Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Both sides drones have. Saw a video of a Russian drone earlier. Seemed it was watching Russian armor but it could highlight all the vehicles and break them down into tanks, APCS etc. Said could be AI in the drone so could make out targets faster and relay information back faster and would know what to attack 1st if there was a lot of vehicles it saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Looks like the Russians are going to get a second taste of a

French putdown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hitler's Russia. VICE on russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Fantastic in-depth analysis.

I only wonder how did you come to conclusion that if Medvedev say something it is them trying to break relations or that they are suddenly looking for complete escalation with the west. Mainly since Putin was called every name under the sun for, well, at least the last 10 years. #

I would rather call it tit-for-tat albeit very slow from Russian side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This war changed tactics rather drastically. Tank even ships are looking more and more obsolete.

Warfare is turning to gamers feast with very final real life consequences. There is no possibility of save and reload, but very real Game over scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Democracy is for Anglo-Saxons and other losers, and it's not needed when you "vote" for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its clear that the US thought Russia had fallen into a trap so had no interest in negotiating, the US thought they could destabilize Russia, which clearly hasnt happened hence calling it a proxy war. Now Russia has no interest in negotiating until maybe the after the US elections, Im guessing the Russians will demand that Ukraine stays neutral

Sacks was spot on pointing out the BS we were fed and probably lapped up here so it did its its job lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oh come on, that's Youtube comments level, do better. I come here for the well argued inciteful analysis ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

I think Medvedev is in a bit of a difficult situation being a former president,I would say he is terrified putin might see him as potential replacement or that the west or the people of Russia might see him that way, If there was any hint that people started looking at him that way he would end up falling out a window.

Hence the over the top statements about nuking everybody, kind of "look,look, Mr putin, I am on you side, down with the west,boo"

If he was just quite in the background,paranoid putin might think he was plotting and planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"the US thought they could destabilize Russia,"

putin recently had to murder the leader of their largest mercenary group for threatening to attack moskow and there has been an even more recent attack on russian federation land by russians. How is that not destabilized?

Ukraine is the country invaded by putin, not the USA, and they know treaties with putin will not be respected. I suspect supplies of arms from the USA slowing has nothing to do with Ukraine and is likely to be a strategy to force the EU into more arms investment which hopefully will backfire for the USA when their arms industry sees a decline in arms sales due to expanded arms production in Ukraine and in other EU countries. I think Ukraine will be OK with staying neutral once putin's terrorists go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's pretty hard to "Stay neutral" in a conflict when you're being invaded.

And btw, Ukraine was neutral before the invasion. They were not in any alliance. And NATO had said repeatedly that they would not allow Ukraine to join. Putin had demanded that NATO not allow Ukraine to even attempt to apply to which NATO said they couldn't stop anyone applying but they could refuse them entry. And one final thing, Putin knew all this. NATO will only allow people to join if they have territorial integrity. Since the east of the country and Crimea was in the control of separatists/Russians, Ukraine didn't even pass the basic criteria for joining Nato.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope. That isnt merely not clear it is false. That is assertion without evidence. We have seen the results of Russian negotiation ... they break any agreement when it suits them as they have done repeatedly with Ukraine, Moldova, Chechnya.

Ukraine was invaded by Russia, Sacks labelling that a US proxy war is a lie. A deliberate attempt to deceive

So just utter garbage without evidence from Sacks and he is the one feeding you BS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Actually, I've often held up my hand when I got things wrong and have no problem admitting when I make mistakes. It happens.

I admit I have made some excessive swipes at certain posters but that's because for a long time here posting any kind of realistic assessment of what was going on led to being labelled "pro Russian", a secret employee of the Russian embassy etc etc by these posters, which got really frustrating and made any kind of proper discussion impossible. Most of them thankfully are now banned. With people who communicate respectfully with me I will always communicate in kind and admit to mistakes when called out.

Anyhow, back to the thread topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

lol. reading Mein Kampf (russkiy version) much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it surprising though?

