Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭OldRio

Jason Jenkins moving to the Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frisch_The_Frenchie

URC matches are going to fairly bare bones during International Windows? Snyman, Deeny plus A.N Other during the 6 Nations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

C.O.T will hopefully get playing time. He's played AIL. I'm hoping to see him on the S.A tour.

Good luck to Jenkins. Wish him the best. I would consider losing Ross Molony as a bigger loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

I looked it up and Daly played outside centre in the u-20 world cup final in 2016, with Conor O'Brien at inside centre and Jimmy O'Brien on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Frisch_The_Frenchie

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I wish we had kept Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I haven't heard anyone saying he is heir to BOD?

In reality with Leinster the people crowning players are normally outside of Leinster, then it used as something to criticise the player with, Harry Byrne/Predergast etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Did I read here or maybe somewhere else that Leinster are after Tom O Toole ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They were supposedly (bit mad not to really) but he has re-signed with Ulster.

VanGrann has done some nice recruiting for Bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pretty much absented myself from the post defeat discussion. The usual suspects outing themselves as bad faith players just waiting for an excuse to rip into the side/Farrell for not selecting their favourites. Even got a replay of the Jean Kleyn affair for good measure. Can understand why we've lost some good posters.

Onto actual rugby matters, I've pretty much resigned myself to Ryan being out for at least a month. Assuming we best Leicester in the Champions Cup round of 16, we'll also be without him for the La Rochelle game (assuming they win in South Africa). Ryan is someone whose contribution is now being underrated. There's nobody better at melting a ruck and just being an overall bollock at that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wonder if they'll push Baird into the 2nd row to partner McCarthy? Might be too callow in terms of running the lineout tho. Wouldn't be thrilled to have Jenkins starting

Baird I don't think is the answer to be honest.

Jenkins has the brute force which we would need but him and McCarthy is going to be difficult and who calls the lineout? I don't think Jenkins calls it? didn't Baird from 6 end up calling it recently when Jenkins was on?

I would expect it's Moloney and Big Joe. Moloney for the lineout and Big Joe trying to throw his weight around.

ROG will be licking his lips at this one if they both get to the round

I think some have underrated him but most fans I know certainly haven't. He was massive in the La Rochelle game and really took the rest of the team with him.

Moloney and Big Joe is the pick I can see happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Nah, I'd say they would back Jenkins to partner McCarthy. Those two have teamed up multiple times already this season.

I'd say they'll be hesitant to move Baird from 6 with him doing such a good job there.

No I wasn't saying to bring Baird back from 6, I would leave him in that position. Moloney is an expert at lineout according to all reports, started the majority of games last season including the final, why wouldn't he start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why is he leaving? Why is Jenkins preferred to him? What's different this season than last season?

The obvious answer to these questions is Nienaber's influence this season.

Why is Moloney leaving? well he is nearly 30, won't get capped for Ireland

Has Ryan/McCarthy/Jenkins in front of him next season and will have other young players looking for game time

He is at that age he can command a big wage and in his own ambitions he is moving to one of the potentially top teams in England and will be a first team starter. As I posted as well he is young enough to go away, perform and maybe push for a return to Ireland and into the international squad. Long shot I know

His other option was to stay at Leinster, be a one club man and know in reality for the big games moving forward he won't play and he will never get a chance with Ireland.

This season

Jenkins 12 appearances.

Moloney 11 appearance

Jenkins playing second row and getting a backrow calling the lineout I think was a first for me. Never seen that before. Nienaber has moved him along fairly quickly and didn't pick him for SA

By the way don't get me wrong I think Jenkins is a decent player for URC level and groups stages of Europe etc. But for a game v La Rochelle I would have Moloney in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He'd have Snyman, not Jenkins ahead of him, if that's one of the reasons he's moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

15. Henry McErlean (1)

14. Aitzol King (1)

13. Liam Turner (25)

12. Ben Brownlee (6)

11. Andrew Osborne (0)

10. Sam Prendergast (12)

9. Fintan Gunne (1)

1. Michael Milne (33)

2. Gus McCarthy (0)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (60)

4. Brian Deeny (16)

5. Jason Jenkins (31)

6. Diarmuid Mangan (0)

7. Will Connors (45)

8. Rhys Ruddock (226) CAPTAIN

Subs From:

Bobby Sheehan (0)

Ed Byrne (99)

Paddy McCarthy (4)

Thomas Clarkson (35)

Ross Molony (173)

Conor O’Tighearnaigh (1)

Scott Penny (66)

Max Deegan (107)

Luke McGrath (203)

Charlie Tector (7)

Rob Russell (26)

Luke Kritzinger (0)

Jamie Osborne (38)

• Advertisement

Is this team for the friendly?

We wouldn't know what Molony would be paid? I doubt it's much more than what he's currently on. But in fairness, he is doing what he feels is best for him. He's a good pick up for Bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This game is being shown on Bath's tiktok for anyone who wants to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I can't separate the La Rochelle power game running over leinster with Maloney a light weight second row starting in the two finals against them prior to our win in December. I know not one players fault but feel he was emblematic of our shortcomings against them.

Feel if he starts again it will be history repeating itself.

Joe/Ryan was key when we finally beat them (as well as Baird at 6)

We didn't lose those games for being run over though. We lost due to poor clearance kicks and by not continuing to go for tries when we had the opportunity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think Stormers will beat La Rochelle pulling up and this will all be moot.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah the lack of grunt (compared to the opponents) was definitely a factor. Moloney and Jenkins are a big step down on the other players.

It was either Moloney or Jenkins (can't remember which) who sat on the bench until like the 75th minute in this seasons game against LAR, Leo Cullen learnt his lesson and it's clear they aren't at that level.

Moloney is a good player for teams at a certain level, but the problem he is going to have at Leinster is he's stuck in the middle. Ahead of him he has players he has no hope of ever overtaking for a spot, and the production line means he has to constantly watch over his shoulder for young players coming through. The likes of McCarthy have arrived and leapfrogged him without hardly breaking a sweat.

He could do what others at Leinster have done and content themselves with A rugby, some URC games and watching big games on TV to pick up a decent wage while still living close to home but fair play to him for having a go of it instead.

It was a factor but overblown imo. He didn't struggle against Toulouse, who are no lightweights themselves. Good for him to get a gig overseas, well earned and I think he'll do well

He is moving to England and by reports will be a starting second row so I would think he would have been offered more to move himself to Bath, no idea if he has family etc

I wish him the best of luck and he is a quality player

• Advertisement

Moloney was more than capable of holding his own right up to European final and he had a good game against a robust La Rochelle side, including doing well against the might of the Toulouse packs.

That post seems to be an insult to club stalwarts like Moloney/Ruddock etc and other players around the country

Advertisement