Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

Quote from Eoin Murphy in today's paper, kind of illustrates to me why it's hard to judge league performances..

"I'm a huge fan of the split season. Probably not a huge fan of such a short break between league and championship because you're in such a hard block of training now. Look, it is relatively easy for me because I'm not doing the same volume of running out the field as lads are in matches.

"It's just a block of training that you're in now that's really your pre-season and it's quite tough on the guys. No excuses because you still want to perform on match-days but it's really prepping for the Leinster championship.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I dont know what kind of work goes into the puckouts but it looks like its very little from the outside. If they do any kind of video analysis that can be seen. People have being very vocal about the predictability of the puckouts and the lack of movement.

We are now in the 5th round of the league and very possibly in the last game before championship and there isnt much change from the last couple of years. We dont know our center back or we havent got one. The midfield is just a revolving door and 5 of the fowards played in last years all ireland. Shane murphy is the only new lad to play a few games and he had a very tough afternoon last week which happens everyone i know. What experience are lads going to get sitting on the bench? If moylan is good enough for the bench he is good enough to play center back in a league match. Or try clifford in the backs or play drennan beside tj and let him learn.

Id be dissapointed we havent tried more players especially in a few key areas. We will probably go into the championship with more or less the same team as the last few years with a few minor tweaks which hasnt being good enough to win the all Ireland. Managent need to put their own stamp on this team and not be so conservative. Harry shine got his tooth broken after a few minutes last sunday. I think he will be better suited to summer ground. He is u20 this year, he has a long way to go but we arent exactly blessed with fowards thst can score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It's probably too late in the day for such a change but previously Richie Reid was sub goalie. I think most people agree his distribution is good. Might he have been worth a try in goals? I'm sure there are some who think that's a stupid idea but I also think a lot of people feel that Murphy's distribution hasn't improved in recent years, whilst agreeing that he is definitely our best shot stopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

It would explain why our touch was so poor last week and so many handling errors

I do think that the Munster counties have to be a few weeks ahead of kk in terms of peak fitness touch etc as they need to be at it from the word go to get out of Munster

While there are less tougher games for kk to play to get out of Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Saying “if a guy is good enough to be on the bench, he is good enough to start centre back” is nonsense. A player can be at a point in their career (on an upward trajectory) where they justify being a 3rd or 4th choice back man sub, without being able to step into arguably the most critical position on the field.

Comments like this, to me, are the reason most of message boards (in any sport) are nonsense. When the current results are not absolutely perfect, people argue the manager should just change to some other random selection or configuration. This comes with little to no proof or evidence to suggest the solution will work - case in point “play Moylan centre back”. And because this suggestion has never been done before (and will likely never be implemented) there is no concrete way of proving it’s wrong. Similar to Schrondingers cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

He was our all ireland winning u20 captain 2 years ago center back.We are looking for a center back. He put in huge work to get back on the panel. He had a good year with the club. He deserves a look. Its a league match. Im not saying this chap is the answer, what im saying is what are we going to do next year if scruff,tj,wally,fogarty,buckley all go which they probably will. We should be trying more lads is what im trying to say, especially in a few positions that we have being in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's nonsense to try a young center back at center back when we don't have a center back? You're right, message boards can be fairly bad alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Good job missing the point.

Guy who watches this person train 3-4 times a week and gets to pick the team, decides he’s not at the required level (yet)

Internet poster likely sees the player train a lot less “put him straight in centre back, that’s the solution to our problem position”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Charlie69

He’s saying the chap is worth a try given our issues at centre back…. what part of that are you not getting?…. what a strange reaction to a fairly reasonable suggestion.

• Advertisement

Where did he say "that's the solution"?

So what should people discuss? Just read the team sheet each week, shrug, and say "well lyng knows best"?

Well Lyng is certainly the boss regardless.

Of course Lyng is the boss but surely posters are entitled to their opinions on players and who they think might be in contention for a place on the team???…

Ye your right but it won’t make a blind bit of difference.

Oh my God … these boards woul give you a headache at times .

True, but I would hope nobody posts here because they think it's going to make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Is the game on Clubber or GAA Go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Galway Limerick on RTE and Antrim Tipp on GAAGO and that's it, 2nd game is on BBC NI and they use that coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

1.Eoin Murphy ( Though I would have preferred Brennan and Tallis to get much more gametime aswell), everyone needs stiff competiton in a county setup

Mikey Huw Tommy

M Carey Blanchfield D Corcoran

Cian Kenny Paddy Deegan

Adrian John Donnelly Tom Phelan

Mossy(no one has shown they are better than him and he has goals in him) TJ (can stay in and drift out as he sees fit) E Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

KK team, round 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Good to see Mossy on, we are going to need him come championship. As Kentu said above he can get goals, and no one new is stepping up in that department so far.

I like the look of that team, looks well balanced . I was hoping a couple of the under 20 winners might have made the step up by now but they just haven’t unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Hopefully Luke Hogan can hold onto corner forward, need someone to step up.

I don't think Billy Ryan will be starting another match for KK, he might be more effective in the closing stages but he needs to do something or he'll get the chop altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

This is the team I'd pick if everyone is fit and available at the moment.

I don't think Murphy's improved or seems to want to improve his puckouts by working with or demanding the outfield players make runs for him but his shot-stopping alone will ensure he's selected. With Daire Brennan dropping off the panel during this week it will be Murph from here on out.

E Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, J Molloy

D Blanchfield, M Carey, S Murphy

D Corcoran, P Deegan/R Reid

A Mullen, E Cody, J Donnelly

T Phelan, TJ, C Kenny

Mullen and Cody need to start passing the ball and not always trying to score everything themselves it makes them too easy to mark. Shoot if it's on but 2-3 of Mullens wides in particular in Ennis were from ridiculously tight angles and were really low percentage opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well done to Kieran's on winning another AI. Much the better team even though it went to extra time, just their shooting was off today. Rory McGlynn well deserved MOTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Horrible conditions down here. Mikey Butler went off early with an ankle injury which is a worry. Luke Hogan doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ttowncat

Walsh park. Horrendous wet and underfoot conditions. We played with wind 1st half. 2 pts down at ht. We are not good. Mikey butler gone off early with what looked like a twist to his foot somewhere. Lyng visibly annoyed and frustrated with how we play. We have no idea of how to play the football influenced teams. We are so stagnant. We turn left when we should turn right. We pass lateral in our own half and penetrate nowhere. Football teams must love playing us. T walsh getting a little roasted. John d didn't touch a ball for 30 mins but popped with 2 pts in last 5 mins. Mossy is prob gonna start champ. He does win ball. Can turn his man. May score.... mullen is still class. Tj doing his bit. Eoin cody some good scores but some blind alley stuff too. Hard to really judge anyone individually with the conditons and they do look heavy legged some of them.

When we have to try work is out from back, nobody makes a real run,dummy run, cut back run, through ball run. Whereas waterford if a back takes a ball and finds himself at a dead end at his 45 flag then he knows to turn back for a lad running by, or a midielder sweeping back, or that if he carries it in there will be a lad who has made a diagonal run from the middle further up his own sideline that the back can put a through ball in front of. We very rarely look that coached or intelligent.

Edit. I dunno who in full forward is scoring. They have 3 green helmets!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ttowncat

M carey limped off. The pitch cinditions are wicked. We need to forget about the hurling and get out of here with no more injuries. Miylan gone on. K blanch on for butler earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Got the win. Not sure what else you can take from the game in those conditions, relentless rain and pitch was nearly unplayable in places towards the end.

I'd feel sorry for the Waterford fans watching those Davy tactics they deserve better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Shocking conditions. Fair play to the players for "digging" deep.

Advertisement