Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

They're just moving them for st Patrick's day event, even though the yanks who are used to sanctuary cities probably wouldn't be surprised if they saw it. Maybe they want to keep them out of the headlines, I'm not sure but they will probably move back next week.

Who knows Roderic might have a new vision for Dublin mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why doesn't the government just pay these men 2,000 euro to leave the State and agree not to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sense some of the Ukrainians s/w payments have stoped being paid into bank a/c they are having to collect their s/w every week in the post office .A good % are moving back home they are even attending s/w offices demanding payment to repatriate ,they probably will get it as well ,this country is gone bananas firing out s/s to every TomDick and Harry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They were sent up the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere with 1 filthy dirty disgusting toilet for 120 people. They were correct to leave. Shameful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What are you on about?

When they arrived there was no sanitation and 1 filthy disgusting dirty toilet for 120 people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

This is already an option..

“You can contact us and we may assist you with the travel costs, financial help and the administrative support to get you ready for your journey.”

Though if they did happen to return and claim protection again they couldn’t be barred from entry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What's "shameful" is how we got to this stage when it was clearly heading this way with levels of government incompetence that beggar belief. Not least handwringing idiots like O'Gorman handing out welcome mats and the virtuous crawthumpers and overstuffed "charities" egging him on. Even though he's admitted that 60% don't fit the criteria for refugees. Given a truth would strangle in his throat it's more like 90%.

One of the replies on that tweet reckons these economic migrants were safer **** on the streets. That's the level of naive cross eyed loon this country is dealing with. The same loons have been bleating about the "Far Right" boogeyman for years are going some way to creating one in this country. Then again they'd not seen the irony. Ideologues have an irony bypass fitted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This was a last minute optics driven decision.

Whoever had the power to make that decision with out doing any due diligence on the condition of the destination should be fired immediately.

It must have come right from the top of Government. I want to know.

Incompetent fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

If one perfectly acceptable plumbed bathroom for 120 people is a disgrace, then why go back up the streets where there is nothing; they are gong in the street? Could someone explain?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The Mont Street men should be assessed rapidly with no appeals permitted.

If they cannot prove they originate from an active warzone or prove clearly that they are a target oppression: rejected. If they previously claimed asylum in a safe country: rejected. If they destroyed their travel documents or broke the law in any other way en route: rejected.

I'd expect that under these reasonable criteria 99-100% would be rejected.

Those who are rejected are immediately and forcibly deported. If they refuse to identify themselves they are now criminals (if they weren't already). Hence, they should be jailed until they co-operate.

Ambassadors from the various mega-nations flooding this tiny island with their colonists should be called in to co-operate in this process. If they fail to do so satisfactorily, aid to these nations should be suspended, along with other punitive measures, until they do.

These people are not here out of desperation. They have other options. There is nothing neccessary, natural or inevitable about their presence.

And the Mont Street problem would be solved with a respectable deterrent put in place for the endless illegals waiting to replace them.

Well done Virgin media staff

The people were being attacked by violent far right gangs.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm surprised they didn't move them onto the old golf corse at Citywest hotel seeing as the hotel is already being used to house Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

It would hardly be ethical to target them just because they don't have a roof over their head and they are currently in the news. We don't need that sort of reactive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

What's Bernie's story- does she own a house with a garden? Surely the average 3 bed semi you could fit a dozen tents in the back garden.

Has she taken any in yet? She wants them she should get them. With 1000+ on the streets we're beyond the stage of Twitter outrage n baking some homemade bread Bernie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As was covered in depth here at the time of the interview, he did not say 60% are economic migrants. He said 60% didn't meet the criteria in that year.

Those are very different things but some people will hear what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Where did you get that I have plenty of room?

Doesn't seem you're too concerned with the truth of a matter in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

In the same way that being first up for communion or doing the stations of the cross after mass was a signal of virtue decades ago

Expressing endless compassion for " international protection applicants" and other hot button progressive issues is just a new version of guarenteed ways to earn public respectability without expending any personal capital

These people are insufferable snobs who live to intellectually and morally hoist themselves above the rest of us

Refugee crisis

Trans issues

Climate

All just vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

That looks like a newly created mess for a photo op...look how clean the wall and toilet are, throw some trash around empty bottles and some with piss in muddy the floor with dirty boots and .........oh the inhumanity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "Far Right" boogeyman. Check. 👍️ When a news agency is inserting itself into the narrative, it's not a news agency. They're making news, not reporting it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And why pray tell did they not "meet the criteria"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'd apply the same process to every Asylum Seeker in the country.

This would dissipate the influx almost overnight. An influx that is expensive, largely fraudulent, dangerous and destabilising to Irish society. Its acceptance is immoral.

It can't be emphasised enough: these people, in the overwhelming bulk of cases, are not fleeing danger, they are economic migrants. Hence, there should be no moral dilemma over their rejection and deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

Some years ago, a young Dublin TD suggested something similar to this. At that time the concern was persons who were "jobless foreigners" and availing of social welfare. Not residents of an embryonic favela.

He found himself in hot water over this suggestion. Varadkar, I think the guy was called.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/herald/tds-pay-jobless-foreigners-to-leave-proposal-slammed/27884369.html

In many ways we've exchanged one faith for another, along with its attendant shouting from the pulpit preachers, holier than thou narcissistic crawthumpers and faithful who cry blasphemy! at anything that contradicts their catechism. A catechism that is similarly and remarkably sensitive to critique and application of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

A lot of us pay good money to have a mountain view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Happy Saint Patrick’s day.

Remember now you stupid peasants, Saint Patrick came here as an unvetted migrant male.

Oh Leo Leo Leo…

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

At least the government still have some thought in their heads. Clearing that lot out for paddys day made sense.

But they should have taken all their phones. Or at least brought them to the back arse of westmeath.

You'd be back in town in a few hours walking from where they bussed them to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement