Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jesuisjuste

I take your general point on if there was any other DNA at the scene, that is why I include the caveats, in this case too we are talking specific evidence, facts:

"a reason for their DNA to be there". There are a load of people who this could apply to, investigating Gardai, also people who may have been close to Sophie's boot before she was killed or after, Bruno for example, (I'm not sure how old the boot was). It should be noted though that people were really afraid to touch Sophie after she was killed, we have evidence that most of guards did not touch her to even check for a pulse, but likewise if this is not the case then:

"they can verify that they have an iron-clad alibi": This becomes a much higher bar than a standard alibi once your DNA is on the scene, just having another person say you were with them is not enough imo, they could be in cahoots, and should then be investigated further, much like Bailey and Jules were. Iron-clad would be something like numerous unrelated people saw you at a location, and could verify your location, or perhaps there is video evidence etc. Put it this way, if it was Bailey's DNA he would have been locked up long ago, even if he had never put himself in the frame imo.

You mention about the cavity block, it is a similar story, however if DNA turned up from somebody who had never been "coming and going" in that area then it would be a major major finding. Therefore I believe it should be analysed and until it is established who it is, and why it is there, that person is top of my list tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

I'm so glad you took the time to read it. It so clearly indicates the point I have been trying and trying to make.

Just thinking about it a little further, 1. beyond Sophie actually potentially surviving and there being no murder at all, or 2. when she did die therefore also it would pin down critically the time of death therefore boxing in the time of the attack (at most 2-3 hours beforehand base on food), it would 3. have additionally given more indication of the type of attack/attacker. Looking back now, although extremely unlikely that it was a hit job as such, a hitman would almost definitely confirm death before he/she left, whereas a spontaneous murderer would probably not. This would have helped steer the investigation away from France in the early days and saved any energy spent upon it (not that I imagine there was much).

I think that both Daniel Toscan du Plantier (husband) and Bruno Carbonnet (ex-lover) were interviewed and eliminated at an early stage. Both having rock solid alibis.

I have no horse in this race but there is so much misinformation out there, misinformation that has now come to be accepted as fact, that as someone who spent their entire career as a forensic Investigator I feel duty bound to try and correct it. But it seems that many people are so entrenched in their views that they are not prepared to consider anything that contradicts these, even when backed up by contemporaneous evidence.

I also have no horse in this race, except for the justice for Sophie herself first and only. The only reasonable credibility I give, is to those who are like-minded. I believe you are also, and many others on here, including some who may appear to disagree with you. I appreciate all you have done to move this conversation forward.

Unfortunately though you are correct some people are just entrenched in their view, some people are just straight up contrarian about many things, but also others are actually opposed to finding justice, as it would affect them, or people they know, or a system or situation they are a part of. It is hard to tell sometimes which of them you are dealing with. To paraphrase "It is hard to convince somebody of something when their livelihood depends on them not believing and/or understanding it."

This is all not to say people should not be sceptical of any and all evidence, quite the contrary in fact, you should be able to stand up to this scrutiny, this makes the evidence stronger, you should take solace in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

That weekend alone, there was a fair bit of "coming and going" for such an isolated, out of the way place.

Before Sophie arrived on Friday evening Josie Hellen had been to her house to turn on the heating, light the fire and generally get the house ready for Sophie. I don't know about Alfie and Shirley on Friday, but I suspect Leo or Sally Bolger probably came to tend their horses, as they did most days.

Saturday, Finbarr Hellen says he and john came by early afternoon doing their farming business before walking to Toormore. They came back from their walk about 2:30. About the same time Sophie drove out to Schull to do some shopping. Sally Bolger came to tend to their horses in the afternoon. Sophie returned from Schull around 3:30. I don't know what Alfie and Shirley did on Saturday. No-one mentions meeting any of the others

Sunday, Around 2:o'clock Sophie drives to Three Castle head for a walk and visits the Ungerers. Leo Bolger comes to tend to their horses around 4 O'clock and visits Alfie. Sophie drives home via Sullivans in Crookhaven. The postman delivered post for Alfie to the box down at the gate. I don't know what Alfie and Shirley did on Sunday.

I might have missed others, but you get my drift, there would be a lot of fingermarks, bootprints and even DNA around. Add that to a haphazard crime scene, and we have what we have.

( All times approx. obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

All good points.

Since Bruno was mentioned. I never believed his alibi was tight. The signature could have been forged by anybody remotely resembling the size and age of Bruno. The telephone technician would not have remembered after having seen many clients that day. Even a fake ID shown to the telephone technician could have been part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Love the AH mode - we all need a laugh 😀

I guess the thing is, there were no photos of the scratches so really it yet another thing that can’t be definitively determined - I guess it’s the non-hiding for me that’s key - wandering around with marks that to an investigating guard, would ring huge alarm bells, is either totally innocent or totally reckless.

Logic would say you’d stay away from the public no less the guards if these marks were obtained from a struggle at the crime scene

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can check on whether someone is dead or alive without contaminating the scene. It is not remotely the same thing as driving a vehicle over the scene.

Police forces and medics manage it all the time. The police handbook has already been cited to you. In response you have provided exactly nothing to support your argument.

As for "armchair general", from someone who earlier today said they didn't care what the DPP report said?

So by your own standard, your own words, you're entirely self discredited yourself by being an "armchair lawyer".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

With respect, I have outlined the limited possibilities for the murderer to shed DNA at the crime scene. Its easy to summarize though. Forensically speaking no blood belonging to the murderer was ever found at the scene. So that rules out DNA sourced from blood and also means Bailey giving a blood sample was completely irrelevant to his guilt or innocence, a point in the DPPs report which has now become redundant.

There was no evidence of a frenzied struggle and therefore the murderer did not shed dna on the briers or under her fingernails.

Sweat? Late December? Needle in a haystick especially outside and forget it if a number of people walked over the scene.

Saliva. I doubt the killer was stupid enough to spit somewhere.

Semen? nope.

Hair - no hair folicles apart from Sophies have ever been found. Murderer either got lucky or was wearing a cap (or balaclava).

If Bailey's was the murderer and his hair folicles were found at the scene, we'd all be having a different conversation wouldn't we? Fact is no hair folicles of anyone was found, so Bailey potentially got lucky submitting them. Probably a calculated risk from his perspective.

But knowing Bailey he'd talk his way out of that one, deny everything. And the DPP would probably side with him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Logic would say you’d stay away from the public no less the guards if these marks were obtained from a struggle at the crime scene"

You wouldn't come barging into a shop all 6" 3 of you looking for yesterdays Times newspaper with 2 (obvious) coppers in the shop.

Early on it was probably provocation. Then it went all Pete Tong for Bailey.

That's reasonable, I mean the way I think of things is like a theoretical list of potential suspects, not owned by anyone, many of them can be unknown. Each has a statistical % on the likelihood of being the perpetrator. This list can grow and reduce until a conviction is carried out, and all appeals are exhausted, the justice system has done its work. Sometimes even then, innocent people are still convicted, the grim truth of justice. Far more guilty people get off, another grim truth.

People can and will fall to the bottom, and effectively off the list all the time, and therefore it will reduce to hopefully a small number of people. Bruno was certainly on that list if at least for little while. For me he is way down, perhaps not off it completely, but way down <1% imo.

Bailey is probably up there on a lot of people's list, but it is impossible for him to be 100%, nobody can know everything. For me the unknown DNA is up there, everyone has their own opinion. It is clear that many people on here are above 90% for Bailey, some people can't even concede reasonable doubt, which I would place at >99% probability, many people are below 10%, but likewise perhaps not 0%.

Its amazing how people forget the overkill nature of this murder. Its been commented on ad nausium. The murderer didn't just kill her, they went much further than that, killing her several times over if you know what I mean. Unfortunately there was no hope of Sophie surviving. While I don't believe the hitman theory myself I can somewhat see how people would go for it. As whoever killed her made very sure she was dead.

So no, checking for signs of life in this instance was pointless, maybe in other less violent cases though.

With all due respect @tobefrank321 , I'm not asking about any of what you posted, and to be honest I don't dispute it, in fact I already covered much in in my own post of how the DNA could have gotten there did you read it? I was asking for a response to the bolded text? It's a yes or no answer. I am ok with your answer being no, but in spite of all your follow ups you still have not answered 3 times now.

Do you believe that the unknown male owner of the DNA is a viable suspect?

I read the DPP report before. I re-read it today with a fresh perspective. I have only got to page 3 and found 3 glaring errors on those 3 pages. There are no doubt others. I don't view it as the Holy Grail that you seem to.

You'll have to tell us what DNA by anyone apart from Sophie was left at the scene as a starting point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I could see it was a shambles almost immediately

No better than what been posted about here

You did not find 3 glaring errors. You completely misinterpreted it by applying knowledge from years later to assessing its statements as false. The glaring error was the failure in your post to account for the passage of time and read it from the perspective and knowledge set of the participants at the time.

So over the course of today, you have tried to rubbish the DPP report and failed, highlighting only your own lack of understanding of the report in the process. And multiple posters have asked you to support your claims about police procedures, and you've provided exactly nothing, ignoring the police handbook information given to you.

But sure, other posters are "armchair generals" just not you.

The other poster also said it was their last point on it. I was prepared to leave it at that. Until they brought it up again today. Only fair I was allowed to respond, don't you think?

• Advertisement

Its a great mystery to me why the DNA on the boot was never properly analyzed. However, there is also nothing to link it to the crime unfortunately. When a DNA expert when to look at the boot, they found the evidence bag to have been opened. Not best practice really.

One of them depended on knowledge from years later. But the point stands, his point about Bailey sharing his blood to prove his innocence is completely redundant. You are the one constantly citing the DPP report as evidence of lack of evidence against Bailey or the inability to convict. So you must admit the blood sampling is completely redundant and has zero bearing on his guilt or innocence.

Its also a mystery why he ignored the statement where Bailey admitted meeting Sophie.

I'm 3 pages in and yes already 3 points that don't stand up to any scrutiny, albeit one that doesn't stand up to scrutiny today, and is redundant.

Only 41 more pages to go!

For what reason would it be a mystery that it has not been analysed?

I disagree, and so does the law, and common sense, there is something to link it to the scene, its presence on the victim. It is the most robust link that DNA can ever have to a murder case, and countless murders have been solved due to similar circumstances. Any and all innocent people who have interacted with Sophie or her evidence can be eliminated through due process.

Therefore I will ask again for the 4th time, for some reason you are now evading this question it seems, and I'm not sure why.

Do you believe that the unknown male owner of the DNA is a viable suspect?

You are making utterly false claims about the DPP report, and police procedures that are without foundation.

You just repeated the claim about "3 glaring errors" in the DPP report when you already knew at least one of them depended on knowledge from years later. And this has already been pointed out to you on the thread earlier today.

Why would I admit to any such canard from someone who by their own admission, is happy to make claims they know to be false about the DPP report?

Bailey shared blood and hair samples. In the circumstances of a brutal physical attack in the dark at close quarters, how could he know he left no DNA behind, no hair, no skin, or anything. A blood sample provided by him could be matched to DNA from skin or hair or saliva found at the scene.

It is exactly as the DPP report calls out:

If Bailey had murdered Sophie, he would have known that there was a definite possibility of forensic evidence such as blood, fibres, hair or skin tissue being discovered at the scene. His voluntary provision of fingerprints and a specimen of his blood is objectively indicative of innocence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But knowing Bailey he'd talk his way out of that one, deny everything. And the DPP would probably side with him!

At no point did the DPP take sides and that's a very disingenuous remark deliberately designed to undermine the office so you can feel good knowing that you believe Bailey to be guilty despite everything.

Twice, the DPP's office analysed the evidence put forwards by AGS with a view to prosecuting Bailey and both times the DPP found that the evidence was of such poor legal value, it was worthless.

The DPP did not perform these reviews to take sides with Bailey and you know that. The DPP performed these reviews because the investigative arm of the state did not do its job. Twice! For the DPP to have tried tonprosecute Bailey would have ended up with an acquittal and a lot of embarrassed looking senior gardai in Dublin & Cork!

It was the assumption of the DPP that the blood on the back door was the murderer's. This was a completely false and erroneous assumption. It was false when he wrote the report, it is false today. Therefore it was not objectively evidence of innocence. It was subjective evidence of innocence, the DPPs opinion, based on a completely false assumption.

You said earlier you read the post mortem report on Sophie, and believed there was a possibility she could have survived? Correct?

I see no such assumption in the DPP report.

And it does not matter that it is false today, that just demonstrates your complete misunderstanding of the report and completely invalidates your criticisms of the report. The report must be read in the context of the knowledge of the participants at the time the actions in the report happened.

• Advertisement

I answered that in my last point. I can't help you if it doesn't make sense to you. The DNA sample should be analysed. I've said that. It has never been made clear what the DNA is or was.

I was not in charge of DNA analysis. Independent experts were brought in and while they found it was a male sample, they could not come up with anything else.

Advertisement