Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Hard to see the ‘real’ championship games coming up in 5 weeks time being much better…….does anyone know if the current ‘mis-management team’ was given a two or three year term……?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Ian OB

Two year term, hard to see anyone being interested in taking over in 11 weeks time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Bennett and Dessie looked very dangerous from the start and were 2v2 inside for most of the game yet we persisted in playing rugby around the middle third. Just hit the ball early into the forwards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

Wouldn't be too bothered about the league in general, but trying to play a short handpassing game based on running through the middle in those sorts of conditions sounds mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

In the time he's been in the job we keep getting worse. I'll be surprised if we win a game in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

trust me he wont change , it dosnt matter who the opposition is either , dont get me wrong it worked for us , but teams do video analysis on everything nowadays so you have to have a plan B or C , he's too stubborn to change

Another bad day on the football front

Seniors lost away to London 1-13-0-11

Under 20s beaten by Clare 0-13-0-06 in 1st Round of Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

Best thing ye can do now is get rid of Davy as the championship is only going one way for ye. The players look lost in processes and don’t seem to believe in what they are doing

• Advertisement

I don’t know how the players can ‘buy into’ his putrid ‘tactics/bollocks-ology’……..bringing him back was criminal…..Co board must just not have given a fcuk…….a blind man could c that this would end up in tears/regression……everybody’s prejudices about his re-appointment have been justified……..just need the nightmare to end now in 6/7 weeks time.

I'd love to know what in god's name the county board were thinking appointing him. He won't have been cheap either.

What would you estimate a year of ‘Davy’ would set you back…..€200,000……rumours are a local business person/group sponsored the ‘w@nker’…..some return on investment….won two/three matches in 18 months in league and championship and some of the games lost were absolutely embarrassing such as cork and Clare last year……someone from within the county surely at this stage has to be given a try…?

I suppose seen as the team only just got a sponsor and you still can't buy new kit, the board are showing a lot of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

your under 20s were very good up until an unfortunate 2nd yellow card your midfielder picked up with 15 minutes to go we pulled away with 4 points after that it was 0-9 -0-6 at the time and waterford with the wind , conditions were terrible with the rain

i am impressed with the work ye do under age , but it never seems to come through , the senior footballer's lost 12 players form the panel i was told before the mcgrath cup game in january , its impossible to compete after that

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Unfortunately davys 60 player hurling panel/development squad with numerous footballers hanging around this extended panel and never ever getting game time or lets be honest genuinely good enough for senior inter county hurling has affected what small hope the senior footballers have of making any kind of progression and limiting the strength and depth of footballers panel.

U20 footballers played very well,were competitive until the sending off in the second half.

Davy fitz only cares about himself ultimately and not Waterford gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

whatever Davy has over the co board they seem to pander to him like some sort of messiah that were lucky to have. everyone could foresee this s**tshow coming and the low gate numbers speaks volumes. A decision that has set the county back years. The fact we can’t buy a win in our newly developed home ground is nothing short of embarrassing. Anyone saying it’s only the league need to come out of the light our eyes don’t lie and the championship is doomed before it’s began.

someone needs to be held accountable for this car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

The conditions were awful yesterday. I'd say Kilkenny fans made up at least half of the crowd. 2 Waterford players in the Kilkenny half of the field for most of the game with both teams short passing didn't make for great viewing.

Hard to see how we will improve for the championship to score enough to win games with those kind of tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Winning is a habit ! Unfortunately so is loosing & Waterford hurlers have developed this habit since Daveys arrived. Was at the game yesterday & it’s fair to say this team are only a shadow of the team that played for Liam Cahill . Davey has managed in 12 months to destroy the positive , free flowing , attacking brand of hurling of the previous 3 years. This team has lost its spirit & are clearly getting very frustrated as has been witnessed in recent games with players retaliating & getting involved in off the ball incidences. Yesterday we gave up 2 close in frees by retaliating. I firmly believe that Waterford have the talent to compete with the top teams however they need a coach that can inspire & motivate & deliver a game plan that matches the talent he has at his disposal. The County board need identify suitable candidates now & plan for replacing Davey ASAP 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

4 wins in 14 games. Wins against (league) Antrim, Laois and Offlay, (championship) Tipp.

People may say it's only the league. We're not a very well decorated county and winning breeds winning, I don't think we are the type of county that can just turn it on when we need too.

Looking at both league campaigns, advancing to a semi final was definately do-able in both campaigns.

A good run in both leagues would have been a financial boost and a moral boost heading into the championship but here we are all discussing and focusing on the negative as both campaigns have been brutal.

I still think our panel of players are still good enough to win both our Munster home games, and with their backs to the wall we would expect to see a big performance v Cork, but based on our performances to date and Davy's over thinking of the game, it gives me little hope.

Very few were happy with the reappointment (including me) and the only rational can be that the county board fully believed that the "Davy impact" of 18 months might be enough to get us over the line but if anything we now seem further away from an all Ireland.

Generally we see with Davy, players really buy into him for 12-24 months and then things go south.

As soon as Davy started speaking of taking 2-3 years to build a team and a plan, I even lost the little glimmer of hope that I might have had

We're gone from believing we can beat anyone with the exception of Limerick to now only getting wins over the "weaker" counties.

If we don't get out of Munster then this has been a serious **** show and the county board have seriously blown any chance that we have had left of winning an All Ireland.

