Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Detritus70

That is utter nonsense. I would get very pissy with them.

They will either have to give you the money back or not charge a deposit. I would tell them that I would refer this to consumer watchdog, because that is a farce.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭jj880

Living near the A-Hole of nowhere does have it's drawbacks. Been there. done that. Though I say that the shop should return your deposit even without a machine and I would once again refer this to a consumer rights body. After all, my local shop here in Germany is perfectly capable of doing so without one.

I dare say that I'm not surprised that a lot of gougers and crooks who run small shops would see this as an opportunity to fleece people.

Even if it's a few cent, a fuss should be kicked up, because it's not just you but others who are also affected.

And whose fault is that? It really is not a huge ask to return bottles in 99.99999% of all cases. There is no need whats-so-bloody-ever for Re-turn to keep any money from any deposits.

I keep the empties in a bag that I grab on the way to the weekly shopping. As I walk in I spend 2 minutes throwing them into the machine. At the end I put the coupons on the belt with my shopping and they are deducted from the total.

This is as easy as falling off a log, but I am sure a lot of people work *really, really* hard at making this difficult and complicated for themselves and others so they can claim this is unworkable and a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I returned a few bottles to Dunnes yesterday, no problems until I gave the voucher at the till. The ink seemed to be running out and so the barcode reader wouldn’t scan it. Lady behind the till said she had told her manager about it a few times already but no one had come to fix it.

I wasn’t in a hurry but I could see how people could get annoyed at the delay. She had to manually input a 25 digit code but was struggling to see it so it took 4 goes. I nearly told her it was ok and to forget about it but decided to wait. Not sure the people behind me in the queue were very happy.

It’s not a big deal but it frustrates me that they are trying to replace something that was so simple (putting plastic bottles in my recycling bin) with something that takes more effort and added stress for the shop workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

Most ridiculous thing I've seen with this scheme so far is the WH Smith after security in terminal 1 in Dublin Airport charging the deposit. How many of those plastic bottles and cans are bought by visitors, so leave the country and are never returned... probably the majority. Surely the deposit shouldn't have to be paid if buying something in shops in the airport, where it is quite clear that it impossible to retrieve the deposit if leaving the country.

• I thought if the place is exempt from the scheme you don’t pay a deposit? Is that not the whole idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,373 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's different exemptions.

Exemptions from having to take back the container for retailers under 250 square metres - but still have to charge the deposit.

Exemption if the beverages sold are mainly consumed on the premises - don't have to charge the deposit to consumers but are meant to the collect the bottles themselves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There's a link here to Hospitality Guidelines for the scheme.

The hospitality sector is split between on-site consumption and off-site consumption. Businesses that predominantly cater for onsite consumption are not obligated to charge a deposit for in scope products. The rationale for this is that the empty containers remain on premises and are consumed on-site. It is up to each establishment to determine whether or not to charge the deposit. If a deposit is charged, the consumer can take their container off site. If the deposit is not charged, then the business is responsible for collecting the containers and taking them to a Return Point Operator to reclaim their deposit.

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Hospitality-Summary-Info-Guide-1.pdf

I just noticed that in my Dunnes app... the wallet has a title for "Reward and Re-turn Vouchers".

I wonder if that's a sign they are planning to link up their machines so your refund can go into your Reward account hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Under the scheme, your deposit is only a temporary holding of your cash until you claim it back. If they combine it with their own points system, are they forcing you to spend it in their stores? They would be converting your cash to points without your consent.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I am guessing that it would be some option you tick, or auto if you scan rewards card at the machine?

The refund voucher from the machine has to be spent in that store so it is not much of a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭dunworth1

that would actually be good one less bit of paper to mind.

not to mention the amount of tress that could be saved :pac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I imagine that means return voucher as in the voucher you get for returns of normal stock. Nothing to do with the (badly named)ReTurn scheme.

If its really so easy why have countless people had problems?

You are just special I guess.

It has the Re-turn spelling with the hyphen... as the scheme usually does and you omitted in an act of vandalism :)

We'll have to see how it pans out.

Well in that case it does sound like its connected to Re-Turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Totally agree but they are forcing you to spend it in the store you return the empties to anyway. Unless you claim back in cash, which they know most won't. At least this might mean less paper wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

As long as it is optional and not mandatory it's fine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yep, something like an opt-in option as @odyssey06 mentioned above would be ideal.

• Advertisement

• Unfortunately not. Place is only exempt in so far as not having to provide machine, accept voucher etc, now I stand to be corrected here as quite frankly I’m not engaging with the scheme, too much else going on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It would make commercial sense to Dunnes if they can do it.

Their business model is based on loyalty and repeat sales through the "10 off 50" and Clubcard schemes.

Bringing the Re-turn vouchers into the app would give them a USP to attract new customers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Maybe they are planning a 'loyalty bonus' - 5c more if you add the value to your Dunnes Store app, etc. Could be a ballsy move for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Ever hear the phrase the free market?

Remember those promises of access to all of the EU markets and good!

If small producers from other countries and even our own for example craft breweries face increased costs, they will pass it on, to us the consumer. Those noted may not bother to supply the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All beer is going to need cancer warnings for the Irish market soon, which is likely to cause vastly more breweries to decide not to bother. Importers will have to overlabel, which they can already do for the re-turn logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I'm sure it's already been addressed in this thread but there's too many posts to go back on to confirm, so here's my first time experience with the Return scheme.

Packed up a bag of empty 2 Litre bottles and some cans.. all with the Return logo on them. Headed off to my local SuperValu, within walking distance so no major effort involved. Essentially a trial run to see how the whole system worked out.

Everything I deposited into the machine was rejected with the error message '"Too Fast.. try again".. (or something along those lines).

I stepped back and allowed those behind to give it a go. They were met with the same message.

Adjacent to this Return machine was an industrial skip, containing a substantial amount of plastic bottles, cans.

The cynic in me would lead me to believe this is some sort of scam.. machine not accepting bottles, cans. A typical customer reaction would be, "ah feck it.. I'll just throw 'em into the skip!" Later on the Return machine can be calibrated to accept previously rejected material and someone could end up with a nice little earner!

Too much of a stretch? Should I head over to the Conspiracy thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement