Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Standert owners ?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking at getting a standert triebwerk frameset to build up, will use for long spins, will be replacing a Bowman Palace 3c which is consigned to my trainer.

Wondering if anyone has a bike from them and any feedback on the quality of frames?

Have done a fair bit of looking around online and all seems positive.

Ta

Phil

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was in the showroom in Berlin last month. Gorgeous looking bikes. Hard to justify the prices though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'd easily spend 2k (and more!) on a high end steel frame though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

e.g. donard cycles in down (who admittedly make them to order, to your size) now start at STG£3,100 for a frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Was thinking 1899, while not cheap, is certainly less than other steel framesets out there, cane creek headset and a bb installed too.

Other option is a ritchey logic disc which is more reasonable at 1350 and by all accounts rides nicer.

Standert is nicer looking tho imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm not an owner but second that they look cool. I'd love one of these to replace my Genesis Equilibrium

• Advertisement

Only saw fully built bikes in the shop and mostly aluminium and the price tags were saucy I thought. Maybe I'm just twice-bitten-thrice-shy on the whole artisan bike manufacturer thing after Bowman.

-So, ah, maybe buy a Giant TCR instead 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Yeah...the bowman debacle has left its scars...funnily enough was in CCS to try and get a Defy but they couldn't even pre-order one!!

Mate got one last month through Hollingsworth Kilmacud. 105 di2. Very nice bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Have one on the way from Berlin. It's a Triebwork Mach 2. Absolutely fell in love with it when I 1st saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

How can people justify spending 1.5-3k on a steel frame even if bespoke when used genuine classic equivalents are available for half if not quarter(or less) the price and often (usually!) in better tubing .There are even manufacturers trying to pass off 4130 plain gauge steel as some kind of artisanal grade product admittedly more so on single speeds etc .The Standert Triebwork LOOKS fab but Id like to know what this 'Columbus "mix" ' of tubing is exactly .I cant see anything other than megabucks stainless steel 953/XCR significantly outperforming the late 90s 853 Claud Butler I bought last year for so little Id nearly hate to say (from a genuine seller in a very smart Sth Dublin suburb )Surely for most cyclists the correct choice of stem can cancel out most of the benefit of a custom build frame ?

• Advertisement

If I can pass it through the wife then it's justified! I wanted one! Have done for a long time. Yeah, I could have chanced my arm on a retro steel frame, that was made 50 years ago, but I've done that already and will probably do it again. The fact that I got a great deal through a pal that lives in Berlin makes it all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Underpinner

I was in Berlin last October for a couple of days. I went to their shop and tested the Ergeschoss stainless steel bicycle with Sram eTap AXS. Class bike. Handled really well, fast and lightweight. All their bikes are very well finished. Good luck with purchase. You won’t be disappointed.

I'm hoping to go over there before summer for a long weekend as I've been invited over by a company I did some contract work with a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say a lot of it is marketing/ image. I have two Genesis bikes (recent with flat mount discs, thru axles etc) and they cost me less than 1200 for the two framesets (a Croix de Fer 853 ans an Equilibrium).

I'm not sure there would be any technical improvement by swapping one for a Standert. Would look cooler though.

Still considering one

OK so having had the Triebwerk for a few months now, albeit with limited time actually riding it due to a recurring hip injury that's plagued me for the last year, I've now put a few hundred KMs on it.
    The first few rides were slightly disappointing. My times on Strava routes were well below what I'd been achieving on my previous modern carbon framed bikes and the handling took a bit of getting used to, but this was down to my fitness levels and the weight I'd gained due to not cycling. The saddle made me think that I'd had a lost weekend in the George and getting used to 11 speed mechanical shifting made me seriously doubt my wisdom in switching over.

The last month though has been a revelation. I swapped out the 11-25 cassette (which I stupidly thought was an 11-28), fettled the gearing and braking, and it's now an absolute dream to ride. The things that weren't there initially have suddenly appeared as my fitness has improved. The SRAM Force GS is as I remember from a previous Rose Xeon RS I'd owned that I loved for its handling and pure fun in country lanes. I genuinely don't miss the electronic shifting of my SRAM AXS 12 speed of my previous few bikes and It has the comfort of my Van Nicholas Aquilo and the saddle has redeemed itself. I still might change it if I can get my hands (and butt) on a Fabric ALM saddle, but the Fizik Antares is fine for the time being.
    The handling is sublime! The Chris King headset has me converted! The balance and feel of the bike, and the quality of the components just shine through. I look forward to the inclines as jumping out of the saddle rewards me with instant responsiveness.

Like all love affairs it rewards you for the effort you put in. In never fails to put a smile on my face. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and I was racing a Carlton Corsa and my parents got me a fully fitted bespoke Alan Shorter frame for my birthday! I now look forward to every opportunity to get out on the Standert. Herself needs ingredients to bake a cake: I jump on the Standert and fly off down to Lidl with my rucksack! Next week I'm cycling down to Waterford Castle for a family wedding (to make room for the cake she's made), can't wait!
    Would I get another one? In a heartbeat!

Sounds great. Is it rim brake?

It is. I prefer the simplicity and maintainability of rim brakes. I had quite a few issues with disc brake maintenance and wheel rub on a couple of bikes which couldn't be sorted mid ride. I'm happy with the performance of the SRAM Force rim brakes and they're easy to fettle mid ride.
    Discs are brilliant then they are working, and anecdotal evidence suggest that they are reliable, but my experience with them is skewed. This is all down to personal experience and preference.
    Oh, and I never mentioned how stunning the bike looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I was just going to ask how you were getting on with it when I saw your picture of it in the "pics taken on your cycle " thread. They do look good.

They do! I love the aesthetic of paired back steel bikes. I've converted to the 'smiles per miles' ethos of cycling

The other brand I see all over Instagram who make similar looking bikes are Stelbel. https://stelbel.it/en/

For me also mechanical and rim brakes are where it is at for purity and simplicity

• Advertisement

Well, I'm with you there. I brought my ten speed R5 rolling on 23mm tyres to Spain. 11 days straight riding and I didn't miss any braking apexes. Was faster pretty much everywhere too than the previous times I've been there on a tcr dísc braked rental.

Not my bike but saw this the other day:

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/standert-kreissage-rs-54cm-medium/34026075

Saw that as well. Nice. Workshop it is photographed in is even nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Well wear on the new steel road bike .I find it hard to square the circle of someone being so sensitive and apologetic about not liking disc brakes and yet writing such a bombastic , irreverent review of your bike (saddle!!!???)For Gods sake dont leave her(HIM!?) unattended outside Lidl !

😂
    It was more a reflection of my level of fitness than any direct criticism of the bike, but there was a tiny kernel of truth in there as well! It was also a stark reminder that, as I've gotten that bit older I can't draw on fitness memory like I could. Zero fitness now equates to zero fitness! The last couple of weeks have seen me get to a decent starting point and todays ride was one of those days where everything is just right.
    I'm allowed to leave it inside Lidl and they always keep an eye on it for me!

Advertisement