Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

The reward for **** up monumentally at home cannot be a cushy well paid job in Europe. This can't be stressed enough. Who is to say that this is not the end goal for some politicians, sell your own down the river so you can get a better job.

Also them may well be able to do untold further damage from there. They should never be able to live off the public purse again imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

He really is an utter b****cks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Which "cushy well paid job in Europe" exactly are our pols supposed to be looking to? Ireland's European commissionership will be available to be Micheal Martin in the summer if he wants but he doesn't seem interested, doesn't seem to rate it higher than another potential term/half-term as taoiseach....Are there bigger Euro jobs than that that a former taoiseach/tanaiste might realistically aspire to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He is lashing out because the referendums didn't get passed and he has been made look a idiot again. He did this previously after the general election when his party finished third, he was throwing his toys out of his pram until Michael came begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

St Patrick was a refugee?

Conceivably.

However Nigerians and Pakistanis are NOT refugees.

Not necessarily bad people but primarily interested in bettering their lives and should not be allowed off the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

problem is professional politicians don't have any core beliefs (apart from SF and united ireland)

they may be left or right leaning but they will just go with the flow and as you said its just career progression to move to Europe.

but any altruism for the country or its people seemed to have gone.

any thoughts that politicians were actually public servants (whether you agree with them or not) seems to have disappeared in the 60's and 70's.

Remember there was an Afghan went to the high court to sue the Irish state for failing to provide accommodation?

There's must be plenty of potential cases now there outside the IPO.

Last year they succeeded in getting 500 off the streets. It was reported as a success on rte.

I said at the time that unless you stem the flow that 500 would soon be replaced by the next 500.

The same applies now.

They'll never, ever get it.

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

This thread is really just turning into a 'build the wall' echo chamber.

Comment after comment about closing borders and sending people back, entirely oblivious to how so every other wealthy country who has tried these measures has either failed or created consequences which were worse than the original problem.

Funny too how quick so many are to blame the awful tent situation on an imaginary 'open border' policy, while ignoring the actual burning down of accommodation centers by right-wing thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And you're ignoring the failures of the government by putting these men in the tents.

It's government policy to put them into tents.

Where's your anger about this?

These charitable organisations making things far worse.

Why is there so many organisations doing the same thing. These men now told their victims and they're entitled to accommodation.

These charities should leave them alone. Let the government deal with it.

• Advertisement

I'm not at all ignoring it. Depending on private hotels for so long has been a terrible idea, destined to failure.

It's been especially clear since the beginning of the Ukraine war that large-scale state provided accommodation was required.

It's also been clear for a decade now that we need to increase the supply of housing in general in this country. If anger doesn't come across in my posts it's because I'm as much worn out by years and years of failure and waste in this country. What's worse now is that any hope we had of turning things around and moving in the right direction is also likely to be p****d away on votes for anti-immigration candidates who'll only support another FFG government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

If those buildings were not burnt down there would still be tents outside the ipas building.

It appears there is a new D Hotel required every two weeks now based on the amount of new arrivals.

I am curious however, as to what the plan will be once the hotels and dilapidated buildings are filled up.

Surely one possible solution at this point to either refuse entry or deport people immediately. I would think this is a reasonable opinion to have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Lots of Asian countries don't have this problem. Also Australia seems to have a handle on it. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I’m fed up listening to RTE and their woke buddies tell us every evening about “those poor men on mount street”…. Jennifer Whitmore is one of the regulars on RTE most evenings crying into her latte. Most of these “poor men” are economic opportunists from Pakistan and similar locations, maybe Jennifer could invite them all down to greystones. I agree with the council in not providing portaloos on the street as it would “normalise” the situation. House those 200 (or whatever) and another 200 will replace them and so it goes infinitum. Enough is enough, we are being scammed, by these “poor men”, by RTE and their cohort of bleeding heart political friends. To greystones or hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Where are the tents other than Mount St?

I know there are tents dotted around, but are there concentrations of them outside of Mount St?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If only we didn’t have a big ocean between us and the rest of the world… oh wait.

Any proof of your right wing thug theory? If not any idea where one can join the right wing? Any right wing websites? Any right wing leaflets? It’s not illegal to be right leaning in politics so surly there are some politicians standing on a right leaning platform? Is there anything at all to back up this right wing meanace we are being told about? Because obviously some people incapable of free think are gobbling it up. Oh wait… never mind I see a column of lads in brown shirts going down the road here walking like geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A lot rests on O'Gormans plan this month, where he lays out the medium and long term plan.

The current approach clearly isnt sustainable and the tent overspill was long since predicted.

Will we see large scale modular homes built in rural areas? I dont know. But I dont see any other answer, as long as the inflow of IPAs sustains.

When you say any hope of turning things around, who could people vote for to achieve that do you think?

This.

I spent time in Korea, Taiwan and Japan.

If I had to explain the situation in Ireland to them I don't think they'd understand at all. It would be an alien concept.

It would be a bit like trying to explain mandatory closing times in pubs.

(Something they don't have)

What? You don't simply deport?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Japan is a one off in that it has very little immigration at all, never mind refugees.

It's also a country in serious decline : economy is shrinking and the population is in catastrophic freefall:

"By 2050, only 106 million people are expected to live in Japan and by 2100 just 75 million. This means that in 90 years the population will decrease by 53 million people - over half a million people a year or more than one person every second around the clock."

• Advertisement

What Asian countries don't have this problem? Do people seek asylum there?

Australia has pretty much stopped everyone but pre-approved asylum seekers, which wouldn't be possible here with the six counties, etc.

As you'll see from earlier in the thread, immigration is still the hot topic politically there. Reports that they have a huge amount of undocumented migration and organized crime problems related to facilitating this.

If only we didn't have an open border to the north as part of the CTA.

As for the rest of it... Of course it was right-wing thugs, those centers didn't spontaneously combust just as rumors spread they were to be used for housing IPAs. It's self-evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Economy will "right size" to the population and commercial output of the country, doesn't always have to expand as the end cycle of that is a Boom-Bust period like we get in Europe every few years.

As for "population is in catastrophic free-fall" hardly!... The numbers will balance out and services such as health, education, infrastructure and housing will mean each citizen will have access to good quality services and won't have to fight with Global investment funds for a place to live like we do here..

The Japanese are also way ahead of Ireland and Europe in terms of robotics and automation, and creating A.I based systems so jobs like vehicle Drivers, food servers, factory/warehouse workers, call centres etc etc will become obsolete there in the next few years..

Although once A.I and automation catches up here then there's going to be vast numbers of people out of work and most could be from the thousands of unskilled migrants coming into the country now...

Post edited by Tenzor07 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"If only we didn't have an open border to the north as part of the CTA.

As for the rest of it... Of course it was right-wing thugs, those centers didn't spontaneously combust just as rumors spread they were to be used for housing IPAs. It's self-evident."

Your constant point is because we have a border with the North there's no point in trying to stop immigration and the only solution is to keep building more housing ad infinitum for the immigrants. Have I got that right? Obviously the more we build the more will come, given our size in relation to the rest of the world we'll never be able to provide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can you attempt to tackle my second paragraph?

Not just the border to the North, even if that were not there we'd still have to contend with dealing with undocumented migrants coming through other channels and the consequences that come with that.

We don't have to build more housing for all future immigrants as I'm aware, as there's an EU policy to provide funding in lieu for resettlement in other European countries.

In the longer term we and other wealthy countries need to start looking at the push factors that are causing people to emigrate from the global south in the first place. Turning to failed approaches or doing nothing isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So we don’t have to build more housing but we have to give them accommodation of some type or pay the EU fines? So can we tell the EU now, sorry but those few hundred lads living on our streets will have to leave but here’s a few hundred million euro.

What to you want a small country like Ireland to do to solve the problems of the third world? We already give billions in overseas aid.

You keep coming back to this.

No right thinking person agrees with the burning down of buildings.

The main focus of your anger should be at the government if you believe refugees are welcome and should be given accommodation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement