Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You mean you don’t trust those Stalinesque voting numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It could be that alright.

Another theory is that the countries that are supplying these shells are either supposedly friendly with Russia but would love the money for unused shells in their warehouses. (Philippines for example). Or are militarily neutral (but support Ukraine in principle) so cannot be seen to be sending shells to the Ukrainian warzone(South Korea). But they can be quietly negotiated with and in turn supply the Czechs. At which point Petr Pavel can do whatever the f*ck he likes with the shells.

I'd lean towards the latter anyway myself but I guess a pleb like me could never really know. So take all that with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

"Give them enough to stop them losing, don't give them enough to enable them to win" does, for whatever reasons, seem to be a very conscious policy for some time now which is why I expect everything will look very similar this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I could be wrong but weren't France dragging their heels on allowing purchases outside the EU to protect it's own defense industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Event in central Moscow now to mark 10 years of Crimea and the presidential election. It is a pity that Ukraine or these supposed resistance fighters within Russia seem incapable of launching any kind of attack on the capital to force it to be called off, would send a huge signal, but seems the capabilities simply aren't there (the desire surely would be)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The fact the countries in question have not been named kinda works with your assumption. Maybe the fact Ukraine are suffering from lack of shells may have made those countries more open to the idea of supplying their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is bombing a load of civilians the way for Ukraine to win hearts and minds in Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Get what you mean (in that countries incl. France and Greece opposed a plan where a large EU budget would be spent on getting shells from outside the bloc) but your phrasing is a bit off.

The EU cannot prevent the member states from purchasing shells for Ukraine from whoever they like, they do have their own money and their own militaries to go out and do it.

Seems the will/impetus wasn't strong enough for any of the members that wanted to go and arrange this themselves (outside the EU), unless EU contributor states were ponying up a big chunk of the cost.

I believe the Czech plan to purchase the shells is being part funded by Germany (and others) in any case, to tune of 100s of millions of Eur.

There are a few reasons why it did not happen earlier I can think of.

One of these is that it is a massive financial "bung" (money for old shells rotting away in storage) to countries that may not exactly be friends of the EU or member states, or even potential future aggressors with territorial designs (e.g. Turkey, if that is one of the sources).

Another is situation was not as urgent. There was a Republican/Trump cloud appearing over future USA aid for Ukraine at that point [spring last year if I am remembering?], but Biden admin. (and pro Ukraine people on right in US politics) were still promising it was all minor and would be just fine in the end, and support would not be interrupted. Well that hasn't panned out, as we know now (to Ukraine's cost).

I also wonder if there were over-optimistic projections given by weapons makers around Europe about manufacturing increases they could achieve if given the funds (and then they failed to deliver these on time)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most probably not, but after two years of having Russia indiscriminately slaughter Ukrainian civilians, I can't exactly blame Ukraine if they get a bit of ordinance to Russian population centres. Again, none of this would need to occur if Russia had not made the unnecessary decision to move forces into Ukraine in February 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Seeing as it has now been shown that about 90% of the voters there support a genocidal murderer with a failing grasp on reality, maybe functioning hearts and/or minds may be difficult to find in russia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You think that 90% figure is legitimate?

There is evidence of literal ballot stuffing, the result is clearly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Any aggressor needs their war brought back to their home, if at all possible. If this is nowadays controversial, That’s really sad but par for the course in our upside down world of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Russkiy mir ( Russian World ) - Putin uses this alot

Russian World is understood as referring to territories populated by people who are ethnic Russians, speak Russian, or associate with Russian culture. This includes Russia itself, and extends to places such as northern Kazakhstan, Belarus, the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in Eastern Ukraine, the Transnistria region in Moldova, South Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia, and also Serbia and Israel. 

I have also heard it can extend to whereever Russian are regardless of number .. thats part of Russian World

Explanation from - https://globalvoices.org/2022/02/26/what-does-russian-world-stand-for-in-putins-statements-about-ukraine/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Very unlikely to be legitimate in my opinion but the publicity about such support for someone of putin's character does make me question the minds and hearts of those in russia who allow this pantomime of support for his war mongering, mass murder and gencide to continue. I'd hope if such blatant mockery of democracy was to take place here in Ireland that there would be a much stronger response from the public.

More hardcore Navalnaya perhaps. Have a listen to the whole video, it is translated to English. She doesnt hold back:

Forget Navalnaya. Spread the word about Yevgenia Chirikova, who calls on her fellow Russians to join the armed resistance, which is fighting as we speak and includes independence groups. This is the opposition

So .. this be interesting. OBAMA dropped into Sunak in No. 10 .. he arrived "unexpected" walking up the street to No. 10.

SKYs readout on this:

Our political correspondent Tamara Cohen says the meeting was a "courtesy visit" while Mr Obama is in London for meetings to do with his foundation. 

Mr Obama and Rishi Sunak have never met before as the former president left office in 2017.

As it was a private meeting, Tamara says we will not be given a full readout of everything they discussed. 

Likely topics, however, include the conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East. 

"Whether it touches on UK or US politics, we may not find out," Tamara says.

She adds that it "took us all by surprise to see him walking up the street" when Mr Obama arrived this afternoon.

So whats up here then???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well she's better looking and looks more earnest than Prigozhin did. For all we know Prigozhin has retired to Brazil and it was a rouse to see who was unloyal to be defenestrated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

European weapons manufacturers are supplying Ukraine directly to the tune of 350k shells:

that is separate to the ones procured for Ukraine by the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

The thing that bugs me the most with this conflict, is that both Putin and Medvedev know perfectly well what they are saying is lies.

They know their claim that Ukraine doesn't deserve independence is a lie. They know all of it, yet are willing to kill hundreds of thousands of people in pursuit of a known lie.

Why would political leaders act in a way they know to be false?

It's almost as if they want to have a big wider war because they know they aren't going to be around for long, so what's to lose if they take everyone down with them.

• Advertisement

It's fairly straightforward. They're sociopathic empathy lacking individuals. Born into a society that values above all , strength. Surrounded on all sides by men that are the same as them. And you don't get to step down from the throne peacefully. If Putin shows weakness he swings from a lamppost. Pretty good incentive.

Himself and his cronies are also used to being on top and owning half a states worth of wealth in mansions and assets between a few handfuls of people. And it's a cliche but it's true. Power corrupts.

They live on top of a population that is on the whole completely apathetic to their political status.

Putin and his cronies saw that Ukraine(an ex soviet country) was moving toward more liberal democracy and away from the mafia state. Towards the EU. And much like the Baltics it would be shown, on Putins own doorstep, that the EU and true democracy works in favor of the regular Joe and crushes the oligarch under the weight of due process and bureaucracy. Even the regular Russian can appreciate when pavement slabs on the other side of the border aren't wonky and the buildings aren't dilapidated.

It shows his whole way of life is entirely invalid. He couldn't allow that.

It also didn't help that the West did absolutely nothing the last few times he invaded. if you give a bold child candy when they misbehave don't act surprised when you get more of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Something happening at the Kerch Bridge?

That's a fairly good assessment, to be honest.

My concern is that their sociopathic obsession with strength will lead the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation because, as you say, they are sociopathic and care nothing for the rest of the world.

It's them, and them only. And it seems they are deliberately calibrating a confrontation with NATO that seems accidental.

All you need do is consider how both behaved with the West for the past 20-30 years.

In the last 2-3 years, the grammar has shifted toward war. Russia is now a total war economy. How does this end? Putin wants to go out with a bang, either in his favour or he loses and takes everyone down with him. I can't see any other logic to this bizarre set of words since 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

it was marcon who would not allow the purchase of shells outside of the eu, supported by greece and cyprus

If it's any consolation I'm pretty certain that it won't come to nukes. Putin might be a sociopath but he's not insane. And he regards his own life highly.

Have you seen the length of his covid distancing meeting table? These are not the actions of someone who wants to die. And Putin, much like everyone else, understands perfectly well that nukes means everyone dies.

The nukes are a bluff. But an effective one that has the west second guessing and dithering every decision to increase support or capability unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm aware of that. It's easier to say the EU as it's the agreement they (the EU) came to. At least the latest funding approved by the EU, states that they can purchase arms outside the EU if the countries within the EU cannot supply what's needed.

I've heard that position a lot, and I understand it.

But let's think the unthinkable perhaps. Let's imagine the worst case scenario, where a sociopath is in control of nuclear weapons, realizing their own time is very much limited (he's 71). Putin knows that he cannot just launch nuclear weapons and destroy NATO, but that by invading Ukraine he is creating a scenario that causes the West to fracture -- either he gets what he wants, or the West intervenes and he responds with nukes.

Putin might be disgustingly evil, but he's not stupid.

His actions in the last 2-years are bizarre and irrational. His interviews, speeches, and statements are deluded. I don't believe he is deluded or stupid, so it seems intentional -- that he deliberately seeks escalation, even if it's based in falsehoods.

That's my concern, at least.

You mentioned COVID and dying, but mass war with NATO doesn't just mean Putin dies (although he'd presumably be in a bunker), it means he destroys everything anyway. We cannot blithely assume that sick people like that won't exist in society.

Putin cannot order a nuclear war against NATO without a pretext.

His irrational behaviour in the last 2-years, which we know he knows to be false, could be manipulatively used as the pretext.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

I see they rolled out fat faced Putin to do the online voting. The real one couldn't even be arsed to vote in the sham.

The documentary just released on Netflix, Turning point, is excellent and gives a brilliant history of the nuclear arms race, the cold War, the collapse of the Soviet Union and the war on Ukraine for anyone interesting.

Hitler was responsible for 60 odd million deaths in WW2 but it was his influence that gave us all of the above. How one person, can be the catalyst for such death and destruction beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

So $1000 each, not as cheap as many drones but still affordable in comparison to most high technology. The Russians are still using Josef Stalins mantra, 'quantity has a quality of it's own.' Whilst those auld post war Soviet tanks T55's are obsolete the ones refurbished from stock are essentially free with some essential upgrades & maintenance, & similar have still been used in recent conflicts around the world.

A Spitfire fighter from 1940 would cost $630000 at todays prices, it's ridiculous how much a modern F35 costs.

There's a lot to be said for cheap fighter planes & tanks, such as Northdrop F-5, not up against the latest types, but for close support roles. Wiki says 400 still in service, but none with Ukraine friendly nations.

Meanwhile the RAF decides to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons. You'd think there's a real possibility of world peace breaking out soon!

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-aircraft-numbers-drop-by-22-since-in-seven-years/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement