Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

another mobilisation will have to be announced. I wonder how the middle class are going to like dying in a cold mud field.

What a great place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

this will be a historical photo one day after this mafia falls. This photo will be in every history book in every school to demonstrate how perverted was the meaning of human rights, democracy, freedom of speech etc. in nazi ruSSia. Putinbots, local ruSSia fascists, and their drunken idiot alcoholics love to refer to Ukraine as 404. I hope they suspect, its ruSSia who is becoming 404 fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say that their thinking hasn't changed since Putin invaded and they started seeing their assets being whittled away, but they are powerless to do anything about it. It's when the Silovicki start getting hurt financially that you might see something happening to Putin. Until then, Putin is well protected by layers of intermediaries whose health and wellbeing is directly linked to Putin's health and wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Even has the swastika on the front of the soldiers battle gear.

"We were just following orders".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

For those wondering what this Siloviki is .. Putins INNER CIRCLE - the security men around Putin, most of whom rose up through the ranks of the KGB as he did and have a hawkish, Cold War mindset.

Who are they? Article has picture an bio of each Siloviki member ( this article is from 2022 but I would say much has not changed )

With the "election" afoot .. interesting read

https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/91955

Eroding Consolidation: Putin’s Regime Ahead of the 2024 “Election”

While there is no doubt over the election’s outcome, the presidential campaign is already exposing the myth of complete consolidation around an irreplaceable president. Vladimir Putin may be winning in the short term, but he is strewing mines beneath the country’s future.

Interesting WHAT IF article describing what happens IF Putin leaves this world. The system in place in russia should this happen;

Should the 69-year-old die or otherwise leave office suddenly, the Federation Council has 14 days to call presidential elections, and if it does not, the Central Election Commission would.

In the meantime, Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin would become acting president. However, Mishustin is not seen as being particularly close to Putin, nor a credible candidate for any election.

Instead, Stanovaya believes Putin’s departure will leave a power vacuum between business interests, security officials such as Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu and other factions of the elite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Instead, Stanovaya believes Putin’s departure will leave a power vacuum between business interests, security officials such as Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu and other factions of the elite.

IE, a coup. Military or otherwise & it could get ugly in the absence of any powerful moderate voices these days.

@pixelburp And you would wonder IF A COUP from within the Siloviki most likely .. What would the attitude be toward the war in Ukraine? Same, worse or the new top person ( most likely man ) stops this war as could have a different mandate

As that article mentions:

According to reports in independent Russian media outlets, members of the Russian elite were surprised and felt anxious when Putin announced the Ukraine invasion on February 24, declaring the “special military operation” a necessary step.

.... Nevertheless, Putin’s refusal to acknowledge a link between economic woes and sanctions is reportedly alienating business-minded officials, while others criticise him for not waging war actively enough.

According to some reports, a few Kremlin insiders are quietly discussing who may come after Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yeah they might difficult to move… there is always a chance of sudden change but putin seems to have murdered an /or arrested everyone…..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just noticed the camera on the soldiers helmet too. So authorities are watching and recording everything in the vote centre.

The state is like a tightly screwed shut pickle jar. Which begs the question - Why bother with the sham elections at this stage?

They've gone a long way from what would be considered normal behaviour and legalised behaviour in a vote centre such as a country like Ireland where pictures are prohibited inside and posters have to be a certain distance from a centre.

No wonder Donald Trump loves Putin and his way of running a country. Any gobdaw with paid for guns and muscle can rule a country indefinitely then.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭scottser

The Fascists always loved a big spectacle. The election doesn't mean anything, but Putin's victory parade will be a useful propaganda tool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just as a total, slightly unrelated aside in light of Macron's change in approach and language: all this talk about the potential for French troops intervening in Ukraine had me curious... just how large was the French Armed Forces in the first place?

So a quick google later and the answer was: just shy of 200,000 active personnel, with ~120,000 in the army alone - the largest in the EU and about parity with the UK. Germany totalling about 183,000 and the UK itself about 200k. Poland a bit back with 120,000; none of those totals include reserve troops I should add.

In any case, that's insane: so in having only managed to invade a mere 20% of the entire country, Russia has seen the deaths of approx. 400,000 and the combined total of the EU's 2 largest armies; Wikipedia says Russia has 1.3 million (active vs. ~2 million reserve) so clearly their well is much deeper than Europe's but if this keeps up Putin will have sacrificed 50% of his country's active military personnel.

