Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So many middle aged Irishmen have let themselves go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can you imagine the impact and consequences if someone had posted a thread titled…, ‘middle aged Irish women letting themselves go’….

misogyny or misandry, two sides of the sane coin surely 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,325 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Didn't you already say exactly the same thing on page 3 of the thread?

If you've an issue with middle aged Irish women letting themselves go, maybe try starting a thread about it to test your hypothesis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭yagan

We have it here too, no doubt but England is certainly further down the road.

About twenty years ago the last time I took a package holiday to Lanzarote you could not ignore the difference in physical appearance between the queues for north European flights and our flight back to Dublin. Nearly everyone in the north European queue was svelte, with lots of what appeared to be multi general families.

Now that flight to Dublin is not representative of all Ireland as I remember most of the adults were roaring drunk at the hotel bar everynight when we came back from sightseeing each day, but it was depressing to see two such contrasting queues and I was on the one full of people complaining about needing a smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

I'm 43 now. The ass hangs outa both my pairs of tracksuit bottoms and I'll get a haircut when there's a wedding / christening.

Middle ground? Sure 10 or 20 years ago. That reminds me. Must get a new pair of crocs from the middle isle next time I'm in Aldi.

The missus hasnt divorced me yet 😂

How you like that o1s1n?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s also been plenty of threads over the years on Karen’s etc. You’d think from reading some of the posts here that the white middle-aged dude who lives in one of the wealthiest countries in the world is somehow the most downtrodden minority that has ever existed.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It might be the perception of the holiday destination rather than an accurate representation of the whole country. I mean it has a reputation as spot with rough round the edges tourists.

It’s the same when people say there are no attractions people from x, well where are they looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Do a search, plenty of these types of threads about Irish women on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Eibhir

Yes I agree.

I think the whole fashion argument should be separate from diet, exercise, lifestyle etc.

I totally agree, it's certainly not representative of the whole country, it's probably more a reflection of the package rather the destination. Although I think the queue next to us to north europe was also a charter flight for a package company.

It was in schools being off time and both had families with kids, but the manner and tone between the was very different. The other queue was calm and relaxed, our queue was restless and the kids hyper.

I had been on package holidays out of Ireland in previous years and it never felt as bad, but we were in the bertie bubble era.

You live a really active lifestyle with great commitment to exercise considering your other commitments.

Just one point I'd raise for us men pushing the boundaries in our 40s (48 here). We're also not as young as we were (naturally!) and need to be careful of overdoing it too. It's very easy to burn out, where we're of no use to ourselves and our families.

30/40 years ago, as kids, we had 1 to 2 activities usually. A sport, Comhaltas, athletics etc. Now, for example, a 10 year old boy could have soccer, gaelic football, hurling, athletics, Irish dancing and swimming! Maybe 5 activities. Parents are on the road a lot. If you're in South Kilkenny you might have to drive an hour to a juvenile hurling game in North Kilkenny. At least an hour for the match to proceed. It's tough going.

• Advertisement

Also if you're a single fella in mid life looking to meet someone you have more incentive, and time, to train and be fit.

If comfortable in a relationship, married or partner, and the other half is happy with you, you're not going to have the same motivation for an eyeballs out circuit session.

On the subject of Irish Middle aged women. They're as good as anywhere else IMO.

Some beautiful women in their late 40s early 50s. Pilates, yoga and so on have really taken off in the last decade. Huge amounts of women run in my athletics club.

And the same for men, a huge amount in great shape for their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sometimes people who are judged to have let themselves go are just happy in life

Half the cnts here complaining are probably the type that jog on the spot at red traffic lights

Well that's true they often are very happy. But they can be on the verge of serious health issues that effect the happiness and the wallet.

Take Brendan Grace, a genuine, happy, good guy. But IMO 68 is too young to die. For his last decade he had a lot of health issues, type 2 diabetes, toes amputated. Speech slurring and people thinking he was drunk on stage.

Brendan was a self confessed sugar addict. Cakes, buns, ice cream.

It's all about balance I suppose.

I'm very much of the Bill Shankly school on fitness to offset ageing, 'I want to die a fit man'!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

This discussion reminds me of two of my ex-girlfriends. Or at least, the contrast between them.

The first was at best 5ft 1in on a good day. Looked after herself but found it incredibly hard sometimes. Through genetics she had got the looks of her mother but the muscle mass of her father and she was properly strong. Like, could easily lift me off the ground strong even though I was nearly a foot taller and not far off twice her weight. So even though she was a tiny little thing in general, she had big legs and big upper arms for her size. She was not a delicate little flower, she just looked like one.

Anyway, all this natural strength meant that when it came down to exercise, if she started say jogging or cycling, within a month or so her legs would start bulging with muscle which she absolutely hated. Understandably, she wanted her legs to get thinner, not bigger but she just wasn't built that way. So in her mind the only way she could really lose weight was by diet alone. Coupled with the fact she dealt with a hormonal problem from since she was a teenager she really did yoyo in weight quite a bit. I mean, she was never fat and she always looked great but she did gain weight easily and it was extremely difficult for her to keep her size down to where she wanted it. So, the result of all this was that she never gave anyone any grief when it came to their weight as she herself understood how difficult it could be.

Contrast this with the next girl I was seeing. She was easily 5ft 7+ and was properly svelte. She jogged and exercised a bit and did some strength training but it wasn't a huge amount. In spite of that though she didn't really have much in the way of muscle mass so despite being over 6 inches taller than the previous girl, she was probably lighter. She was certainly easier for me to carry anyway.

Anyway, this girl had a real dislike for overweight people. She said it was a sign of mental weakness. I really had to bite my tongue when she was saying this stuff as she was always thin. I saw pictures of her in her early 20's and she didn't even really have hips at that stage though she eventually got them by time I met her when she was 30. It never really sunk in with her that she was genetically predisposed to having an easier time of staying thin than a lot of other people. She wasn't a foodie, she had a very simple diet, mostly lentils. A food blow-out for her was a few slices of Kilmeadan cheddar! She loved jogging and just liked fitness in general. She was doing things she enjoyed that also happened to keep her thin and I think because of that, she never had much empathy for the people who really struggled. She also had a job where she left the house at 8.15 and was back by 3.45 so she had plenty of time to do activities.

My point is, a lot of the most judgmental people think everyone should be like them because often, it's easier for them so they see no reason why others struggle so much. It's like people who love their job and can't understand why other's don't too. I mean ask yourself, who's working harder; the person who skips to work looking forward to the day or the person who peels themselves out of bed and bursts into tears in the shower at the thought of what's to come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

The Podcast sphere - depending on how much stock you put in the PHDs who appear on those kind of shows - have recently been pushing back a lot on that notion that you need to be much more careful and scale back as you get older. Peter Attia, Andrew Hubermann, Gary Brecka, Paul Saladino, Gabrielle Lyon spring to mind just from recent memory but loads more all are saying similar.

Now of course what they are not saying is that old age slow down and acquired delicacy is a myth. So when I say they are pushing back I do not mean they are saying the notion is outright wrong or anything like that.

But there is - if I may paraphrase their collective messaging - a certain self fulfilling prophecy to it too. If we see our age as indicative that we should be scaling back our efforts and we therefore start to lose muscle mass and energy and endurance and flexibility and so forth - then those loses can lead to burn out and injury and falls and so forth in our old age. In fact according to some there is no bigger predictor in comparing longevity to age related issues and injuries than muscle mass. And a lot of men will credit the loss of testosterone with age as part of the issue but if you let muscle mass decline then that too is a predictor of loss of testosterone. So again the prediction of such loses leads people to do the very thing that causes such loses.

One of them, Brecka I think, defines aging with his tongue in his cheek as "The aggressive pursuit of comfort". Partially joking as I think he is - I think his point is that our perception of age can lead us to pursue the very things that might in fact be accelerating our aging.

It's all outside my pay grade so I do not mean to vicariously defend their positions so much as just to just mention they are out there. I can but speak for myself and so far (age 45) I am stronger, faster, more flexible, mentally and sexually more active, more capable, winning more medals and more full of general energy and motivation than any other point in my life and all of these things still seem to be on an upward curve rather than level or downward. And my testosterone and other blood panel results are better now than when I was 25 or 35.

Happy to let that continue as long as I can and whatever ultimately causes me to finally start slowing down - it wont be merely contemplating what year it is I hope! I love seeing the 80 year olds who are running marathons or breaking their pull up bar personal records or competing in Jujitsu or climbing mountains and so forth. More power to them :)

We all need to be careful of "overdoing it" you are right. Whether you are 5, 55, or 85. But it also pays to be careful deciding what "over doing it" means for us as an individual and ensure that we are basing that conclusion on much much more than notions we might have about what a 45 or 55 year old is meant to be capable of. I know 80 year olds doing things that would be "over doing it" for some 20 year olds :)

I would agree. I have been in Germany a lot recently and I have noticed a lot of the women there look quite different to the women of the same age here in Ireland. I would say their figure looks healthier than the Irish. But their look of skin and age seems a lot worse. I passingly wondered why this might be but did not really care enough to think too deeply on it. Germany gets more sun and they appear to have a much higher level of salt in their diets there. Other than that I have no theories whatsoever though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wait what's wrong with jogging on the stop at traffic lights? i just did this while waiting to run across the samuel beckett bridge on my lunchtime jog 😯

• Advertisement

😀😀that was in jest

If you wear those jogging shoes that have individual toes though it's a different matter

I suppose when I say overdo I mean really, really pushing it. 2-3hrs heavy training a day when you're really pushing cardio, trying to lift more and more. No phone pauses.

Combined with family and work activities that you didn't have in your 20s.

I'm like you. Bench more than ever, can cycle 40 mile routes I've done for 25 years in times better than my 30s. I haven't noticed any decline. Bar playing soccer or gaelic my turns are slower but I'm grand in a straight line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,624 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

no i wear a knackered pair of asics with holes in them, need to change them actually

Just wrap them in tape and you'll get another few years out of them

I think I do too much of a variety of things to be even able to "over do" any one of them. I guess if I was only doing one thing my obsessiveness would maybe lead me to overdoing it and injuring myself. But I do Jujitsu, Capoeira, Tai chi, Bo Staff, home gym, horse riding, archery with a heavy poundage, running, balance training, gardening and more. So I simply do not have the time for any one of those things to over do it before I go on to the next one.

Jujitsu, Capoeira and "knees over toes guy" stuff do help with flexibility. I do not play ball games very often. Hardly ever. I truly suck at any and all ball games. But my turns would be quite fast because of those three things feeding into them. If your turns are slowing and you have not already done so - check yourself out some Knees over toes guy :) Might just help.

• Advertisement

Definitely do. You could pick up an injury when the shocks are gone in runners.

That's a brilliant combo.

Myself, farming, cycling, less running as I'm 6ft 3 and 16st and not designed for it. I get some at gaa, soccer, playing with the kids.

I'd do all the core, planks, setups, pressups, bridging. All the weights dumbbell rows, squats, bench etc.

Pilates and 30 min daily stretching. I'm at my weight since 23 or so, 25 years ago and would be a big build. I could never get below 25 BMI bar malnourished! But my V02 max and all aerobic tests are good.

With the farming I prefer non tractor jobs, picking stones, pulling ragwort, carrying buckets of nuts, dosing cattle and so on.

I don't drink but love being in company. I eat a lot of meat, veg and fruit and might have chocolate once a week.

My biggest battle is bipolar depression. These are things we should be aware of in never judging anyone for their make up.

Edit: My rigid adherence to a fitness regime and diet is the greatest aid in controlling my depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The obsessive hatred, anger and bile that one or two posters on here have for that particular demographic is really quite something to behold. Very strange altogether.

As I said in an earlier post the main motivation for all my hobbies and health pursuits is also my depression and anxiety and low self esteem and self hatred. Most people who know me do not know I have these things. Because the way I live has basically buried it entirely. It will come back some day when I am too old to keep it buried any longer. So it is a war I will ultimately lose. But I fully intend to win every battle between then and now and keep it buried as long as I can. And right now I could not at all be happier I think. I can pratically feel the demons still in there dying to get out again. Especially if I slip in my discipline and routines. But they are not going to get me any time soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What posters and what demographic? Cheers Rothko.

• Advertisement

I haven't read all posts and I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you put much work into the mental side of things? Like CBT, Mindfulness and maybe counselling to get to what may be leading you to view yourself negatively. I'm sure nobody looks on you in that light. Don't for a second believe it's not fixable and that you can't be content in a world post exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the research is in the deaths of thin fit wirey cross country types.. can no one read

and that is a shite article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,624 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well, you certainly got rather vexed when others pointed out that using BMI to determine a healthy weight wasn't reliable, so I hope that helped.

Yea I have done the whole gamut of things from CBT to drugs to everything else. Healthy Eating, sleeping and physical activity combined with mindfulness and Vipassana basically has me entirely on top of things. And I am entirely content and happy and living a life full of meaning and fulfilment. And I expect I will be for many a year to come. It's work. And it always will be I am sure. I look at it like mental diabetes. Many diabetics live perfectly normal and fulfilled lives and you would not even know they are diabetics. They just have to self monitor closely and stay on top of their condition.

When I finally "Let myself go" as the thread is about - it will be on my terms I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

This OAP isn't letting himself go

Maybe by that stage the symptoms won't be as bad. Take care.

no, it is reliable, its just a bit of math, people seem a bit to thick to get that

I'll direct you to my first post on the subject

i'll leave you to your own vexation

This morning,

My max has been 3 hours 42 minutes

Maximum elevation

I'm 65 and started back on the treadmill 2 years back

I was getting lazy ish

Yeah I was up to 24 km walks etc

But I wasn't in a regime

Now I eat good

Train hard

Luckily off the booze 11 years

Never smoked

Have 2 great grandchildren OTW in 2 weeks ( ish)

I want to be around and active for as long as possible to enjoy the kids being around

we need some more pics before we can say if we'd tap that ass or not

This discussion has made me think back on what once seemed acceptable but wouldn't be nowadays.

I remember retiring to the bar being a very real and respected thing in our town. When my wife's father died suddenly in the 70s her doctor recommended she take up smoking to keep herself occupied.

I wonder what letting ones self go meant at that time. Perhaps wearing unironed clothes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Well apparently we’re all supposed to be wearing sunscreen, even in winter as sun damage is a major factor in aging skin.

Ha ha vg

My point is if an old bastard' like me can push himself

Should be no bother to guys in their late 30 S - early 40s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

the opening sentiment is probably explained by mother nature.We keep ourselves as good /attractive as possible during the procreation years and once they are past some people continue with their beauty regime and some say feck it ,why bother anymore.Neither is right,or wrong,just the way of the world.Doubt the numbers of those letting themselves go has increased,although I would think its mostly related to payback.If your a hunk and exercise /dieting keeps you a hunk you will probably keep it up,if you feel the payback is significant less for you with on going maintenance then chances are you will settle into that dad/Uncle BOD and focus your energies elsewhere.

Gareth Keenan has a healthy BMI and pulls fine women in Chasers😅

Was he an arse faced weasel or a weasel faced arse? Can't remember.

• @monkeybutter @Eibhir @john rambo

the three of your are posting in an absolutely disgraceful manner. I actually don’t even know which one of the posts to focus on so I’ll do it this way.

Do not post in this thread again, any of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m not sure if I could be considered a member of the ‘let himself go’ club.

Eating habits are not brilliant but not terrible either, Chocolate most evenings, takeaway on a Sunday, sausage rolls on a Saturday morning. Otherwise I eat well. Weetabix or porridge with fruit and nuts for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch, reasonably healthy dinners, maybe portions a bit bigger than necessary.

Im probably half a stone heavier than I’d like. I’m not as active over winter months. I definitely could do with being more active overall.

I don’t consider myself a snappy dresser. I have a decent enough wardrobe. I prioritise comfort over style but I still try to wear decent fitting clothes and avoid tracksuits and fleeces.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Smoking as well. It is a lot easier to tell if a woman has smoked when younger.

😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Alexus25

Very few men can get away with a bald head, i know its expensive but if I was a guy I'd be getting hair implants, but then appearance is important to be and I invest in it, so I expect it in the other person too

• Advertisement

• @Eibhir threadban reversed.

Advertisement