Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Porter is staying at loosehead regardless of who Leinster sign.

Ireland pay his wages.

Ireland have Furlong, Beahlam, Jager and o'toole at tighthead currently.

Ireland need Porter at loosehead considering they were bringing healy and kilkoyne to the world cup and both are over 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I like the idea of Sheehan, Tupou, Baird and Snyman all in the same pack.

Seems like there's a pattern emerging around our signings. We're targeting the most athletic players we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I thought all along that there would be a big signing at THP and Ten as they are the more obvious relative weak points. Not sure if you would be allowed a ten but if allowed guys of calibre of snyman and tupou, i think maybe could sneak a ten in as well. I just don't think you sign someone like Nienebar without him getting some kind of leeway to make bigger splashes than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Would be a good signing but I doubt it ends up happening. With Schmidt coming onboard I presume they'd do what they could to keep him home.

Another player with a questionable injury profile however, like Snyman, controlling his game time could be helpful in limiting the risk and also giving the young players a chance to develop.

Good point on the athletic players. Presume part of that is the SA coaching mindset and what he has historically needed his players to do.

Already seeing a lot of pontificating and whining from the usual suspects in red on Twitter about this potential move. The main reason Leinster need to be in the market to sign a THP is that a generation in development in this position were poached by other provinces

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tupou apparently weighed in at 160kg after the summer break. Supposed to have a terrible attitude to training and fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Ryan had a procedure on his bicep, can't imagine we'll see him anytime soon

I always wonder about the poaching thing.

Leinster poached Henshaw, a world class centre entering his prime that you got for FREE on a central contract. You have generally lost players you don't want.

In terms of pure value, you guys are ahead in the whole poaching thing.

You let Aungier go because you wanted to keep a non leinster guy who only came to ireland a few years ago. Connacht didn't poach him as far as i know. You chose Salanoa over him and then Salanoa chose someone else over you? Or is that not what happened? Be loyal to Aungier and you'd have nothing to complain about,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Under Henshaws IRFU deal he had the choice to stay at connacht, move to Munster, or move to Leinster.

It was his choice to move to Leinster.

Pretty much the diametric opposite of "poaching"

Literally every player has the choice to move or not.

Yes, i agree with you the concept of poaching is dumb.

I do find it interesting that leinster getting a generational player from connacht in his prime that they developed, isn't poaching... but them getting a THP you guys picked someone else over is. You might not be saying that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just found out Rock beat St Michael's. Ugh.

• Advertisement

Think we'll have a good team out this week. Might get Frawley and Ringrose.

Leinster do poach to some extent, I never claimed they didnt.

Disagree on value, Leinster could survive without Henshaw while the other provinces would struggle without the quantity taken from Leinster. All provinces have benefited and been hurt from player movement.

Leinster have been fine with losing certain players but it is a huge stretch to believe Leinster 'wanted' to lose both Aungier and Salanoa. Losing those to other provinces is a key reason why a signing of a THP is needed and likely why the IRFU will have no issue with it.

You didn't want Aungier and then Salanoa wanted to go somewhere else. You then wanted Aungier after he already agreed to move. Isn't that the timeline?

Salanoa is on a pretty short list of guys leinster lost they wanted to keep.

I think of value as in what that player brings. I can't think of much higher value in rugby history than 'free, just entering prime henshaw'. That was basically like winning the lottery. If a millionaire wins another million in the lottery, that's still another million.

If Henshaw decides he wants to live and play in Leinster?

So you agree with my statement that Leinster didn't want to lose both Aungier and Salanoa?

That is the key point and why we are where we are with Leinster looking for a THP signing and the usuals clutching their pearls about it.

Lol, i'm sorry you mentioned poaching and i'm obliged to mention Leinster massively benefitting from it. Their fans always seem to forget it.

It's all rumour but as far as i know you wanted aungier after you already let him go.

I think you are getting a THP because that's a weakness in your squad, you have money to burn and the irfu is probably happy with higher level NIQs post world cup. I don't think they are making up for 'poaching'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Considering the amount of time Salanoa has spent on the injury list, I don't think him staying would have made any difference to this situation.

No need to play the victim because I wouldnt let you drag me off topic into a who poached more willy measuring contest.

The fact is that main reason Leinster have a gaping THP hole is because Munster and Connacht poached/attracted/lured/signed guys on the Leinster squad that were being groomed to be ready around the time when Ala'alatoa's contract was done. If one or especially both were still with Leinster the IRFU would likely have a problem with and potentially block Leinster signing an NIQ there. It is how the IRFU have nearly always operated.

Do other provinces profit from poaching from Leinster?

How do you know how much money Leinster have?

You mentioned poaching. I pointed out that A you are the biggest beneficiaries in pure talent from it and B you could have kept Aungier if you wanted to... but you let him go. And... i'm the victim.

I swear to god, its like a whole province of rugby fans born on third base who think they hit a home run.

• Advertisement

of course other provinces do. I just thought the Aungier situation shows how myopic leinster fans can be.

You got by far the biggest added value 'poach' in irish history, and you only wanted aungier after someone else said no. Connacht got tons and tons of guys leinster simply didn't want and were worth nothing to leinster at all. And you got one of the greatest ever irish players fully developed for FREE. I hear endless bitching about the former and nothing about the latter.

You have what, 9 central contracts next year. If you don't have money to burn, fire everyone.

Glad to have experienced during my years of being a Leinster supporter seeing the province go from a national laughing stock, with two men and a dog going to matches in a run down stadium, to being 'born on third base'.

Leinster leadership have built a juggernaut and I really relish the bitterness it has fostered in people who post stuff like you just did.

Your entire argument is that leinster are getting helped out because several years ago, you fucked up by letting Aungier go.

Sure, yea everyone else is weirdly bitter.

What are u on about? Really, like Ulster haven't been helped out, Piennar, Piatau etc. Munster are the biggest beneficiary of private funding and loan restructuring.

Because Henshaw CHOSE to leave Connacht, does not infer poaching. Would it be poaching if he'd chose Munster?

Who said Ulster haven't?

Poaching doesn't exist if a player choosing to go somewhere is not poaching... which is fine by me. The whole concept of poaching is dumb.

No one put a gun to Salanoa or Aungiers heads and drove them to Limerick or Galway.

Leinster fans have this weird thing about 'poaching' when they are one of the biggest beneficiaries. That was my only point. And its pretty damn undeniable because the arguments against it are weak as hell.

Leinster are not big beneficiaries. Henshaw chose Leinster. Who or where do Leinster trawl for players? As compared to say.... Ulster or Connacht.

Didn't Salanoa choose Munster and Aungier choose Connacht?

Is there some sort of conspiracy theory i'm not aware of here? I don't really get it otherwise.

The whole idea of poaching in other sports is also guys choosing. Like if Barcelona poach some 16 year for la masia, that kid chose barcelona. That's not poaching?

I never said Leinster were getting 'helped out', you've just been triggered by me simply highlighting the cause of why a NIQ THP signing is required and why it likely wouldnt be seen as an issue for the IRFU.

You dragging up a player moving who has nothing do with this current situation, with the move taking place nearly a decade ago with a player who isn't a THP or even a forward, shows exactly what you are and what you're trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I'd be concerned about the tupou player. Reading there that this season in 50% of the games this season he's been subbed off before the 30th minute. Seems his conditioning and fitness has gone to the dogs. For a reported 950k a year it seems a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement

You mentioned poaching, i mentioned that leinster fans talk about poaching alot but rarely the biggest one ever in ireland where they were the beneficiary.

I think its related. You don't, that's fine.

I also still have no idea what poaching means.

In my eyes Aungier wasn't poached but it seems from other posters that its the opposite and Salanoa wasn't poached but Aungier was. I don't really get what people see as poaching i guess.

Advertisement