Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How far does an EV really go? On a cold horrible day in winter - several current EVs tested

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only person who shouldn't be on the motorway is the driver who can't handle other traffic travelling at 100km/h. HGV's are regular users of motorways and have a limit of 90km/h, buses are limited to 100km/h.

I usually drive with cruise at the limit, I pass plenty of cars going sub 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And that's fine so long as they aren't holding up or blocking other vehicles - however this happens regularly.

I often find myself behind a queue of cars with the top one doing 100 or less with nothing ahead or to the left of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This will probably trigger the cultists but there's a big difference between recharging a Tesla at a supercharger, and charging literally any other car or charging at any other location. Once there isnt a queue, charging a tesla at a supercharger is painless and cheaper than others. It removes the hours of waiting, and the will it/wont it work, because it just does.

Agree 110% with your motorway perspective, I've a couple of weekly round trips of 250km each, 80-90% motorway, cruise set to 128-135 depending on traffic levels, and there's invariably one fool in the overtaking lane doing 100.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Motorway driving is shocking in this country, it's all down to a lack of enforcement. My particular bug bears are the person who moves into the outside lane and slows whilst overtaking then speeds up again when they move back to the inside lane. Or the person who acts like a yo-yo whilst I'm maintaining a steady speed on cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement

Yep, or the ones who will come flying up the outside lane and then slow down to sit on your back bumper for whatever reason (maybe it's because my A7 is rare-ish and looks cool when washed 😂) meaning that when you then need to overtake something in front of you, you have this other idiot to contend with as you move out.

I know we're wildly O/T (apologies) but how good is that really? Can it be trusted on your average motorway where people suddenly slow down for no reason a lot of the time?

What about when someone cuts into a gap that's too small in order to get a car length ahead?

The majority of them will be in ICE cars.

Lane hogging is nothing to do with EVs.

You also get considerable fuel saving on ICE driving slower with negligible difference in journey time.

While I like travelling at near or on the speed limit, in ICE or EV not everyone does. People are allowed to travel at different speeds once they obey the rules.

As said earlier if you want the least stops on long journeys buy a diesel with a large tank. It's better than petrol and EVs for that.

In my experience yes, I've not had any issues with ACC systems since our 2017 Ioniq. The systems work well enough and I can generally spot a person who's going to act the maggot and attempt a dangerous cut in.

Same.. the giveaway is the drift to the line while they think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To give an example.

I Drove home to Aughnacloy in NI last week. Left house at 98% charge.

Drove at the speed limit plus VAT.

I over took anything that was below the limit and indeed there were others that overtook me too.

336km back to the door with 8% left so used 90%.

I done that in a 2020 Model 3 Performance so while it’s an extremely agile and fast car, it would be relatively inefficient compare to most EV’s and older.

The newer stuff is even more efficient.

That's good info.

I suppose though the other problem I have with EVs is I just don't like the look of most of them (they always remind me of the "2015" cars in Back to the Future 2 - but without the flight mode!). The little fella loves Teslas but I'm not a fan (sorry! 🙂)

The Audi e-tron GT is probably the closest to my current A7 but that's crazy money!

That's just cosmetic/personal preference though!

I'm my limited experience its a good as I am maybe even better, more cautious. There's always a manual override if you are indeed better than a computer and radar.

Also really handy in slow creeping traffic.

There's always some moron who cuts in last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The "no reason" is usually somebody in the overtaking lane right up to their exit and then trying to cut across a lane of traffic to get to said exit. Cue brakes, slowing down to the speed necessary to get to the exit without going past it and the inevitable concertina effect on the rest of us. Particularly bad on the M50. I once saw somebody in an Audi A4 take this to the limit and hit the off ramp (hit being the operative word) so hard they blew out both near side tyres.

But we're not the only country with bad motorway habits. France and Spain are notorious for poor overtaking habits. They almost always drive right up to the vehicle that they need to pass to maintain their speed, slow down to that vehicle's speed (usually a truck doing 80), indicate and pull out to overtake and then slowly accelerate to motorway speed again. Cue concertina effect which on some occasions that I've experienced lead to an entirely stationary motorway.

That happens regularly in my experience. Cars will dawdle down the on-ramp and then just pull out in front of whatever is in the left lane when they get to the end, even though they're only at 80 km/h themselves.

In cases like that I tend to hang back as much as I can until I can overtake both them and the vehicle in the left lane smoothly. Otherwise you end up stuck behind them on the ramp and wedged between them and the other vehicle.

I once saw a woman in a small hatchback pull onto the N7 at Citywest (that stupidly bad laneway-type merge outbound) from a standstill directly into the path of a truck. Good thing he was able to brake before pancaking the stupid wagon (and her car!)

Time to buy a hummer

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It can be trusted in a Tesla. It is already proven safer than a human. And that is with a 5 year old software stack. Things have immensely progressed in the USA, but we can't get that software here yet, possibly not until the end of this year, beginning of next year

Be careful not to use that example as a general rule. It would only apply to very aerodynamic cars, which rules out most of the ones in the above list. The likes of the Mercedes EQS (not in this test) or any Tesla all have excellent Cd values, typically not much above 0.20, which is the main reason they are so efficient at motorway speeds (thus giving such a long range)

Can’t help there. Best to stick to what you have in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

No, its the 2022 RW standard range M3. As I said I did it once last summer without charging during the complete return journey and it arrived with less than 5%! I wouldn't make a habit of it. Door to door return for that trip is just over 400km so not too surprising for M3 rwd. I take a slightly longer route usually on the return leg so I can top up at Enfield. I don't even have to think about it anymore regardless of the temperature/weather on any given trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CivilEx

To take your question at face value - are EV's capable of longer journeys, driving at 120km/h sustainably on the motorway?

I'll use two examples from my own life where I drove from Mayo to Limerick and back earlier this week (Ioniq 6). This is a round trip of 325km and approx. 200km of that is motorway (Tuam to Shannon). I set the cruise control at 100km/hr. on National Primaries and 120km/hr. on the Motorway, started out at 100% and got home again with 28% in the battery. No dawdling, turning down the heat or driving patterns that would be considered "unusual" in a conventional petrol or diesel.

Mayo to Blanchardstown is 228km for me (120km of that is motorway) and when I did the trip two weeks ago, I arrived with 52% in the battery, which means (in theory anyway) that I could turn around, drive home and arrive with 4% in the battery. I'm not that brave though and topped up on the way home......Actual performance vs marketing - well I'm seeing a range of up to 470km at the moment, possibly stretching to 525km in the summer but certainly not the advertised WLTP of 614km.

To answer your question, can I do Dublin - Cork (assume 250km each way) plus driving around the city, which I'll assume is a total of 520km, then the answer is no, most EV's cannot do this without stopping for a quick charge. If you don't think you can manage 15 minute stop somewhere along the route, then an EV isn't suitable for you for the moment.

I recommend you stick with the 3.0TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭byrne249

Probably came across that way. It's just funny seeing a comment that has taken an individual decision to drive a certain way and decides to paint them all with the same brush. If you don't want an EV. Don't get one. If you really want to do the 120km/hr you get the slightly larger battery of the same car the OP was talking about, voila, solutions abound.

A few cent? I do (edit: worked it out, 15kwh/100km @0.077e/Kwh) for every euro I spend on fuel. The difference between the ICE octavia and the Born I bought was 7.5k. I will have saved at least 2k on fuel in my first year driving. I was a skeptic before I bought one as well tbf, and I realise now quite how out of touch I was on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think it's a bit unfair to call the WLTP measure a marketing ploy. If you were told by a European agency that your car had a particular range then why wouldn't you roll with it?

I agree the WLTP figure isn't an accurate one but it's the figure they have to use

It would be much better if they had a figure of range at 120km/h GPS speed in perfect circumstances. You can easily and cheaply do this on an indoor rolling road. It's the only range that is relevant for most people and it gives a perfect comparison between cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭eagerv

Fair enough except for the indoor rolling road, wouldn't give an accurate comparison for aerodynamic cars.

My mad, I didn't think that through 😂 indoors is fine in principle, but not on a rolling road! You'd need a very large indoor setup for it though, so I guess outdoors will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just to be safe why not calculate it from the energy consumed going 130km/h on the German autobhan in the middle of winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

What about this:

As wltp "combined" is useless for ev how about they issue 3 specific speeds but show together like below examples

First number is kph and second distance kms

(note pure example with figures plucked from my A$$)

Model Y RWD = 50.455/80.400/120.320

Model 3 RWD = 50.513/80.450/120.400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

130kmph range test should be mandatory- a 120kmph test in a lab environment assumes zero headwind which is never the case. A 20kmph wind is almost the same as adding 20kmph to your driving speed

Advertisement