Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bollox they do. You forgetting about the millions in rental property they own, and their special ability to grant themselves tax carve outs ?

So hereditary grifters, sitting on billions of pounds worth of land that by rights should be owned by the State.

By rights, some of it goes back to 1066 and all that, or the Magna Carta 1215. Depends on your view of "rights".

BTW, what is "the State"?

• Advertisement

The government, British people, the public etc. Whatever pedantry you want to dive into, spare me. The monarchy do nothing except leech public funds and dodge taxes. The idea that they bring in tourist money, like there's tickets being sold to see Prince William standing behind glass like a zoo animal, is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Listen, serious question - do you think all the cousins are in a WhatsApp group wondering wtf is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The UK has a much higher population though, so the overall cost is higher for the RF.

I know it's been mentioned here but the castles etc would still generate income if they were fully opened up as tourist attractions.

You will obviously have a different view than an Irish person as you grew up with it, I just find the whole thing bizarre tbh.

• Advertisement

I sincerely appreciate your post, recognising that I hold a different view.

Some body such as the National Trust could run them. Or, I think I'm right, that Madame Tussauds runs Warwick Castle. I've lived nearly half of my life in Ireland, so I do have a foot in both camps, as it were. I also pay tax in both jurisdictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I see Meghan won against her sister's defamation case. It was dismissed with prejudice because

Judge Charlene Honeywell said Samantha had "failed to identify any statements that could support a claim for defamation or defamation by implication".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1876697/meghan-markle-samantha-defamation-case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe Harry and Meaghan might realise now that they are not some kind of unique beings and that all the royal family have to deal with the media printing whatever they like!

I understand maybe Kate looks like sh1t atm & she doesn't want to be seen, but I don't know why they released that photo, it's made things a million times worse. The queen was right, never complain never explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

True but I think that they usually release family pictures on occasions like Mother's day, birthdays etc.. The storm around this might stop them from doing so again..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nothing to do with H&M if the palace or whoever are playing Nancy Drew mysteries.

A senior member of the royal family is openly lying to a public who pay for her opulence.

If she is trying to make complete mugs of people who fund her existence than that is newsworthy.

Meghan being blamed for climate change or whatever because she eats an avocado isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Interesting take considering your previous posts trying to prevent William and Kate being discussed. The hypocrisy from Royalists re Kate media storm when they actively fuel a Meghan negative hate train day after day…

They’re now a laughing stock in the US…not a good look for the Royal family. Sometimes consistently trying to blame and ridicule one’s brother and wife can come back to bite you. The decision making skills of those in Kensington have serious questions to answer. Why can’t they just put out a short video Charles has with done with some cards and well wishes?

https://x.com/zandisussex/status/1767765458256818593?s=46&t=UBltmPp8odCuau2P8oItgQ

https://x.com/chrisbaronsmit1/status/1767776840268001675?s=46&t=UBltmPp8odCuau2P8oItgQ

Interesting take considering your previous posts trying to prevent William and Kate being discussed.

Well, once the genie is out of the bottle, it’s important recognise what’s happened and react accordingly. I’m nothing if not pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

Highly unlikely they're a laughing stock, I'm sure the majority of the US couldn't give a **** about how or why William took a photo of his family.

• Advertisement

Ok, if that’s the case, why did all entertainment chat shows in the US and their hosts lead with segments about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Social media eh? The latest ones are that Kate tried to commit suicide at Christmas and "they" have been trying to manage her ever since. Like Diana throwing herself down the stairs. Like Meghan feeling suicidal. A misogynistic institution. Another is that she asked for a divorce at Christmas and William beat her up so badly she has been recovering ever since. Or that her face from a former cover of Vogue was used to superimpose on the Mothers Day picture. Or that a picture of them leaving in a car recently has some bricks in the background that differ from the window and above the car. It's all going the way that Kate could do a walkabout in a few days or weeks and social media people will claim it is done with AI and CGI.

People in histrionics because a sleeve was misaligned. The people who churn this stuff out are to my mind no different from those who have been scrutinising the Sussexes for hidden mics or doing hour long videos on body language. It is a grift, there is money to be made from such madness and clearly there is an audience for it all. Social media is awash with a lack of critical thinking, a distrust of institutions (in this case the British Monarchy) and a refusal to listen to facts i.e. this Rose affair still having legs. W&K have done engagements for decades but you'll still get such people rigidly believing they are divorcing, beating each other up, that they hate each other etc. It's akin to people still firmly believing Obama, for example, wasn't born in America, is a Muslim...etc. How do you manage that? How can you even try? You can't reason with people who haven't used reason to begin with to establish their beliefs. A YouGov poll taken a week back (of people who fund the monarchy) found that half of respondents back in reality land felt that the details of Kates illness provided were sufficient.

Make no mistake, Kensington Palace dropped the ball here. They should have been aware of the litany of conspiracy theories and speculations. Dropping a photo with errors only threw petrol on a bonfire on social media. Everything comes under scrutiny to feed biases. CNN doing a review of previous pictures. Crazy. A professional shot should have been done but, importantly, even that wouldn't sway or satiate those who despise W&K, the monarchy etc. It's a lessons learned job and warning about what is coming. Funnily enough, despite the good natured intention, it didn’t take a propaganda, mis/disinformation or conspiracy photo for me to learn about what a KILL NOTIFICATION in the media is. It took a mothers day photo to do that.

