Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What a stupid post. kiwior and Jorginho have been playing in the last few league games where Arsenal have been hammering teams in the league. Suddenly you suggest it's "cautious" to be playing them. Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Let's see.....

It's ok to play loose and rack up big scores against the likes of Sheffield United or Burnley, but it's a horse of a different colour to play with the freedom required to score enough on big European nights. Jorginho and Kiwior are good players, but in the context of needing to win a game they were conservative selections.

Look at Atleti, very often they are a dogged, horrible team, but when the fat was on the fire last night they put a good Inter side to the pin of their collar and should have scored more than the two they required. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but we'll have to wait and see. It's up to Arsenal to prove it, they have never done it in a European context, ever, so they have it all to do IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I absolutely disagree they were conservative selections although I dont think Arsenal played well on the night and Porto stifled them very well.

Kiwior plays left back which means White inverts as opposed to Zinchenko inverting when he plays.

Jorghino playing offers control and allows Rice freedom to play much further forward.

its not much different to what you might consider a more attacking lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Really enjoyed the Atleti Inter game, proper old skool cl game. Plenty of chances, some terrible misses.

Livened up another generally dull last 16 round.

Read the other day that next years CL draw is so complicated that uefa says it has to be done with a computer.

To do it manually like the usual way, would take 4 or 4 hours.

So I guess the ties will just be churned out of a pc? So not open to fixing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thar Lautaro Martinez effort must be the worst penalty I've ever seen in a top-level game, apart maybe from this other Italian jobbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well to do the draw manually would take about 4 hours when you have to work out games for 36 teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can see the ball bobble up slightly before he hits it in this clip, was always wondering why players stamp on the spot before taking a penalty.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/ENo7o5la4X

• Advertisement

Same spot that the Atleti players buried their penalties from.

Not excusing him from missing it at all, just thought it was an interesting observation was all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tbh a computer program is probably less open to fixing than a manual draw. There's a load of ways a human draw can be rigged, whereas a computer program produced draw is done with software that can be verified before and after to ensure its programming is legit. Anything untoward will still be there for all to see after the fact, whereas heated or cooled balls or any of that sort of carry on is harder to show later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Atleti 19/1 at the minute. Unreal value. Wait until the draw and then stick on 100.

They'll comfortably deal with the BVB, PSG, Barca and Arsenal forwards. City and Atleti a game of chess of two opposing philosophies. Bayern have regressed so should have enough there.

Madrid seem to have luck and the indian sign over them, even though they should be beating them, and robbed in the past by Real in cruel fashion

I'd fancy them to beat Dortmund and give them a decent shout against Barcelona and PSG but that's as far as I'd go. Seventh favourite seems about right to me...

• Advertisement

Quarter-Final Draw

Arsenal FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V FC Barcelona (ESP)

Semi-Final Draw

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)/Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)/FC Barcelona (ESP)

Arsenal FC (ENG)/FC Bayern München (GER) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)/Manchester City FC (ENG)

That Atleti shout wasn't a bad one now. Could see them in the final.

Other half of draw very tough.

Cracking draw that

I'd fancy them to beat Dortmund and give them a decent shout against Barcelona and PSG 

And whadya know

Semi-Final Draw

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)/Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)/FC Barcelona (ESP)

I'm on Griezman e/w for competition top scorer so apparently somebody up there likes me...

So pretty much in terms of favourites

1/2 v 3/4

5/6 v 7/8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty much as tough a draw as the English clubs could have got. Including potentially playing each other in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

an open draw, with no seeding it seams , very lopsided draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just thinking about next years competition. Would I be correct in saying that there will no longer be any advantage to being a seeded team? Basically since everyone has to play against the same numbers of teams from the different seeding groups then your own high or low seeding is actually irrelevant, in terms of an advantage/disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a very nice draw alright.

Apparently no Bayern fans are allowed in the game at the Emirates Stadium and Arsenal can fill those away fan seats with their own fans if they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

It's so convoluted it doesn't seem like it will work at all. I'm not sure does anyone really know who it's going to work. I can see them chucking it out in a few years time due to fans not tuning in not knowing what's going on.

Personally, I'd have gone with a much different approach.

• Four groups of 14 (52 teams). Each team gets 13 games. No drop down to Europa League.
    • Add in the 10 Domestic Cup winners of the top 10 league into the first round of the qualifiers (it is meant to be a champions league after all).
    • All qualifier rounds and knockout rounds to be one match knockout games.
    • Groups seeded with a top 7 and a bottom 7. Seeded sides have 3 home/3 away games against each other, and then for competition purposes each when the top 7 play the bottom 7, it's split on a 3 home/4 away basis. Minimum of 6 home games regardless.
    • Top 6 sides of each group (24 teams) qualify for round of 32. Teams ranked 7-10 (16 teams) will play each other in a one match qualifier for the final 8 spots, home team determined by position in league phase (eg Team 7 in Group A would have home advantage against Team 10 from Group B).
    • Round of 32 would see the four top ranked sides in the four groups get home advantage against the remaining teams, with winners moving to round of 16.
    • Round of 16 onwards is played as an end of season knockout tournament that takes place in neighbouring countries over two weeks (for example Spain/Portugal nominate 8 stadiums to host 15 knockout games).
    • Same format for Europa League and Conference League.