Sure, I get those numbers don't tell the deeper stories from country to country, but it also does put things into perspective at the same time. 400,000 was a gigantic number in the first place before stacked against comparable militaries.

"Wikipedia says Russia has 1.3 million (active vs. ~2 million reserve)" - the problem is, it was ruSSkies who submitted these numbers to Wikipedia. And can anyone in their sane mind believe what ruSSians are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

As regards the French, to be blunt the Foreign Legion provides a degree of flexibility to the country. Compared to the casualty aversion of other Western countries. Considering recent withdrawals of the French from parts of Western Africa, imagine they would be the unit of choice for any intervention.

In terms of Russian losses, think the number is less than 400,000. Still unimaginable for the Twenty first century. There's also the matter of materials. The Russia is going to run out of x by month blank articles are fairly careless journalism. The Russian are feeling the strain none the less. Attacking positions with Chinese golf carts and 1960s era armour is certainly not a good sign from their perspective.

Well I do say the numbers alone don't tell the deeper story (apparently the German military is in a bit of a shambles, even with such a high personnel number), but if we assume the numbers are exaggerated like you say, then it makes the 400k of deaths even more insane, not less. The 2 million reservists itself feels kinda ludicrous, and maybe they're just counting any able-bodied man from 18-25 or something silly like that. And certainly we've seen how Putin has struggled to mobilise the country without a mass exodus or dipping into the middle class and urban centres.

2M reservists figure was dreamt up by Konoshenkov, Shoigu, or maybe Solovyev. 400k casualities are reported by Ukraine but a number not that far off confirmed by other sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭zv2

The Russian fiasco summed up in one video.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If Russia has 1.3m or whatever it is in the army, plus reserves, where the hell are they and why the hell were they sending prisoners, Napalese, Indians, auld lads, etc to Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Any decent sources for the latest Russian casualties?

When you compare this 'special operation' to any other war in recent decades, the numbers are off the scale - whether it's 200k/ 300k/ 400k (which I find hard to believe tbh)... the fact that you could have such a wide range - and that the range itself encompasses such massive losses - is unbelievable. Is there any war in living memory that has produced such numbers? Leaving aside that it's 'only' been two years.

A quick look at Wiki suggests the US and its allies 'only' suffered 282k casualties in 10 years in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

1.3 million what? Vodka drinking untrained people with an AK47 , the 2 million reserve would probably get their 2 weeks ak47 training before been dumped in a field somewhere.

id say a lot of the older generation would be capable or have experience, not the younger.

the first foreigners I saw come to Ireland was probably back in 2000, about 10 Ukrainian men were brought in the factory.

some of them were in Afghanistan , one was a mig mechanic, and all of them had driven tanks or some sort of vehicle and had been trained/ experience with weapons. I don’t imagine it’s like that nowadays.

Western armies , have lower numbers but are professional, have much better training , equipment and morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Worth remembering that it's only a fraction of the armed forces who are actually at the front line at any one time. There's also a huge logistical operation behind that which needs manning. Think of all the things that those on the front line might need and then think that none of that stuff spontaneously happens.

As for the Nepalese, Indians, auld lads etc., it's long appeared to be Putin's strategy to toss 'expendables' at the guns first and foremost, as their loss won't be so bitterly felt by the ordinary Russian people. I don't know precisely what state Russia's professional force is in, but it's got to have taken a battering over the last few years. They'll be looking to preserve whatever's left of that, plus keep the political backlash against the war to a minimum by not sacrificing the young men of the urban centres until no choice is left.

any sources that it isn't 400k? Real numbers will be known after war, but probably will never be known, since, again, it will be Ukraine counting dead nazi orcs on their land and ruSSia will be telling that nobody died there. they did the same with Afghanistan, way more people died and got injured than SU reported. Human lives mean absolutely nothing to rotten scum which is today's ruSSian society. Never did, never will.

again - in theory. Prigozhin's drive to Moscow indicated it could not be the case. Easy boarder crossings into ruSSia suggest the same. Remember - everything the world knows about 'mighty ruSSian army' is what they showed us in a form of cartoon drawings. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some of the variation in casualty figures is also down to what is the basis for 'Russian' losses... does it include Wagner group and the like, the Donbas ethnic Russian militia etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Citizens giving their votes in this sham

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement