Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Glastonbury doesn’t need to compromise on quality to sell tickets. Four bland to poor headliners. There’s great stuff elsewhere but this is a true nadir for the top line of acts. No way to dress it up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Never a fan. But they are glasto fixtures at this point and mad popular. Easy booking for Emily eavis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

For someone with very vanilla tastes (verging into huns territory at times), there is an awful lot to like there.

Heaton, Kiwanuku, Harvey, LCD, Monae are all very solid choices and the holts/woodsies + park line ups are quite tasty in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭rubick

That's barely 10% of the final line-up.

The rumoured PJ into LCD Soundsystem on the Friday will be perfect for us, and a rare visit to the Pyramid. Getting offside and down to the South East Corner as Coldplay come on is just a bonus. Only way to top this is to have Squarepusher on The Glade right after LCD Soundsystem but that merely because it's less of a walk.

Orbital doing their first two albums on The Park in that Leftfield slot from last year? You better believe I'll be there with f*cking bells on.

I am seriously getting bored sh*tless with aggy complaining across the web about literally everything festival and music related. We're the lucky ones that get to moan about it online. Some people are live-tweeting their own genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

Quite possibly one of the worst set of headliners Glastonbury has had for me, worried other festivals will use it as an excuase for finding quality headliners although they're probably locked in for this year anyway. I didn't mind Coldplay initially when they came out like a lot of people, but feel they just get worse and worse each album. But there's huge quality there overall.

For me there is a HUGE list off of it I'd welcome/ be delighted to see at Stradbally this year if they happened to come, to name a few:

LCD Soundsystem, Idles, Disclosure, Bloc Party, The Streets, Jungle, Justice, Jamie xx, Nia Archives, Danny Brown, Fontaines DC, James Blake, London Grammar, Orbital, Barry Can't Swim, Bonobo, Faithless, Skream & Benga, Headie One, Peggy Gou.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

i really should get my arse to glastonbury before it's too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

it gets worse

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

If I read correctly the area set aside for the Ukrainian refugees is in the family campsite area.

Contract has been renewed past its end date of July.

It's possible you may be camping elsewhere.

On a positive note once the Ukrainian area has been closed down in the future you may have family podpads and cabins to rent from the left over prefabs.

That water thing sounds diabolical. I may be wrong but an Irish fest would get shut down quite quickly for that, or not even be allowed to open after safety checks.

And I fully agree re Reynolds and Pod, without them the fest would be more akin to Oxegen. I also agree re checking out fests. I wanted to check out Sziget sometime, if only for a day or two and explore Budapest the rest of the week/weekend. However it’s utterly gone to ruin and full of acts mentioned here as those we don’t want at EP. Also wish I’d gone to Exit in the old castle in Novi Sad when the likes of the Stooges, Laibach & the Beastie Boys were headlining. Now the main act is the Black-Eyed Peas.

There aren’t a huge amount of quirky festivals in mainland Europe and without sounding arrogant those that offer the most variety and make the most effort are to be found in the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement

Dua lipa is friday pyramid so probably LCD into Dua

Who are these magical non bland glasto headliners that are household names then??

that he personally thinks there are bombastic, not arguing that or that they have headlined a few times between 2002 and 2016.

biggest UK band in last twenty years so them being repeat headliners isn’t surprising.

Several of us here are pretty regular attendees though if you want advice on how to get tickets EVERY last year then look no further than @rubick and @desk tidy.

It really is the pinnacle. Tough going over 4/5 days and even harder when wet or muddy but there’s really nothing like it and I recommend going at least once.

2022 had Paul McCartney, Billie Eilish, Diana Ross and Kendrick Lamar. None bland.

2023 had Elton John, Guns ‘n’ Roses and the Arctic Monkeys. Again none bland. Lana del Ray headlined the other and is soon ready to be top of the bill on the Pyramid. The Stones and U2 will be touring again. I’m no fan of Taylor Swift but she’s superior to those headliners. AC/DC about, Pearl Jam, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Green Day, Depeche Mode and several more.

Glasto headliners don’t need to be bland.

Taylor Swift doing her own stage production. Beyonce, Depeche mode, rihanna, U2 not touring this summer. Ac/D.C. doing stadiums for millions.

Green day exclusive to IOW.

Rolling Stones probably won’t do glasto again as pay is too little.

Subjectively Dua lipa and SZA aren’t bland.

as much as people want to blame Emily eavis, if bands want bigger pay days elsewhere that’s there choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Imagine being in Berlin for the weekend and spending your time at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

It was, I can't see how a festival that size and in a country with that Climate missed that, I'd say the warm water was coming out maybe 1L per minute from the 4 taps which were impossible to find, think it increased to 7/8 by the end of it. Beer only keeps you hydrated for so long, eventually had to pay out for water cans on day 3 during Squarepusher as I'm pretty sure there were no working taps over that side of the festival (half hour walk from the main arena). It was definitely a health and safety issue, I think it wouldn't be allowed here, you could say the same about the 100 or so steps between one stage people were falling on when drunk.

I really enjoyed Primavera overall. But some decisions were really hard to fathom, especially in comparison to ones here. I went to I think 11 festivals in Ireland one year, some very questionable ones (think like 'Oxogen' out of the Hardy Bucks), but still mostly had the basics correct.

I really hope B&S returns next year, as you say there are very little larger quirky festivals with variety around Europe, I really enjoyed it at it's 15k attendance era. I think with most festivals and bands, seeing them at the right time is the key, I desperately need to do Glastonbury some year. I definitely miss the EP days gone by, however still 2023 was probably my favorite years even with it being my least favorite lineup overall, it still has a lot of it's magic. Various suggestions here of De Dannan, Simple Kid and a few others really made it for me as there were plenty of really good acts I wasn't overly familiar with. I'm just terrified with us getting a lot of the names mention for this year by Fanirish, but even if, hope they can pull one great festival together overall like usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

There's plenty to do at Sziget beyond the music, lots of different places to explore on the island. The lineups having been lacking in recent years but they're still pretty diverse at least. A 3 day pass with a decent lineup (if there is one) is probably the way to do it. I camped for 8 days which I wouldn't recommend unless you're a glutton for punishment, but it was unique experience. Michael Eavis is even a fan.

I think Primavera have gotten the balance right, the festival has grown and they've brought in pop acts but the lineups aren't lacking in depth and variety. SZA is one artist at a festival out of 100s, Pulp, Beth Gibbons, Vampire Weekend, PJ Harvey, Bikini Kill, Yo La Tengo etc. wouldn't look out of place at any of the previous editions. They've maintained an identify while trying to appeal to a wider audience. There's not many festivals where Dua Lipa and Napalm Death will appear on the same lineup.

The setup definitely isn't for everyone and completely different from EP, like I said it's purely a music festival. It's far from perfect but they have changed some of what you mentioned, better food options, no barriers at the mainstage, no Heineken, and have added some small stages/chill out areas down by the waterfront. The Porto version is very different, having been to both multiple times that's the one I recommend to people.

The 'arts' element of EP is what sets it apart, it gives the place a bit of character which is always going to be better than being corralled in an empty field like cattle. That said, it often feels like it's doing a lot of the heavy lifting. The organisers will pay it lip service but the Body and Soul area has never been adequately replaced (see also Other Voices) and in general it seems low on their list of priorities. It only took them about 10 years to move the Jerry Fish tent to an appropriate spot.

There's a lot that EP does right but also a lot of what made it different and exciting to begin with has slowly been chipped away.

All of you asked for potential acts. You got ‘em.

All of the above have either played Glasto, been scheduled for Glasto or could do Glasto. And that’s only a random few off the top of my head. Several more that could have been booked and all are superior to the tosh that tops the bill for this June. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Colmshan1990

The Glastonbury headliners... Dua Lipa and Coldplay would be fine announcements if they didn't feel over exposed.

Shania Twain would be an interesting show, country goes under the radar here but it's a huge seller.

SZA would be the most interesting act of the four.

Further down the list are plenty of acts I'd be delighted to see at EP this year.

Some have played recently but I missed due to clashes, others I just want to see. Kiwanuka, PJ Harvey, Janelle Monae, Idles, The National, Avril Lavigne, Last Dinner Party, Justice, Jungle, Gossip, Lankum, Fontaines, Peggy Gou and more

Again magical acts that could have been booked, end of day maybe Emily eavis reached to 20 other massive acts and they all said no for whatever reason.

Glastonbury pays headliners pittance so that is always a factor.

With the notable exception of Fleetwood Mac sooner or later Glasto get who they want. You asked me to name non-bland potential headliners. I immediately named ten. There are many more. The biggest festival of all has no excuse for an anodyne top tier. It sells all tickets regardless.

I’ve never been to Sziget so can only rely on the reports of others. Wish I’d gone before but the lineup doesn’t appeal now. Nonetheless I’ve pals in Budapest, love the city and would happily use up free accommodation with them whilst checking out a couple of days of the fest.

Primavera has definitely worsened. Calvin Harris, Halsey and Rosalia as three of the nine main acts in 2023 confirmed that. But I’d not complain too much as they have so many superb acts over the weekend that the dross is irrelevant (see also Glasto). They also have several unexpected surprises every year that o don’t think other fests match - John Carpenter, Caetono Veloso, etc. They’re also ahead of the curve on upcoming young indie acts and I’d give it another try if the major issues are resolved. Some of the past lineups are incredible.

I also fully agree about Body & Soul/Other Voices. Never replaced nor likely to be Croi last year was excellent but that could easily have happened within the previous B&S space. The area just feels a bit empty and underused. Good to take a rest in and the larger adjacent Mindfield area works well. OVs pulled some great acts. Jerry and the SD haven’t matched that, great though they are.

the ones you suggested where as bland if not more than the 3 announced for this year.

nice source here on how Emily pays headliners pittance https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/how-much-glastonbury-headliners-paid-8551620.amp

£200k for McCartney is daylight robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

He's a spoofer when it comes to the G. Dredging forum for clout.

So the acts I mentioned as recent or potential headliners are as bland as Dua Lipa, Shania Twain, SZA & Coldplay?

To refresh your memory they were Paul McCartney, Billie Eilish, Diana Ross, Kendrick Lamar, Elton John, Guns ‘n’ Roses, Arctic Monkeys, Lana del Ray, The Rolling Stones , U2, Taylor Swift, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Green Day and Depeche Mode for starters.

Tis all subjective and I can’t be bothered with half of those acts but I’d contend that they’d provide less of a snooze fest that the Pyramid will offer this year.

May I be so bold as to suggest ‘a spoofer’ full stop?

He clearly has no knowledge of Glastonbury that isn’t gleaned from misinformed articles on capacity, demographics and booking. But that regrettably won’t stop the flow. 😀

Kendrick and Depeche mode only decent acts there in my opinion.

• Advertisement

You’ve also been extolling Lana of late but that’s a fair opinion.

Advertisement