Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That was a great game. Man of the match - the referee, loved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Very ironic given who Havertz's manager is!

Usually a tie going to ET midweek is a real problem for teams who are going for a title, but Arsenal will be glad that the fixtures are falling nicely for them again with their weekend game postponed and then the international break directly after that. The ET tonight won't affect their league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Yep, coz they’ll be out of it come the middle of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Need English teams for the entertainment level so best result for the prospects of watchable knockouts. Especially given Porto’s hard battling but little else approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hard to see beyond City, Real, and Arsenal to win the whole thing I think. Would like to see Arsenal take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

He is still as dirty as ever but Pepe is some man,best defender on the field tonight over 120 mins…….at the age of 41!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thought he was dreadful, weak , fell for all the play-acting , didnt allow game flow

Squeezing through , will help Arsenal, very tired performance , the 3 week break will refresh them, my team for the league now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wete you watching the Barcelona game? Arsenal game was definitely let flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think it suits City to have Arsenal progress in Europe, still strong favourites for the league

It does however help the likes of Spurs and United as the better English teams do the more chance that 5th place will qualify for the CL next season

• Advertisement

nope, the penalties was the most exciting , the play acting of porto got to me, though Pepe MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fairly **** thing to do if true and I don't see why he'd lie about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was amazed by just how good he was. A fantastic footballer, despite all the shitness he gets up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

3rd English club he has accused this of in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not his first time to claim someone insulted him after being beaten.

Really? Hadn't heard that, who was it?

The bench did seem to go mad at one point though so maybe something was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Said Tuchel insulted him in 2021 and Pep used ugly words in 2020

Never heard about any of that before. Maybe he's just a bad loser so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Newcastle and Man Utd crashing out at the group stage put a dent in the hopes of an extra Champions League spot for the Premier League. As things stand it's Italy and Germany that lead the coefficient standings.

True, but Lazio and Napoli are already out at this stage and Inter could follow tonight leaving no Italians in the CL with 2 English still there

Fiorentina and Atalanta are in the balance tomorrow and could go out. You'd fancy Roma and Milan to qualify.

So you could have a situation with only 2 Italian teams left in Europe after this round with City, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham and Villa all still fighting in it so there could be a bit of time to go. In that scenario Freiburg would also be out and Dortmund could go out tonight I think that would only leave Bayern and Leverkusen left for Germany?

Lots of ifs and buts and it's still an average of all teams, but I don't think it's completely insurmountable yet

• Advertisement

Last week, Opta’s projections had Italy as near certs to be top two, England with a 64.5% chance, and Germany with a 29.5% chance. Arsenal winning last night will have tilted this further in England’s favour. At this stage it would take a few big upsets for England not to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool and Man City will likely be finalists of their respective competitions so will probably tip PL in favour the 5th spot

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

the draw could have a big impact on this; City could draw Arsenal so one goes out at QF stage. Likewise with Liverpool and West Ham assuming they beat Freiburg.

For the purpose of calculating the coefficients, the knockout stages of the Champions League and Europa League competitions are treated equally. It doesn't matter if there no Italian teams left in the Champions League if they have the numbers in the other competition. Italy will possibly have 3 teams in the Europa League draw on Friday, England will have 2 at most. I'd have a higher degree of confidence in Atlanta being there than West Ham.

West Ham beat Freiburg twice in the group stage scoring two goals on each occasion, now they have to repeat the feat without conceding a goal and their form isn't inspiring (LWWLLLDD) and they last kept a clean sheet on January 2nd.

If Inter lose tonight, there will be 3 Spanish teams in the Champions League draw and I wouldn't be confident of Arsenal overcoming either of the Madrid clubs. Porto were Atletico lite at best.

England had 8 clubs in UEFA competitions this season, each of the other top European leagues had 7. That's significant because it means each bonus point for progressing through the knockout rounds is worth less for the English teams. The coefficient is calculated using the number of points accumulated by the clubs from a country divided by the number of clubs from the country that qualified for UEFA competitions.

The best hope for an extra Champions League spot for the Premier League next season is if the Italian teams are drawn against each other in the Europa League and similarly for the Spanish teams to be drawn against each other in the Champions League draw.

Italy are in decent shape alright, it’s Germany that are likely to drop down to third spot once we get to the sharp end of things.

