Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,750 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Funnily enough I’m not devastated like at losing a game . We have a trophy in the bag , going well in the EPL and EL .

happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Definitely, Bobby is an excellent example.

He didn't just think " The ball went to you so my job is done".

He would think about the ball being on the ground, slightly on front of you, firm enough that you didn't need that extra touch etc.

That bit still needs a bit of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Gakpo is crap, let's call a spade a spade, he is well over 6 foot and does not use his size either, too timid, get rid of him in summer, Diaz too has no end product, how many chances did he fluff against city and again today, mane was way better than him, horrible to lose that game to that lot, complacency set in but we should have still scored more in second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

When i saw the team sheet vs city last week I never wouldn’t have expected one of seasons best performances and yet today with a stronger 11 on paper we put in one of worst. Once Szobo and Salah went off we were offered nothing and the last 2 goals for united so sloppy it’s unreal.

Conceding late in normal time and so late in extra time to united should sting a lot more but to honest challenging across all 4 fronts is virtually impossible and why it’s never been done. They can’t be all fairytale ending like vs Chelsea or Forrest recently, that team were gassed from 70th mark.

I had a bad feeling that being forced Salah playing 90 on Thursday was bad news for his minutes today because as wasteful as he was before coming off , Gapko was totally level of bad. That 5 on 2 was a kinda wastefulness you see teams paying the price for missing time and again.

Something about this game and game of anfield is united for long spells are awful with zero intensity that it seems to spill over into our players who levels drop as well. It’s baffling how we played against them twice now and been so underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

' NEver give a sucker an even break '

This saying is so accurate, and I had it going through my head from midway through the second half.

Cocky performance, this might just focus us for the forthcoming weeks, might be a kick we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭M3CS

This is something that I ask myself every single time I watch him play. He is excellent at dribbling and incredibly fast but I feel like 90% of the time he has the ball in or around the box he just runs straight into a defender and loses possession. Takes two or three touches too many instead of passing. Poor decision making in the final third. Not clinical in front of goal.

When he's running down the wing with the ball I don't ever really feel that a goal or even a decent chance is about to happen, I just expect him to run straight into a couple of defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Same as..it's quite cathartic

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and smash something but I'm cool with that once we get a proper reaction in 3 weeks time. I would have swapped that match for 3 points anyway

I'll be a bag of nerves for the next one there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

there was no way we were going to win the quadruple with the injuries we have, this was the least important one. Yeah it's not great to lose to UTD when the game should have been put away in extra time but I think we'll benefit from not having to field a team for a FA semi in a few weeks time when focus should be on PL and EL.

City will also have two tougher games now also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Big difference last week tho, was Elliot playing wide left for Salah. He was exceptional, brilliant defensively, closed a lot of space and offered a threat going forward.

Whereas Salah offered absolutely nothing defensively today and anytime UTD offered a threat to us, it was no surprise it was down that wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gakpo minutes per goal, 177

Diaz minutes per goal 247

Nunez minutes per goal 145

Salah minutes per goal 109

Diaz is the one playing in Mane's position, and the one most wasteful.

Gakpo was never a goal scorer at any point in his life, so a return of 13 so far is impressive .. considering his minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Exactly. He drives me nuts. We should get a few quid for him in the summer if we want. There must be better out there in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

That accidental playing Salah fir 90 mins against Porto was madness

Ya totally agree. Gomez/Salah combo were leaving huge spaces while Bradley and Elliot were outstanding doubling up last week.

All that being said there no much you can when Nunez and Endo/elliot make sure errors. United punished us on our corner 2 on 1 and we couldn’t even finish 5 on 2 .

All this talk of treble and Quad has been doing my head in because winning another trophy alone would be a incredible achievement, talk of winning 3 or 4 is beyond ridiculous given how hard the league is to win and how hard a draw in the Far Cup with Arsenal and United alone before semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Annoyed at the way we lost it but if we beat them in the league then no one remembers this match. Break now and they reset for the last 10 league games and Europa league. Plenty to play for and in fairness the fa cup was the least of our priorities. Onwards and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Unfortunately United were superior today. Probably not good enough from Klopp.

Klopp taking off Salah and Sobo was key ,we handed the momentum to United at a point in the game that we were all over them , it was frustration I think on Klopps part who was having a canary on the touchline over bad decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We'll only know if the FA Cup was something to be really angry about when we get to the end of the season.

If we only have a League Cup, I'll be livid.

If we've the League, then fúck it. Small price to pay.

No way you can watch that game and say united were superior for anything other the first 20mins. They were shockingly poor for first 25mins of 2nd half and countless poor balls and wasting 5 on 2 chances cost us very dearly.

That Nunez error and Endo/elliot mixup gifted them 2 goals we absolutely undone ourselves which is almost worse.

When I read the comments in the united thread it they seems more happier to have stopped us winning another trophy this season than anything else. I didn’t realise just how tough they’ve found it watching on while we compete on all front. It’s wasn’t to be today.

UEFA and Prem are priority and as long as we don’t repeat those awful mistakes in the league there in afew weeks the Quarter final game will be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

All about lack of have management today. At no stage did I think that we had this game won. I don't think I've watched a more frustrating 45 minutes than the 2nd half today. So clearly better against a team that genuinely seemed to be waiting for the final nail in the coffin. Sets the league match up as another exhausting epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Totally correct but we might not get near the league for another few years

You gotta go for it big style. We probably would have drawn City in the semi..

Worrying news from Klopp that that Diaz felt a groin injury and Gapko twisted his ankle but real concern was he said Nunez felt his hamstring “but nothing bad”. Said the same about Konate and weeks later he’s still not back

If we lost today fair enough but more injuries as likes of Nunez were forced to play 120mins after playing on Thursday would be a disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hoping they will miss any international duty and be fresh for the league return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully it's just an excuse to avoid international injury duty

Hopefully it's the same injury that De Bruyne has!!! And Konate has been only out just over a week and I reckoned if today was a final/defining league game then Konate plays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Gapko got his foot caught in the ground when tackled late on.

Look at the expected goals. You scored from a deflection in ET. We were far better today and it's a dent in Klopps final season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Look on the plus side no more game to fit into a packed schedule

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Expected Goals - whenever I see or hear that mentioned - by anyone - I auto tune out.

It's the most ridiculous thing in football.

• Advertisement

The game missed the decisiveness of a Jota, a Trent, A Jones. And some Rocky gifs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good one, gotta love a bad attempt at sh1t stirring. Hang up the spoon now.

So ye won the "dent in Klopps final season" trophy today? 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd say Ten Hag's final season has far more dents in it to be fair.

Just stating that we were better today. If you didn't want to win today then fair. But you definitely weren't unlucky.

Hopefully he gets a contract extension. Today's game might keep him in a job a bit longer - every cloud and all that.

Klopp is gone soon too so hopefully it will be Gerrard next.

Ah c'mon Frank,you can surely do better than that if u are trying to get a rise out of us🤔😀🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not unlucky.

But we were arrogant and incapable of stepping on the neck of a team that was awful for most of the game, and was begging to be put out of its misery.

• Advertisement

Nah , united were awful . Liverpool competing on 4 fronts took its toll today and silly mistake costs us. It’s been a season united fans would kill so far so long may it continue that united best efforts in a season are trying to put a dent in Liverpool trophy haul.

Loving united fans foaming at the mouth about Klopp lost a game than enjoying the victory themselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You're not very good at this stirring.

Most of us here are pretty content with where our club has been over the last few years and this year.

Get back to us if you somehow manage to catch up over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

United fans are so easily satisfied, I mean they still have the same owners as before and just added a billionaire not willing to pay his taxes in the UK - because he has paid a lot so now wants to live tax free in Monaco - and is apparently looking for a government handout to build them a new stadium. That is all it took to placate them, I would have expected them to get up for the protests for the one time a year that we usually visit. Maybe it will be the PL match when the scarves will be out again and the plans to block our team buses will be in action again - which by the way is not a great way to protest your own owners, you screw your own team to show your displeasure of them. Funny that they only ever got up for it really in a big degree for our matches and their protests was only ever hurting us, and not their owners.

But enjoy your victory today, you played well and got the luck going your way. That is not a slight, had we won we would have counted two deflected goals going for us. We will go and focus on what really matters now, the league and hopefully add a European trophy, good luck in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Beaten by the better team on the day we have to admit that. Two big deflections on our goals and in fairness their goals were pretty good. Although we allowed Antony, one of the worst players i've seen, the time and space to swivel and score a nice goal. Although second half we should have killed it off. Very disappointing really given it would have been a semi final against Coventry in the next round.

Unfortunately for you guys, Klopp is going. Apparently United can't celebrate a win because you didn't want to win another cup. I suppose no one was happy when you went 3.2 up.

And we were better today overall.

• Advertisement

This is very distasteful: https://x.com/RichALWilliams/status/1769434463446954210?s=20

Don't think ETH said anything like this when we lost heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Was this more or less distasteful than what your fans were singing in the stadium today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very frustrating match, a game we threw away. We started poorly, but, looked at half time we were back on track. The second half was really frustrating, there was a 10-15 minute period where we were completely dominant, United hardly touched the ball and looked like they'd given up, but, we butchered so many chances, yet, didn't really force many saves. We were way too casual and had no urgency, just knew United would get a chance to level it. Really poor goals to concede and the winning goal even though he took it well, why did we just leave Bradley back on his own.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call and we don't see this kind of complacency for the remainder of the season. It's sickening to lose to them especially in the manner we did. Roy Keane was right when he said we somehow found a way to lose that match. As I said earlier I hate playing United, they have a knack of winning matches where they are completely outplayed, did the same to Everton last weekend. The important thing now is to beat them in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement