Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn international fixtures released

• 14-03-2024 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

8:10pm on a Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

Friday night rugby - not great for anyone outside the M50 but it might make getting tickets easier for those that can get to it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big pile of meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm curious to see any improvement with the wallabies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Excellent news for the local hotels.

Or, drive up, park, see match, quick pint (for non-drivers natch) & home to Cork at 1:30am (or Galway at 1:15am) handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

When are tickets on general sale for those games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Prefer to drive 250km each way and not pay 400 -500 for a room for the NZ game. Might at a push apply for the oz game but honestly I doubt it as they are shite. Alot I know now are picking a T14 game over the season when flights are reasonable making a weekend away in France at a similar cost and a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

That is the most sensible thing I've heard re following int rugby.

Nice trip to toulon in early November would he nice

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Anywhere in France that has a club and airport near is good. Especially small towns teams like brive where rugby is king and there will be a real GAA like buzz of another team coming to town. I personally enjoy my AIL club and following connacht. Just like the local stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Think I'll just stick with the all blacks XV game in thomond. At least there'll be an atmosphere at that.

• Advertisement

I never considered one, might think about LaR or Clermont, like both clubs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not easy to get tickets for either I reckon but well worth the trip.

You could do something like Toulon v Toulouse in Marseille next month, 40 euro return flights from Dublin or Shannon, tickets from 20 euros

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The 8:10pm on a Friday’s an odd one. Can’t recall Ireland having played at home on a Friday in recent times?

These games don’t currently have a broadcast deal so I’m surprised the IRFU went ahead and announced KO times before that was sorted - afaik none of the other Six Nations Unions have yet.(Rumours, but nothing concrete, of TNT Sports being the front runner, but they’ve broadcast very little international rugby - some Scotland games a good few years ago I think being the only example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Maybe don’t stay in a 500 euro hotel?

I’m just spitballing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is usually a special train to Limerick (not sure if you live in the city)

I tried staying the night of the Welsh match and it was 100e for a bed in a hostel dorm in Dublin. So good luck finding a budget hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

I would have thought that with the total lack of away fans, the November internationals wouldn’t see the same spike in hotel rooms. Fair few Welsh fans driving up accommodation prices.

that said, even at 200 double b&b, plus say e250 for a pair of tickets, that’s an expensive start to attending a game.

What weekend of the year can you get a "cheapish" hotel in Dublin anymore.

We regularly stayed over the evening before or the night of a match, not so much anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just checked on Booking. Com. 200 euro for a budget hotel. A night!!!

God only knows how much the match tickets will be.

Not going to happen. It looks like TV on. Roaring fire. A glass or two of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Big concerts absolutely wipe out the Dublin hotel capacity too.

Was almost impossible to get a hotel for Springsteen and there are trains running for concerts now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ideal world, Saturday evening fixtures somewhere from 5 pm onwards

The smart money here is on the Fiji match. Tickets will be easy to come by, cheaper, bring your kids if you have them and get to see Fiji do their stuff.

I just hope fiji are in a position to bring their best team and it could be a cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Night of the NZ game, you can book a double room in the Radisson St Helen’s for less than 200 quid.

That’s a five star hotel, very accessible to the stadium and it took me thirty seconds to find.

Yeah options are available if you go away from town rather than towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

200 euro a night. One night?

Aside from it being just under €200 a night (is that cheap) what happens to the price when lets say ~10k start looking at staying over?

1. i agree, that was my exact original point. €200 double b and b is an expensive start to weekend, along with tickets more than e100 each.
    2. you can always book now and avail of booking.com’s generous cancellation policy.

Scotland’s fixtures now confirmed, also with pretty unorthodox kick off times:

v Fiji 2/11 at 5:40pm

v South Africa 10/11 at 4:10pm

v Portugal 16/11 at 3:10pm

v Australia 24/11 at 1:40pm

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Why are start times not on the hour mark or the half hour mark - both Ireland and Scotland games. Makes no sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Maybe for TV stations. They don't need a 30 minute intro and can now start a programme on the hour half-hour and show the game 10 minutes later?

• Advertisement

That may be one aspect - overseas broadcasters who are taking only “whistle to whistle” coverage can start on the hour instead of :55 and have to fill the half hour before at least partially with shorts.

Maybe when it becomes clear who the new TV deal is with it might become more obvious.

Advertisement