Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

File sent to the DPP normally means stuff that file over there with the rest of the files… and let’s hope they forget about it. And if you think the level of immigration excluding Ukrainians hasn’t increased you’re obviously living in a different part of this country , maybe black rock, foxrock, enniskerry, delganey or greystones. Those of us residing in “the cheap seats” are seeing a very different picture l can assure you….

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And a lot of stories being spread like wildfore about what refugees supposedly did never actually happened. I've heard about a spiking that never happened. I've heard the criminality went through the roof when the DP centre opened. Never happened. There's a lot of this. Fake story in celbridge last week. Fight in wicklow last year that turned out to be all the locals. Fake story last year about an assault in Finglas. Fake story about an assault in Dungarvan.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not really. Higher value land is rarely going to have warehouses on it and if they did they'd be being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So you don't feel any remorse or guilt supporting policies and supporting a government that leaves supposedly vulnerable people lying in tents in freezing conditions, living in their own filth, urine excrement and riddled with disease.

As I said no court appearances yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tent city is a legacy of Roderic O'Gorman and Leo Varadkar.

• Advertisement

O Gorman seems to be your hero not mine, unless you're throwing him under the bus now like the rest.

Irish airports and ports would be start,wouldn't you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm no fan of O Gorman or the Greens.

That's your plan? 'Close' the ports and airports and let anyone who wants to stroll across the border. They might not even be, heaven forbid, 'vetted'!

Call yourselves anti-immigration, what a joke.

Build that wall! Build that wall! Build that wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No it's not a Rose tinted view. All these stories were circulated and didn't happen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

You are putting the cart before the horse, first we need a fast track system to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Up to 85% of migrants coming to this country & claiming refugee status (not including Ukrainian) are NOT refugees as they claim but illegal migrants who are playing the system. They should be weeded out and booted out ASAP. Then the minority who are genuine cases could be easily housed, watered & fed.

There should be a detention centre set up to hold those who destroy their passports and all other ID - once their true identity is established a one way ticket home awaits them.

The word is out for some time now that Ireland is the no. 1 destination & a haven for illegal migrants and once in this country they have a better chance of winning the Euro Millions Lotto two weeks in a row than be deported.

That's thanks partly to our present excuse for a Taoiseach aided and abetted by a spineless Minister for Justice. Over the last few years Varadker availed of every opportunity when abroad to let the world know that Ireland is open to all and that all comers would be welcome with open arms. Meanwhile our neighbours were doing everything in their power to stop illegal migrants and had / have plans to deport them to Rwanda and elsewhere.

The government is lately realising that their policy, or lack thereof, on migrants is not as popular as they thought with the ordinary working man/woman - in other words they are set for a kicking in the coming elections. The result of the recent referendum made them sit up and take notice - but it's a bit late in the day now to start listening to and taking on board the opinions of the taxpayer who after all is paying for all this.

If Sinn Féin want to be part of the next government they better change their stance too on migrants or they'll end up back where they started.

• Advertisement

I’m referring to one story, mine… which l know to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not a peep from the leftists on the thread about an illegal African migrant threatening to murder an Irish born citizen.

That guy should be deported out of here to whatever tin pot country he crawled out of but we all know that won't happen.

Wonder what Nick Henderson, Bacik, Cairns, O Riordain and the other do gooders think of this.

My plan lol. Why should I worry about a plan, I wasn't the one who made or supported this mess. I posted about what was going to happen on here and suffered plenty abuse like racist, right wing etc like alot of others. The people who made the mess and others on the hundreds of thousands wages and cushy pension will have to find a plan to sort this.

Your no fan of O Gorman yet seem to agree with his policies or explain exactly what you agree with.

That the best you do? how about trying to prove me wrong…go on…or at least try.

That’s some leap you made there, I never once even voted for any of the parties currently in power….why should I Feel guilty or remorseful?

So you're fine with an open border then?

What a weird position for someone supposedly anti-immigration.

NGO plant maybe.

Build that wall! Build that wall! Build that wall!

• Advertisement

Sorry if I misunderstood you but I thought you were producing figures about immigrants and employment s an example of how everything is working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

We've got to have radical change in this country. Mount street is such a disaster its almost comical.

I've never seen such bad governance. The country is being turned into a cesspit. The entire lot, both government and opposition, need to be turfed out.

The country has lost its sovereignty to an abuse of asylum rules cooked up in the 1950's after the holocaust to help people fleeing tanks and bombs. That needs to be shredded and new laws put in place to protect the Irish people. Its actually getting dangerous and ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No build freebies for all indefinitely. Sounds like your moto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Briandead response. Utterly. Give them nothing and theyll know like all the other safe havens they passed through to get here. They're not wanted because they're not genuine. Simples. O'Gorman really fooked up or was he intentionally inviting all the poor of the world here for freebies for some unknown outcome. Wouldn't know with those mad little greenies and their looney motivations.

A very questionable almost criminal act I'd say. Problem is ireland is last port of call on the edge of europe.

No, I think I clearly said that the amount of Ukraine refugees that arrived has undoubtedly caused issues. Issues like the IPAs currently living in tents, but I still think taking in Ukraine refugees was the right thing to do - albeit paying them benefits so much above what the other EU countries were offering was a mistake.

The figures about immigrants and employment are facts, if you want to dispute them by all means do so.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭BagofWeed

All this anti migrant stirring has resulted in a foreign student having been assaulted tonight. Hope some of ye are happy now. Rumour is worse but we will find out as the night goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fearne123

Yes, that might be true, but people tend to believe what they see with their own eyes.

It is indisputable that the sudden influx of Ukrainian refugees led to overstretched accommodation-, medical- and educational needs.

But our government wasn’t prepared for that and yet, they invited all and sundry before they actually attempted to remedy the disaster that was already obvious in a lot of sectors in any way - instead they just asked the public for accommodation and when that was limited, they rented hotels in order to get Ukrainians into the country, no matter what.

The knock-on effect for ISP applicants is obvious and it shows the government for what it really is: unprepared and constantly on the back foot!

And therefore some small towns/ communities that never experienced it before, now notice an unusual influx of “foreigners” that hang around small towns, with nothing to do, mainly occupying tourist accommodation permanently and having medical needs and educational needs (in cases of families).

Moreover, the normal Joe Soap would know that he is partly paying all the money that this unprepared and out-of-depth government seems to be keen on spending on this ongoing madness!

I mean, how many communities around the world would really accept similar circumstances so easily?

However, the current mess is solely the fault of the Irish government and I solely blame them for the current situation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Repro212

Away you and lie down in a dark room wi your weed. Incase you hadn't noticed, Ireland's experiencing seismic change. It's entirely natural for people to be worried and healthy to have a channel to discuss concerns. Any anger here is directed at the politicians who've created this mess and left the rest of us and future generations to deal with the consequences.

• Advertisement

What anti migrant stirrings are you referring too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement