Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

I heard the list of prizes being called out also, I really thought he was leading into a proper prize, they are pitiful prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

Doubt it, he went into a story about being in a bookshop and resisting the temptation to buy a book, as his brother had just given him one to read. Compared it to an alco resisting buying another pint in the pub.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Certain things tend to deflect on other things. I once FoI'd RTÉ about some flights an executive took as part of his remuneration to NYC, he could not cancel them in 2020 due to the lockdown ... but he took one extra one to fly home for a funeral of his friend (a well known personality) ... they really wanted me to take this on board ... sadly in the year of my FoI I had lost my Grandmother and my Aunt so my sympathy towards the Executive wasn't to be found. Now it is coupled with the possibility that he left the organization on a exit package. Free flights to NYC every year and an exit package. But he made is way back for a funeral to show what a wonderfully thoughtful person he is ... of course he expensed RTÉ!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

In 1987 and 1988 Sunshine 101 gave away over 50k in prizes and a paid DJ job at the station in their Big Kahuna competition. 36 years later all Tubridy can manage is crashing the vocals and a £20 voucher.

More winning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hasn't he done this "resist going into the bookshop" lark a few times now? It sounds familiar, and I don't even listen to 150KTubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not enough 'Me' or 'I''s in there for it to suit Tubridy's style.

This was different, he went in, had the book in his had, but then resisted buying it :-)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He's playing 'Senior Hurling' now, and don't anyone forget it.

Senior Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭animalinside

"a great friend of mine was Charlie, one of the last things he said to me was "Ryan I wish you well but please go away", which I took to mean as a dying wish that people would forget about those financial irregularities and that we would have forgiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

He's missing all the books sent in free gratis in the hope of a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭chrisd2019

This morning in his first 20 minutes of his slot, he managed to almost self combust during his 2nd link and asked "Can we restart and reset this and start over again?"

Whatever he is on I want some of that. A link name-dropping Chris Evans' last guest and how he told him off air that he used to live in Ireland and name-dropped Dublin locations, all of which is totally irrelevant to his UK audience. He seemed so excited he started to stutter rapidly and blither. And then stepped all over the intro of A-ha's "Take On Me".

Then during his 3rd link, he wasn't any better-stuttering "I'm not a rat person" a couple of times when he READ OUT another dead story about rats eating cigarette butts by his unfortunate £14 per hour producer.

Senior Hurling

Post edited by alzer100 on

Before the bottom of his first hour, the "content presentation" deteriorated into talking about himself and how he was made into a cartoon character twice... once for his lounge album 20 odd years ago and now how someone at Virgin Radio has also made a cartoon character of him...

Yet he failed to mention how Oliver Callan made a Muppet character out of him famously for Callan's Kicks?

Selective memory there Mr Tubridy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

"someone at Virgin Radio has also made a cartoon character of him"

Might be created to ridicule him and to portray him in a negative light, they might be venting their frustrations toward him. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I just want to point out - for correct context - that Tubridy's "best friend" reference in relation to Saoírse Ruane was because she gave him a card on the Late Late show that thanked him for all he had done for her, and she signed it off "love, your best friend, Saoírse".

He was merely reciprocating the sentiment she expressed in his tribute to her.

It doesn't need to be taken literally, and there was certainly nothing creepy about it.

What are the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder?

• Sense of self-importance.
    • Preoccupation with power, beauty, or success.
    • Entitled.
    • Can only be around people who are important or special.
    • Interpersonally exploitative for their own gain.
    • Arrogant.
    • Lack empathy.
    • Must be admired.

Narcissistic personality disorder involves a pattern of self-centred, arrogant thinking and behavior, a lack of empathy and consideration for other people, and an excessive need for admiration. Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding.

moderator: alzer100 was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

Your correct context is remarkably insightful. On what authority do you make this claim?

I am specifically asking about 'his' decision to reciprocate the term 'best friend', not that she sent him a card signing off as best friend.

Clearly, she wasn't his best friend, but he used that in relation to her. To not contextualise that on his article, I find inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I uninstalled my app as soon as i heard they were being used as metrics 😊

20 euro or sterling book voucher is a good prize 😀

• Advertisement

If you are addicted to books, like an alcoholic is addicted to booze.

A comparison he made of himself a few days ago.

Just means you'll more than likely buy a book rather a 100 euro voucher where you might get tempted to buy whatever else they bleeding sell these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is the Surveillance Economy. Not only is your phone tracked, Tubridy is tracking you too. :) Seriously though, it would be a far better method of measuring audience engagement with shows like Tubridy's. The whole RAJAR and JNLR methodologies just don't close the loop because they are based on asking people whether they heard a show. With an app or even listening online, the listener has to actively choose to listen. It is unlike hearing a show on some radio in the background.

Regards...jmcc

That's a very stupid comparison. Booze is physically damaging in excess. It is like Tubridy has this need to be thought of as an intellectual because he reads a few books. That might have worked with some of the people who listened to his show in RTE but London, and the UK, is a very different audience. Many people read books but don't have the overwhelming need to talk about them.

As for the £20 voucher prize, that might buy a few paperbacks or one (almost) hardback. Amazon kindle and e-book publishing has really taken off over the last ten years or so and publishers often publish a print and e-book version at the same time. As has been previously mentioned, Tubridy likes print books. Is there a sponsor for thise voucher competition or is it just himself?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm slightly more surprised it isn't just a Harper Collins only voucher; considering they're based in the same building.

He's not on today did anyone notice!

______

Yesterday

Difficulty in getting into the studio or has he been replaced? He's supposed to be at Cheltenham according to Twitter.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

No sorry Q102 aren't carrying the show as he is live from Cheltenham,

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Charlie Bird funeral?

Advertisement