Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Charlie Bird

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I think as a journalist he did his best.

As a person dealing with MND he was a champion.

Truly horrific disease.

Loved seeing him with his little wingman Tiger.

Rest in peace Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmm...seeing as you wrote the the nonsense below over on the Gript thread, I'll take your opinions on a real journalist, or journalism in general, with a large pinch of salt.

Gript is playing a significant role in restoring democracy,they are speaking for the people who RTE etc despise ( middle Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He could have just sat back and tried to manage the condition and his quality of life as best he could but he was selflessly advocating for , campaigning for and fundraising for and indeed kicking up hell about the chronic lack of resources and help that is available for people and their families who have been victims of MND and indeed other nerve disorders and brain injuries / conditions…..

even when he wasn’t very well and his condition was obviously progressing to the point he could hardly communicate he was still going for it and helping others. A terribly selfless and caring individual…..RIP…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A decent salt, seemed very genuine and hardworking.

It is poignant that he wanted to live every last minute, while there is now talk of the "right to die". Bird showed there is another way.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

In the words of Jeffrey Lebowski, You have your opinion, I have mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Household name growing up. Always the man in the field. Seemed genuine and interested in his work.

Very sad how things ended up for him.

RIP

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think the best tribute that can be to Charlie Bird is the respect and esteem his fellow journalists hold him in. The stories shared by many of them on X today, really do highlight that.

On his battle with MND? An awful disease, 1 that really robs someone of their strength, vitality and eventually, their dignity. All whilst leaving one's mind intact, a horrible affliction.

Yet? Charlie bore it with grace and courage.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a Anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sad to hear this news today.

Like a few others in here, he was a voice of my youth as well, and to see how he approached his diagnosis in recent years, a really brave man.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also worth remembering how the likes of Charlie Bird and Daniel O'Donnell backing the yes campaign during the marriage referendum was pretty impactful. It helped with that multi generational backing of it. RIP, he became an inspirational figure around MND but also his support of the Stardust victims over the decades was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,506 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

i only remember bits about Charlie's news reporting days.

However back in about September 2021 I was in the process of learning to driving and making a big ordeal out of driving a manual car it being so hard, desperately needing an automatic, etc.

I was coming home from a driving lessons when the news flashed up about Charlie having MND and then listening him to speak about it.

It really made me get over myself and get used to a clutch and drive.

So, I think it's thanks to Charlie I got over myself learnt to drive a manual car.

RIP Charie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭mikethecop

A well known grumpy bastard when not working a through professional when he was

Any innocent who approached him when he went for the occasional pint found out quickly to leave him in peace to enjoy his pint as it should be.

Very well respected, liked and trusted way beyond the current generation of journalists

he could not have done more in any conceivable way for others effected by his illness , we are all the poorer without him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He did groundbreaking work in the late 90s with George Lee to break the National Irish Bank organised tax evasion scams, with some real cloak and dagger stuff going on for them to get the evidence they needed.

Unfortunately, RTE ended up paying over a €1million to the lovely Beverly Cooper Flynn (daughter of Pee Flynn) about fifteen years later.

Advertisement