Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel-Gaza: 'We are at war', says Benjamin Netanyahu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Not sure of your response was to me? If it was sorry I hurt your personal feelings? Maybe you could move my wife and kids out of our marginal land and move your own wife and kids in - would that make it better? If it doesn’t maybe you could shoot at my kids if they are not the desired religion to get an extra feeling of acomishment.

You said genocide talk is bollocks talk, that is not the case. Europe is playing safe because of US support for Israel. It’s disgusting really.

Your comments about Hamas and their infrastructure are laughable hence me not replying in any meaningful way to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Which it would be.

It would also quickly become a failed State and a base for further attacks against Israel. For a 2 State solution to work there also has to be an interest in it from Palestine society. There isn't, never has been and never will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Saudi, Egypt and Jordan would end up carrying them. And they have no real interest in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GeminiLad

It is unfortunate aspect of this war that the U.N have been shown to be compromised.

Firstly, UNWRA. Before people start crying out there was no evidence, there obviously was if the head of UNRWA fired 12 employees (iirc).

The other consideration about the U.N is the fact that over previous 24 months there have been more resolutions against Israel than the rest of the world...combined! In my opinion, that is madness when you consider North Korea, Saudi, Syria etc. Israel is after all, a democratic country that allows freedom of expression, religion, sexual orientation and speech.

The compromised U.N has exasperated the entire situation.

Strong leadership is required from major players, U.S and Qatar primarily.

The right wing element in Netanyahu government certainly does not help matters either.

I will add, as much as I agree with you regarding the bombings and planned incursion into Rafah. Israel have to remove last remnants of Hamas. If they don't and allow Hamas to re-group in Gaza, the world is ultimately saving today's children to condemn the children of tomorrow to more of the same.

I understand Israel's position but before any incursion, there has to be a plan for civilians in Gaza. In no way whatsoever should there be any ground incursion without the removal and safe harbor of civilians.

I don't think you have replied in a 'meaningful' way to anything.

• Advertisement

100%. People will say the IDF will not stop but if Hamas release hostages and surrender, israel do not have a leg to stand on. Job is done.

I doubt Israel would leave Gaza due to state of that land currently, but that would be dependent on surrounding Arab countries and who, if anyone would be willing to assist.

Palestinians need hope though. Without hope, status quo will eventually seep back in to their society, even without a Hamas present.

There has to be a plan, a road map (as it was called) to a sovereign Palestinian state and guaranteed security for Israel.

I believe this is the result of an education system taught to hate.

With correct education, the Palestinian people can be partners in peace. It's going to take many years (generations) as we've seen in the North.

But if people do not have hope they will go back to violence. Everyone needs hope.

Exactly, I wouldn’t engage a blinkered lunatic in meaningful debate. It would be akin to trying to convince Hitler he was wrong.

EG: no evidence the IDF did any wrong but lo and behold it was hamas shooting Palestinians getting food aid.

Maybe they could be gathered up and re-educated in a central location to make it easy for their “partner” in peace. Like we see in the east, you know where Israel continues to steal land and move people out of their homes to resettle more of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

correct - I don’t think there is a genocide.

I think you will find that if you put Muslims into a first world country that their population will grow faster than that of the non-Muslims in that country. Check out any European country where this is happening.

Namecalling from the likes of you is just … meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Never is a very inexact term.

The USA WILL certainly abandon Israel, or at least refuse to backstop it to the degree it has done so far, when it decides that it has no further use for it and its interests will be best served by adopting another course.

Countries don't have friends, only interests as the wise old adage has it.

Look how Britain switched sides in the Middle East during the First World War. To pick just the most apposite example.

You're intolerable.

Answer me this.. Was Israel stealing land when forcibly removing settlers from Gaza in 2006 and handing the land over to PA/Fatah.

Big industrial greenhouses remained (built by Israel) to enable Gazans to grow produce and even trade to generate revenue. Hamas destroyed those greenhouses. Completely obliterated them because they were built by the Jews.

Was Israel oppressing the Gazans when removing its people from Gaza? Were Israel 'stealing' land then? And was leaving the maintained industrial greenhouses for Palestinian people an act of oppression?

This was all part of the Roadmap for Peace btw. A peace Israel wanted.

What happend was Fatah and Hamas started to kill each other and the Gazan people voted Hamas (a recognized terrorist group) to govern the land. Many say the election was compromised as Hamas threatened to kill whoever didn't vote for them... but that's hearsay, isn't it.

”The likes of me” - care to explain?

Have you any evidence to back up your claim? I’ve plenty of second generation Muslim friends who have taken on Irish societal norms, and some who have not.

Note: I didn’t call you anythjng - I simply pointed out a Moran not see the correlations.

Israel is the only real ally of U.S in the Middle East. Saudi is a money generator for U.S but they do not share similar ideology, except the hatred of Iran and suppressing Iranian influence.

Israel is basically the U.S in the Middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Biden has always been a fervent admirer and supporter of Israel. And so has Kamala Harris. Look at how Biden kissed Netanyahu's ass when he addressed the House of Congress back in 2011. (from about 40s in)

there is no question HAMAS have done wrong and are horrible in their own way.

Isreal has no interest in peace though, I know you know this deep down. Israel’s current plan is escalation and displacement of what remains of the Palestinians in Gaza.

There is no point you and I getting into detail as you will revert with something bad Hamas did to justify Israel stealing another few square miles of land. The maps speak for themselves as do the walls and the bullet holes.

Ironic. I've a few friends who are active reservist/ex reservists in the IDF.

The IDF is full of normal, civilised human beings. Most have wife's, kids and normal 9-5 jobs in Israel or other countries around the world.

These people do not indiscriminately murder innocent civilians. They are not terrorists, contrary to your beliefs. They are and will always defend the state of Israel.

My nephew met a Muslim friend in college. He started there as a normal lad.. Women, beer and sport. He now wants to study the Qu'ran, visit Pakistan and wants to be a teetotaller. Weird thing is, same thing happened to a good friend of mine in U.K when I was younger. Always after meeting Muslim friends in college/uni.

This is not about stealing land. This war is about Oct 7th and the eradication of a group that is threatening more Oct 7th's.

And mention of land should not be on any table until the eradication of Hamas. If there is then Hamas have been 'rewarded' for the rape and murder of innocent people.

The issue of a right wing element in Netanyahu's government is worrying though. I certainly hope Netanyahu is removed from office as soon as this war is over and a more center (stable) government is elected.

But as I've said in previous posts.. Palestinian people need hope and it is in Israel's interest to give then hope, or more war and needless loss of life will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

‘Partners in peace’.

This is a partner that tells anyone who will listen that they are a fully fledged democracy. A democracy that was created on the basis of a contrived majority. It’s a democracy all right; a Jewish democracy for a Jewish people.

This is a partner that prevents the Palestinian people building on their own land.  A government that continues to build settler homes while breaking international law. A partner that describes the exiling of Palestinians as a ‘transfer’. A partner that refuses right of return to Palestinians but allows Jews from all over the world the right to ‘return’ to Israel and become Israeli citizens.  

This is a partner that happens to be a nuclear power. A country that receives a $4b US military subvention every year. A country with the one of most advanced militaries in the world. How many people killed and maimed is too many in pursuit of Israel’s military aims?

You don’t have to be a history buff to know what’s happening in Gaza.  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Several days ago, Iscreamcone didn't answer me when I pointed out that the only realistic alternative to a two-state solution is a one-state solution; and then today when I pointed out that there are no other possible longterm solutions they started on with some bullshít about "Arabs would outbreed the Jews in 20 mins and run them out of the country in quick time" - their words not mine.

As though the whole idea of Israel wasn't to kill and terrorise the Arabs and force them out of their homes so that there would be more Jews than Arabs left in Palestine. So they think that's the numbers game is fine if the Jews are on top, but not if Arabs are.

And then various other hasbara posters came on stream to spew the Israeli lies over and over again as though we haven't all heard and read them ad nauseam over the past decades.

• Advertisement

Is there a country in the Middle East where a minority Jewish population has been looked after by a majority of Arabs. Jewish populations have dwindled to nothing everywhere. Why do you think this would be different if Jews were a minority in Israel?

You lot are living in cuckoo land

An Arab majority in Israel would be October 7th on steroids.

Jews are already a minority in Palestine. In my opinion, this is the main reason why the slaughter was unleashed on Gaza. It is a new attempt at reducing the Palestinian Arab population, by murder and by forcing people to flee.

Ironically, there have been reports of mass emigration by Jews from Israel over the same period. I have seen reports of half a million, and even of one and a half million - but who knows where the truth lies? Israel has always been cagey about population statistics, and never more so than when dealing with Jews emigrating. There has always been movement of Jews out of Israel, but it ratcheted up when the current government came to power, and when the slaughter in Gaza began, it got a renewed impetus.

An Arab majority is a likely outcome. That's what happens when you take over another country, particularly when your own numbers are limited. It's exactly the same as the situation in Ireland where the British/protestant population never managed to become a majority; and the same as happened in Rhodesia (no longer with us; today Zimbabwe has taken its place), South Africa, Algeria. All countries once ruled by a settler population, and today all run by the native population.

