Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

I think a good summation of where we are atm at 10....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I dont agree with the person comments but trying to make out they are Harry is just pointless.

Playing Harry Byrne in one game might have been a bonus for Ireland as they see him as number 2 based on this championship and getting selected for the NZ tour etc, but personally I think the best decision was to play Crowley from start to finish due to the number of caps he has and the lack of playing time he has with other players

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I still reckon Ross Byrne is #2, and would have featured more in this year's 6N if he weren't injured. That will be the state of play for remainder of Catt's tenure as attack coach at least. Time will tell if Prendergast develops to the point of shaking up that order. Harry might match Crowley's athletic profile more closely, and therefore slot more seamlessly into a system built around Crowley, but Ross is by far the superior out half.

It would have been great to see what the plan was to integrate both Ross and Crowley into a common attacking system now that the camp is moving on from the Sexton era. They are different enough as players for this to be an intriguing problem to solve.

(Also, it seems to have shut him up, so "pointless" may not have been a fair comment on your part!)

Prendergast looks at the moment to have the ingredients of a natural modern international 10 and if he can get enough game-time and bulk a bit next years 6 nations may be time to try him out. He looks to have the highest ceiling of any of them at the moment. Think we have seen enough of Crowley this year to understand he has work to do so would like Harry to get a run v the Saffers and try and play a more Sexton esq flat to the line game. At least then we know where we sit before Prendergast gets a look in. Like Ross Bryne but he'a a different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Prendergast needs good bit more game time and in big games to be considered. I dont see how harry byrne is ahead for the springboks in the summer and i dont see why we have to play sexton esq game. Hes gone and we've moved on

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

It's pointless trying to make sense of that poster's opinions on the 10s - their continued obsession with trying to insist that Crowley doesn't take the ball to the line shows they either don't really understand what they're talking about, or are just arguing in bad faith.

Have a watch back of the Scotland game and watch Crowley......receive, step sideways and drag a pass back. No threat at all and Aki bailed him out time and time again with a huge carry . We have a major issue at 10 and it's why we have been so poor this 6 nations French game aside but beginning to wonder was that just a blip in terms of the French not showing up that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭50HX

You really don't like Crowley do you?

It says alot that you think Prendergast should get a run at international 10 when his own club don't select him there for the big champion Cup games

But sure let's all ignore that & jettison him into international 10 & go against the current plan of weaning him into top level rugby. He will develop but even physically he's behind Crowley.

Have a look at the games he's started this season & it says alot & that's with Leinsters #1 out half injured for 3-4months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's one of the weirder takes on here at the moment...

Just don't rate him, nothing more than that and wondering how much of the support on here for him is just provincial nonsense as it clearly had little basis in actual rugby analysis. Not expecting Prendergast to get a run until at least the 6 nations next year if he has had decent exposure at Leinster in the meantime so I don't think he should have had a run now, clearly isn't ready.

We can all pretend otherwise but post Sexton we have trouble at 10 and no amount of wishful thinking about Crowley will fix that. He might turn it around and if so fantastic.

If you think otherwise great, genuinely hope he proves me wrong as then we don't have a problem at 10. Right now with Crowley at 10 I think we have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who are ye who said that Doris was poor??

Did above and beyond what we needed our no 8 to do doing, but because they put 14 in the line none of it was "seen"

Takes the ball to the line and commits defenders.....and passes flat bringing carriers onto the line at pace v old school sits in the pocket and pulls back passes or kicks incessantly.

I appreciate the clarification.

But rather than citing Crowley's recorded stats, it would be more helpful to point out moments where he should have done as you describe, but didn't.

Scotland defended like animals, and have incredibly smart and dynamic back row forwards, who make fix-pass rugby very challenging and risky, the closer you get to the gain line.

43rd minute he carried the ball directly to the line and offloaded well getting in behind the Scottish defence. May be wrong but that was the only time in the entire game he did it. Otherwise Scotland watched him time and time again step sideways and pull a pass back. It facilitated the Scottish game with moderate linespeed (England's blitz was better again) to simply negate our backline carries. It became predictable and samey. Aki worked his socks off with heavy carries time after time but he can only do so much. If this is all Crowley can do and I have seen little else for the entire 6 nations he is only going to continue to out pressure on our outside backs going forward and play into the hands of modern blitz lines. He has to play flatter and back himself to make lower percentage passes to develop and keep a blitz defence honest. May be nothing more than confidence or a technical weakness, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Is Crowley's passing under pressure not one of his strengths or have I been watching a different 10 the past couple of seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

So according to our resident expert on how a no10 should play we had a terrible six nations and need to make urgent changes? We lost one game by a point and finished miles ahead of the group on tries/points scored/conceded. Can ye not just bloody well enjoy our success and stop wishing for impossible perfection

I suppose two things here that I'd come back with.

1. His run:pass ratio was actually higher against Scotland than it was against France. 6 runs to 33 passes (v Sco), vs 4 runs to 32 (v Fra). Each are comfortably within the sweet spot that you'd see under Sexton (not to open THAT can of worms again... IYKYK). So I'm not sure "Scotland watched him time and time again step sideways and pull a pass back" is fair or accurate.

2. Identifying one solitary instance of him offloading a player into space doesn't prove that he missed others. What if that was the only moment in the game such a move was the correct decision?

By the end of the tournament, opposition had increasing intel on how we play with Crowley at 10, so it's little surprise that he saw fewer and fewer moments to exploit with his existing arsenal of tricks.

But let's perhaps not lose the run of ourselves - he turned 24 in January.

The challenge for him and for Ireland going forward is to beat the analytics. Second album/season syndrome, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

I think he was poor by his own high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some people have set their stall out that Crowley was poor, screaming for him to be subbed on match threads but Farrell obviously trusted & rated him as he played every minute of every game across the tournament. A tournament we won.

I think most posters would credit Crowley having a very good tournament, Matt Williams has a lot of people talking about his goal kicking but if you look back at previous Irish outhalf's first seasons in their 6Ns how many if any of them have a better kicking stat.

Unfortunately for Crowley he succeeds Sexton but he doesn't have his experience, yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

1. His run:pass ratio

On this, his run/pass ratio in the entire 6 Nations was the exact same as Sexton's in the 2023 Grand Slam winning 6 Nations... And was actually significantly lower than Sexton in the RWC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think Crowley has done very well for his first year as the starting 10, but he does clearly have some things to work on, primarily for me his decision making and his kicking game. Decision making comes with game time, so that'll take care of itself (or it won't, in which case he'll never have a firm grip on the jersey), but the kicking game is probably the one that needs the most work immediately. Teams are setting out with faster defensive line speed, often playing with just one in the backfield, which negated our attack pretty effectively in the England and Scotland games.

In response, Crowley correctly started grubber kicks through, and dinks over the top, albeit sometimes at the wrong moment when it wasn't really on. If we can get those working correctly, teams won't be able to play with so many in the defensive line. While Crowley needs to work on his execution on this, our runners also need to get on the same page as him.

That, to me, is the dominant issue that's facing Ireland right now, teams have countered our attacking game, so we need to counter back. Execution from Crowley and the players he expects to send through after the ball seems to be the key. I'd expect to see it in the SA games later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

There isn't much between all the potential 10's in Ireland. This is why there is so much debate. We have dropped down several levels since Sexton's departure but that was inevitable.

My current order of merit for the shirt: Ross Byrne, Jack Crowley, Harry Byrne, JJ Hanrahan, Sam Prendergast, Billy Burns.

All of the above is subject to change! The era of a nailed on 10 is over, for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

In fairness, in Sexton's earlier days he was a flaky goal kicker.

This angle on Crowley is a bit nuts. It's his first full season as the starting 10. He played every minute of every game, sometimes at 15 due to injuries. He steered us to 4 wins and a 1 pt defeat. A defeat where we got bullied up front and he had to play with back foot ball all game. Him and JGP, for me, are far and above any other half back combo in the 6N.

Yes, Crowley is not Sexton. He may never be as good. But he has showed in his 1st 6N campaign as the starting 10 that he is at international level and can do his stuff on this stage. He just turned 24. He's doing fine. None of the other incumbents have shown anything near what Crowley has. He's currently the best option by a long way.