Honestly starting to feel we will be here in 2059 discussing how it's been 100 years since we last won an all Ireland.

Depressing.

• Advertisement

The ‘Davy impact’ such absolute mythology……..biggest impact he has is a financial one…🤣 how a co board can be ‘hoodwinked’ by him for a second time is just astounding…..there has been absolutely no sign in any of those league games to suggest that things will be any different in six weeks time when things really matter……😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

As a Kilkenny man looking at it yesterday I thought when Waterford moved the ball quickly and a bit more direct in the first half they looked really dangerous. The players look over coached as if Davy's tactics have scared any natural instinct out of them which led to over carrying on 5/6 occasions easily. It was two on two in the full forward line for most of the 2nd half and no ball played into the them which seemed strange.

Walsh park is turning into a nice venue I thought new stands looked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The hard working Waterford players deserve better than this spoofer. How could you be hopeful for this year's championship based on the stupid tactics that we have seen Davy's teams using since he arrived? Like these will not change.

The Waterford Co Board should hang their heads in shame as they have left down these players. COME ON, SORT IT OUT.

Our county treasurer stepped down only weeks ago

BECAUSE OF DAVY FITZS OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING!!

A county treasurer who gave incredibly loyal service to Waterford Gaa over the years in various roles and a genuinely good man.

Munster County team expenditure 2023

Limerick 2.33m

Cork 1.995m

Tipperary 1.797m

Kerry 1.68m

Clare 1.37m

Waterford 1.2m

Granted we should be the lowest because we hardly won a game in anything, but the reality is inter County spending is out of control in general. It has shot up everywhere post Covid to reflect rising costs.

It's not a local phenomenon driven by Davy.

The treasurer stepped down due to Davys spending so far this season.

A senior hurling training weekend in Wexford that cost thousands that the treasurer was against.

Right, but if he held the same position in any other county do you think it would be different?

The costs in inter county are out of control generally. That is not down to any one inter County manager.

Absolutely in agreement about spiralling costs at inter county.

Not sustainable.

Treasurer was trying his best to keep Waterford gaa finances in order which is his role.

I can't speak for other counties as im not aware of their individual financial situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭914

I don't buy into Davy spending a fortune and blowing the budget, if that happens that is solely down to the county board.

A manager can ask for the sun, moon and stars and he can only get those of the board approve the spending.

When any manager is appointed there has to be some form of discuss, we have X budget for X team. The manager would say "to be successful I need to be able to do x,y and z", then it's down to the board to either accept or reject.

Davy will only put the boards finances in jeopardy if the board allow him to.

Leaving aside finances he is the wrong fit for this crop of players. Cahill's strategy was working and the new incoming manager needed to just add and Tweek to what we were doing rather than trying to reinvent everything.

Ultimately we will all know in about 10 weeks if we were all right or not. Five weeks to try and get things right and if we don't we'll **** it anyway, it will have proven to making a right balls of the appointment after Cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I don't think you can analyse the game yesterday very thoroughly as conditions were just too bad. So I'd be more inclined to look at the league as a whole.

Positives

• Didn't lose any game by more than a score. Though the margins of defeat increased as the campaign went on.
    • Some players have looked good. Jamie Barron and Calum Lyons would be the two that jump to mind though Shane Bennett deserves a mention. Before the head injury against Wexford Michael Kiely had been exceptional.
    • Sean Walsh scored goals in the first three games and looks like he could play a role in the championship. One person mentioned they think he may have picked up a knock which would help explain why he hasn't played since.
    • Paddy Leavy looked good when played in his natural midfield role.

Negatives

• The team set up. In the first half of the games against both Wexford and Kilkenny there was a clear attacking shape, however this was the exception. In the second half of both games all this shape was lost, certainly in the Wexford game it was deliberate as players were told in the dressing room to drop back as sweepers. For the most part we've had a turgid, negative set up and no clear idea of how to move the ball forward as we have nobody up there.
    • Relegation. And not just relegation but the manner of it, losing to all bar Offaly. That reduces the gates at games next year as well.
    • A lot of injuries. A lot of players will be going into the championship undercooked if they even feature. Stephen Bennett, Dessie, Kiely, Patrick Fitzgerald, Iarla Daly, Ian Kenny, Conor Prunty, Tadhg De Burca off the top of my head have played very little recently.
    • Aside from the system, the form of individual players is concerning. Some players look like they're second guessing everything they do and don't look comfortable because of it. I'd be thinking of Shaun O Brien and Neil Montgomery in particular.
    • I had suggested last week morale couldn't be good in the camp and as a poster here mentioned during the week there was a confrontation between management and at least some players. It seems to also have been caused by the treatment of a young player on the panel by management. One of the players leading it is currently on the injured list but I didn't see him there yesterday so I don't know if he's still on the panel after it.
    • There's a disconnect between the support and the team now. That has a few effects but one simple one was the small crowd yesterday brings in a lower income. In addition Murphy is a weak ref and with a big home crowd he is the sort that can be influenced. That didn't happen yesterday.

It's harder than ever to see where the switch can be flipped and for things to turn around. We did put in a better performance against Limerick last year than anything in the league but getting nothing from that seemed to have a huge affect. I'm trying to think if I have ever approached a championship with less hope than this one and I can't think of any.

Advertisement