I'd suggest that you study Algeria and South Africa for two opposing solutions. In one case, the settlers fled within weeks of being abandoned by France, in the other the Apartheid system was dismantled and most of the settlers remain. It's your choice which route you take, as the USA is in the process of disengaging from Israel because more and more Americans are horrified by Israel's appalling treatment of the Palestinian people. This is forcing a rethink in the Democratic party which will eventually lead to withdrawal of support for Zionism, and that will bring about the failure of the Zionist experiment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: It's easy to tell the bank holiday weather wasn't great and has resulted in lots of free time to indulge in name calling and insult-by-innuendo.

This is a discussion form, not a street protest. If you can't keep your cool and debate then you have no place here.

You are not free to insult others. You are only free to counter their arguments.

This will be the only warning, anyone I believe to be insulting another poster, in any fashion, will be removed from this discussion.

If you wish to be able to continue to argue your points then behave!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Is there another Jewish country that has looked after a minority?

You’re also forgetting the facilitation of the formation of Israel in your limited questioning.

For hardline right wingers and Benjamin Netanyahu, October 7th was Christmas,Hanukkah and Kwanzaa rolled in to one; they knew they could unleash hell unchecked and ride the crest of that political wave for a long time. For a country that was founded out of extreme hate, they sure learned how to replicate dehumanization.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I made a comment on the soccer pages of this site which was removed because it wasn’t the right forum, perhaps here is the correct place for it?

The comment was echoing a comment I heard Labour TD Aodan O’Riordan make on the Tonight Show on Virgin Media recently.

We need to treat this Israeli government like the way the Apartheid regime in South Africa were treated in the 1970’s and 80’s. They should be boycotted. Sports teams shouldn’t play against them. Artists, musicians and bands shouldn’t perform there. Economic trade should cease with them until such time that they start to behave themselves in a remotely humane manner. An all out boycott of Israel across the scale throughout Europe and eventually shame the US into agreeing with the boycott of Israel and the ostracising of them due to their horrendous genocidal behaviour in Gaza.

The boycott of Apartheid South Africa worked. Time to implement a similar strategy on this Israeli regime.

Yet, when Israel hold out the hand of peace, the Palestinians bite it. Crazy isn't it. But that is what has happened.

I'm sure you are aware there are Arabs and Muslims living in Israel with more peace and security than any Arab or Muslim in another land around that region. Peace, prosperity and opportunity for all. That is a democracy isn't it? For there are elected Arab politicians sitting in the Knesset and their vote carries the same weight as any Jewish politician sitting in the same building. Furthermore, it was an Arab judge who presided over and sentenced the former President of Israel to jail during his corruption trial (Olmert). In addition, there is an israeli-arab judge currently presiding on the panel of the Supreme Court!

The military aid some might call a necessity. For there is no shortage of hatred towards the state of Israel in that region. Gaza has been provided with billions of aid, little flowed through to the people who needed it though. Hamas as the governing body of that land siphoned most of it off to finance their military/terrorist endeavours. Those rockets might not be precision guided but there also not cheap and nor is the underground network they use to hide below innocent people.

I don't believe a Netanyahu government is committed to peace, but I wholeheartedly believe the Israeli people are. Once this tragic war comes to a conclusion and the investigation in to wtf happened on Oct 7th begins with the removal of Netanyahu/Likud and the right wingers in government, there may just be a small window of opportunity to get the right people in the right positions of power to work towards a lasting peace.

My question is will the Palestinians do the same. It takes two to tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A lot of wishful thinking in this post. We’ve been here before when Israeli political leaders like Rabin attempted to forge a lasting peace settlement in Israel/Palestine. He and Arafat facilitated by Clinton went a long way towards a sustainable settlement. Rabin was assassinated soon after. Facilitating and enabling one shower of extremists over the other isn’t a solution.

• Advertisement

The problem is there is no answer. So the Status Quo will remain.

Israel have probably created thousands more would be terrorists with this Gaza operation but in reality, there was not much else Israel could do after an attack like Oct 7th. Force must be met with force. But the way Hamas fight there has been so many lives destroyed and anger/retribution must be at an all time high on both sides of the fence.

It's a complete lack of leadership.

In order to achieve Clinton's roadmap for peace, there should never have been a place for Hamas in Gaza. That organization should never have been allowed to take part in an election when classified by most of the civilised world as a terror group. Who knows what could have been achieved if there was no Hamas in Gaza. But, I suspect it would have turned out the same. That region always falls back into a status quo.

With the rise of extreme right in Israel and the aftermath of a campaign in Gaza that has destroyed so many innocent lives, I cannot see it either.

Hamas ideology will live on too, long after the group has been eliminated. With what we have seen in Gaza/West Bank, that is obvious.

Most Palestinians see the whole land of Israel as their rightful land. Nobody can offer the kind of security guarantee Israel requires to facilitate a Palestinian state.

Advertisement