn't affect me at all. I don't care what the name of the station is, just that the station is there. Call it Brian Boru Station, call it Purple Pimple Bottom, don't really care so long as it's actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Irish Times taking a few liberties with the headline there. Same way their reporting of the ‘hse’ objection to the Dun Laoghaire living cities initiative that Irish Times were happy to report on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That would be so impractical. Just call it Phibsboro & Glasnevin, make it do what it says on the tin.

it would be in keeping with Dublin transport tradition to name a station after a building that was no longer there - half the bus stops in the city are named after some obsolete business or other. They should name the Swords stop "Smyths Toy Superstore"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still fuming that they eventually renamed bus stop 3966 from O'Briens Supermarket to Maynooth SC ~25 years after it changed name :p

I don't know if Santry Retail Park (1627) ever existed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I'd be fine with Brian Boru Station or Cross Guns Station tbh. It adds a little touch of personality/ whimsy to the network. I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to anyone navigating really, locals know what and where it is, and anyone else just plugs their destination into Google Maps and it tells them to disembark at Brian Boru Station, that's fine, it's just as meaningful to them as the word "Glasnevin"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brian Boru seems fine, after all we have Pearse, Heuston and Connolly stations in the city which clearly aren't geographical names.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭danfrancisco83

So long as they don't allow estate agents name the stations we should be fine.

Glasnevin

Glasnevin North

Glasnevin North North

Glasnevin North North North

Well, Limerick Junction is not in Limerick, or even County Limerick.

I think Na Fianna GAA club missed a trick by objecting to their site being used for Metrolink instead of agreeing but the station was to be called Na Fianna. The disruption would be temporary but the name would be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How customer-friendly is Glasnevin (Brian Boru !) planned to be?

I was just thinking that people have talked about going from say Sligo to the airport with a quick 5 minute change/wait in Glasnevin. Which is great because it doesn't really matter when your Sligo-Dublin train turns up, there'll be a metro along imminently.

But the reverse journey is potentially more complicated - your wait in Glasnevin for the next Sligo train could be an hour or more. So is there plans for restaurants/bars/toilets, comfortable seating areas etc. Or is it just a bog-standard transfer station? For a station which is going to be such an important part of the network it probably deserves to be done properly, but there might be space restrictions?

There's going to be a commercial element there, in the station itself, but I wouldn't be expecting luxury at all at platform level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Well there's already a massive pub (The Bernard Shaw) directly across the road, with connected Eatyard full of foodtrucks. Next door to TBS is a row of eateries - a pastry café, a great Greek gyros place, sushi, pizza ,a Chinese.. I reckon you'll be sorted. If you wanted to do your shopping there's a Tesco 1 min walk away.

The Metrolink stations themselves are not designed for people to hang around in, they're not rural train stations.

Advertisement