Same goes for Joe McC. He's good enough to warrant his place in the team and will improve. He generated a lot of hype in the France game with his performance but showed his inexperience after that. He will improve and be the cornerstone of the pack.

People need to chill out. We just won a 6N by a country mile, not playing our best rugby. We've blooded 3 new players (Nash, Crowley, Joe McC) in key positions and lost by a pt to an improving England side, away, with the last play of the game. People need to have some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

we no longer compare our 13 to O Driscoll and it will take some time for the Sexton comparison to be disregarded and until then all the applicants to succeed him come up way short maybe bar Prendergast how cannot be judged yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

My summation of where the squad is at post 6N.

1. Probably our position of least depth. Porter is a fantastic player but is still struggling with scrumaging on the loosehad side. See how POM was often positioned on the openside if Porter was scrumaging there. He was coaching him at times. Healy at 36 is our best back up. We need to find someone in the next 3 years here.

2. Well stocked at hooker. Sheehan, Kelleher, Herring & Stewart.

3. Furlong isn't what he used to be but he's still top quality. Bealham has stepped up to this level also. Would be no harm to see a third option emerge.

4&5: In good shape here too. We've 2 good tight head locks, McCarthy & Ryan. And 2 good loosehead locks, Beirne & Baird. Lineout needs sorting out, appears to be a coaching issue. Henderson also there but his injury profile has hampered him throughout his career. Aherne is also a promising prospect.

6: POM most likely finished, a great servant, I've made my opinion known on that. Hopefully Baird can make this jersey his own, has huge potential. Might be an opening for Gavin Coombes now too, but he's failed to push on in the past. Lacks the speed for an international no.8 IMO but could be very useful on the blindside. Cian Prendergast also very promising in this position too. We're well covered.

7: VdF is consistently good, not at previous world player of the year levels but plenty good enough. Timoney well able here too and would love to see John Hodnett get a go here. Maybe on the small side from an international perspective but a great player and a workhorse.

8: Doris and Conan. We're in good shape. Expect Doris to be trialled as the next captain. Let see if he has what it takes.

9: Another worrying position. JGP way ahead of the incumbents. Murray on the way out and Casey still has a lot to improve, albeit going the right way.

10: Crowley firmly in charge. Not at Sexton's level, yet. Remains to be seen if he can get there. Good 1st 6N as the starter, a 7/10. IMO Ross Byrne is the best of the rest currently, even if others have a higher ceiling.

11: A mixed bag by Lowe, some great try scoring but a few of the old defensive frailties popped up at times. Still a top player. Need to see a few more blindside wings come through. Shane Daly promising here but lacks all out pace.

12 & 13. Aki is the man, simple as. McCloskey a worthy deputy. Henshaw and Ringrose cover us well for outside centre. No major worries across those 4 guys.

14: Missed Hansen's creativity and playmaker this season. Nash however did really well, strong, pacy runner and good under the high ones. Good that we developed depth here during the 6N.

15: Problem position. Keenan is world class, no doubting that. We just don't have a natural replacement. Would like to see Mike Haley get a run in SA, think he's the best of the rest. Need to be bringing more than one 15 to tournaments in the future.

Overall we're in great shape, a few positions light on cover that need developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Stanley 1

Ford was taking the ball flatter but also about 5 metres, some kind of compromise agreed as Mitchell firing passes at full length and Ford told to lay off the spiral kicks as they ain't working.

Would agree Crowley is the caretaker until Prendergast gets enough experience @ Leinster, he is the closest to a Sexton style - so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris has had another excellent campaign. Plays at a high level every game. One of the best players in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Interesting comments on Crowley, other countries Rugby media has been overwhelmingly positive about him. Most saying how Ireland haven't missed Sexton and a couple bemoaning the fact he wasn't given the last 10 minutes of WC 1/4. He is a way better athlete than either of the Byrne brothers, he is also a better clearly a much better defender. Some of the execution of his kicks on Saturday were poor but I'm not sure many on here remember some of Sexton's early games for Ireland.

Advertisement