Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Injuries though are part and parcel of any squad. Munster were minus up to 20 players at one point. Cordero was bad luck but we were never going to see much of Hansen or Bundee this year so any games they'd have been available for would be a bonus in my mind.

I think a lot of the chopping and changing in the backs has been self inflicted. Tom Farrell and Kilgallen being particularly hard done by.

I sincerely hope you're right and im wrong. Wilkins seems a decent person but I've not seen any evidence in his time here that he'll bring us forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The style of play. The inability to dominate teams that should be dominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Whats your issue with style of play and what teams should connacht be dominating

Scarlets, Cardiff, Dragons Zebre. All should be 5 pointers. Connacht were headless v 14 players a month ago. 1 out runners, poor ruck support and completely unable to exploit a man advantage.

Connacht should have seen off Leinster. They deserved to and Ultimately blew it. From what I see, there's no fixed line up! This is fine and grand but, when the line up changes some of the players fail to deliver. Consider N Murray, who's on a lesser role this year or dare I say Blade! My opinion on Blade is he's headless and not in tune with what's going on around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Scarlets was a 5 pointer...

They have yet to play Dragons or Zebre this season.

Can I ask, have you watched Connacht outside of the Leinster or Cardiff games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Cardiff aren't great but you can't lump them in with those other 3, just look at tries conceded per game:

Cardiff - 2.9

Zebre - 5.1

Scarlets - 4.6

Dragons - 5

We got the BP vs Scarlets, and have yet to play Dragons or Zebre. The performance vs Cardiff certainly wasn't good, perhaps we primarily focused on S&C during the down weeks. I do agree regarding selection, although Niall seems to be the preferred Murray again after being dropped mid season.

Watche them in S.a. I also watched the Munster match.

Cardiff are lumpy. Just big with little mouse. Connacht should have murdered them. Connaacht should have beaten Leinster too! I'm delighted they didn't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Connacht are ranked 7th on the URC’s attack ratings overall. They have the third highest clean breaks, which is good but have been shocking at converting these.

They are also ranked 1st defensively. This is no mean feat at all. Defensive is often the thing the wins you matches, which we are ultimately seeing with Connacht.

The loses to Leinster Edinburgh were tough to take. Went to SA and won one and lost one (should have got a bp), which is not a bad return.

For a relatively new coaching staff, having the highest ranked defensive and winning match’s will be a great thing.

With the 7 remaining games, I’d expec bonus point wins against the dragons, zebre and lions. I would be looking for a minimum of 5 points from the benneton and stormers matches. That would put Connacht on 53 points with two free hits in the away interpros.

There is obvious areas of improvement and I’m not convinced by Wilkins personally but it has still been decent season compared to past years .

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

In some ways I agree with you.

Cardiff are a nuggety physical team who will drag you into an arm wrestle if you let them. We were really poor against them and allowed them use the horriffic weather conditions to act as an extra defender all game long. But we won. Connacht would have contrived to lose that game in previous seasons.

We gave up a couple of poor tries to Leinster. The quick tap to Ngatai should have been defended and we were very slow to fold in defense for the last minute Frawley try. Half our pack was still the wrong side of the ruck when he received the ball. Mack Hansen's uncanny ability to appear exactly where the opposition least want him undid Leinster multiple times. Without him present we'd have struggled to unlock their defense.

Whatever our coaching focusses have been during the 6N breaks seem to have had a negative effect. It's been suggested that the players were overworked in a heavy S&C block in the run up to Cardiff.

I just don't see any point to resetting a coaching team once again unless our season falls apart. Everything aside from the attacking structure should be tweaks rather than a radical overhaul. A lot of our backs - particularly Blade - just don't look like our attack brings the best out of their game.

Post edited by conncussed on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

We effectively rebuilt our coaching ticket and playing style over the Summer. Wilkins replaced Friend. We lost Dewalt Senekal and Mossy Lawlor, with John Muldoon and Scott Fardy, and Mark Sexton all joining the senior coaching team. We've changed how we build our pack, we have a new defensive system, and Mark Sexton is trying to rebuild our attack behind that. There were always going to be teething problems in year one of this.

I hear this argument. And I appreciate this argument. My issue is that the current coaching ticket is providing really shite rugby. And that is my worry. While we move from one management platform to the next I don't understand the necessity to change our basic plays so fundamentally that we are simply crap before we become better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

2 year extension for SHL. Great business locking down himself and Forde this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Brilliant, had him down as a flight risk. Will only be one year from being IQ by the end of that contract so we will hopefully be able to keep him long term.

Is Farrell being released? I guess Thornbury will be and with Murphy coming back in its not too much disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

'They are also ranked 1st defensively. This is no mean feat at all. Defensive is often the thing the wins you matches, which we are ultimately seeing with Connacht.'

Now while I may be critical I have noticed how much better the defence is this year

In all types of sports, teams with new coaching staffs tend to work on defensive first. I’m hoping to see improvement ls in attack next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Won't be long before Hugh Gavin is starting for us, huge for a 19 year old & great hands if he can sort out the Tom Brady passes!

Lot to be said for a durable player these days. As such he gets my vote. That said it's hard to figure how long a durable player will last

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

At u20 vs England, Connacht three were some excellent performance (Gavin sometimes did mistake. But his last catching restarted kicking ball by Naughton was superb). Treacy's first try and his passing to help O'Connor's try were superb. He looked gifted ball game player. And Espcially Naughton (he gived playing time only last 2 minnutes) kicked very nice for restaritng and touch, ran for line -break near gallline of Enland and converted for the draw between that only two minnutes although he has waited between 78 minnutes at the cold and windy bench. I think that Connacht need such a player. Very good d recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

New 2 year deal for Shane Bolton. He has looked excellent this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Excellent no. defence is worst than Lowe 3 years ago. Look at Cardiff game the way he was "erased" by opposite winger one moment before he went off was a joke. Great offensive asset though.

Ah bit harsh that, he has put in some huge hits and turnovers on the ground. Will get better with more game time too. Excited to have him tied down. Feel like he could on the fringes of international selections.

I like Shayne a lot. But I'd trust Smith for some international cameos more than him. Both unlikely though.

Gavin or/and Forde are sure bet(s), SHL IQ in 2027 may be next in line after Baird, for O'Mahony.

Maybe Joyce outside surprise, only 33 in 2027 and brings more than Henderson...

No other obvious caps to be seen from Connacht, though Hansen still there in 3 years of course

There's a big difference between being a good tackler and a good defender. Bolton is very physical but his positioning and decision making need a lot of work. He also doesn't seem to have much of a kicking game so may have a ceiling as a winger. On the flip side he's such an asset in attack, always looks for the ball and invariably makes a positive contribution when he gets it. Glad he's staying, it'll be interesting to see where he plays long term.

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (34) 2025+1

Matthew Burke (27) 2024

Peter Dooley (30) 2024?

Jordan Duggan (26) 2024

Oisin Michel (22) - Academy year 2

Charlie Ward (24) - Academy year 3

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (25) 2024?

Finlay Bealham (32) 2026

Sam Illo (23) 2025

Dominic Robertson-McCoy (30) 2024

Fiachna Barrett (21) - Academy year 1

Hooker

Eoin De Buitléar (22) 2025

Dave Heffernan (33) 2025

Tadgh McElroy (27) 2024?

Dylan Tierney-Martin (25) 2026

Matthew Victory (21) - Academy year 1

Lock

Oisin Dowling (27) 2024?

Joe Joyce (30) 2025?

Josh Murphy (29) 2025

Darragh Murray (23) 2024?

Niall Murray (24) 2025

Gavin Thornbury (30) 2024

Back row

Paul Boyle (27) 2024

Jarrad Butler (33) 2024

Shamus Hurley-Langton (24) 2026

Sean Jansen (25) 2025

Oisin McCormack (23) 2024?

Sean O'Brien (24) 2025?

Conor Oliver (28) 2024

Cian Prendergast (24) 2025

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (30) 2026

Michael McDonald (25) 2024

Colm Reilly (25) 2025

Matthew Devine (22) - Academy year 2

Outhalf

Jack Carty (32) 2025

JJ Hanrahan (32) - 2025?

Sean Naughton (21) - Academy year 1

Harry West (21) - Academy year 2

Centre

Bundee Aki (34) 2025

Tom Daly (31) 2024

Tom Farrell (30) 2024

Cathal Forde (22) 2026

David Hawkshaw (25) 2025

John Devine (20) - Academy year 2

Hugh Gavin (20) - Academy year 2

Daniel Hawkshaw (22) - Academy year 2

Finn Treacy (20) - Academy year 1

Back 3

Shayne Bolton (24) 2026

Santiago Cordero (30) 2025

Mack Hansen (26) 2025

Shane Jennings (23) 2024?

Liam McNamara (27) 2024?

Oran McNulty (24) 2024

Tiernan O'Halloran (33) 2024

John Porch (30) 2025

Byron Ralston (24) 2024?

Andrew Smith (24) 2025?

Shane Mallon (22) - Academy year 2

Chay Mullins (22) - Academy year 2

James Nicholson (21) - Academy year 1

Josh O'Connor (23) - Academy year 3

*ages as at 01/09/2024

IN:

OUT: Diarmuid Kilgallen (back 3, Munster)

Exactly.

he's the size of a 12 à la De Allende ...

But we have enough prospects there and he's not good enough defender to play 13. So strong 14 for Kilgallen is the lakeliest

Peter Dooley signed on for another season, with the option of a second. https://www.connachtrugby.ie/news/peter-dooley-renews-contract/bp2931/

Has had a good season imo. Will be interesting to see what we do with our other two looseheads. Burke is surely on the way out, and I could take or leave Duggan tbh. With Dooley and Buckley both entering their thirties, I think we could really do with a high quality young player to start exposing to senior rugby, even if it's very gradual like we've done with Illo. Haven't seen enough of Michel or Ward to know if either fits the ball. Michel looked very solid in the Jack McGrath mould at u20s, very different player to the power athletes we've seen coming through over the past few years. Ward has been in the academy for 4 years now and seems to have had serious injury problems so hard to know where he's at, but I do remember him being quite dynamic underage.

Can't really think of other good IQ options, perhaps we could look at reconverting Temi Lasisi, moving to tighthead doesn't seem to have worked out for him just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

When will we know who the ref is for next weekend?

Advertisement