Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

Antisemitic and Islamophobic? You'll have to explain that.

And it's very unusual for a key government member in one country to interfere in the affairs of a supposedly friendly country. Usually decisions about when to have elections are decided by the nation themselves, and other countries respect the internal processes in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You deride him as a "schmuck" simply and only because you disagree with him and, he is Jewish. You have no shame.

In no way did Schumer "interfere" with the affairs of another country by saying 'they should have new elections' come off it.

I called him a Schmuck because that's an insult that best rhymes with Chuck. Not sure how that's anti-Semitic. And telling another country they should have new elections is highly unusual.

Perhaps, but things are different now. Mizrahi (aka Middle Eastern ancestry) Jews and their descendants are now a very large portion of Israeli Jews and they tend to be among the most right-wing Jews in the Israeli population. They form the support base for Likud and make up many of the "settlers" who live beyond the '67 borders.

Make no mistake - as far as Middle Eastern Jews are concerned, Israel is their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Christians there for "just as long" despite the fact that Judaism predates Christianity (and Islam) by thousands of years? Ok then.

Don't know why people feel the need to rewrite history in their quest to try and claim that all Jews are "white" and aren't native to the Middle East

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The UK however very pointedly said any recommendation from the UN and UNSCOP had to be agreed upon by both sides.

It wasn't. And when it was clear it wasn't the UK said they can have no part in implementing the recommendation or the creation of Israel.

An awful lot of countries agreed with them but we're either strongarmed or bribed by the US.

It's actually staggering arrogance from the US that created the problem(a country who 20 years earlier thought it was a stupid idea)...and aot of it because of a sense of guilt over their ignoring what was happening to European Jews for the previous 20ish years, and because they didn't want to take them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Not trying to rewrite anything. Maybe the wording was poor. I meant Christians had been living in the region for the same time period as the Jews who stayed from the end of the Judean state, more or less 2000 years. Of course the Jews were there before the Christians.

Plus a huge amount of pressure applied by the Jewish lobby, including Senators, Congressmen etc.

Perhaps if those hostages had all been white, while waving a white flag and shirtless, the IDF wouldn’t have shot them in cold blood for being males of “fighting age”

As opposed to your post accusing me of anti-Semitism, which was just bizarre and patently absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"It's actually staggering arrogance from the US that created the problem(a country who 20 years earlier thought it was a stupid idea)...and aot of it because of a sense of guilt over their ignoring what was happening to European Jews for the previous 20ish years, and because they didn't want to take them"

Yeah, and the German-American Bund was influential '20 years earlier' and the US had the original "America Firsters" like Lindbergh holding sway. Plus openly Nazi rallies, too, and prominent anti-Semites like Father Coughlin. Wonder why "they didn't want to take them?"

As for bribery and strong-arming, sure and the Arabs in the region just sat on their hands during the process (which went on for years,) amiright? Utter scutter, politics is politics, play or lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the people who were Christians were there before they became Christians.....................so going on about the religion itself is not valid

The only thing patently absurd is making antisemitic swipes at the senator because he is a Jewish senator critical of netanyahoo

Ok, now you're putting words in my mouth. I took a swipe at Chucky Schumer because I think he and his party are jackasses. I couldn't care less about his religion.

The claim that I took my swipe was "antisemitic" or "because he is a Jewish senator" is a straight up lie.

The arab nations didnt sit on their hands. The palestinan reps boycotted though as they didn't believe it was going to be in anyway fair. This is based on the previous 30 years of rising zionism and living under a colonial power. They can be forgiven for thinking that it was not going to be fair.

When they finally agreed to come to the table after work by a few countries,who insisted no deal could be done without their input, they were dismissed. There has already been a very indepth look into the workings of UNSCOP linked in this thread. Arguably the best research into both the legal workings of the committee and the general history.

So you agree, your hyperbole about it being 'US arrogance' was just that? I agree they didn't just sit on their hands- the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was a big Hitler supporter, I guess that was his solution for the 'rising zionism.' All this happening in that 20 year period you led the earlier post with.

If there was ever an example of Palestinians (Arabs back then) never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity, the Arab's behavior viz. UNSCOP is a classic. And they were later ignored? Was it the death threats, boycotts or overall hostility you think might've led to the committee being hostile to their leaders that were invited to the discussions, but would rather just make threats?

Plus ca change and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont get why people focus on the past of either community when civilians are being killed in the tens of thousands now. This will not bring peace in the country now or in the future.

Agreed (seems you can't see who thanks your posts anymore.)

I didn't agree and it wasn't hyperbole. They strong armed far too many countries with threats to accept the partition plan, countries who were reticient throughout the entire process

They boycotted the UN talks because they felt the UN were not following their own charter on the rights of people to self-determination. They asked the UN to follow their own charter, but that was dismissed. That is the underlying issue here, the local populations being ignored whilst Western countries decide their fate. The Palestinians were never offered the right to self-determination, but the Zionists were allowed to come in and set up their own state. In the post WW1 period, many European countries got to decide their own futures, whether as part of brand new states Czechslovakia, Yugoslavia etc or reborn states such as Poland. Self-determination was the buzz-word post WW1 even though it was still at the whim of the great powers. Ireland was never given a hearing for example. Likewise the Arabs were not allowed to decide their own fate.

The Arabs were asked what they wanted in the King-Crane commission(answer: a pan-Arab state covering Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan), but that was of course ignored by the British/French because it did not suit their interests under Sykes-Picot. The Arabs had little faith in the Western powers and rightfully so, and little influence with the Western powers like the US in contrast to the Jewish lobby. The Arabs actually controlled Greater Syria after WW1, but the French fought them and took control of the area. Why would the Arabs be confident in engaging with people who had shown time after time that they had little interest in the wishes of the people of the region?

This headline dupes you into believing a top hamas leader was in the hospital

The article, paywalled, says different:

JERUSALEM — Israel’s army said Monday it had killed a Hamas official inside Gaza City’s al-Shifa medical complex, an operation that unfolded as experts warned that the northern part of the enclave may already be in the grip of famine.

The White House, meanwhile, confirmed that Marwan Issa, the deputy commander of the Hamas’s military wing, was killed in an Israeli strike earlier this month in central Gaza.

Faiq Mabhouh is the lower official claimed to be killed in the hospital. US has not confirmed that one at all, IDF merely alleged it.

An Al Jazeera correspondent, Ismail Alghoul, was among a number of journalists detained at the scene, the network said. The Qatari-owned network said that Alghoul was released after 12 hours, during which time he was beaten and his recording equipment was destroyed. The IDF said it was looking into the claims.

The Most Moral Army TM

• Advertisement

Schmuck isn't reserved for Jewish people though? Yes it's Yiddish but is applied to and used by anyone regardless of their ethnicity (although it's not exactly a common word these days). Same as klutz. I would think as an American you would know this.

Klutz is another one we never see applied. Klutz would be another antisemitic dogwhistle applied here. If Schmuck was a common perjorative around here it's lost on me. Can you tell me where else you've seen it used on Boards recently?

Can you think of another insult that rhymes with "Chuck?"

'F*ck Schumer.'

You walked right into that, per se.

Now also remember people lost their **** over the use of the word shill because they were morons thinking it had aome antisemitic connotations

I don't know about boards but Klutz and schmuck are both words in common usage in America and are not only applied to Jewish people at all, as you have claimed. Their use generally wouldn't be considered anti semitic unless there was some other context .

If this were an American site, where the pejoratives showed up with any regularity, you might be a quarter of the way to a point.

More like a distinction without a difference. And though I commend your expertise in obscenities, the f word is generally not used as a noun, at least in my experience. I was looking for a noun-based insult that rhymed with Chuck, ergo, Schmuck. As for your post about words like klutz and schmuck being used commonly in the US but not elsewhere, you should know that US culture is exported throughout the world by TV shows, and many Irish people have spent time in the US and vice versa.

As to what I was attempting to do: that was very simple. Insult a jackass politician for whom I don't really have much regard. Any claim to the contrary is false.

• Advertisement

You doth protest too much. It is very commonly used as a noun, despite your pleaded ignorance to the contrary. You’d know this per that exported culture you just crowed about. Interesting that you’ve fallen back on “jackass” now after being called out for your antisemitism.

Advertisement