Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trashing an almost new tubeless tire?

Options
  • 18-03-2024 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hey folks,

not a total novice to tubeless tires, but need a second opinion here.

On my last bike I had, I guess, 'standard' tubeless wheels (Mavic) and the tire to match (Schwalbe). Was a nightmare to install but once I got it on everything was plain sailing. Added enough sealant and got that pleasing 'pop' with a bog-standard floor pump. Have never had to remove the tire etc.

On my new bike, it came with 'tubeless-ready' wheels (and cheap Continental tubular tires) to boot. The front tire had a puncture despite it being only a few weeks old, so I decided to go back to tubeless all over again.

The tubular tires this are Hutchinson Fusion 5 (700c28) and went on with relatively little trouble (in terms of final section of the rim). The front tire wouldn't inflate using the normal floor pump method, but after removing the valve core and some very awkward pumping with just one arm (whilst the other held the valve down), I got myself over the threshold!

Tried to inflate the rear wheel today (with the help of a compressor at the filling staton to just help pop the bead), but it has broken my heart! A combination of bad luck with the valves leaking sealant/air, rim stripes sliding to one side during the fitting of the tire (only noticeable post inflation) and a floor pump dying on me from all the stress, I am now asking myself is it safe to continue with this tire? It has been taken on and off about 3 or 4 different times. It never got past about 60 psi at any point.

I used plastic tire levers the entire time. Has the tyre has stretched so much it is no longer safe?

I really don't want to tell myself that I've pissed away €50. Going back to the original tyre and tube that the bike came with is an option, but I'd not have the thought of a puncture handing over me (the missus is now on baby-minding duty so the broom-wagon days are sadly over).

I've cleaned all the pus off of the tire and rim and if needs be I will go the local bike shop but I'd rather not let them have the pleasure of riding me for the price of 15 min labour and about 50mm of sealant). Going on a cycling holiday in the next few days so am in a dilemma.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can't imagine why that would make it unsafe, people replace sealant a few times over the life of other tires. Just sounds like you had a run of bad luck, each part of which taught you a lesson you won't forget for the next tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭galwayguy85

Hi, thanks. It was hinted at on Reddit. I know that that is not the arbitrator of everything! 😛

Rationale being that the bead would become knackered from being stretched so many times. Relative to my last set of tubeless tires; the Hutchison tires went on with just a sprinkle of soapy water and a single (plastic) tire lever. I guess that that is a good thing.

I think the Schwalbe rim strip is the root of the problem. Had to take off several times to clean it and center it in the rim again (before inflation) which may have made it too pliable and likely to slide to one side. A vicious cycle! Adhesive rim tape will be used the next around

As the bike came (ROSE Reveal Al 105) came with a hydraulic disk brake setup, defaulting to simply ‘tubeless’ wheels was not financially viable.

Are ‘ tubeless ready’ wheels more prone to hassle with respect to installing tubeless tires? Requiring a garage pump to get the ‘pop’ to the rim etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not really, more dependent on the tyre / wheel combination. I'd take advice on reddit, like I take my salt, just a pinch of it but if you are relying on it then there is something wrong with the food.

A quick google reveals that the Hutchinsons have very tough (claimed) beads, so I presume this is your issue with seating. I'd guess the tyres are fine, using a garage pump can be tough to get a tyre to seat anyway as the seal is not always very tight and the newer ones don't blast out a huge pressure at the start like the older ones did. Check can you find a compatibility chart for the Hutchinsons in regards inner width.

It is either keep trying and hope it seats, or go to your LBS if they have a pump. You just need them to seat it, so it shouldn't be that much, just a few euro.

It's also possible your rim tape isn't tubeless, particularly if its slipping. Maybe add an extra layer or replace it, but it would be odd for them not to have put in tubeless tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭galwayguy85

Sound out, thanks for the tips!

A buddy of mine will try to sort things out instead of volunteering to being extorted (from past experience) by the local bike shop. If a cycling holiday wasn't on the immediate horizon I'd calm down, catch my breath and start over again.

More info about the bike https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-reveal-al-105-2702535?product_shape=salted+caramel

Wheels: ROSE R25, 700c https://www.rosebikes.de/rose-r-twenty-five-28-rennrad-hinterrad-28-speichen-cx-ray-2717911 (all in German, where I live these times).

The stock tires Continental Ultra Sport III - 700c 28. Sub €20, according to most Google results. A bit scummy to supply such cheap/puncture-prone tires on a bike that costs nearly 2K!

The Schwalbe rim tape (or rather strip, kinda like an elastic band) worked OK with the front wheel. I guess I over-stretched the rear tape by having to remove it and put it back on again countless times. Will stick with something that actually adheres to the wheel in future.

All a learning experience. I'm sure that it will be worth the aggro!

Advertisement