Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The EU have said today that Israel is using starvation as a weapon against civilians. Surely that deserves sanctions.

The Israelis are going to move 1.4 million people into 'islands' within Gaza. Sounds suspiciously like the concentration of 'human animals' within camps. Where have we seen this sort of thing before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No they're not. Anyone who is calling for sanctions on Israel is simply expecting them to to be treated just as Russia are, just as China is sometimes. Libya, Iran, Saudia Arabia, Yemen, South Sudan, Venezuela, Cuba are just a handful of countries who are currently under various sanctions, political and economic. Many for far less reasons than for what would justify sanctions against Israel.

It's not an anti Jewish action. It's an action against a state engaged in war crimes. It's very simple.

Israel can be sanctioned while also not supporting any of those groups you mention. It's such a stupidd lazy stretch to claim that calling for sanctions makes you a supporter of terrorism. Go away out of that.

Stop trying to frame everything as some sort of antisemitism. It's all you ever try to do.

It seems as if the only people who can't separate Jews and Israel are those who accuse everyone of antisemitism.

Conveniently leaving out how Israel has both prior to it's inception. (Or supporters of Israel) Have commited acts of Terrorism in Palestine, and since. And since it's inception have illegally settled land they have zero rights to, displacings 1000s in the process so they can fly over a handful of wealthy Americans to live in a homeland that is in reality as much mine or yours than is theirs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

They were caught red handed razing fields of crops during the limited cease fire.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The biggest problem here jmreire is that in your view this was started by Hamas in 2005. Whereas anyone who wants to look into this even a little bit will soon find out that Israel were building illegal settlements in 1967.

Did you know that it was also 1967 that Israel effectively aparthied'ed TF out of the water supply there too? Image.

Making it illegal to harvest the water falling from the sky so you and your family can just live with some dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How come nobody is whinging about all the sanctions against Russia. Blatant discrimination against followers of the Russian Orthodox Church. Given that the population mainly follows that religion and almost 90% of its followers live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, Iamstop, I'm fully aware of what has been going on there prior to Oct7, and I'm neither trying to excuse it or deny it. I fully understand the principles of cause and effect. The point that I'm trying to make is that Oct7 is a watershed moment, it has changed everything. Bit like Sept 11th. Everything since 2005 has been leading up to this, and now everything is changed, utterly changed. That's my point, not to argue who did what to who, so far there's 33511 comments covering that. And nothing will ever be the same again I believe, and the backlash has just begun. And I believe that this outcome was Hamas's plan. For me, that's the sheer mechanics of it, and not assigning blame, excuses or approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will be interesting to see the Hamas reaction to this given how they shield themselves using innocent civilians. If they try to stop the people from leaving, that would truly be a genocide on their part. If they let the people leave, then they are trapped in an enclosed area and really at the mercy of indiscriminate bombing. The situation for them is truly bleak.

The only rational decision for Hamas is to release the hostages and work out a surrender deal. Unfortunately we're not dealing with rational people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think there is any doubt that hamas is interested in protecting its own people, they are thugs, or surrendering to the Israelis themselves or the hostages. I'm not sure why posters are pushing this narrative as a likely solution given what has happened so far.

Interesting that you acknowledge that if Hamas don't let the people in Rafah leave that they may be a genocide. Usually Israeli supporters tend to shy away from that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah yes. more IDF gaslighting. I find it amazing how many gullible people are so willing to gobble it up.

Reminds me of the one a few months back when they helpfully suggested that a million or so refugees could move to something like a 1km x 1km stretch of wilderness waste ground ...... and then bombed it anyway.

Battered wife syndrome. Just explain to them why it's actually their fault that you are beating and killing them. Or even better still, convince yourself why they deserve it.

A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them. It would expose the lie that the Israelis are only committing their genocide to get them back. And if the Israelis were actually being truthful (if such a thing were hypothetically possible) then it removes their claimed motivation for the ongoing genocide.

• Advertisement

Civilians aren't supposed to be used as human shields, it's a war crime and forbidden according to the Geneva Convention. If Hamas attempt to prevent civilians from evacuating to a safe zone, then they are a party to genocide.

A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them.

The mask slips.

"I don't support Hamas, but I am for them killing innocent hostages".

Party to a genocide perpetrated by the Israelis then? I think the West should work to prevent the deaths then.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

You keep repeating this over and over and over, playing this as the poor Israel card as if what has happened over the course of its existence was not inevitable. So let me try again as you completely ignored my last post on this.

It was the Zionists choice to try and set up a state in lands already occupied. They knew the consequences they would face, and just in case there was any doubt, the Crane-King commission of 1920 laid it out in plain writing, it was a bad idea that would lead to bloodshed and they would be better of looking for somewhere else to settle. The Zionists were always fully aware that the creation of any state would be soaked in bloodshed, but they were willing to pay that price. Foolishly the British backed them in their project, then realised belatedly it was going to be a disaster as predicted, passed the buck to the UN who solidified an already bad situation with their partition plan. It was inevitable that Israel would be attacked as the British and subsequently UN completely ignored the wishes ot the majority of the population. You make your bed and you lie in it, the Zionists always knew the risks so they can hardly play the poor little victim now.

Post edited by Fr D Maugire on

If Israel makes an attempt to move enemy non combatant's to a safe area where humanitarian aid is made available but it's Hamas who prevents that, then it's Hamas who are responsible for any war crimes.

You said it would make hamas a party to genocide. That suggests there is another party ie. Israel. At least you admit it will be genocide I suppose. Hopefully you don't support it when it happens then.

You're right. Israel has stopped being rational around October 9th or 10th. No dealing with them.

Hamas are using tunnels is it? No it's human shields? No they're using ambulances? Nope, aid convoys.

Thrust of the matter is, Israel hasn't a clue at this stage. They've already shown they will kill indiscriminately whether Hamas are present or not.

Israel has moved them many times and bombed them. That's got nothing to do with Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,759 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel is committing war crimes since Oct 7th. They are no better than Hamas, make no mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's a war crime to bomb civilians that are being used as human shields. So there's two options here.

If Hamas are using civilians as human shields then Israel is committing war crimes every-time they try to bomb Hamas.

If Hamas aren't using civilians as human shields, then Israel is just bombing civilians which is a war crime.

So, are Israel committing war crimes or are Israel committing war crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them. It would expose the lie that the Israelis are only committing their genocide to get them back."

Rational?

What dictionary are you using for that definition? Would you advocate for them to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

True, Donald said it. Nice slipperiness though. I suggest you let him answer the question put to him.

Its not entirely clear what the pro israeli argument is regarding the hostages. If they are returned should Israel be forced to stop killing civilians in the tens of thousands, or is this still okay to continue? If in that scenario they are also waiting on Hamas to surrender then they may be supporting the killing of civilians for god knows when.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

Are you seriously comparing Israel to Russia? Let's see how that stacks up. Russia has spent all of history attacking it's neighbours. Israel has spent all of its history being attacked by its neighbours. Israel comprises less than 1% of the MENA region. Russia consists of 1/3 of Europe and all of North Asia. Last I checked, neither Ukraine nor any of the other countries Russia attacked had ever had a policy of destroying Russia and killing all Russian people. And there are concessions Russia can make for guaranteed peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Surely Hamas got the reaction they wanted. They can get international sympathy for Palestine. While their own provocation to spark this with handgliders, bulldozers, kidnapping, and firing thousands of rockets is forgotten. As images of dying children take it’s place. Israel’s reaction can be painted as disproportionate. But what would have been proportionate? Wagging a finger at Hamas?

I wonder do Hamas consider it a success as they hide among civilians using them as PR points?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Israel was created as a state by attacking its neighbours and over the years has sometimes attacked its neighbours to initiate wars, just like Russia. Russia has been invaded a number of times so has not always been attacking its neighbours.

I dont think Israel is like Russia but your reading of israels history is very one-sided. I hate to read what your reading of the USA's history is

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Palestine is home to most Palestinians and they have been attacked constantly by Israel. What of it?

“Jews Jews Jews” like that is some magic incantation that means Israel can do no wrong and are eternal victims.

That and their opinion TM seemed to have even memory-holed the several Israel-Gaza ears since 2005 and before Oct 7. Or the rapes of Palestinian children. Or the murders. Or the settlements between then and there. Or the other myriad deliberate provocations - and suitcases full of money.

• Advertisement

Say that again but for the illegal settlements on Palestinian land. Or for Israeli military facilities in residential areas.

Advertisement