There could be 4 German teams in the draws on Friday. I wouldn't expect Dortmund to progress any further in the Champions League but Bayern and Leverkusen are both capable of reaching the final in their respective competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Unbelievable

He's the same age as Arteta who has been Arsenal's manager for 4+ years and retired for 8 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't see why he would lie about it either. We all know Arteta is prone to blowing his top, but this would be going well beyond what is acceptable = if true of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If someone from that Porto team told me the sky was blue, I'd go outside and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Probably something like 'son of a bitch' or 'son of a whore' in Spanish. Not nice, but also not really 'insulting a dead member of my family' as it's effectively just a figure of speech.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbf as has been said he has form in this regard with Pep and Tuchel, he's not a very likeable character at the best of times tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Tonight's game between Inter Milan and Athletico should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wasn't over impressed with Arsenal last night tbh. This is an ordinary Porto side, and Arsenal were very very cautious. I'm not saying penalties are lucky or anything, buy it's a very fine line, and Arsenal and Arteta's overly cautious approach is what leaves them behind City and Liverpool. City and Liverpool always go out to win games, these 2 ties were the first time since late last year the pressure was really on Arsenal and they played with real fear. Every selection Arteta made rad defensive, Kuviol instead of Zinchenko, Jorginho in midfield, just playing cautious. I know there are no style points handed out, but I thought it was a sign of them tightening up and it's a long way to go in the season to be playing with fear like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nicely worked goal and Inter are in the driving seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The French lad for Madrid had other ideas. Nice zip in the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Awful defending, attempted sliced clearance but Atletico will take the lifeline.

And there it is, with 10 to go including injury time, this setsit up nicely. Inter had gone too defensive.

Riquelme had a glorious vhance to win it at the death, if he kept it low, he would have scored and put Atletico through.

Hard not to see Atletico score in ET.

Looks to be Atleti's to lose now alright - though you never know how momentum can shift in these things. Needing to score again Inter might pull the finger out and bring a bit of intensity early in extra time.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, could easily be 2-1 to Inter just in extra time alone! Plenty of chances cropping up.

Thuram with a Vinny Jones type squeeze on Savic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All the sh*thousery and cynical fouling going on makes we want neither teams to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not to put too fine a point on it, buy I'd be surprised if this is the last of this incident. Nowadays, is it acceptable to fondle another persons genitalia like that?? Sexual assault in any other environment, hardly acceptable just because it's in a stadium surely??

Atleti look like they've decided to settle for pens now. Dangerous game, inviting Inter on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 2nd Leg Results

FC Bayern München (GER) 3 V 0 S.S. Lazio (ITA) - (Agg 3-1)

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) 1 V 2 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - (Agg 1-4)

Manchester City FC (ENG) 3 V 1 FC Copenhagen (DEN) - (Agg 6-2)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 1 V 1 RB Leipzig (GER) - (Agg 2-1)

Arsenal FC (ENG) 1 V 0 FC Porto (PRO) AET - (Agg 1-1) Arsenal FC (ENG) win on pens 4-2 

FC Barcelona (ESP) 3 V 1 SSC Napoli (ITA) - (Agg 4-2)

Borussia Dortmund (GER) 2 V 0 PSV Eindhoven (NED) - (Agg 3-1)

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 2 V 1 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) AET - (Agg 2-2) Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) win on pens 3-2

Quarter-Finalist

Arsenal FC (ENG), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP), FC Barcelona (ESP), FC Bayern München (GER), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), Manchester City FC (ENG), & Real Madrid CF (ESP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Lautaro had a **** Champions league. Still a way too go to establish himself as a big star on the big stage.

He's clearly a terrific striker - but really does seem to have a mental block on the big occasions. Reminds me a lot of his buddy and former strike-partner Lukaku. Both had horrendous world cups for their countries missing a tonne of big chances, both missed big penalties in European shootouts this season (Lukaku got lucky that Roma beat Feyenoord regardless), and neither stepped up in the CL final last year when it really mattered. Their respective records on the big occasions are really poor, even in their most barnstorming of seasons.

Basically both flat track bullies who will be great across a league season and score plenty of goals against fodder, but will go missing at the sharp end of things. There's still value in that, as long as you know what you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Felt the winner might come from the Atleti and pygmy Milan tie. Two teams with the best foundations to snuff out most other teams. Atleti have had little luck in the tournament to date and there could be a big push on there.

They're a team no one will want to play over two legs in a European game, and most of the top teams aren't setting the world alight. Most are ripe for the taking by a well drilled, hard working defensive team

• Advertisement
Advertisement