Russia might have the patina of looking a bit Western with its white faces and Petersburg palaces, but it has remained a totally separate animal since the start of the 20th century, lagging behind actual Western nations in terms of suffrage and a half dozen other social changes we went through. "Democracy" simply doesn't exist as we know it over there and the mindset doesn't follow; good governance means a strong bully-leader at the top, the rest of us mere serfs.

This is normal stuff for Medvedev; he constanly comes out with this lunatic stuff so TBH he's just a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

NATO was always only an excuse. After Maiden, when Putin no longer controlled Ukraine, he invaded. first Crimea, then Ukraine. And now after Ardviika, he feels emboldened to state that his plan is (as before) to take all of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

he will loose. There has not been a singled war that rotten failed state have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Exodus of Russians from inside Russia to Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For "negotiate" with Russia, read "surrender". And if Russia doesn't get what it wants this time, it will just come back again for it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Spot on @odyssey06

For those who think the only way to finish this war is for Ukraine to sit down and negotiate with Russia and / or be forced to do so:

In Russia, former PM and President and current Deputy Chairman of the Security Council, Dmitri Medevedev published Russian demands to Ukraine. See translation below:

They can be summed up as liquidation of Ukrainian statehood and annexation of Ukraine by Russia.

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1768222550067143057

Tver is about 100kms north of Moscow. WHAT were they using in this building, unusual fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭victor8600

What I don't understand is how the surrender advocates think it will play out after the supposed Ukraine's surrender to Russia. Ok, they would probably say, sure, a bit of genocide by the Russians is expected, and nobody outside Europe would mind millions of refugees trying to flee the systematic persecution that Putin's regime will unleash on Ukraine. And if after that Putin takes over Moldova, so what, who care about few thousand of deaths in an impoverished country in the middle of nowhere, right? And after that Baltic states are overrun, that's fine too, yes? Just another European matter far away.

But don't they see that if the USA is seen as weak and untrustworthy by its allies, the whole world will be affected, the USA included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Paddigol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What I don't understand is how the surrender advocates think it will play out after the supposed Ukraine's surrender to Russia

Let me explain, it's quite simple: they don't care. Ultimately, it's nothing to them who wins. It's just some country on the árse end of a part of Europe they already possessed minimal knowledge of before the war started; they all sound about the same to their ears, and in all likelihood are old enough to remember when anything East of Berlin was just one big red blob marked "USSR". Maybe it is just Russia, really? (see the "russian speakers" fallacy beloved of those justifying the invasion) The quiet-part-loud is - and I admit this is me making a bold & confrontational swing - a flippant disregard whereby Moscow swallowing Ukraine is simply reverting back to previous normalcy. One tinpot for another.

Then you can mix that in with hostility projected from an anti-migrant bias; as seen with one particular example of that broken record, so if you're already a bit leery about those dirty slavs hanging around our unused hotels, better the war be over tomorrow so we can turf them all out. Least back in the USSR days, Pawel wasn't over here taking our jobs etc. etc.

Sure, it's very difficult to see how Ukraine "win" this in any conventional sense, the Ukrainian flag hoisted over Crima unlikely to happen any time soon, but there's a huge distance between a fatalistic appreciation of the war - and outright shrugging one's shoulders that Ukraine surrender even more territory. Cos we'll be right back here again when Putin comes looking for the other 80% of the country left sitting in a post-war limbo. You could be damn sure any surrender treaty forced by Moscow would leave Kyiv powerless, without an economy or military, and be a carcass for picking a few years hence.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Good read ..

A story on the atmosphere in Crimea 10 years after annexation and two years into the full-scale war: nervousness, terror, denunciations, some quiet resistance and also a a fair bit of indifference.

• Advertisement

Prepping for the possible?

I am braising myself for WHEN Putin wins his sham election this Sunday, patricks day. Why am i braising myself - i reckon he is going to use the occasion to announce something new and big now that he has a new 6 year mandate. Special Operation upgrade to all out war declaration against Ukraine perhaps. And / Or he may have something new happen more expansive happen on the battlefield. I dont think this event on Sunday will go by without a "Surprise"

However Bloomberg and Reuters say different it seems. All that may happen is a reshuffle

However, no significant changes in domestic and foreign policy are expected, and there are no signs that any plans for a successor for Putin himself are on the horizon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement