Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tazman06

Yep, I do recall that and we seem to alright. If we get promoted, it will mean 4 weeks in a row (potentially 5), as League final is week before Monaghan, and then quarter final is week after that should we win

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two week break to the quarter final.

21.04.2024 (Sun) Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship | Quarter-Final Tir Eoghain v Muineachán / An Cabhán.

Ah yes indeed. I went off my head, and got mxed up with no break between potential quarter final and semi final instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

2020 versus Clare was rightly castigated for poor game management, not energy levels. We were playing into a gale force wind and played on the front foot and got caught with Clare using the wind to kick long scores. We finished that game really strongly and if we had taken a few late scores, could have won it. In fact, you could make the case that the way we played against Clare influenced us a bit later in the year, which leads me to the next bit...

I know you said playing "league matches 3 weekends in a row", but regardless of the competition, our best series of performances for decades were in 2020 when we played week on week without break and won Ulster.

And seeing how we physically emptied the tank on Saturday, it didn't seem to me that it was a physical thing and more the unforced errors in the first half resulting in turnovers that really cost us.

Also- did anyone make reference to the mark that Caoihim took at the end of the first half? Both him and Madden were adamant it was a mark but he was overruled, was turned over and Meath broke and kicked a point. If he was awarded that and kicked it, we go in at half time 2 down having played no football at all.

I just listened to that, did the WAC lads post that to show that in comparison they aren't biased? God it was a hard slog!

We are Cavan: "Cavan fans have an inferiority complex about Cavan county football" and also, "here's a joint podcast between the Meath & Cavan podcasts where the Meath lads talk for 99% of the time about how brilliant they were, how they were robbed by the ref and what a brilliant kicking game they play" (do me a favour!)

The We are Meath lads wondering why they aren't racking up scores? Errm, if you're leaving 14 men in your own half all the time lads you might struggle to rack up big scores.

• Advertisement

It was a poor call. Madden was clearly outside the 45 kicking it. It was indeed a swing. Maybe not a 2 point swing as Caoimhin might not have got the kick, but they wouldn't have gone straight up the field anyway to get their point

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

The guy from the Meath Herald was a particularly deluded individual, listing out all the things that went against Meath. You'd swear they never got a free. Bar 1 or 2 calls I thought the ref was very good (the mark being one of them), any referee errors probably balanced out.

Thought the ref was decent alright. Probably the best ref we've seen this year, although that was a low bar. Few mistakes, but was consistent to both sides in most things so I'll take that any day of the week. And yeah, thought we complained about the ref, but caught the Louth pod too and never saw such whinging.

Speaking of refs (don't like going ok about them, but noted this) but did anyone see the black card Barry Cassidy gave Woods for Monaghan on Sunday? Carbon copy of one he gave to Killian Brady in the 2020 final. That fella needs to decide what a black is, and what is an accidental coming together. As that was never a black either

wearecavan lads have a survey about the match day diary podcasts. They never put in an option "no meath fans" which I would support 😂

Joking aside I think the match day diary is generally very good, a bit of craic and interesting to listen back to after the game. I just didn't like the joint one for the Meath match.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Agree, it was bad enough as it was but it would have been insufferable if we'd lost. Getting the other side's viewpoint on the podcast in advance of the match is always good though.

• Advertisement

Think you need to edit that Myles, they need a "no Meath or Monaghan fans" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

In fairness it was a good idea but the Cavan lads needed to up their game! I enjoy the match day diaries. Good to hear the bit of discussion and craic before and after a game and it’s enjoyable to get it soon enough after a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Some result for our hurlers who really seem to be punching way above their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

The hurlers are an absolute inspiration at the moment. My own club, East Cavan Gaels are thriving. Serious works being done by local volunteers. Great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

The years of coaching is starting to pay off now and the couple of lads who are playing with them who are from traditional hurling counties seem to have raised the bar. Do you go to any of the games Thegadfly how are they been supported?

Folks, seeing as the hurlers are getting some good and well due attention, be worthwhile to maybe plan your Saturday with going to Breffni to watch the hurlers take on the aul enemy Monaghan at 1pm before heading onwards to Armagh for 5pm. They're good lads and play their heart out. Drop in to watch them sure, you won't regret it

And best wishes to the underage teams who start out their years tonight

Unfortunately our minors got a clipping earlier and now our U20s are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

U 30s coming back into it now. Is it knockout or a league basis?

League basis. Think it looks the same as the minor one now. Groups of 4 and 5, and then knockout after a League

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

The U20s didn't look well prepared for what Donegal were bringing last night. It took us until half time to get our defensive unit working right and the game was gone by then. We made that Donegal full forward look like David Clifford, young Hartin got a roasting he won't soon forget. Bell the keeper had a nightmare, he will do well to hold his place after that.

Tobin was excellent at midfield. Donnelly was good. Lovett was our best player by a mile and looks to have improved on his end product in front of goal.

Keaney did well when he came on but missed a couple of shots that could have given us a chance of nicking something from the game.

I think we finished with a stronger team than we started with, the triple substitution really impacted the game positively for Cavan. Club loyalty may have played a part from management.

This looks like a decent U20 side, great that they get more games to have a chance to redeem themselves after that first half shocker.

• Advertisement

Some fella on hoganstand claiming Faulkner is out with pulled hamstring. I wouldn't normally believe anything that's posted over there but wondering is there any truth to it?

He said he did it at training Tuesday. The Seniors trained last night.

Faulkner named. Although pinch of salt needed as required. Oisin Brady drops out, Caoimhin in despite the way Meath went for him. No Cormac O'Reilly which is odd. Still no McVeety or Kiernan

Post edited by tazman06 on

Very hard to see us getting a result in Armagh with that full forward line on current form.

Can't understand how Tiarnan Madden isn't getting a starting position, unless bringing him on when the game has opened up is a tactical decision.

Delighted to see Cian Reilly getting a start, he has been excellent when introduced this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

If Faulkner is out Conor Brady would be a good swap, he was ready for the bench 2 weeks ago so fitness should be much improved. McVeety and Kiernan would need to be at least in the subs for Fermanagh or else they'd be very doubtful for Championship, what's wrong with them anyway?

Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan) went off injured against Kildare, I cant remember for certain but i don't think it was an impact injury and from memory I think he pulled up which would suggest a muscle injury.

McVeety hasn't played since Donegal- he was listed to start against Cork but according to Ray after that game that Dara had "pulled up" in training and would need a scan to assess how serious it was. Nothing since. So far in his short management he tends to not talk about who isn't available which is no harm.

You're right, he's been very impressive.

Ryan O'Neill will win ball and work hard but he needs people running off him to be effective.

So far Ray has more or less lined teams out as per programme, even in McKenna cup. I know McVeety was listed for the Cork game but he was injured in the run-up to the game. Was there a few chances in the Louth game?

I've been quite positive about our chances this year in games so far but I think we might come up short tomorrow. It comes down to forward threat really. Our forward line is not firing as a unit, Paddy is doing well but we don't have other lads chipping in enough. At the end of the day you can play poorly but good forwards can keep you in a game you don't deserve to be still in. We can only hope our attack clicks and does something we haven't seen since the Kildare game but on recent form Armagh have to be strong favourites.

• Advertisement

It’s not just up front we have a problem in this game. Turbett & Conaty are going to need watching and we struggled with just Gallen against Donegal. The Armagh folk I know say Conaty has savage pace so perhaps Carolan will have to forget his own game and take him.

I’d love to see Killian Clarke back on Turbett but it appears he is going to continue at midfield.

If we play like we did against Meath, it’ll be a repeat of that unfortunate showing in 2020.

Advertisement