Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many middle aged Irishmen have let themselves go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

We need pictures. We need to see you hunky dandy fella.

Hell super granny cougar deserves to see how hot you are.

I do however suspect you are marty morrissey. He/you dress like you posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a pity Aongus Von Bismarck appears to be too busy at the cutting edge of the financial world to post, he could educate all the angry middle-aged men about how to impress us ladies.

He can cook to Michelin Star level, has an impressive grooming regime and is quite the sharp dresser. According to the good man himself, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Cargo pants are terrible. Forgivable on the younger man, but over forty it’s just trying too hard 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

You think cheap ill fitting jeans are an improvement for people over 40? Out of interest what do you wear?

• Advertisement

I didn’t day cheap ill fitting jeans. Proper jeans. Or chinos. It just looks a bit like your trying to hang on to your youth - especially when paired with band tees.

I rarely wear trousers - 90% of the time it’s a dress or skirt.

I don’t, the closest I have to my own kid is a very demanding Jack Russell terrier. However, I know plenty of hard working middle aged people with kids who still dress smartly so I don’t think it’s a valid enough excuse to let oneself go to wrack and ruin if you can help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

This isn't to do with nationality or gender. Lots of people who reach middle age start putting on a little extra weight or stop caring as much about how they look, and that's fine if they're fine with it.

I do think Irish people can be less bothered about how they look or how other people in general though. My boyfriend is an American in his early 40s and in really good shape, but recently said to me he didn't want to start slacking off working out in case he ended up like the men who get pot bellies once they hit 40. Here's the thing about that though, I can appreciate that he's fit and hot as fcuk, but I have exes who've had extra weight and it didn't bother me at all and nor did I think they "let themselves go". Once someone is healthy and confident in themselves then that's all that matters.

On the fashion aspect, that's another thing, he used to feel like he was looking like a homeless person if he went outdoors in jogging pants anywhere except to work out/exercise. I love my jogging pants (and his arse in jogging pants!) and he's since relaxed a bit on that since meeting me and being in Ireland quite often. But when he's over in Ireland (he lives in Sweden), he's always commenting about the people going about in tracksuits 24/7 here as it's just not common over there and it would be pointed out. You should have seen his face when he saw someone in PJs in tesco🤣

I love band tees on guys, especially when I can "borrow" them.😂

I will allow them with jeans. Not with cargo pants :) Nor worn to a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Show yourself Marty.....sorry Sgt Hartman! We need to see your style, we know you have the moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Op is this you?

I definitely don’t do band tees although in defence of cargo pants I think they can look good on anyone, especially if they have strong legs. A guy I worked with in his 60’s used to wear them every day for comfort and practicality mainly but I thought they suited him. He was a strong looking guy who ran regularly. You say you wear chinos though which I do like. I don’t think I’m so much trying to hang onto my youth as I am just not willing to go down the road of dull stereotypical middle aged wear just yet. I know people a good bit older than me who are the same and who would dress even smarter than I would.

I'm fine with them worn to a restaurant, nice with a blazer. I'm grand with cargo pants too. I have my own, albeit being more of a skirts/dresses fan, so I'd be a bit hypocritical not to be ;)

I don't see it as trying to hang on to your youth at all! You should wear what you like and whatever feels like "you". Not a thing wrong with cargo pants or band tees at any age, as long as they fit well and you're not bursting out of them.

Funnily enough I don’t mind them on women 🤣 They don’t suit me though.

Irish people aren’t known for their style. But because we have a great sense of humour, creativity etc and pretty much everyone loves us - who cares 🤷🏻‍♀️

But I do like a man who dresses well. Zero tolerance on the tracksuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

He's not, he's looking at the space where there is a complete lack of an arse....get it right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have a book about him on Shakatons ? Antarctic expeditions . Big rough Kerry man who would have made a great Fullback in Football

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Alexus25

Yeah I think women work hard to stay youthful and at their peak where lads - its a total different story, if only i were bi/lesbian etc. Finding a hot guy in Ireland leads me to getting so excited because they're such a rarity, it's like finding a leprechaun across a pot of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The OP is concerned with how others are looking because it's a normal feasible standard he holds himself up to and finds it bewildering others can't just do something as simple as looking after themselves.

And he's right. It is shocking, and it is annoying people clap back and say never mind them. Why not though? a standard is being let go, a very good standard being self-pride in appearance. What never mind people getting fatter? never mind people turning up to Christenings in Lpool jerseys?

Self-pride in appearance has numerous positive effects. Exercise, which literally translates positively into every other aspect of your life. A healthy weight, we all know the health benefits of that, namely not dying early.

Clothes are divisive, but dressing for what works for you aesthetically and actual individual attention to what works for your body cut/fit wise and not slapping any brand on you like you're a walking billboard will do wonders.

I don't care for all this live and let live. I don't want Ireland to be steeped in a myriad of health problems and everyone looking unhealthy, unhappy and miserable. What is wrong with an expected standard in appearance? nothing. It builds positive expectations individually and that is great collectively.

Advertisement