Another thing this fiasco has taught me is that this notion of Williams supposed quid pro quo dealing with the Devil of the media concept is blown away. Quite the opposite. They have been hammered. Over, of all things, an edited mothers day photo. The media have embarrassed themselves with the ridiculous amount of coverage given to this. I never gave much thought to William/Kate/KP having copyright over images. I have no in depth knowledge of such copyright law but I believe there is financial repercussions for the media in KP having control of such images (e.g. the Mothers Day one with tens of millions of views/clicks). They don’t own the images, can’t sell them. A big FU from William who may well hate the media himself. I think there has perhaps been such a pent up resentment regarding access and control that the media have lost their minds when given half a chance to go in studs showing. The royals are a money spinner. H&M and their life and PR provides ample and ongoing fuel for spinning that money e.g. I don't recall any KILL NOTIFICATION when Misan Harriman superimposed a tree into the "Notting Hill" B&W image when Meghan was pregnant with Archie. Most could care less. People understand that images are edited, altered. Think Harry and his full head of hair. No one sane or rational loses their minds. One thing about this is that a royal family at peace is not a good thing for the media. H&M have been fuel for this concept and are covered so extensively as a consequence.

W&K have control. Presumably they want to retain control. The same protection of their family that the Sussexes are lauded for. The media would love to have the access to a future Queens illness and recovery. Warts and all. They haven't been given that and it has been a dilemma as to how to manage it. They are P&POW, a future King and Queen and so are public facing people. Where is the line as such for access. Given that they will soon be King and Queen given Charles' advanced age then I think this has been a media gambit to chink their defence and bully back some control. If anything I think their overreaction to an edited photo will mean less access and an increased animosity, an animosity which will be more than happy to spread and share the utter manure stemming from social media.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I don't think the notion of Williams supposed quid pro quo dealing with the media is blown away necessarily.

A quid pro quo deal relies on you having something of interest in return for a favour but with other significant royals thin on the ground William would be playing with an empty hand making any deal he or the palace may have had null & void.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think much like social media you are overthinking it TBH.

The Palace are parroting the line Kate is fine.

Then they release a fake photo to prove it, which Kate had to apologise for.

It is certainly newsworthy at least in Britain.

At best they are making mugs out of the paying British public.

It's not going down well, even the staunch dribblers are starting to turn.

The question is why doesn’t Kate release a short video of her looking at cards and well wishes, be photographed going or coming from appointments like Charles or allow a professional photo. All of this would kill the speculation instantly.

It’s now reached the White House press room, not a good look.

https://x.com/chrisshipitv/status/1767875117361619053?s=46&t=UBltmPp8odCuau2P8oItgQ

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

SNL have been mocking your beloved Harry for years. Its not a new thing that the royals are a punchline.

I'd say she looks like shıt and doesn't want the images out there forever more.

The surgery seems to have been urgent because they had to cancel prior engagements, planned could mean planned the day before rather than rushed from an ambulance to the operating theatre. Until we know, if we ever find out, what the surgery was, it's impossible to know what's going on.

The poorly edited photo, which isn't just a misaligned sleeve, has really thrown a spanner in the works. I don't think Catherine ever sat for that photo and that all the editing was to make it look like a relaxed family moment. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs their head examined.

Back after Easter is vague too, e.g., Christmas is after Easter so I'm not sure she'll actually be seen at Easter. Was it a potentially embarrassing or life-saving medical condition, or is something else going on? The speculation will just continue until she's out and about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

How would a press team and private secretaries react to a senior royal saying she wanted to convalesce in private and until they were ready I suppose. To do engagements and be visible is asking a sick woman to perform but that woman is the Princess of Wales and a future Queen so I would deem how this was managed as akin to a compassionate failure i.e. the longer the recovery went on the bigger the social media powder keg got. Hindsight is wonderful and no one was expecting Kate to do full on engagements straight after a suregry but, to stem the whole Where is Kate? histrionics then maybe, once she felt up to it, some patronages and charities could have been engaged with via phone calls or Zoom calls with their social media channels disseminating the details. Like what they did during the first Covid lockdown. And with professional photographs! People like Chris Ship will always still say that the foliage is too green but some things just can't be managed. She was seen out recently so I think this is maybe what they'll do now to fill the void between recovery and back to full duties. It was a void which they allowed speculation and conspiracies to reach a frenzy point.

This post is full of a weak defence for Kate and mainly William’s disastrous handling of this whole saga. Why didn’t they follow the Charles and Camilla playbook? Appearing in photos, videos, on visits, etc. Why all the secrecy? Why release a photoshopped picture of the family - why not just take a real one? They could have always edited the real one if Kate wasn’t happy with her appearance.

The fact Prince William claimed to take the now thought to be AI generated photo and then swiftly blamed his ill wife for it when it got found out is pathetic. His actions and that of Kensington Palace in relation to this whole saga have made their position much worse and fanned the flames. You reap what you so I guess.

• Advertisement

Harry isn’t a working Royal. He’s not representing Britain diplomatically abroad and doesn’t have anything to do with ‘The Firm’ at this time. This is all primarily William’s mess via Kensington Palace PR and for once they’ve nowhere to hide and no Harry and Meghan or indeed even Kate to throw under to bus to hide his own incompetence. They have tried to use Kate as the fall person but I don’t think blaming a sick wife who hasn’t been seen in months is going to work out well for them, do you?

Advertisement