Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They dobt have the players because in large parts of coubtry scottish union havent done enough to expand playing base beyond the traditional schools. Sport seen as one of fee paying schools etc. And nothing will change until they do more to qddress that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know how to feel about this competition where France basically can win it every year if they choose. It's a great boost for the lads but maybe sets unrealistic expectations (which the JWC will reset).

It's great to watch in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

When was the last time France won it?

The rugby is fantastic quality, I love watching young players. We can't invent over night having the population or structure the French have but we are competitive and playing exceptional rugby

If these players get the experience and move up to the full international team it is a bonus

The u20s, back in 2018. They've won all 3 JWCs since then. Other counties can't really compete with them in terms of game time, with 3 pro leagues and incentives to play JIFF players now rather than foreign journeymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

At the World Cup they have a squad of adults compared to the other U20 teams. Not much we can do about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Purist98

Sam Berman with the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We do very well at this age group. The players have done their best and acquitted themselves nicely. The coaching has been great, Carolan to Noel Mac to Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scotland are far more physical than our players so far. They don't look up to much in possession, but they're stopping Ireland getting beyond the gain line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Attacking lineout in 22 and mess it up. Rinse and repeat so far.

Great try. Avoided taking contact after winning the turnover and instead attack where all the space was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Shehal

Finally over! We had to score that but executed it very well

I'm convinced Jack Murphy will be starting for the senior team in SA.

So many Scottish handling errors. Feels like Ireland have had like 80% of possession and every time Scotland get the ball they give it back almost immediately.

We got smashed in the scrum by Scotland, that's a new f*cking low.

Robbie Deans for the Lions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭nerd69

Recent enough converts at front row. Think theres 3 good pros there eventually

It feels like if we scrummed against ourselves we'd still come second best at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭nerd69

Been a rough year for it alright. I have hugh hopes for usanov next year. Dan sheehan makes a big difference i think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Really struggling in the forwards, not sure why we made so many changes in the front row, poor selection.

Coffey looks very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Making very hard work of this. Doesn't look like there will be a big points win anyway.

• Advertisement

Ireland get out of jail there.

Scotland have mangled us up front. O'Connell and Edogbo are our big carriers in the pack and both have been blasted backwards consistently.

To be fair Scotland were 14-14 against Italy at half time last week before getting smashed 33-0 in the 2nd half, I feel if we score next the flood gates could start opening.

Where was this Scottish physicality previously?

Really interested in the tackle stats for the half. Scotland must be well over 100. You'd expect them to fatigue heavily in the second half, but so many hits have been dominant that it will have taken a lot out of Ireland as well.

Lol that pen to Scotland just sums up Ireland tonight, literally a carbon copy of the previous steal on Boyd. Make's a good run and absolutely ZERO players come in for support and Scotland turn over...that turn over was so easy the Scottish players was able to just casually pick it up with how little Irish players were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I would have thought that the tiring part of defending is constantly retreating behind the gainline then getting off the line again. They haven't really had to do much of that.

That's poor from Edogbo. Cleared a man that wasn't actually in the ruck and allowed Scotland a clear poach.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Not the best first half from Ireland. Not too many going well. I do like Ward, he looks a decent player

• Advertisement
Advertisement