Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I wonder if it was edited I don't recall "league" being called out in the comment before I went to reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No I'd actually said league twice so edited that out. Klopp has treated the League and FA Cup as joke competitions since he moved to Liverpool.

I'm not sure why it's relevant you had to Google Kambwala either. As I said he's played in more meaningful games than whoever those players you named are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think they're particularly being treated like that at all tbh... it was the cup final that drew all the attention onto them, which was then solidified by the Southampton game a few days later. The fact those were knockout cup games - and particularly a final - where falling back on kids should've probably seen them lose in extra time, followed up by the kids scoring 3 in the FA Cup. It's volume (6 of them) in a short space of time that's made it an interesting story.

I mean, since 4 of the 6 came into peoples consciousness there's literally only been 2 league games...

(Though both Quansah and Bradley have had to play a lot more league minutes than Kambwala)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's a difference between reliable and numbers. I never said he had more minutes than Bradley.

Players coming on for extra time in the Carabao cup and playing against championship opposition in the FA Cup, again, competitions Klopp has played joke teams in over his time at the club is not that big an achievement.

6 kids did notably well in big very recent cup games, and got some credit for it. Why be so seemingly annoyed by that? it's obviously noteworthy, so will obviously get coverage. Literally nobody is reporting that they're now lynchpins or something (though Bradley and Quansah aren't far off becoming that over the next year or two given their performances this season)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't really understand the need to try to belittle their recent appearances in such a way,.

As mentioned, only 1 poster is calling them prodigies - no idea why.

They were asked to step up and they did exactly that, in spades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Funny we've won an FA Cup, 2 league cups and been to another league cup final since Klopp arrived.

That's essentially a final or trophy in one of the comps every 2 seasons on average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Because we've only played joke teams apparently.

Me not having heard of that guy helps your argument you know.

The point about the League Cup final (and FA Cup game v Southampton) was that there were literally no other players fit for the bench so who else should he have turned to?

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Thiago, Szobozlai, Núñez, Salah, Doak, Jota, Jones, Bajčetic all injured and then Gravenberch injured halfway through the first half

This wasn't him treating it like a joke, who else was there but the kids?

A League Cup Final is meaningful. Those guys have winners medals

As Lee Clark said he tried his whole career to win a trophy like that and his son goes and does it at his first try 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Jayden Danns turned 18 in January. Since then, he's made his first team league debut at Liverpool, played a meaningful contribution in a cup final at Wembley while picking up a winners medal, played another league game, scored 2 goals in another cup game. Then got concussion and couldn't play a further part in more games on that run.

Does it matter if he has played less mins than someone else or not, if he has made a greater contribution to the team? I couldn't tell you one thing that Kwambala has done tbh.

Oscar Bobb scored a last minute winner for Man City against Newcastle. That's a greater impact than a few players that have played more minutes for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Perhaps the point that @Liam O was trying to make without actually stating it is that this is the "General Premier League" thread and not "Liverpool FC Team Talk". I can only imagine that for non Liverpool fans it is annoying to see a group of Liverpool fans coming into this thread and discussing the exploits of the young players coming through at the club playing in competitions that aren't the Premier League.

On the subject of teenagers playing for sustained periods at elite level competition like the Premier League, it doesn't always serve them well in the long term. Liverpool fans only need to look back at the later careers of Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen to see the long term effect of not properly managing the minutes of young players.

That's fair, we should only discuss Premier League here, I apologise for my part in any derail

3 weeks between PL games at this time of the season is unusual so mind wanders to the other comps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That also goes toward explaining it so.

Very impressive set up going now.

Just on the topic of PL academies, I really liked this documentary on Crystal Palace a couple years ago. It gave a good insight to the many different elements of a young lads life that they have to take into consideration, and develop.

Mod Note

The 'Thanks Button' should now be working - feel free to test it out on this post 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Luton 3 up and cruising against Bournemouth.

Edit: Bournemouth just scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

3-3 now. Wow. What a calamity from Luton

Yep crazy. If they had held on they would have been a point behind Everton and two behind Brentford.

Luton now with more PL goals this season than Man United 👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

3 all and I thought Luton were cruising. I hope they stay up. I was just thinking the combined stadium capacity between these 2 clubs must be just over 20000. Mad isn't it.

4-3. Disaster for Luton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ya and Forest to come at home at the weekend too. Shame for them

4-3 now, seemed inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Didn't think I'd be turning away from Champions League to watch Bournemouth v Luton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mid-week update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Why are the weekend games all off for’ fixture clashes ‘ ?

It's FA Cup Quarter Finals weekend, so any PL games that feature one of the sides still in the FA Cup are postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Weird coincidence of the day goes to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They should humbly ask the Premier League to be the 21st team next year based on this.

If they keep scoring goals, they might not need to ask and they'll be in it next year because of their league position this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Said it before and I'll say it again, Luton are very reminiscent of Blackpool that season they played in the league. They gave everybody a game, scored lots of goals and were a great watch for the neutral. Just hope it doesn't end up the same way, they bring a lot more to the league than any of the clubs around them.

It's still possible that the 3 teams who came up go back down again (they are 18th, 19th and 20th in the table) and the 3 teams who went down last year come up again (they are 1st, 2nd and 4th in the Championship)

Presume this has never happened before?

West Ham doing their colour-match Birmingham buddies (and Spurs) a big favour here so far, 2-1 up now on aggregate. Knock Freiburg out here and the Premier League will really be in the driving seat for that 5th CL spot.

Premier League 3-1 up now over the Bundesliga.

Looks like now that all those attackers are back and match fit again, West Ham are coming back into form. 7 points from the last 9 available in the league, scoring a lot of goals, and looking good to progress in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That result will damage Luton's confidence terribly and could be the death knell for their season. It was really poor - to lead 3-0 and then concede four against Bournemouth. An indictment of the manager ? Maybe. Shouldn't happen.

Gary O'Neil really should be a leader in the manager of the year awards. Sure hes not winning the title but its actually been insane what he has done.

Took charge 4 days before the season starts after Lopetegui gave up after getting fùck all business done to improve Wolves all summer. O'Neil has already matched last years point total with 10 league games left and has hauled them from relegation candidates up to contending for a European place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's amazing what an actual coach can do when they actually coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I think you jinxed him today after praising him so much!!

• Advertisement

Just saw Spurs are 3 down to Fulham. Are they going to Spursey up CL qualification and let United back in?

6 points between them, 7 in essence with the goal difference.

Spurs are well capable of blowing that -- but I doubt Unnited will get the necessary wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I have seen a fair bit of Fulham this season and I think a result like this was coming. Playing well above their perceived level most of the time.

I know Marco Silva had some poor enough times at previous clubs, but you clearly learn from that, and I’d now rate him ahead of the likes of De Zerbi, Potter, Southgate.

Do Spurs play United again is my question? United beats them and it's game on.

Edit: just checked and they don't play eachother again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

They are a Jekyll and Hyde sort of team, capable of producing brilliant displays against the leading teams but equally capable of producing awful performances against the lesser lights. I don't think Silva is a realistic contender for any of the top club jobs in England that might become available in the future. It's more likely he might move to Spain or back to Portugal. I think his temperament is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Agree that he has that perception, but at a big club I don’t think his temprement would by much different than Pep, Arteta, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Utd won't be consistent enough to overturn 7 points in 10 games unfortunately.

Spurs can slip up 3/4 times in those 10 games I'd say and still probably make it as Utd won't be close to 100% in the run in.

The loss at home to Fulham the other week probably put it beyond us. Followed up with a loss to City.

I had thought that they had to play each other again before the end of the season but got that wrong. If they did and United had a big win then that would have made things very interesting.

On the back of this voodoo curse I accidentally put on O'Neil, I'll now take a chance and say today that Klopp also deserves to be a leader in the manager of the year awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know this is kinda based on my viewing of the FA Cup but Sterling is surely done as a top level player? Taking the ball from Palmer and missing his 5th penalty from his last 7 attempts, missing the entire goal when straight through and having plenty of time….so greedy and selfish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement