Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

Other than the tweets, why are people blaming Roderic for all this? It's his job to house them, given the numbers coming in he's doing a pretty good job. Surely it's hard to argue with that. The blame should be focused on Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

He posted on Twitter inviting people here. This is his policy.

Though you are right, this is 10 years coming. Failure to deal with it and just kicking it down the road

Are they coming because of his tweets, or our useless immigration system?

Roderic doesn't have anything to do with immigration policy by the way, that's all on Helen. Also it's Helen's responsibility to ensure that whatever meager processes we have are implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Both. I’d harbour a guess that we are seen as soft touch internationally. When the Ukraine war broke out we had to scream the loudest that we were giving the mostest. I’m sure other potential applicants looked at this and said I’ll have some of this. Look at the numbers from Nigeria. At O’Gorman had the good sense to want that country on the safe list. But the best justice minister of modern times thought otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Women and children first ...no? well ok then

they're nearly all 20-40yr old singles males .....in droves! it's nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They arrived into Ireland at the same time as women and children asylum seekers. The state offered accommodation to the women and children, but not to the men (claiming there is none available). The government could easily have a scenario where women and children were sleeping in the tents on the streets and in the fields, but would clearly be terrified of the bad publicity and the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally untrue and you know this. Not including refugees from Ukraine the vast majority of immigration into this country is young men in designer gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

prove it. show us the evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No, no, you don't understand this is all the green parties fault and if we just give Fianna fail and fine gael one more chance they will surely be different.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What do you mean untrue?

"Hundreds of international protection applicants had been in a makeshift camp outside the International Protection Office on Mount Street for months. They were taken by bus to alternative accommodation - understood to be other tents - on Saturday morning."

This is not the post I replied to.

Your woman and children comment was the one that I totally do not agree with

Coming in ahead to build the house n earn the money in high powered job dont ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If the government are so inept at providing housing and health care to the citizens and people who moved here then they have to grow balls and eat humble pie . Tell the other ministers and dignitaries of other countries that we haven’t the capacity to provide shelter to refugees . The fcuking politicians and governmental structures are so inept . We’re a joke of a country .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Helen's answer is to legitimise them all in ceremonies that give away Irish citizenship like cereal box prizes. All they have to do is collect the freebies and drag out the application/appeal process long enough (and maybe get some misguided locals on-side) and BOOM.. suddenly they're now legally entitled to everything.

As I've said before, that woman is one of the most dangerous and destructive politicians we've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

If you are on a lifeboat built for five people and you offer twenty people a lift - you are not a hero, you are not compassionate, you are an idiot and it's your fault if everyone drowns.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

We have done our bit. No more are welcome in my view.

• Advertisement

I'm all for letting more in ,but with one condition. The people who are rallying around waving welcome to all banners are made shelter them.

I still remember the last big welcome rally in Dublin when a reporter went around asking this welcome all crowd about maybe taking in a few refugees or immigrants. The answers were really astonishing. Safe to say he couldn't find one taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Would you accept though that there are misguided volunteers and also NGOs trying to encourage them to stay.bdelf preservation and all that.

I would think they're being encouraged to stay on. I'd also believe the NGOs are fighting their corner to keep them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not to be putting words into the posters mouth, but I doubt he was looking over our neighbours wall with any sense of envy, rather pointing to the fact we spend far too much time here peeping over the garden fence at the neighbours rather than tending our own garden... The politicians mentioned have resigned from office to the back benches depleting their influence substantially

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

If someone is coming from a place where civilians are being harmed or where the situation is that they are living in poverty and malnutrition I can't see myself closing the door. There has to be some humanity shown towards people in that situation.

I don't have the answer to how to accommodate and financially support them while keeping adequate resources for everyone else unfortunately.

I'm completely against any individual who protests outside a place that is housing these people. Protest outside the local government/council building if you want to but don't form a mob outside a building housing people who likely left very bad conditions to try to make a better life for themselves. If I see you in a group outside one of these accommodations I don't care what you have to say, you are already in the wrong.

There are many ways to protest without making innocent people fear for their safety so pick any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Because the riots was a bunch of kids and junkies looking to loot and cause a bit of mayhem while they has the safety in numbers of the mob. Most of them couldn't name 3 politicians and their actions has nothing to do with protesting any issue. None of them broke into Easons to get a book to educate themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Liberal Swedish politician who 'turned Right-wing' apologizes for her ‘refugees welcome’ stance and calls it her ‘greatest shame’

“I pleaded for openness and Refugees Welcome policies. Now I advocate for an even stricter migration policy than the one I opposed back then.”

Over a third of Sweden's population now has a foreign background, that figure was 11% n 1987. Approximately 20% of Sweden residents have non-European and non-Western ancestry. 

The great repl.... She made her bed. other people suffered. F*ck 'er

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

20 years ago I had a loooong commute between Belfast and Dublin. My Dublin employer soundly allowed a late start for me. I got the train mostly but sometimes the bus.

Regularly the buses would be stopped near Dundalk. The gardai had not much interest in me but zeroed in others. A Fillipo couple who were going to Dublin airport were removed from the bus I guess to Dundalk garda station. Seemed a little harsh for me as they were going to the airport and Dublin has vastly more international options than Belfast. Rules are rules I guess and they were on a UK visa. Yeah did seem harsh to me and I suppose they missed their flights.

This all was a long time ago. Anytime I listen to the roving reporter of Pat Kenny Show it is consistent that people arrive in Belfast airport and not Dublin. They then make their way to Dublin. I read oh so much focus on Dublin airport and missing documents but most arrive from Belfast.

It may be likely impossible to stop every bus as it leaves Newry and goes onwards to Dundalk but it was done decades ago. It could be done again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Some of this cohort and their advisors seem to be extremely poor at assessing situations properly.

McEntees thinking is so simplistic - as if the problems will dissappear upon handing out citizenship. This is a prime example of why we have to change our politics as a country. She should not have the position she currently has.

I'm astounded by some of the things that come out of this Govt. On one too many occasions I've been left thinking- they can't be this incompetent can they?? And given them the benefit of the doubt.

But they are. Really really poor performers and calibre of politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh absolutely. The "charity" / NGO sector here is big business these days. It's absolutely in these groups interests to "keep em coming", "support" them in their applications, and make noise about how "unfair" it all is in the gullible media.

It's also partly down to the "need" in some for approval or validation. To be seen to be "doing the right thing" and vocally supportive of whatever "crusade" is currently trending.

Naive at best. Downright dangerous at worst. Most of the people they're advocating for don't care about Ireland or its people. They're here for what they can get (as evidenced again by the Mount Street lads over the weekend) and see us as exploitable fools. That lack of respect then carries over into some of the other problems we've seen - not in all cases no, but enough to be worrisome.

We need to start standing up for ourselves and our country. Democratically, through elections and forums like this (I would always condemn any violence or destruction as we've seen too unfortunately - it only plays into the hands of the advocates if nothing else), and not being afraid to make our concerns or frustrations felt to those we elect to serve US - not a never-ending flood of randomers with sad stories (that often don't stand up to even basic scrutiny anyway).

That's how the changes we need will happen. Not immediately, but as the tone has changed from Government in the last 2 months, the message CAN be gotten through eventually.

Advertisement