Straight forward, more games which is what the clubs wanted, more direct knockout football, less groups so more likely a few of the bigger leagues will face each other, home advantage to be gained by performance, and a knockout festival of straight knockout tournament football at the end. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seeding doesn't come into it for the league stage as you have to play the same number of teams as you say but also there will be no draws after the league stage as the final league position determines who you play in the knock out rounds

"The new system is too convoluted!"

[proposes an even more convoluted system]

It does come into it though...In that teams will be split into 4 groupings for the group draw based on their ranking

Now in the old system there was an advantage to being the top seed because that meant that you wouldn't have to play another top seed in your group. Similarly if you were bottom seed you couldn't draw another bottom seed. That will no longer be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The winner of the Real Madrid v Manchester City tie wins the Champions league.

People are seriously overestimating Atletico. Dortmund could beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Their fans threw fireworks onto the pitch at the Lazio game so got a one game ban for away fans being in attendance is what I've read.

Anyone can beat anyone in that draw. Winner of City/Madrid definitely the fave but it's not as completely clearcut as you say tbh.

What I mean is you are just seeded now basically into pots but it really does not matter as you are going to play 2 teams from each pot, it only really matters now is after the group stage on where you finish on the big table, finish top 8 and you avoid having to play 2 extra games

Right, which goes back to my original suspicion - that there is no longer an advantage to being a top seeded team for the group stage draw.

It looks like Madrid will have almost everybody back shortly.

So you've got

Courtois

Carvajal Militao Rudiger Camavinga

Valverde Kroos Modric

Rodrygo Bellingham Vinicious jr

Subs from: Lunin, Nacho, Mendy, Vazquez, Ceballos, Tchouameni, Diaz, Paz, Joselu

Who can beat that? Only one squad in my opinion and that's City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

It's not really, it's very straightforward. Four groups, then one-game knockout rounds, with home advantage based on how well you do in the league phase. Granted I may have worded it very poorly, and apologies for that.

But it's essentially the same format as we have at the minute but with more teams in less groups and knockout rounds with one leg instead of two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Quarter-Final Draw

Arsenal FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER)

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V FC Barcelona (ESP)

Semi-Final Draw

Club Atlético de Madrid (12/1)/Borussia Dortmund (22/1) V Paris Saint-Germain (8/1)/FC Barcelona (9/1)

Arsenal FC (7/2)/FC Bayern München (13/2) V Real Madrid CF (6/1)/Manchester City FC (7/4)

The top four favourites are all in the same half of the draw meaning a nice price if you can pick the one from the other 4 that makes the final.

I cannot believe that Arsenal are second favourites. I couldn't see them getting past the winners of the other QF, IF, they beat Bayern. You know Harry Kane is licking his lips for this tie, even if he is going to end up this season, as all the rest, trophy-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They're third favourites based on those odds you've given there.

Actually didn't even look at Real's odds, just assumed they'd be lower. Yeah that makes no sense. I think the semis will be as far as they get, whether it's Real or Madrid they face. It would be a good outing for their first time back in the competition in so long but I look forward to all the bottler comments regardless. The squad isn't that big, two Champions League semis in between a reasonably tough run in could derail the season fairly easily. An injury at centre back like at the tail end of last season could be fairly catastrophic.

7/2 is very short price for Arsenal....... if they were evens in each tie it would be 7/1

• Advertisement

If Madrid put Kroos and Modric on the pitch against City, like they did last season, then they have no chance. Their midfield was overrun last year when they were on. Only got a foothold in the match when subbed.

Yes madrid might have full strength team v City, but Militao will be very rusty for a while. Out for so long. Camavinga would be wasted at left back too in a City game.

That's a mad price for Arsenal alright and I say that as a fan🤣

TNT and RTE/Virgin Media will not be happy as both Arsenal and Man City play their Quarter-Finals at the same time

1st Legs on the Tuesday night and 2nd Legs on the Wednesday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bit annoying for neutrals too, those are the best two games of the round, so it's annoying to have to pick between them. It is nice to have just a week between the ties though, keeps the jeopardy firmly in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sickened I didn't take them at 19/1 last night, down to 12/1 after the draw. Huge difference now unfortunately.

As I was saying, people are overestimating Atletico. They just lost 3-0 at home to Barcelona.

• Advertisement

They certainly aren’t as good as in years gone, probably on course for their worse league finish in over a decade and may miss out on champions league. Still a bastard of a team to play that I wouldn’t fancy playing.

Quarter-Final 1st Legs
    Tuesday 9th April
    Arsenal FC (ENG) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on TNT Sport 1
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Manchester City FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sport 2 / RTE News

Wednesday 10th April
    Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on TNT Sport 2
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V FC Barcelona (ESP) - Live on TNT Sport 1

I hope Barca make the final, they won't win it but I'd be happy for Xavi to finish his time there with a Champions league final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are they early /late kick offs, or at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Advertisement
Advertisement