Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Bad decision to rule out WHUs second goal.

2009! Wonder how much ££££ mysteriously appeared to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why? The rule is if it hits the player who scores the goals arm at all then the goal can’t be given.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why is this charlatan allowed say news from days ago is exclusive?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

United hot favourites for the league game now 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 29 Table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Forest escape with a only a 4 points deduction which will probably be reduced on appeal. The minimum was supposed to be 6 points so it's now a bit of a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

Although I suppose technically you could say a free was given. Just not to the player on the receiving end of the high foot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have to say this is impeccable timing especially considering which Pool player is involved 🤣

Sure as the experts said last week it is fine to kick someone in the chest 🤷‍♂️

Updated table after Forest points deduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Ah you have to laugh at this.... yer man kept asking for evidence and its funny that McAllister himself provided it in the very next game

It should have been a free kick to United Yes, Mac Alister was lucky as he was also on a Yellow Yes, All I am saying we have been told all week that it wasn't a foul last week for the same thing.

I’ve a feeling that 4 points won’t be appealed

How come Everton got 10 before their appeal? I thought it was the same offence.

Some of the explanation that’s been given, is that some of it relates to cooperation with the proceedings.

Ie. Forest were cooperative with the process and Everton weren’t basically

• Advertisement

Forest were over by twice the amount Everton were and get 4 points compared to Evertons initial ten points. Evertons related to stadium building but forest was on buying players. Doesn't seem to add up because forest gained a sporting advantage.

Forest’s mitigation was that they were balanced by the end of the transfer window, and that it made sense to delay the Brennan Johnson deal until later in the window because they felt theyd get more for him then.

Not sure if they’re thinking they can include Brennan Johnson’s fee in this years accounts also though. They probably do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

The whole thing is too much of a grey area, should be X amount of points deducted for every X amount of clubs have overspent, black & white.

Don’t think that would stand up in a court (where these cases ultimately go if required)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I get it, but Everton were deducted 10, reduced to 6 for an overspend of 19 million. Forest were deducted 4 points for an overspend of 62?? That’s a lot of scope?

I get Forest are arguing over the Brennan Johnson sale being delayed that they want that factored in, but still.

I’m not really defending the decision (I suspect the picture is far too big for a casual outsider to properly comprehend).

But the logic will have been that Forest made moves to make themselves compliant, whereas Everton just accepted they weren’t going to be, and didn’t sell a Brennan Johnson. Mitigation seems to be a thing in these cases (which it would be in any court case in fairness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Masters will be sacked in the next 6 months, ther is no logic to the punishments dished out , stopping 'smaller clubs' been ambitious and trying to compete - whilst ring fencing the big 6. A PR farce , that will fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Forest did get a 6 point deduction, but 2 were removed again for mitigation. That mitigation was for actually being compliant in the investigation, something which suggests that Everton were were not. Forest actually accepted that they were in breach of PSR too, to the correct amount. Everton are haggling over blaming stadium costs for breaching PSR when stadium costs are excluded from PSR.

Everton having an overspend of £19m is the biggest myth being peddled. It was an overspend of £125m for the 3 year period. There is a risk that Everton will still be in an overspend for the next 3 year period. So they didn't learn their lesson and continued to flaunt the rules.

Forest had an overspend of £95m over the 3 year period. This is actually lower than Everton but because Forest were in the Championship, there is a lower allowance allowed before the threshold is met (£61m v £105m). Forest claim that they will not have an overspend for the next 3 year period and that it was a once off. Which suggests that they learned from their mistakes.

They broke the rules so both clubs should just accept their punishment. If anything, maybe 6 points deductions is not enough as I have seen come comments on social media today from fans of other clubs saying that they should just go and spend £350m on new players as 6 points is worth the risk as it is only 2 wins. A team wanting to get into Europe or CL places can absorb 2 wins over the course of 38 games. So 6 points might not be a strong enough deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Posted in Everton form....also remember Forest got a 6 point reduction based on Everton's appeal and setting the new standard and 2pts reduced for fully co operating, which seemingly Everton didn't do? I think, because of this this is less chace of a pts reduction for Forest, unless we argue some other point on the Johnson timing, communication with the PL

from Everton forum.....

In a way we are in this together, but you also need to be careful what you wish for Forest, as of your second charge is up next week...

You have to remember Forest had 44m less than everyone else in the PL, and a squad worth pittens as a starting point.

We spent in January knowing we would need to sell by end of June to balance the books, then delayed the Jonson sale to maximise profits (funnily enough), so we were only breaking the rules for 3 months and this was supposedly discussed with PL.

Things that should worry Everton though from the Forest decision are as follows....

PL wanted to give us 8 points when the punishment for insolvency is 9. Part of Everton's mitigation and reduction to 6, and probably helped Forest.

Reports Everton's second breach is between 50m to 80m. I don't know if this is true or not? And you continued to spend in the third year, when you could tried to rebalance?

And finally,....

So Everton's appeal probably helped Forest in a way and you really want Forest punishment to be as low as possible as your back up again?

• Advertisement

Chelsea & Man City next. Hopefully they get the big punishments.

Chelsea will get hit hard by UEFA if they qualify for Europe next season. UEFA have a much lower allowance for overspend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If Forest end up getting relegated how do the rules of the EFL apply?

I seem to remember they had a massive loss the year of their promotion to the Premier League, with the promotion meaning they couldn't be punished for it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they'd have to win the FA Cup, it would be a major surprise if they beat City in the semis.

They have 2 games in hand on 7th place West Ham, with 5 points separating them.

I think 7th place can get European football because Liverpool won the league cup and so their Europa Conference League place will be passed down as they will likely qualify for the CL through their own league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fair enough, I didn't think they were that close. 7th is quite likely to get Europa League as the PL has a good chance of getting a 5th CL spot.

In that case (assuming City or United win the FA Cup), 6th and 7th will get EL, and 8th will get ECL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

chelsea will surely have a problem this summer. lots of players on long contracts they wont be able to move on. reece james is a crock. conor gallagher will prob go, aside from that unsure who they sell.

Don't worry it's only Forest and Everton that will be Punished...They are already talking about the rules changing next season...And sure we all know know 4pts is the max penalty now...if you co-operate, based on Everton and Forest Mitigations and the 9pt limit for Administration (I think they'll have to increase this!!)?

Here is the Forest points deduction breakdown

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/how-nottingham-forest-points-deduction-9174055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nobody ever seems to get that these clubs have billions backing them when required. They'll fight it tooth and nail and spend countless hours, days, months and even years to stop this happening. They'll keep.it going until their opponent starts to run out of money or lose. Then they'll offer to pay all their costs so they get all their money back so long as they drop the cases against them.

I'll be surprised if there's any other outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Forest had a massive cheek saying in their hearing that Everton delayed the hearing so they wouldn't get a points deduction last season which would have relegated them..... and how they're great lads for cooperating. Utter bollix. Everton were only charged last March and the PL themselves said there wasn't enough time between then and the end of the season to prepares a case and go thru any appeal that season which is why they did it in January this year. 

They sold Brennan Johnson at the end of the window instead of at the start, played him in 3 PL games this season. Everton could have done that with Richarlisson and also gotten more for him but didn't.....but Forest take the moral high ground?!?

• Advertisement

Jesus, what do you expect Forest to do!!!..... go in and say.... you know what you gave Everton 6pts, please give us 8pts thanks, and we will be on our way!!

We already co-operated to the fullest extent, and Forest started 44 million less allowance than almost every other team in the premier league and had to build from a lower base. (The Rules are changing also next year).

Why not use everything we can as mitigation in our defence the the fullest extent? If we didn't it would just be incompetent on our side.

And Everton have been shown to have NOT co-operated fully with the commission...Hence we started at 6pts like Everton and got a reduction of 2pts.

(Not having a go at Everton here, just using their deduction and process as an example)

Extract:-

"The Commission found that the club had demonstrated “exceptional cooperation” in its dealings with the Premier League throughout the process.

Premier League clubs are permitted a maximum loss of £105m across a rolling three-year period, or £35m each season. For promoted teams that is reduced, meaning Forest were restricted to losses of £61m for the last three campaigns - £13m for the two seasons in the Championship prior to promotion, plus £35m last season."

At least we are there, unlike other teams, who have been in the courts for years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Divide their purchases by the length of each contract they gave and their homegrown players count for 100% of their sale price. I think they'll be okay but do have to have sales every year to make it work.

Let's see if clubs are willing to help Chelsea like Man Utd were last summer.

Conor Gallagher the obvious one to look at this summer coming. Colwill might not have the same market he did last year and Reece James should really be sold if they can find a buyer. But I don't think they will sell 2 of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Colwill and James are on big money long term deals too, until 2029 and 2028 respectively, so it’s hard to see anyone paying the fees and matching the terms required to get them out the door.

Those forever-contracts are gonna cause so many problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I doubt Todd Boehly cares about potential UEFA sanctions for Chelsea in the short term. A transfer ban won't really affect the club if they have already hoovered up a squad of talented young players. At the end of any such punishment, they'll still have the same talented players that will have matured together and the club will be confident of them being in a position to challenge for trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I have an issue with your first and second paragraphs. Almost everybody in the PL has lost over £105m in the last 3 years (Manchester United for example, with the biggest income in the PL, have reported losses totaling £236.4m in the last 3 years without failing PSR). Things got discounted for them, things got discounted for Everton, and things got discounted for everybody else. As for continuing to flaunt the rules, Everton have a net spend on transfers better than MINUS £60m in the last 2 years and has the 3rd lowest spend of all current Prem clubs (and also lower than some championship clubs) over the last 5 years - Wages have dropped massively as the squad has been decimated compared to what it looked like 3/4 years ago.

And as for your first paragraph. Stadium costs were excluded but interest payments on the financing was not. Furthermore, the Everton ruling did not state Everton were not cooperative. It actually said the opposite and went on to totally contradict the position whereby Forest got 2 points reduced for their cooperation, as follows:

"The Appeal Board identified that cooperation with the PL is not by itself a mitigating factor that provides for any reduction in, or lesser sanction being imposed for, a breach of the PSR. The Appeal Board noted that as the PL operates as a joint venture – with each PL club being a shareholder of the FA Premier League Limited, agreeing to be bound by rules and regulations and distributing profits – the cost of enforcement of the PSR against one club falls on all the clubs by reducing money available for distribution.[4] Moreover, each PL club agrees to an expected standard level of behaviour, cooperation and reporting requirements.[5] Mere compliance with those agreed working principles is to be expected, and only cooperation ‘over and above’ that expected cooperation could possibly amount to a mitigating factor.[6] In practice, it is difficult to envisage what cooperation could reach that level".

• Advertisement

Not fully understanding how Richarlison came into this. My understanding was that selling Richarlison didn’t make Everton compliant. Am I wrong on this?

Ultimately clubs are gonna be focused more on whether signings can properly improve them (and potentially at a discount), rather than whether Chelsea get a likely 4-6 point deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Specific players can be hard to show how much they cost, as transfer fees and wages are factored in. With Lukaku, there has been loan fees incoming too, but I'm not sure what the story with wages is - did Inter pay his wages and are Roma now or is a percentage?

He cost €115m, to be depreciated out over his 5 year contract. So his current book value is €45m. For arguments sake, lets say that his wages and loan fees cancel each other out. Chelsea will need to sell him for greater than €45m just to report his sale as profit towards PSR.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So doku wasn't clear and obvious but a five minute var check for a handball that they couldn't be sure was deliberate is enough to be checked.

They can't make their minds up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement