Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

There are new rules now in Dublin airport. I was flying back from holiday and on the plane before the plane lands, they mention you need your passport ready for inspection just outside the plane. This is what happened, just off the plane and few people are checking everyone to make sure they have their passport then they let you in.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What happens/ happened to anyone claiming not to have a passport on the tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I've heard this alright. It's positive and will help in making sure people can't destroy their passports or mislead officers about where they have flown from. Gardai have also arrested some people for destroying their documents and they have sent others back to where they came from in recent weeks. Again positive but still nowhere near enough being done.

We need big investment in technology that will enable the identification of fake passports and lookalikes, to prevent chancers boarding planes in the first instance and then also to enable us to identify which flights all passengers came off if there is any doubt.

Reliance on physical passports will probably drop in the coming years as eletronic systems are introduced n the Schengen area, and it will probably be harder for people to become undocumented. But of course Ireland will lag behind and probably remain an easy target for chancers.

There's also bigger policy or legislative changes required. If someone is caught at the door of a plane and then they claim asylum in Ireland, they may still be allowed to get off the plane and into the system.

If it is later discovered that they already received protection in another European country (which is very often the case), then we must still ask that country for permission to return the asylum seeker to them. The other countries mostly say no to these requests. That's madness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think they are put back on the plane they arrived in.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭rodders999

All government and main opposition parties advocated for a Yes Yes vote in the referendums and the public returned a resounding No. Mary Lou already on record saying she’d re-run both on the back of a no vote if SF are in power next term!

All government and main opposition parties are in agreement with current immigration policy despite the latest opinion poll showing that the vast majority (84%) of the public are dissatisfied with what’s going on.

Has there ever been a more out of touch parliament in this country?

If there wasn’t mass panic in FG, FF and SF headquarters before yesterday you’ll be damn sure there is now. The local elections are going to be very, very interesting to put it mildly.

My local SF councillor is stepping away from politics and on her way out the door has advocated for people to vote for the Independent Ireland candidate in the summer. There’s going to be a huge amount of these candidates elected along with independents, farmers alliance etc.

It’s frightening how out of touch Leo, MM, Eamonn Ryan and Mary Lou are. with the vast majority of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

Unfortunately not. The door checks might be somewhat of a deterrent but most chancers will get to enter Ireland and start the claim/appeal scam.

If anything the numbers arriving will increase this year.

At this stage, these small changes to handling arrivals are not going to do much to improve things.

Only legislative and policy changes and improved technology in immigration is what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

yeah of so course shure why would anyone want to use a hotel in their own hometown. More important use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The government is going to have make Nigeria a safe country .The majority are just coming from the UK and still get to stay despite the false claims . The projected rise in asylum claims is 18k this year expect more on the streets .

[URL unfurl="true"]https://gript.ie/new-figures-show-state-is-on-course-for-record-number-of-asylum-applications-in-2024/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_5_17_2022_13_19_COPY_01)[/URL]

The dubious companies and directors behind asylum seeker accommodation. Wealth Options Trust was part of a property scam that duped Irish investors it was connected to Dolphin Trust a pyramid scheme that went bankrupt.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://gript.ie/the-companies-behind-the-rathmines-asylum-accommodation-centre/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_5_17_2022_13_19_COPY_01)[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Seems like locals in Tipperary want refugees...didn't the Irish travel the world?

Cloughjordan native Ruari McBride said that when he saw what was happening in Racket Hall, he wanted to come here and stand in solidarity with the anti-racism groups.

“Irish people moved all around the world over the years and other people have the right to do that too.”

People holiday in Turkey but this lad sought asylum here...

"Former asylum seeker, Hasret Dayan from Turkey, said: “I am a refugee, and I live in Cloughjordan for the last seven years. I have my own private place now and I am out of the main system, and I am waiting for my citizenship. I am almost there.

"I am a professional chef. I came here in 2016 and there were no protests then. I feel sorry and a little bit angry, when I arrived my community was so helpful. I felt really at home, and I have really nice friends."

Anyone can come to Ireland claim asylum get benefits and stay it's wonderful.They should be delighted a record number will come this year .They need to take in a few stop mouthing and jumping around with banners .

There is a difference when Irish go abroad they have to work. Still the naive persist .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

I agree with this and posted a similar comment before.

The concept of a list of "safe countries" is backwards. Countries should be considered safe automatically unless there is a war there.

I would perhaps even go one step further and say that there should be a list of unsafe regions, not countries.

In regards to your previous point about why not just put them back on planes. Well, it's complicated because sometimes we don't know which planes they came off. This is indicative of a complete lack of monitoring flights arriving at the airport. It's beyond ridiculous that people can hide in toilets when they come off a plane, and then present to passport control hours later after many flights have come come and gone. Basic monitoring would resolve this. That how little will there is to resolve the problem.

Here are some things we need to do:

• Increase the number of countries that require visitor visas to come here, as I previously discussed at length and gave examples of the effectiveness of this measure.
    • Refuse to accept national identity cards as a means of passing immigration controls. Passports only. This would prevent people coming here on fake EU ID cards (very often used) and then claiming asylum. Work with airlines so that they change their own boarding policies accordingly.
    • Increase the fines issued to airlines for allowing people to get off flights without documents or without required visas. Currently, I think it's around 1,500 euro per passenger. Should be ten times this.
    • As a matter of routine, charge people who show up with no documents.
    • Greater monitoring of the airports so that we can immediately spot people who are attempting to destroy documents, and so that we know where they came from.
    • Invest in technology to help airlines and immigration officers identify fake documents. I know airline staff have very little training in this regard.
    • Door checks on absolutely every flight coming from the most common routes for undocumented arrivals.
    • A tough crackdown on people traffickers who are accompanying undocumented immigrants and teaching them how to come here, what to say when they arrive, what to do with their documents etc. Many of these people are naturalised Europeans who have been through the asylum scam process themselves.
    • Huge changes to naturalisation requirements. Advanced English required to be an Irish citizen. At least five years of work and paying taxes required. Absolutely nobody should be given citizenship after just three years.
    • Completely do away with the vague "permission to remain" category that failed asylum seekers are often awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Posts-R-Us

I thought about unsafe regions, but I disagree. It would become extremely bureaucratic and require ongoing monitoring of every minor conflict in the world. Maybe it would work at an EU level.

But on further thought if there is an unsafe region in a country, surely your first thought would be to go to a safe region in your country? Where you share similar language/culture? Rather than hop on multiple flights to come to Ireland/UK/Europe? Likewise seeking a safe country, that should be based on proximity - Fleeing war in Mali, go to Senegal/Mauritania/Burkina Faso. Unless you're not seeking only a safe place, but better economic opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree with all the above, however the most important of all is a criteria of common sense.

If I for some reason had to flee Ireland in the morning, I'd go to the UK as it's the closest country that I speak the language, or Germany because my family is German. I wouldn't go to Laos or Mauritania. The same should be enforced here, if you're coming from Nigeria, Tunis or Cambodia, you should be sent back. There are plenty of safe countries after leaving any african, middle eastern, or south american or asian country before you reach Ireland. Therefore the only reason these people are coming here is to benefit from our overtly generous social welfare state.

Fair point in that in would be difficult to classify minor conflicts in every region of the world. Perhaps in order to be considered "unsafe", most of a country should have directly experienced conflict. If there are vast areas of a country that are safe, then people should be expected to go there before coming here. In the same vein, if there are people that live in an unsafe country, but they were born or have strong family ties in a safe country, then this should also be considered when granting asylum e.g. if you hold a Ukrainian passport and you were born in Georgia, well then you should go to Georgia and not claim asylum in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The free for all needs to end now, it’s gone beyond a piss take at this stage 

80+% of asylum seekers flying into the state claim to have no documents and the majority are arriving from designated safe countries

We’ve been *way* too soft touch in controlling this, and this is the result. It helps nobody. 

Between Roderic inviting the world to claim their free houses and Helen just choosing not to apply our immigration laws you’ve the makings of this colossal shitshow.

A well earned legacy for dumb and dumber. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Posts-R-Us

I agree - you should have to provide reasoning to claim asylum in that specific country, and reasoning for rejecting other closer/more logical avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

As night follows day with this Idealogy , Dublin streets are turning into an open sewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

What an absolute mess, in more than one way. This Government is disgrace for allowing this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I don’t know Dublin but would that be the city centre, tourist area?

Where do they go when the need the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its close, it is about 5 minutes from Merrion Square, the Grand Canal is at the end of the road and it is about a 5 minute walk from Grand Canal dock. Most folks would know the street as it is where the Passport office is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Varadkar over in the US stating how 'St Patrick was a migrant to Ireland - a single, male, undocumented one'.

Purposely conflating illegal economic migrants pretending to be asylum seekers and those fleeing to Western countries with similar cultures and values, in a totally different era, and to a developing world in its infancy. Those with an IQ about room temperature know all of this of course.

Boston and New England has been a “safe harbour” for Irish immigrants to the US, many of whom were escaping hunger, poverty and discrimination, he said, pointing out that they were “seeking better lives for their families”

Ireland was his “adopted home” – a home “which he brought some ‘dangerous foreign ideas’ such as the Roman civilisation and Christian religion.

Nationality and identity “are far more complex and fluid than people often care to admit”

I'll you's read on. He is truly an out-n-out west-brit parasite.

How many times must people prove this argument to be false? It's unintelligent as the open border mantra "there is only one race, the human race". I think he's upset.

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Ah Leo now I understand… all these single male IPA are like our national saint? ya should of said sooner. Let’s get building houses quicker for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

An unfortunate comparison you'd think, given that Patrick is credited with having converted the native people from their own beliefs to Christianity and that henceforth many Irish people came to be named Paddy or Patricia. .... follow the obvious line of thought.

This must be the new vision for Ireland and why it has to be stoutly resisted.

Advertisement